Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

This is so freaking underwhelming I can barely describe it. European history and depth is barely represented and THIS is what you come up with?

Haha no, that was just a pick from the Paradox forum thread, this is awesome!

Will make the whole America part of the game actually worth playing, from both sides. Color me excited.

e: Especially this part:
Any Chance we could get a randomized "old world" down the road with the tech you're introducing in "conquest of paradise"? or would that be reinventing the wheel in terms of coding?

I think it be really enjoyable to mix up the old world as well as the new.

/Johan answers:
I'm pretty certain it takes a modder just a few hours to set it up though.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

e: Especially this part:
Any Chance we could get a randomized "old world" down the road with the tech you're introducing in "conquest of paradise"? or would that be reinventing the wheel in terms of coding?

Wouldn't the trade route system put the kibosh on that?

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

I'm just waiting for all the American Nationalists/Patriots to bust a gasket when they find out that the North American continent has been replaced with the West Atlantic Ocean.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

A_Spec posted:

I'm just waiting for all the American Nationalists/Patriots to bust a gasket when they find out that the North American continent has been replaced with the West Atlantic Ocean.

Pretty sure you're thinking of the DLC that replaces the Baltic with the Eastern Adriatic.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pimpmust posted:

/Johan answers:
I'm pretty certain it takes a modder just a few hours to set it up though.
That really interesting. I guess the tags the randomizer uses and the area of the map it randomizes must be moddable, so you'd just need to add all the existing tags and change it to cover the whole world.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of the DLC that replaces the Baltic with the Eastern Adriatic.

As a joke DLC title before the real ones get announced Paradox should have Balkans randomizer just to see how many death threats you guys get.

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Trujillo posted:

As a joke DLC title before the real ones get announced Paradox should have Balkans randomizer just to see how many death threats you guys get.

I'll have a meeting with Buchov and Johan in the morning, lets see what we can do.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Kaiserreich is the best videogame.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I get the feeling that event is a little broken because it will refire every other day until one or the other gives in/declares war.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

I get the feeling that event is a little broken because it will refire every other day until one or the other gives in/declares war.

I'm pretty sure that's WAD, though there shouldn't be an option to wait in that case.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yup, the best videogame.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Speaking of Kaiserreich, has anyone else had a problem with DH 1.3 where it crashes every time you click on the technology tab? I'd really like to fix this so I can play some wacky alternate history.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh drat that was one of the best EU3 mods, I'm so hyped for this DLC.

Also, Kaiserreich is the best videogame. In what other game can you get Baron Roman van Ungern-Sternberg to declare himself the reincarnation of Genghis Khan, proclaim himself TKZ Genghis Khan II, and do this?

:smug:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Also, Kaiserreich is the best videogame. In what other game can you get Baron Roman van Ungern-Sternberg to declare himself the reincarnation of Genghis Khan, proclaim himself TKZ Genghis Khan II, and do this?

Also on a serious note, how does the randomized new world work for Conquest of Paradise, I'm confused.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mister Adequate posted:

This better have been done with only pre-mechanized cavalry.:colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Raskolnikov38 posted:

This better have been done with only pre-mechanized cavalry.:colbert:

They're upgrading to mechanized now, but aside from using the starting infantry to hold a couple of fronts in the first two or three wars (No advances with infantry, that is) against Xibei San Ma and Siberia, I've only used cavalry. Wait, I think I did use an infantry "Support attack" against one of the Shangqing Tianguo mountain fortresses too, actually.

Even all the coastal garrisons are cavalry; saves on needing occupations force because I can respond to any uprising within a few days and get back to the beaches within a few more.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mister Adequate posted:

They're upgrading to mechanized now, but aside from using the starting infantry to hold a couple of fronts in the first two or three wars (No advances with infantry, that is) against Xibei San Ma and Siberia, I've only used cavalry. Wait, I think I did use an infantry "Support attack" against one of the Shangqing Tianguo mountain fortresses too, actually.

Even all the coastal garrisons are cavalry; saves on needing occupations force because I can respond to any uprising within a few days and get back to the beaches within a few more.

Funnily enough that's exactly what I did. I guess it just feels right to focus on cavalry while playing Mongols.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mister Adequate posted:

My favorite Mongolian tidbit in KR is that if another country takes Mongolian provinces, you get an event lowering 1 IC in certain provinces, with the event saying something along the lines of "Only a deplorable madmen could ever make people work under these conditions.."

You can do that as any country. Yes, including KR-styled Nazis.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Great now I need to learn how to play DH.

Thanks, thread.

ThatOtherGuy
Jul 15, 2006

"Size matters not. Look at my quarterback. Judge him by his size, do you? Hmm?"
I'm ashamed that I'm too spoiled by the modern game engine to play the older looking games anymore :(

Also, in CK2 I just had 3 kings in 2 years because of intrigue. King dies a natural death, 10 year old grandson who I had been personally grooming to become a good ruler inherits the throne with his oldest uncle as the heir. A year later the grandson is murdered in a hunting "accident" and oldest uncle becomes king, with the youngest uncle as the heir. Less than a year later the king(oldest uncle) gets blown to bits, and the youngest uncle ascends to the throne.

:allears: Crusader Kings II :allears:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mister Adequate posted:

You haven't conquered Japan yet. And don't go complaining about "typhoons" or bullshit like that. :colbert:

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

catlord posted:

You haven't conquered Japan yet. And don't go complaining about "typhoons" or bullshit like that. :colbert:

How's Kamikaze taste after all these years Mongols? :smug:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The only annoying thing about DH is having to drop my screen color to 16 bit to play in windowed mode.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

catlord posted:

Hey, give me a break, I kicked them off of the mainland so hard they gave me half their Pacific islands! And I've been a little too busy to focus on naval and air techs for that. But my submarines are currently roaming the seas and tearing the IJN to pieces so it should be doable soon enough.

