Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

uh zip zoom posted:

Should I be getting these kingdom titles out to my family members? I legitimately do wish to know.

It's usually a pretty good idea, unless you don't mind micromanaging a bunch of dukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

uh zip zoom posted:

Edit: content, right, content. Should I be getting these kingdom titles out to my family members? I legitimately do wish to know.

You don't create kingdom titles as the Byzantine Emperor if you want to play an easier game. Duchy revocations are free for the Emperor (in contrast to all other Christian or pagan monarchs), so you can always revoke the duchy of a troubling vassal and give one of his counts the title. The new duke now has to contend with the former office holder, while you got rid of the problem.

Of course at a certain size this can become too much work. I had a game where I had over 100 dukes as vassals. In these cases it is better to hand out the kingdoms, but since they are much more powerful than the dukes they will be more difficult to manage. As long as you only hold as much territory as the de jure Byzantine Empire I would not create kingdoms.

But when you do create kingdoms, it is a matter of preference. If all kingdoms are held by your kinsmen they will all be allied with each other (for being of the same dynasty). I believe that increases the risk of them joining wars against you. I prefer to pass out kingdoms to different families, but others like to give them to your dynasty. But if you do give the kingdoms to kinsmen, make sure they are distant relatives without claims on the empire, or your heir will face a difficult succession.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I believe that increases the risk of them joining wars against you.

I'm about 90% sure that you can't call in allies against their own liege.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

fool_of_sound posted:

I think the best part about this game is that nobody is ever 100% sure of how to play.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fool_of_sound posted:

I am 100% certain that you could before they introduced the faction system. Now I don't know how these two mechanics interact with each other. But perhaps I should try it out in-game.

Edit: Confirmed, you cannot call in allies against their own league.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 4, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
You can't call in allies against your own liege, but you can call in other vassals of your liege if you're at war with him (regardless of whether they're your allies or not).

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Boing posted:

I'm sure someone at some point in history decided that they wanted their kingdom to go to a younger, more competent heir and at least considered the possibility of stabbing within the family

Real life succession was generally a lot fuzzier, and involved designated heirs, disinheriting people, etc. (And then those decisions being disregarded on death as the realm disintegrated into a bloody fratricidal brawl, but...)

CK2 (mostly) doesn't feature those options, because it'd make the game too easy.

Whether stabbing your less-preferred children also makes the game too easy is a choice you must make for yourself!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

uh zip zoom posted:

I really wish I could respond with just an emoticon. :rolleyes: is just too appropriate.

Great empires are not ruled by timidity.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009
For favoring a younger son, there's also the non-murdery option of elective monarchy. Probably want to make sure a good portion of electors are of your dynasty first.

I did this but then my younger, genius son got murdered anyway :(.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Real life succession was generally a lot fuzzier, and involved designated heirs, disinheriting people, etc. (And then those decisions being disregarded on death as the realm disintegrated into a bloody fratricidal brawl, but...)

CK2 (mostly) doesn't feature those options, because it'd make the game too easy.

Whether stabbing your less-preferred children also makes the game too easy is a choice you must make for yourself!

IIRC, Europe actually had a fairly stable succession system, in that people tended to respect the decision made before the ruler's death. There were exceptions, depending on specific situations, but peaceful transitions were the norm.

The Muslim world, on the other hand, was basically what you're describing. I think I read somewhere that they legitimately didn't get why succession in Europe wasn't a stabby clusterfuck.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dickensian Aspect posted:

For favoring a younger son, there's also the non-murdery option of elective monarchy. Probably want to make sure a good portion of electors are of your dynasty first.

I did this but then my younger, genius son got murdered anyway :(.

Tanistry!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DStecks posted:

IIRC, Europe actually had a fairly stable succession system, in that people tended to respect the decision made before the ruler's death. There were exceptions, depending on specific situations, but peaceful transitions were the norm.

On that note, is there any mod out there that lowers the chance of a sibling revolting for your titles? 99% of the time it's just tedious busywork having to smash them down every time you switch to a new heir. If they were ambitious I'd totally expect it, but I've had siblings who had 50 opinion of me still try and take my stuff for no reason.

Or I suppose the correct question to ask instead is, does anyone know if that's something that's moddable in the first place?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 4, 2013

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
My vassals are saying I hold too many duchies. Who are they to say this? I built this Kingdom of Ireland with my own hands and absorbed the remaining independent fools on this island who were slowly being war-annexed by Scotland, so you can shove it you whiners.

But seriously, how do I change this invisible limit?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
My aunt has a weak claim on the Kingdom of West Francia, I just assassinated the king so I could declare war for said claim in the regency but the option isn't there. Why?

