Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I lost my job last week so I've been reading through all of the old bachelor threads for ideas, I guess that's pretty bachelor. Most of the posts are horrifying though.

I've taken to drinking cider before I switch to beer during the day because it's like juice and hey, if it's the morning at least I'm drinking juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shrapnac posted:

I lost my job last week so I've been reading through all of the old bachelor threads for ideas, I guess that's pretty bachelor. Most of the posts are horrifying though.

I've taken to drinking cider before I switch to beer during the day because it's like juice and hey, if it's the morning at least I'm drinking juice.

Cider tastes so much loving better than beer, too. QTIYD

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

Cider tastes so much loving better than beer, too. QTIYD
Don't agree

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Why compromise? Drink Snakebites, feel better.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
What sort of beer is typically used in a Snakebite? I've only heard of the Black and Apple before, which is Guinness floating on Cider (and cinnamon sugar on the rim if you're fancy and gross)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bowmore posted:

Don't agree

Me either, it's a morning thing for me.

Just looked at my bank statement, the only purchases on my account since I lost my job are three separate trips to the liquor store. At some point I'm going to have to buy food.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shrapnac posted:

Me either, it's a morning thing for me.

Just looked at my bank statement, the only purchases on my account since I lost my job are three separate trips to the liquor store. At some point I'm going to have to buy food.

Protip: Unless you live in a weird state, they also sell liquor at the food place.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

canyoneer posted:

Protip: Unless you live in a weird state, they also sell liquor at the food place.

In Texas they just sell food at some of the Liquor places.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GWBBQ posted:

If it was good and didn't have much sugar, please share the recipe.

Yeah, I could go for some ribs right now.

1 cup cider vinegar, teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, tablespoon brown sugar, and salt to taste (none worked fine for me).

I made 3 cups and cooked a 4lb pork loin in it using a slow cooker. Let it go all night, tore it apart in the morning, then let it go a few hours more. Turned out excellent and took maybe 10 minutes total to make. I'm in a crappy apartment with no real space for real bbq equipment and I work too much.

I'll be honest, I ripped it off that all recipes site. Stuff with good reviews on there usually works out nicely.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

canyoneer posted:

I live in New Jersey, I guess I'll have to subsist on Slim Jims and potato chips. I guess I could grab a few lemons and limes to stave off the scurvy.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Kalos posted:

What sort of beer is typically used in a Snakebite? I've only heard of the Black and Apple before, which is Guinness floating on Cider (and cinnamon sugar on the rim if you're fancy and gross)

Here in Glasgow, it's Tennents and Strongbow, sometimes with a dash of blackcurrant to colour it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
With blackcurrent it's a snakebite, without it's a generator. Idk why it just is.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Kalos posted:

I use light lager and apple cider in 1:1 ratio, preferably Narragansett and the cheapest cider available.

I also posted about Brass Monkeys so don't quote me on proper drink technique.

For those who have it available, Narragansett is a fantastic brew. You can't go wrong with a 6 pack of tallboys for 6 bucks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
gently caress beer.

Get cider. Take a good long swig off the bottle. Refill with whiskey.

Johnny Jump-Ups for all.

Use a bourbon or something Irish, though. The charcoal bullshit from JD ruins cider flavor.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Kalos posted:

As far as I'm concerned there's no "typical" beer used in it. Snakebites are cheap and nasty.

Here we usually make them from Strongbow/Frosty Jacks with whatever lovely lager you happen to have lying around, usually Carling, and a dash of blackcurrant.

Snakebite hangovers are some of the worst I've ever had for whatever reason. Though puking pink makes it interesting I guess.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Is it normal for a black & tan (Guinness and Kilkenny in this case) to taste moldy? Because I think mine from last night tasted moldy but the barkeep insisted it's normal but maybe that's because I had a brain fart and forgot the word for mold and tried to improvise it by way of blue stilton cheese but I'm not sure he got what I meant.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

DemeaninDemon posted:

1 cup cider vinegar, teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, tablespoon brown sugar, and salt to taste (none worked fine for me).

wtf does this mean? What is 1/2 teaspoon?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

One half of a teaspoon probably. Gonna cook some ribs this weekend!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Basscop posted:

½. Also referred to as half a teaspoon or 0.5 teaspoons.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Basscop posted:

2.5 cm3 (mL) or 1/12 ounce.

Then again, this is the everything goes with sriracha bachelor thread, so focus more on tasty and (ideally) not leaving permanent scars or traumas than accurate proportions.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

There is no way that you ate two liters of grits.

I had to take a 30 minute break halfway through, but I got it done.

I like how nobody else living here thinks anything of there being a tripod and clamp lights set up in the bathroom.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Southern Tier's 2XMAS beer is out. It's not as good as last year's, for some reason, but it still tastes like goddamn christmas. Y'all should try it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Basscop posted:

US measurements for things are pretty stupid.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My favorite is when baking recipes use teaspoons and cups instead of anything having to do with weight, so the outcome is a total loving crapshoot.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Do people in the rest of the world just have scales lying around their kitchen or something? Im lucky to find a fork when I need one.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

LorrdErnie posted:

Do people in the rest of the world just have scales lying around their kitchen or something? Im lucky to find a fork when I need one.

