Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

This makes the design of rogues, bards and other classes that traditionally focus a lot on skills tricky, but if you wanted to make skills optional I think this is the way to go.

It really doesn't though. Under a system like that, the <class> does all their <class> poo poo faster than anyone else could do it and does it "normally" in situations where other classes couldn't even make the attempt, such as during combat, in adverse conditions, or when it's really really hard.

That doesn't make designing a rogue tricky, it makes it easier - rogue climbs walls, picks locks, sneaks, etc at a smaller cost, faster action, normal move speed or whatever. Rogue can do these things even when other characters could not, such as disarming a trap and still having time to stab a dude this round, or climbing a cliff while dodging arrows and returning fire, or climbing an icy smooth wall at the speed other characters climb a wall with nice handholds, or remaining undetected while still moving at full speed.

For other classes it's just as simple. A strong character will be able to bend bars out of the way, the Fighter can do it with one hand while fighting off orcs with the other. Anyone observant can track game, the ranger can do it while jogging. People can research/remember things, a wizard just knows - it doesn't matter if he's also holding a magic shield up with one side of his brain while spewing fire with the other, he remembers that this rune was first written by Xryxxz The Bleak and is the sigil of the Black Cult Of Doom and also it's carved in 4 dimensions, which is pretty interesting, huh guys?

Skill-heavy classes just get more stuff they can do really well.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Looks like we have a little Warlock info now.

Legends & Lore:
Warlock Design
November 4

Sounds like we might get to choose both a Patron and a Subclass. Not sure if the wording is such that it will actually have at will spells, or just more frequent than normal or something.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

If they do it right, and yes I know what thread I'm posting in, the Warlock sounds like it could be cool. I'd like if the class had by default all three abilities and could choose a focus - your average Warlock has a pact blade, a summoned minion, and the cool spells, but your choice of book/blade/chain lets you focus on one above the other. Let the book Warlock have an imp feeding them advice, the blade Warlock a ghost inhabiting their shield, and the chain Warlock a fire demon or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, that article makes warlocks sound cool as all hell. It gives me some hope, since Warlock was hands-down my favorite class concept in 4e. I mean, I've made a pact with something out there and it gives me cool poo poo and my weapon is a pact blade and I'm meddling with forces I don't really understand... yeah, the whole thing was just a way more interesting and flavorful idea than "I learn spells from a book".

e: gently caress me I'm slightly excited about Next again.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 4, 2013

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

It sounds like they're actually pulling from Elric for the Warlock, which is both kind of neat since it was a huge influence on D&D and also a bit worrying because the last time they did that we got alignment. I approve regardless because this is D&D and the classes should straight up be Gray Mouser/Conan/Elric/etc, just tell people you are a Level 5 Conan/Level 3 Gandalf.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
And of course someone on the WotC boards has already posted "I really think they should concentrate on the core classes. I don't want a lot of extra's in the PHB." Despite others being cautiously optimistic.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

And of course someone on the WotC boards has already posted "I really think they should concentrate on the core classes. I don't want a lot of extra's in the PHB." Despite others being cautiously optimistic.

I hope they only use D&D's core classes for Next. I've always felt that Fighting-Man, Magic-User, Cleric, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling sum up the total fantasy experience and I'm not happy with these modern additions to the game. I mean "Thief" isn't a hero, what the gently caress were they thinking?

Wait, what's that, Gary?

OD&D posted:

There is no reason that players cannot be allowed to play as virtually anything, provided they start relatively weak and work up to the top.

He must have meant that they should concentrate on the core classes, since I don't want a lot of extras in the PHB.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 4, 2013

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Supplement One is the original Book of Nine Swords. A guy who can do magic AND wear armor? You get to be an Elf AND a fighting man? The story game module should be a rehash of Greyhawk, and the tactical combat module should use Blackmoor's hit location tables for total realism.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The Warlock article sounds decent - but they've given us just enough to make you think it sounds decent, without ANY actual indication of mechanics, and there's a WHOLE mess of poo poo that could (will) go wrong with it...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, that article makes warlocks sound cool as all hell. It gives me some hope, since Warlock was hands-down my favorite class concept in 4e. I mean, I've made a pact with something out there and it gives me cool poo poo and my weapon is a pact blade and I'm meddling with forces I don't really understand... yeah, the whole thing was just a way more interesting and flavorful idea than "I learn spells from a book".

