Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

waffle posted:

I can't imagine too many people who would want a tablet with a keyboard dock that wouldn't prefer a Bay Trail Win 8 tablet over anything with Android, frankly. Have you looked at any of those?

A good Windows 8 tablet still costs much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Install Windows posted:

Until Artemis Director's Viewfinder, Sun Surveyor and DSLR Controller get ports to w8, I couldn't switch. I use those apps professionally and they account for about $50 worth of app purchases.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 4, 2013

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
During the last couple of days I noticed that the glass on my Nexus 7 (2013, LTE) has gotten a little loose on the lower half of the left side. Now it's creaking and clicking whenever I push the down-left quarter of the display. It's been sent in for repair and will probably take weeks to get back into my hands.

Is this what people refered to as the screen lifting issue that was so present on the 2012 models?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Install Windows posted:

Well, the ones with i5/i7s do, yes, but the new Bay Trail ones are around $300-400, and it seems a bit like comparing apples and oranges to compare an Android tablet with an S800 to a Windows tablet with an i5, since the i5 is many times faster. re: apps, I find that the win8 app selection isn't a huge deal, since you can use every windows program.

Anyway not to turn this into a derail. I do think if you're looking to use a tablet as a tablet/laptop hybrid (which is what wanting a keyboard tells me), they're worth looking into, though.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

I don't even know the right place to post about this, so I'm trying here since it affects my N7 the most. Sometime within the last month, I have become unable to watch streaming videos over wifi without constant buffering. Hulu, netflix, youtube, everything just buffers every 2-3 seconds of actual play. It worked fine before this, but now it is effectively making my N7 (and phone) unable to watch videos on my home wifi. My internet speed is still fine, everything streams properly to my desktop and 360 that are wired, I can even stream HD content from local storage on my network, but I can't stream any internet video over wifi. I've checked to make sure my channel isn't being crowded by something else, and my router has WMM enabled. I don't know what to do, it's being very frustrating not being able to use my N7 for one of its primary functions anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions I can try?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Are you using a bluetooth speaker/headphones?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

inkblottime posted:

Has Win 8 improved their app selection? That's the main reason I haven't considered it. I use things like Keepass, Google Drive, and eBook apps for Kobo, Nook, and Amazon. I already know Android has all the apps I need and didn't want to get stuck like I have with the iPad. Plus I like to play games occasionally and Android has a huge selection to choose from.

I think the Bay Trail Win 8 tablets are Windows 8.1 not Win RT so they run full Windows apps.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

FordPRefectLL posted:

I think the Bay Trail Win 8 tablets are Windows 8.1 not Win RT so they run full Windows apps.

waffle posted:

Anyway not to turn this into a derail. I do think if you're looking to use a tablet as a tablet/laptop hybrid (which is what wanting a keyboard tells me), they're worth looking into, though.

Good to know. I will check them out.

EDIT: This is what you're talking about, right?

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 4, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

inkblottime posted:

Good to know. I will check them out.

EDIT: This is what you're talking about, right?
Yeah, I actually have that one. It's a solid tablet, and a great value for the price. It's super fast, though the keyboard can feel cramped and it feels a bit plasticky.

On the whole, for media/entertainment, the Nexus series and iPads better than the new Bay Trail optionsn(the resolution/screen will be better, and the aesthetics will be better), but if you need it to work on documents and stuff and as a general laptop replacement, it's much, much better to have full Windows than the apps on iOS/Android, in my opinion, and Bay Trail is both very fast and provides great battery life

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
I've had my Nexus 7 2nd gen for a couple weeks now and I'm starting to notice phantom touches where the last touch I did is as if I were holding down on that spot. Most noticeable when I'm typing and the secondary letters comes up in Swype as if I were holding down on a letter. Also when I'm playing Clash of Clans and I tap out a few troops on to the field, it will start rapid dropping them in the last spot I tapped.

I've read about the issues some N7s have had with multitouch which worries me that this might be similar. Is there a fix for this or is an RMA the only option?

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

bull3964 posted:

Are you using a bluetooth speaker/headphones?

Nope, no bluetooth enabled in my apartment when this is happening, or any other 2.4ghz appliances for that matter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Viper915 posted:

I don't even know the right place to post about this, so I'm trying here since it affects my N7 the most. Sometime within the last month, I have become unable to watch streaming videos over wifi without constant buffering. Hulu, netflix, youtube, everything just buffers every 2-3 seconds of actual play. It worked fine before this, but now it is effectively making my N7 (and phone) unable to watch videos on my home wifi. My internet speed is still fine, everything streams properly to my desktop and 360 that are wired, I can even stream HD content from local storage on my network, but I can't stream any internet video over wifi. I've checked to make sure my channel isn't being crowded by something else, and my router has WMM enabled. I don't know what to do, it's being very frustrating not being able to use my N7 for one of its primary functions anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions I can try?