Edit: If it helps to know, I'm the Fylkir and king of Denmark.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 4, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

My aunt has a weak claim on the Kingdom of West Francia, I just assassinated the king so I could declare war for said claim in the regency but the option isn't there. Why?

I think there are restrictions about pressing claims for women, but maybe I'm getting it mixed up with weak claims...

There is a regency, right? The new king is, in fact, a child? Because regencies only happen when the ruler is either underage or incapable due to infirmity.

Also, is your aunt in your court? I think you can only press claims for vassals and courtiers.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Flesnolk posted:

If West Francia is still under Agnatic succession law (which it probably is - it starts that way and if it's still West Francia that means the Karlings are still in charge) then you won't be able to press a woman's claim unless you're playing a Queen and it's your own claim.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dallan Invictus posted:

unless you're playing a Queen and it's your own claim.
Huh, I had no idea there was an exception to that rule. Does it automatically change the target title to Agnatic-Cognatic if you win?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sindai posted:

Huh, I had no idea there was an exception to that rule. Does it automatically change the target title to Agnatic-Cognatic if you win?

No, altough now I'm tempted to mod that in and see what happens. God knows there should probably be more ways for AI realms to actually change their gender/succession laws.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Roumba posted:

My vassals are saying I hold too many duchies. Who are they to say this? I built this Kingdom of Ireland with my own hands and absorbed the remaining independent fools on this island who were slowly being war-annexed by Scotland, so you can shove it you whiners.

1. Ignore the limit
2. Behead anyone who does anything about it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Roumba posted:

Alternatively, the limit is in common/defines.lua as MAX_DUCHUIES_HELD or something like that - I'm at work or I'd get the exact reference, but I know DUCHIES is in there somewhere.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

DStecks posted:

There is a regency, right? The new king is, in fact, a child? Because regencies only happen when the ruler is either underage or incapable due to infirmity.

Also, is your aunt in your court? I think you can only press claims for vassals and courtiers.

Yes, he is, and yes, she is. I'll check if the Agnatic thing is in effect too.

Edit: Yeah, it's agnatic. Is there any chance the AI ever changes succession laws on its own?

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 4, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Having a depressed ruler really is awesome. I was the Earl of Mann, and managed to marry the heir to the Duchy of Soreyar and murder her entire family, so my son stood to inherit both Soreyar and the County of Mann. I murdered my wife and committed suicide on my son's 16th birthday :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Boing posted:

Having a depressed ruler really is awesome. I was the Earl of Mann, and managed to marry the heir to the Duchy of Soreyar and murder her entire family, so my son stood to inherit both Soreyar and the County of Mann. I murdered my wife and committed suicide on my son's 16th birthday :allears:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: I murdered my wife and committed suicide on my son's 16th birthday

ck2.txt?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Are we sure Syphilis is in this game and not a CK2+ add-on? I don't think I've ever seen anyone in any of my games actually have the disease.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Are we sure Syphilis is in this game and not a CK2+ add-on? I don't think I've ever seen anyone in any of my games actually have the disease.

I don't think CK2+ actually adds new diseases.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

It's definitely in vanilla. I learned this when I married a princess with good stats and powerful alliance who I only noticed had it after we tied the knot. But whatever, I'm gay so it's not like I'm in any danger from getting it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

uh zip zoom posted:

Okay, then. Exactly which playstyle would you approve of for my first Byzantium game? :allears:

uh zip zoom posted:

Edit: content, right, content. Should I be getting these kingdom titles out to my family members? I legitimately do wish to know.

Real edit: quote != edit. My bad.

As byzantium, do not create Kingdom titles. You get free ducal revocations which is an insanely powerful tool. Duke being an rear end in a top hat? Revoke his poo poo and give it to his vassal. Duke getting to big for his britches? Revoke his ducal title and give it to his vassal. Duke has ugly borders? Revoke his poo poo and give it to a vassal. Bonus if they revolt because you can then revoke a county to weaken their power base and then revoke their ducal title on top of that. Win win.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's definitely in vanilla. I learned this when I married a princess with good stats and powerful alliance who I only noticed had it after we tied the knot. But whatever, I'm gay so it's not like I'm in any danger from getting it.
Homosexuality only decreases fertility, it doesn't set it to -1000 like celibate does.