e: gently caress me I'm slightly excited about Next again.
Warlocks are Wizards with theme-based limitations. Of course they're rad as hell.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

cooking question: what is the appropriate volume/length of time to yell at someone who askes you to cook their steak Well Done, and is it okay to order a ten year old cousin to gently caress Off Out Of Your Kitchen?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You may yell at them for exactly the amount of time you spent cooking the steak beyond what you felt counted as done.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

I AM THE MOON posted:

cooking question: what is the appropriate volume/length of time to yell at someone who askes you to cook their steak Well Done, and is it okay to order a ten year old cousin to gently caress Off Out Of Your Kitchen?

Firstly, yell forever. Any time you see this person, shame them. As for the cousin, yes. Anybody not cooking in the kitchen GTFO because heat and knives are jealous companions and hate sharing time.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I AM THE MOON posted:

You cook it medium and ask if it's undercooked. If they say yes, throw it back on and weep. But they'll probably say no, and next time they might even be OK with medium rare. I firmly believe that no one actually prefers well-done - they just think they do.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Achmed Jones posted:

You cook it medium and ask if it's undercooked. If they say yes, throw it back on and weep. But they'll probably say no, and next time they might even be OK with medium rare. I firmly believe that no one actually prefers well-done - they just think they do.
What is the proper term for a steak when the juices run clear but it's still super juicey? Because that's what I like, but everybody else seems to think a steak is either a dry brick or a slab of red with a thin layer of brown over it with no middle ground.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

If you actually care how other people eat their food you're a jackass and an idiot, just let them eat the steak however they want. Every time this comes up it's the saddest, most pathetic display of food snobbery ever from a bunch of people trying to out-smug each other.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mikan posted:

If you actually care how other people eat their food you're a jackass and an idiot, just let them eat the steak however they want. Every time this comes up it's the saddest, most pathetic display of food snobbery ever from a bunch of people trying to out-smug each other.

Seems appropriate in TG I guess?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

S.J. posted:

Seems appropriate in TG I guess?

This should be the exact opposite of how you choose to live your life.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mikan posted:

This should be the exact opposite of how you choose to live your life.

Now I'm wondering if there's a food version of grog.txt.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Mikan posted:

It's almost as if what I posted was meant as a joke, exaggerating my personal distate for "well done steak" to humorous "Fox TV Gordon Ramsay" levels. Besides if we wanted a pathetic display of nerd anger and snobbery we'd just look at your post history.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

S.J. posted:

Now I'm wondering if there's a food version of grog.txt.

Ever been to Goons with Spoons?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only correct way to eat beef is as jerky, dipped in sriracha.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ever been to Goons with Spoons?

Not for quite a while, no.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only correct way to eat beef is as jerky, dipped in sriracha.

There's no need all the good threads there come to us. (R.I.P cickencheese thread)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elfgames posted:

There's no need all the good threads there come to us. (R.I.P cickencheese thread)
Please don't fix this post it's fantastic absurdist humour as-is.

e: and seriously what is that kind of steak called I never know what to ask for in restaurants.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Splicer posted:

Please don't fix this post it's fantastic absurdist humour as-is.

e: and seriously what is that kind of steak called I never know what to ask for in restaurants.

What kind of steak?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Splicer posted:

What is the proper term for a steak when the juices run clear but it's still super juicey? Because that's what I like, but everybody else seems to think a steak is either a dry brick or a slab of red with a thin layer of brown over it with no middle ground.

Pretty sure Splicer means this kind of steak. They seem to be looking for a good term for it to use at restaurants.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

I AM THE MOON posted:

It's almost as if what I posted was meant as a joke

You got kicked out of badwrongfun for being atrociously unfunny, so I don't think it was too absurd that someone thought you were serious. Maybe be better at joking?

Splicer posted:

Any properly prepared steak should be juicy; you might want to just ask for medium? I dunno, it changes based on the restaurant.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Flaky Biscuit posted:

You got kicked out of badwrongfun for being atrociously unfunny, so I don't think it was too absurd that someone thought you were serious. Maybe be better at joking?

