Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

coathat posted:

The My Little Monster ova finally got subbed. It's hilarious and exceptionally dumb. Now I'm even more hyped to get volume one come March.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shuuden-na-Kankei
Hibari is a young professional who works long hours and inevitably rides the last train home. It's not all bad. She also runs into the train station worker, Yokose. Yokose is kind and polite and is always looking out for Hibari as she often sleeps defenselessly (and with a bit of drool) on her way home. Their brief encounters are a bright spot in her hectic days.

It's cute.

Romances with an older man in manga tend to be either just okay, creepy or Usagi Drop.

This was absolutely adorable and heartwarming and it's been a while since I rooted for the main couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
my favourite recent Josei is 3 AM Dangerous Zone, it mixes realistic 20's romance, brutal (but funny) contemporary working conditions and has decent artwork

update schedule probably couldn't be slower though

Vesi fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 2, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I checked a random series on Kissmanga and it was this one, "My Wife is Wagatsuma-Sama", which while I'm only a few chapters in, seems like it could be an interesting romcom/supernatural series, what with what happens at the end of chapter 3. It's definitely got a unique twist to it, but I don't know if it's a series that wastes its potential or not. Definitely will read more after the three-chapter test, though.

Also, the main dude makes a crazy reaction face like every other page in the first chapter, which I approve heartily of.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

I checked a random series on Kissmanga and it was this one, "My Wife is Wagatsuma-Sama", which while I'm only a few chapters in, seems like it could be an interesting romcom/supernatural series, what with what happens at the end of chapter 3. It's definitely got a unique twist to it, but I don't know if it's a series that wastes its potential or not. Definitely will read more after the three-chapter test, though.

Also, the main dude makes a crazy reaction face like every other page in the first chapter, which I approve heartily of.
There's a thread for it.

I started reading it but gave up after a few issues because it's mainly tits and juvenile humour, which is fine, I guess, but not what I'm looking for at the moment. The faces are great and I think the concept has potential. It wasn't a good sign that I didn't want anyone to marry the protagonist (or any of his buddies). Unless there's a massive turnaround where some of the characters actually develop, I don't think I'll be reading any more.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 2, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Vesi posted:

my favourite recent Josei is 3 AM Dangerous Zone, it mixes realistic 20's romance, brutal (but funny) contemporary working conditions and has decent artwork

Love that artwork! Giving that a read.

New Kimi ni Todoke chapter 84
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/203995/kimi-ni-todoke_ch84_by_s2scans
Seriously though, marriage? You guys are like 16 or 17 relax a little bit.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's on crunchyroll's new manga reader too. Haven't read it though.

Have you read Paradise Kiss? Go buy and read it, like right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

There's a thread for it.

I started reading it but gave up after a few issues because it's mainly tits and juvenile humour. The faces are great and I think the concept has potential, but it wasn't a good sign that I didn't want anyone to marry the protagonist (or any of his buddies).

Oh haha, I think I even clicked that thread ages ago but just didn't register it. That's unfortunate if it's a status quo hell of immaturity, since it's completely possible for a series to have a loser protagonist evolve over time. Just look at Boys on the Run.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Vesi posted:

Yeah they are the scan croup that pisses me off the most. Too many series and way too slow.

Y'all need to get ready since at the end of the month Verticle is brining us Pink,a new manga by Kyoko Okazaki.
http://www.amazon.com/PINK-Kyoko-Okazaki/dp/1939130123/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383410697&sr=1-1&keywords=Pink
Pink is a manga about a Japanese girl named Yumi, a beautiful girl in her early 20's. During the day, Yumi works as a regular office lady , but by night, she works as a prostitute. Yumi needs her two jobs to make ends meet. She also needs the extra income to feed her unusual pet, a crocodile, which she keeps in her apartment.