Yes? Food scales are pretty sweet go get one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Baking ingredients are listed volumetrically because for many of them the weight is variable but the volume isn't. Like bananas, or flour, or eggs.

DemeaninDemon posted:

US measurements for things are pretty stupid.

Hey, we already got one system of measurement forced on us by Europe, you can gently caress yourself if you think we're just going to drop everything and jump for joy when you try to push us another so quickly. Especially not one developed by the same people who gave us the month of Thermidor and chain letters encouraging everyone to murder the populations of their local prisons. At least ours isn't based on a single glass-enclosed constantly-changing object that alters the entire rest of the system as it changes. :chord:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

LorrdErnie posted:

The type of person who decides to bake something will presumably have scales and baking tins. I do not have those things but it doesn't affect me as I seldom have the urge to bake.

In fact, my biggest purchase for the kitchen in the last 6 months has been a large block of Parmesan cheese. Unfortunately I don't have a cheese grater so I have to scrape it onto my un-adorned pasta with a butter knife.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Splizwarf posted:

At least ours isn't based on a single glass-enclosed constantly-changing object that alters the entire rest of the system as it changes. :chord:

Actually pounds are defined in terms of the kilogram, so... yes, yes it is.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Splizwarf posted:

Baking ingredients are listed volumetrically because for many of them the weight is variable but the volume isn't. Like bananas, or flour, or eggs.

Hey, we already got one system of measurement forced on us by Europe, you can gently caress yourself if you think we're just going to drop everything and jump for joy when you try to push us another so quickly. Especially not one developed by the same people who gave us the month of Thermidor and chain letters encouraging everyone to murder the populations of their local prisons. At least ours isn't based on a single glass-enclosed constantly-changing object that alters the entire rest of the system as it changes. :chord:

Everything but weather temperature is better using metric. Degrees F has a longer scale so 32 and 70 flows better than 0 and 20.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

DemeaninDemon posted:

Everything but weather temperature is better using metric. Degrees F has a longer scale so 32 and 70 flows better than 0 and 20.

What? Why are those two numbers better than a different two? Also, what is the significance of 70 or 20? Temperatures that are comfortable?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

DemeaninDemon posted:

You can't see how having the freezing and boiling points of water as '0' and '100' might be convenient?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

RideTheSpiral posted:

The type of person who decides to bake something will presumably have scales and baking tins. I do not have those things but it doesn't affect me as I seldom have the urge to bake.

In fact, my biggest purchase for the kitchen in the last 6 months has been a large block of Parmesan cheese. Unfortunately I don't have a cheese grater so I have to scrape it onto my un-adorned pasta with a butter knife.

Oh I bake all the time. I just have always used measuring cups and the only people I knew with food scales were people who did weight-lifting stuff so it's a bit bizarre to me to think about people weighing out ingredients for a batch of cookies or whatever.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

RideTheSpiral posted:

You can't see how having the freezing and boiling points of water as '0' and '100' might be convenient?

I don't need to know the freezing or boiling point of water for weather temperature. For scientific purposes (baking. Always baking) it's really useful, but other than that F is just fine.

Also gently caress baking. Nothing I bake ever comes out well, so I just cook something for my sister and trade :v:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Try baking bread and using cups.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

My favorite is when baking recipes use teaspoons and cups instead of anything having to do with weight, so the outcome is a total loving crapshoot.

You know you don't actually use some random cup right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_%28unit%29

-edit: well I am an idiot I didn't even consider you meant weight variations even though it was right there in the post.

Mr Teatime has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Nov 5, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jeoh posted:

Try baking bread and using cups.

Don't do this, even to prove a point. It will end in tears. Or possibly glutinous bricks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Splizwarf posted:

Uhhh, you got that backwards. At least for flour. Weight is the preferred method for any serious bakers, because it's NOT variable.

A pound/kilo is flour is ALWAYS a pound/kilo of flour (very small exceptions perhaps in a very humid vs very dry climate, but I can't imagine that has much effect on the actual weight of the flour.)

But volume can be all over the place. Take a small container of flour that hasn't been used in a while and carefully scoop out a cup. Then, take that container, and shake the ever living gently caress out of it, and scoop out another cup.

Both will be one cup in volume, but the first one will weigh more. Probably not by much for only a cup, but if you're making a large amount of something, this can start to have an effect, especially on certain pastries or other items that are known for having a certain texture. 10-20% more flour can seriously affect them.

And re: temperature, what DemeaninDemon is talking about is precision. With a longer scale between freezing and boiling, an individual "unit" of Fahrenheit is more precise than a unit of Celsius. The amount of actual measurable energy between 0 and 1 degree Celsius is more than between 32 and 33 degrees Farenheit.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Nov 5, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Bingo - baking is science, science requires accuracy (and don't let anyone tell you baking is an art, it's not. It's science :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

thespaceinvader posted:

Bingo - baking is science, science requires accuracy (and don't let anyone tell you baking is an art, it's not. It's science :science:

baking requires accuracy but all other aspects of cooking doesn't.

• Locked thread