Any properly prepared steak should be juicy; you might want to just ask for medium? I dunno, it changes based on the restaurant.

I'm sorry, but I believe in these Grey Forums that is Importing Drama and Illegal, I have alerted Moderator Winson Paine to this fact.

Also steak standards do vary, generally just order medium if that is what you want, yes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Splicer posted:

It depends on what you consider "super juicy". Ask for it medium. Press down on the thickest part with your knife for several seconds (so you can see the consistency of the juice) and then cut an inch into it to check the color. If it's not well done enough for your taste ask them to cook it a bit longer and they'll bring it back medium well.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Look at all you cocky turds with your being able to digest cow flesh.

Shittiest mutant power I tell you what.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Food question! So, my wife and I are wrapping up our vacation. We went to Asheville, NC. Today, we ate at the Sunny Point Cafe for breakfast, and while holy poo poo was it all incredible, the bacon in particular will haunt my dreams for years.

It was thick. Almost caramelized on the outside. Sweet, like a hint of brown sugar, but with a spicy kick on the tail end.

I want to make this bacon. Please help me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DalaranJ posted:

It depends on what you consider "super juicy". Ask for it medium. Press down on the thickest part with your knife for several seconds (so you can see the consistency of the juice) and then cut an inch into it to check the color. If it's not well done enough for your taste ask them to cook it a bit longer and they'll bring it back medium well.
Whenever I ask for anything but well done I get a chunk of cow dripping red stuff. When I ask for it well done I get a chunk cow dripping red stuff and a dirty look. Guess I'll stick to eating steaks at home :(

Speaking of which, I made some nice mustard fried steak pieces today. I don't know if that's a thing, but I had mustard and steak I had to use up and it turned out pretty good. Sometimes it's fun to just mash stuff together and see what happens.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Food question! So, my wife and I are wrapping up our vacation. We went to Asheville, NC. Today, we ate at the Sunny Point Cafe for breakfast, and while holy poo poo was it all incredible, the bacon in particular will haunt my dreams for years.

It was thick. Almost caramelized on the outside. Sweet, like a hint of brown sugar, but with a spicy kick on the tail end.

Something like this, maybe? http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cayenne-candied-bacon-recipe/index.html

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only correct way to eat beef is to eat lamb instead

mmmmmm

I'm hype about the D&D next warlock. I wish all magic classes were that focused, and "the chain" sounds all kinds of awesome. If there are non-infernal pacts, I wonder how that will be handled. "Yeah, I have this dryad minion."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hmmm, looks mighty excellent. I will try it and see...

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Hmmm, looks mighty excellent. I will try it and see...

I am not a bacon person, myself, but cayenne has the kind of heat you describe, and the caramelized sugar should serve the same role.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

You can make your own bacon, sliced as thick as you like, by buying pork belly and curing salt (available at any decent butcher, asian grocers, and maybe some supermarkets). If you want to avoid nitrates and don't mind your bacon being grey, just use regular salt, but it won't keep quite as well (and you should make it in the fridge). This is a pretty good overview of the process.

If you don't want to smoke it, you can do it in the oven. Add some liquid smoke to the rub if you want it to taste properly "bacon-y", and otherwise add whatever you feel like. Sugar, cayenne, peppercorns, any sort of spice, the world is your bacon-oyster.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Splicer posted:

Whenever I ask for anything but well done I get a chunk of cow dripping red stuff. When I ask for it well done I get a chunk cow dripping red stuff and a dirty look. Guess I'll stick to eating steaks at home :(

Speaking of which, I made some nice mustard fried steak pieces today. I don't know if that's a thing, but I had mustard and steak I had to use up and it turned out pretty good. Sometimes it's fun to just mash stuff together and see what happens.

Okay. I think I've got the idea now. Here's my advice.

For one, don't go back to a restaurant that acts like well done steak is badwrongsteak.

Secondly, you obviously like juiciness but not bloodiness. You probably want a marinated steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Splicer posted:

Beef and mustard is a fairly classic pairing. Something I often do - After pan-frying a steak, toss in chopped shallots and some dijon mustard, cook till they're caramelized, then deglaze with a splash of white wine and stir in heavy cream and freshly ground black pepper.

• Locked thread