If you haven't gotten it already they published Helter Skelter earlier this fall and it owns. http://www.amazon.com/Helter-Skelter-Unfriendly-Kyoko-Okazaki/dp/1935654837/ref=pd_sim_b_2

And volume 15 of Oresama Teacher is gonna be here next week.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Have you read Paradise Kiss? Go buy and read it, like right now.
It's on my list. I wasn't sure whether to go for the anime or the manga. I think I avoided it in the past due to the fashion angle. I'm weird in that I have a lot of time for functional fashion, clothing design, materials, etc, but I'm not particularly interested in the decorative, faddish stuff of the Fruits variety. I'm not sure that Paradise Kiss is even about that, though. Everything I've heard about it has been good, and it's not like I was at all into karuta (or that it particularly mattered that I was into it) before Chihayafuru stole my heart.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Paradise Kiss is incredible and only 5 volumes, a perfect length to tell its story. You should really read it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aya Nakahara, the author of Lovely Complex, has a new josei series called Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai/Please Love the Useless Me.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dame-na-Watashi-ni-Koishite-Kudasai

Twenty nine year old Shibata Michiko is broke, unemployed and dating a college student who she spends all of her rapidly dwindling money on. After a series of failed job interviews she happens to run into Kurosawa, her old supervisor, who was intimidating and was constantly on her case at work, and whom she never even remotely got along with.

Josei romance shenanigans are sure to follow.

Five chapters out so far.

vvvvv
This man speaks the truth! Seriously, it is pretty freakin' amazing so far.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 3, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's absolutely hilarious. Y'all should check it out for sure.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

a kitten posted:

Aya Nakahara, the author of Lovely Complex, has a new josei series called Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai/Please Love the Useless Me.

This is wonderful and charming; can't wait to see where it goes from here. Also, I'm a big fan of Terui and his amazing hair.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what it says about me that I'm enjoying a series about a huge idiot getting saved by hyper-competent people, but I adore this series.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Josei romance shenanigans

Yeah, that one is pretty great. I was planning on posting about it and a couple others but was waiting for more content to come out just in case they turned creepy. I'm having to phone post and can't get to my reading list right now but as soon as I can I'll post a couple titles with older men -- I look for stuff with older guys and have run across a few with varied success.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

a kitten posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dame-na-Watashi-ni-Koishite-Kudasai

Awesome! This was really what I needed this past weekend, and as always the reaction faces are excellent.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

If you guys haven't checked out Cheese in the trap you are seriously missing out. The lead girl is super likable , along with almost all of the supporting cast. You have to do some wackadoodle stuff to read it (install a naveer (??) reader and blah blah, odd squad url) but it is so addicting.

Also I'm probably way late but Adagami no Shirayukihime is also really really good. Strong female lead, strong male lead (manages to avoid all the creepy over-bearing hyper controlling abusive tropes).

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's a new chapter of Taiyou no Ie. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-009-Ch-033--Front-and-Back?id=178807
It's so good.

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's a new manga by the Kuragehime mangaka being translated! It's good!

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/kakukaku-shikajika-r10369
This is an autobiography of the author, whose real name is Akiko Hayashi, which begins while she's in her third year of high school. Through her friend Futami, Akiko starts going to an art class led by Kenzou Hidaka, an intimidating teacher who spends much of his time yelling at his students and keeping them focused on drawing with the use of a bamboo sword. Akiko is initially confused by the behavior of the teacher and her fellow students in the class, but she keeps going regardless, eventually becoming the manga author she is today.

Also one of Tamura Yumi's early series is getting translated. Just like her other manga 7 Seeds and Basara this one is badass. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/tomoe-ga-yuku-r8900
After the death of a close friend, Tomoe, a former roller skater, joins a famous stunt men troupe, the Green Ship. The head of this troupe, Kazusa, becomes her lover, but Tomoe soon discovers that the Green Ship is a sinister crime organisation and that her dear Kazusa is a cold-hearted killer. A difficult struggle begins for Tomoe, not only against the organisation but to get away from Kazusa, who wants his lover back, dead or alive!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

coathat posted:

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/kakukaku-shikajika-r10369
This is an autobiography of the author, whose real name is Akiko Hayashi, which begins while she's in her third year of high school. Through her friend Futami, Akiko starts going to an art class led by Kenzou Hidaka, an intimidating teacher who spends much of his time yelling at his students and keeping them focused on drawing with the use of a bamboo sword. Akiko is initially confused by the behavior of the teacher and her fellow students in the class, but she keeps going regardless, eventually becoming the manga author she is today.