One thing I wish DH had was a more dynamic tech team system. I know some mods fudge things with events or the like, but I'd really like to be able to invest ~$5000 and six months later a random tech team gains a level, and to have an intermediary between absorbing no TTs and all of them, say a low % per annexed nation's TT of it being available.

I also want to be able to build reactors in every province. I mean you can get nuke spam easily now by just reducing the bomb production modifier in the config file, granted, and getting a nuke every four days is :getin: without question, but I'd like a much slower and more gradual buildup to that point.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ThatOtherGuy posted:

I'm ashamed that I'm too spoiled by the modern game engine to play the older looking games anymore :(

Same here :(:respek::(. The crazy alt-history stuff people do looks awesome but I am just so overwhelmed by HoI2's technology alone, much less building, deploying, and using armies, airforce, and navies that I just can't even figure out why it is I lost. Plus I can't get DH to run on my computer anymore so it kinda makes it even harder to learn :v:. Wish we could see mods that great for V2, EUIV, and CK2. The team behind the Kaiserreich mod are geniuses.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Well, part of it is just sheer amount of time being worked on. Kaiserreich started as a WW2 alternative history mod called "All the Russias" over 6 years ago. Germany still lost WW1, Hitler still exists, but the Whites won the Russian civil war and Poland is a superpower that can easily thwack Germany in 1939.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Oh that explains it, I played all the Russias after playing KR first and thought it was the dumbest thing ever.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Denmark!

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
I see your Denmark and I raise you Perm. But that happens every day in every single game until a Horde takes over.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

I see your Denmark and I raise you Perm. But that happens every day in every single game until a Horde takes over.

Looks like Russia's having a bad hair day :cool:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lum_ posted:

Well, part of it is just sheer amount of time being worked on. Kaiserreich started as a WW2 alternative history mod called "All the Russias" over 6 years ago. Germany still lost WW1, Hitler still exists, but the Whites won the Russian civil war and Poland is a superpower that can easily thwack Germany in 1939.

Try at least 8 years ago- I'm pretty sure All the Russias is almost as old as Hearts of Iron II itself. It definitely shows- Russia's the best developed country next to Brazil (Which appears to have been the work of one expert on local history going hogwild).

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
All the Russia's was a separate project by Sarmatia but some of it was used as foundations of Kaiserreich. I think someone was going to take up the mantle and give it so more polish at some point but I don't think they ever did. If you beat Germany as Poland there were a bunch of events that would allow you to form a central/eastern europe power bloc and choose which countries you wanted to invite. I just remember that being the best thing that it recognized that I beat Germany and I was the top power in the area and tried to put as many of those types of events as I could into KR.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kavak posted:

Try at least 8 years ago- I'm pretty sure All the Russias is almost as old as Hearts of Iron II itself. It definitely shows- Russia's the best developed country next to Brazil (Which appears to have been the work of one expert on local history going hogwild).

You tell me, the Brazil Syndicalist events are like the wet dreams of the Brazilian left coming true one at a time.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ZearothK posted:

You tell me, the Brazil Syndicalist events are like the wet dreams of the Brazilian left coming true one at a time.

I want to track him/her down and turn them loose on the United States with me, so you'd be able to choose from a fascist North American Union stretching from the Arctic Circle to the Panama Canal, a syndicalist industrial titan that would make LF need a change of pants, a Keynesian Leave-It-To-Beaver island of stability in a world gone mad, or just going maximum Crimson Skies and crashing the thing straight into the ground.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Re: Conquest of Paradise: Crossposting from the EU4 thread since (iirc) the goon devs follow this thread but not the game-specific ones:

PittTheElder posted:

Looks pretty sweet for an early version.

Also, Paradox, go look up the PerfectWorld map scripts for Civilization. That's a public example of reasonably good continent generation through fake tectonics.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, I was going to recommend this as well. Civ's map scripts are in python so it could prove useful to look into some of the better ones out there, PerfectWorld is a pretty great script: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=310891

Or the Civ V version: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171848014&searchtext=

The script does all sorts of crazy stuff like generating heightmaps based on simulated tectonics then using those heightmaps to generate weather patterns and river drainage routes for determining terrain types. The coastlines and continent shapes it generates are really fantastic.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

NihilCredo posted:

Re: Conquest of Paradise: Crossposting from the EU4 thread since (iirc) the goon devs follow this thread but not the game-specific ones:

I'll relay it to the relevant dev, could be helpful as inspiration. Thanks!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ZkO8CclhI

I know this has been posted before but seeing the first comment from Paradox made me smile.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I decided to get back into HoI3 and bought TFH. Something weird I've noticed is that my trade agreements get cancelled within days, sometimes hours after accepting them, for no reason that I can determine. I don't remember this being an issue in FTM. Am I doing something wrong or is it just paradox being paradox?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DarthJeebus posted:

I decided to get back into HoI3 and bought TFH. Something weird I've noticed is that my trade agreements get cancelled within days, sometimes hours after accepting them, for no reason that I can determine. I don't remember this being an issue in FTM. Am I doing something wrong or is it just paradox being paradox?

Automate trade and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DarthJeebus posted:

The AI is pretty micro-managy of its trade in TFH, you should probably just automate it.

• Locked thread