If the event(s) that spread syphilis follow that same logic you might still be in trouble.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 5, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Knuc If U Buck posted:

As byzantium, do not create Kingdom titles. You get free ducal revocations which is an insanely powerful tool. Duke being an rear end in a top hat? Revoke his poo poo and give it to his vassal. Duke getting to big for his britches? Revoke his ducal title and give it to his vassal. Duke has ugly borders? Revoke his poo poo and give it to a vassal. Bonus if they revolt because you can then revoke a county to weaken their power base and then revoke their ducal title on top of that. Win win.
Ignore this, create all Kingdom titles and give them away to the dukes who have the funniest names or whatever. It's the true way to play :black101:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kainser posted:

Ignore this, create all Kingdom titles and give them away to the dukes who have the funniest names or whatever. It's the true way to play :black101:

This man is correct. In one of my runs, "Macbeth" was banished from Scotland. I invited him over and pressed his claim on a duchy there and gave him all of Scotland when I conquered it. Macbeth was one of my best noblemen, too! Married him to my best daughter for conquering half of England for me.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 5, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The nice thing about creating kingdom titles is that once you get big, your vassal kings can start fighting their own mini-wars for you. Keep the kingdom on High Crown Authority so that vassals can't war with each other but can war with outsiders, and you'll soon see your vassal kings start conquering stuff on their own. If you can keep the kingdom titles within your dynasty, they'll call in all your family members as allies in their wars as well. You'll have to do some management to make sure that no king gets big enough to challenge you, and you'll have to watch for factions among your vassal kings, though.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Sindai posted:

Homosexuality only decreases fertility, it doesn't set it to -1000 like chaste celibate does.

I've always thought it weird that homosexuality is only a small fertility malus. It should at least be in the region of -80% or so. As it is now, being lustful practically balances out being gay (and I'm pretty sure that doesn't make sense)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think the rationale for a mere 20% fertility penalty (which I've always found fairly persuasive) is that being a gay noble in 1300 meant "much prefers their gender but will still 'do their dynastic duty'" much more than it does today.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
That's pretty much it. You close your eyes and deal with it because if you don't have kids your bloodline dies off and gay or straight your legacy is super important. You can always keep someone on the side you actually want to have sex with. I still feel guilty about murdering my awesome gay wife who's only crime was not having enough babies.

Cantorsdust posted:

You'll have to do some management to make sure that no king gets big enough to challenge you, and you'll have to watch for factions among your vassal kings, though.

France screwed me like this. Conquered the hell out of Burgundy and Brittany but got too big because of it. I can certainly see why in one of the LPs (which used CK2+ I think) the guy never bothered being an emperor and just handed off independent kingdoms to relatives like candy. All the benefits of being automatic family allies and none of the drawbacks of claimants and people bitching over succession.

The DLC for this really needs to go on sale soon so I can pick it up again.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think the rationale for a mere 20% fertility penalty (which I've always found fairly persuasive) is that being a gay noble in 1300 meant "much prefers their gender but will still 'do their dynastic duty'" much more than it does today.

The rationale is, explicitly from the devs' mouths, 'we didn't want players to systemically murder gay people.'

So, they made homosexuality a noticeable fertility penalty, but not crippling.

Of course, there are plenty of ways to justify this from an in-universe perspective, but if you want the actual reason that number is what it is...

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Boing posted:

I've always thought it weird that homosexuality is only a small fertility malus. It should at least be in the region of -80% or so. As it is now, being lustful practically balances out being gay (and I'm pretty sure that doesn't make sense)

Homosexuality as an orientation is a pretty modern idea, in ancient times it was just considered a thing that people do. Some people would be known as exclusively homosexual, but it wasn't a category of person like it is today.

Also, this is in the context of arranged marriages. Everyone was just doing it to produce heirs, so you just close your eyes and think of England.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I think the homosexuality trait is fine in game. If I was goign to change it Id make it so that initially it does not penalize fertility very much but the more children you have the greater the penalty becomes since they have less and less pressure to do the deed.

Also this is a game where castrated people can still produce children.

Edit: Actually a funny thing happened in my game recently. My son just returned from the Varagian Guard and got the "greek love" event so now he is gay but his lover from before I shipped him off is still his wife.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 5, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Torrannor posted:

You don't create kingdom titles as the Byzantine Emperor if you want to play an easier game. Duchy revocations are free for the Emperor (in contrast to all other Christian or pagan monarchs), so you can always revoke the duchy of a troubling vassal and give one of his counts the title. The new duke now has to contend with the former office holder, while you got rid of the problem.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

This is true while you're still within the more or less de jure bounds of the empire, but if you want to actually restore the Roman Empire, you're going to want to have Kings around just to mop up the 1-5 new rebellions which pop up every other month. Dukes aren't powerful enough to do it unless they control several duchies.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also having kings makes mustering your empire's troops not take forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

SpRahl posted:

this is a game where castrated people can still produce children.

I've never seen this happen, I guess I should switch to stabbing instead of castrating prisoners.

When I play as Byzantium, I find it easier to conquer by claiming or usurping duchies rather than kingdoms. It's much easier to create the title as it gets annoying to have to change succession laws for every kingdom you usurp when they are all in Gravelkind.

Also is there a way to send people to the Varagian Guard or is it a random event?

• Locked thread