I'm ridiculously exited for this!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coathat posted:

Speaking of which, the third chapter is out today: http://mangafox.me/manga/kakukaku_shikajika/v01/c003/1.html

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is so, good. Hell it even reminds me of myself a little bit, when I went from being a very, very modestly talented kid from a small town who drew all the time to being in college and surrounded by people whose talent and drive absolutely dwarfed mine.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A fourth chapter of Kakukaku Shikajika! http://mangafox.me/manga/kakukaku_shikajika/v01/c004/1.html

It is still so, so good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some stuff I'm reading, the common thread here is older characters (late 20s-30s mostly) and/or an older love interest.

&

quote:

Aoki Kaoru is a 26-year-old woman who has never had a boyfriend. Normally unattached and unmotivated in her own life, Kaoru decides to start up a nail salon as a side business in addition to her regular job as a medical clerk. Although having a severe adversity to physical touch, she is forced to confront that fear when she meets a man who can’t help but touch others.
This is by Okazaki Mari who also wrote Suppli, which I have heard is excellent but have not had a chance to track down. I'm really enjoying this one, although less for the romance and more for Kaoru's growth and the slice of life work elements. I would actually like a little more time spent on her business endeavors and am hoping from the latest chapter there will be more development on that front.

Otoko no Isshou

quote:

Douzono Tsugumi, who works for a major electrical company, spends her vacation at her grandmother's home in the country. Her grandmother soon passes away during hospitalization, and Tsugumi decides to continue living in her grandmother's house. However, a mysterious man shows up holding the key to the rear house, and despite not fully comprehending the relationship he had with her grandmother, they begin living together.
Unfortunately there are only 4 chapters translated and it hasn't been updated since July. :( The old guy is kind of a dick but hard to pass judgement overall at this point in the story. I'm holding on to this one and hoping it doesn't turn out creepy/skeevy like Ane no Kekkon by the same mangaka.

Regarding Ane no Kekkon:

quote:

Iwatani Yori is a 39-year-old woman who leads a quiet life while working at the library. She thinks things like love and marriage are too troublesome. A handsome, but suspicious man appears before her, claiming to be an old childhood friend. While suspected to be a fraud, Maki has cared for Yori since he was a boy. But he's also a married man married to a woman that looks exactly like Yori. This apparently doesn't stop him from chasing down Yori who desperately tries to avoid him.
I was drawn to this one by the sweet lure of old folks romance but my impression of it thus far has been that the guy is a creepy stalker obsessed with this woman to the point that his wife looks just like her, which is played like a gag but really just shows the depth of his fixation. I keep reading updates hoping it will get better (also because I am bored and don't really have much in the way of standards) but it probably won't. She needs to go to the cops but I guess will fall in love instead? Ugh.

Sekine-kun no Koi

quote:

Sekine Keiichiro is handsome, intelligent, and popular. He's a jack-of-all-trades who's loved by women. Loved, that is, until they find out he's passionless and stoic and completely lacking in conviction. In a moment of self-reflection he starts hunting: can anything make him feel? He's about to find out.
Sekine is kind of a hosed-up individual who really needs some therapy. His past is fairly dark (sexual abuse) and he is occassionally creepy and semi-threatening. That said, he's trying really hard to better himself and since this is manga and getting a girlfriend/boyfriend solves all problems, I'm rooting for the guy. :3:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I had read the first couple of chapters of Taiyou no Ie a long while back, and had kind of written off the series for whatever reason. I was sort of getting Oresama Teacher vibes (a series I was thoroughly disappointed with); I don't know, some kind of vague romantic tension between a tsundere girl and a "bad boy" male lead? I just skimmed it, really.

Of course that's probably the laziest and most superficial (if not outright wrong) take on it, and now having completed chapter 15 I'm completely hooked. It's just a really, really great drama. Though there is decidedly a romance subplot, the larger themes about family, loneliness, and finding a place to belong are far more important and stronger. Good stuff.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Everything Burrito posted:

Some stuff I'm reading, the common thread here is older characters (late 20s-30s mostly) and/or an older love interest.
A couple of these look really good.

Nate RFB posted:

I had read the first couple of chapters of Taiyou no Ie a long while back, and had kind of written off the series for whatever reason. I was sort of getting Oresama Teacher vibes (a series I was thoroughly disappointed with); I don't know, some kind of vague romantic tension between a tsundere girl and a "bad boy" male lead? I just skimmed it, really.

Of course that's probably the laziest and most superficial (if not outright wrong) take on it, and now having completed chapter 15 I'm completely hooked. It's just a really, really great drama. Though there is decidedly a romance subplot, the larger themes about family, loneliness, and finding a place to belong are far more important and stronger. Good stuff.
This looks cool, too.

I need to learn to only read series that are already complete or have dozens of volumes already translated. I keep blowing through interesting stuff and then spending weeks fruitlessly checking to see if there's a new issue out.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 16, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

A couple of these look really good.

This looks cool, too.

I need to learn to only read series that are already complete or have dozens of volumes already translated. I keep blowing through interesting stuff and then spending weeks fruitlessly checking to see if there's a new issue out.
Kissmanga lets you bookmark series and email you when new chapters are released. It's handy!

And Taiyou no Ie is outstanding, really. Still wondering where it's going, but so far it's been absolutely excellent.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Batoto does the same, so I have a huge list of stuff I'm actively reading plus titles I run across and plan to read later. I could never keep track of what I was following and where I left off otherwise -- I've tried using a combo of sorted bookmarks and a notepad file to remind me where I left off but it really doesn't work. I fell out of reading scans for a long time because it was just too much of a pain to keep up with.

I said I hadn't had a chance to track down the English volumes of Suppli and this afternoon it was on my mind so I managed to find all of them. Looking forward to reading it in a couple of days. Unfortunately it looks like Tokyopop stopped at volume 5 and never finished it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Those are all good manga but it's important to remember that shoujo manga isn't just about romance. It's also about insane murderers and illegal motorcycle races. So get to reading the new chapter of Sukeban Deka. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/206745/sukeban-deka_v2_ch3.1_by_happyscans

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was enjoying the anime of My Little Monster until the second episode ended with a confession and at the start of the next episode were like psyche!!. Is it worth it to keep watching?

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's very very good. Although you'll have to read the manga since it only covers about a third of the story.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Devil Tesla posted:

I was enjoying the anime of My Little Monster until the second episode ended with a confession and at the start of the next episode were like psyche!!. Is it worth it to keep watching?

It does keep a back and forth going, but I found it to be a good fun show regardless of it. I'd definitely give it a recommend since it's only 12(13?) episodes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does she ever actually put him on a leash or is that just the promo art? This will greatly affect my enjoyment of the anime thank you.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
To my recollection, promo only.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

coathat posted:

Those are all good manga but it's important to remember that shoujo manga isn't just about romance. It's also about insane murderers and illegal motorcycle races. So get to reading the new chapter of Sukeban Deka. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/206745/sukeban-deka_v2_ch3.1_by_happyscans

This is a pretty unintentionally hilarious series in that the villains are so over-the-top evil in that 70s-80s style :allears:
Gloriously campy. I hope they release more scanslations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

From a few pages back, but out of all of these Sekitou Elergy is definitely that sounded like my sort of thing. It's pretty good so far. Are there any other good romance series where the main girl is sort of a tomboy/delinquent or are those rare for romance?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A new chapter of Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa and oh boy, with what happens in this chapter I can't wait to see what other types of monster movie creatures-turned-schoolgirls we'll get. I love that she's got a literal screw loose in her larger self's head, too. :allears:

Five chapters in and this is looking to be a lighthearted, amusing romcom. Maybe harem, but maybe not the BAD kind of harem(if there is such a thing)?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

From a few pages back, but out of all of these Sekitou Elergy is definitely that sounded like my sort of thing. It's pretty good so far. Are there any other good romance series where the main girl is sort of a tomboy/delinquent or are those rare for romance?

Boys on the Run is good for that as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speak of the devil, the first chapter of the final Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun volume is out. Only three left after this one it seems.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kakukaku Shikajika chapter 5! Test Dowsing is my new favorite thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm up to chapter 27 of Taiyou no Ie. "Trade Secret :smug:" Just lovely. All kinds of warm fuzzies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Boys on the Run is good for that as well.

This is really loving good and I caught up to it in two days, but unfortunately the last 9 chapters still haven't been translated and now I am mad at you because it leaves off at the most heartbreaking part... and I am huge loving wuss for being so into it.