Is this HD video? How far away from the router are you? Are there many walls in between? Are you using 2.4 or 5Ghz? 5Ghz doesn't have as good a range as 2.4, but it has enough bandwidth to stream full HD video. You can stream HD over 2.4Ghz but it won't be as smooth sailing as it would be with 5Ghz. That's the problem I ran into with my TV when I moved. My TV ended up too far away from my computer to hook it up so I started streaming over the network. I kept getting buffering and stuttering so I bought a new router with a 5Ghz band and haven't had a single problem since. I only use 5 since 2.4 has too many problems with interference both from microwaves and bluetooth. I was trying to figure out why the hell my bluetooth mouse kept stuttering all over the place until I realized I was on the 2.4Ghz network. I switched to 5 and had no problems since.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The 2012 Nexus Wi-Fi reception is complete crap but I've found using Best Wifi Keeper lets me keep a strong enough signal to stream anywhere in my house.

Is the 2013 version any better? I'd upgrade just for better Wi-Fi at this point.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Cojawfee posted:

Is this HD video? How far away from the router are you? Are there many walls in between? Are you using 2.4 or 5Ghz? 5Ghz doesn't have as good a range as 2.4, but it has enough bandwidth to stream full HD video. You can stream HD over 2.4Ghz but it won't be as smooth sailing as it would be with 5Ghz. That's the problem I ran into with my TV when I moved. My TV ended up too far away from my computer to hook it up so I started streaming over the network. I kept getting buffering and stuttering so I bought a new router with a 5Ghz band and haven't had a single problem since. I only use 5 since 2.4 has too many problems with interference both from microwaves and bluetooth. I was trying to figure out why the hell my bluetooth mouse kept stuttering all over the place until I realized I was on the 2.4Ghz network. I switched to 5 and had no problems since.

It's only 2.4Ghz in a small apartment and I can't even get it working on my couch less than 10 feet from the router. I figured it wasn't related to 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz since it worked fine previously, and also since I could stream HD local files from my PC. The only things I can't stream are internet videos like hulu/netflix/youtube. Unless they changed something about their streaming recently to make them use more bandwith, but even then it all plays fine on any wired devices. I guess I can buy a dualband router but the one I have is only about a year old and worked fine until the last few weeks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Posting this here too since it's also about the Nexus 10.

For those with the Nexus 10 and are waiting for 4.4, it looks like the Nexus 10 will not have translucent Navigation and Notification Bars as it doesn't work properly for it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2510252

quote:

Sadly, Google Nexus 10 will not get the Translucent Navigation and Notification Bars with the Android 4.4.1 KitKat update, which allow the wallpaper to go full screen from top to bottom like in the Nexus 5.

Google devs Disabled the Translucent bars on Nexus 10 (Manta) because it "performs poorly on this device"... 2GB Ram and a powerful Quad-core Mali TS04 GPU and it performs poorly ??! May be because of the High-res display, I think it's a GPU issue.

Manta source code includes the following code listed on [config.xml] which contains the device configurations, Screenshot below too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

frozenpeas posted:

The 2012 Nexus Wi-Fi reception is complete crap but I've found using Best Wifi Keeper lets me keep a strong enough signal to stream anywhere in my house.

Is the 2013 version any better? I'd upgrade just for better Wi-Fi at this point.

Never had a problem with the WiFi on my 2012 N7. Got just as good of a signal as my phones.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I got a slimport adapter for my Nexus 7 because I can't figure out how the gently caress to stream mkv files to my XBox. Is there any way to mirror the tablet with the tablet screen off? Seems redundant, and hard on the battery, to watch a movie with the tablet screen on.

It also doesn't correct the aspect ratio so there's a border with the screen on the TV, anything can be done about that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

joedevola posted:

I got a slimport adapter for my Nexus 7 because I can't figure out how the gently caress to stream mkv files to my XBox. Is there any way to mirror the tablet with the tablet screen off? Seems redundant, and hard on the battery, to watch a movie with the tablet screen on.

It also doesn't correct the aspect ratio so there's a border with the screen on the TV, anything can be done about that?

Where did you even get one? The official one doesn't seem to be sold anymore and everything is really expensive or lying about being slimport and actually being MHL.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cojawfee posted:

Where did you even get one? The official one doesn't seem to be sold anymore and everything is really expensive or lying about being slimport and actually being MHL.
Has it been sold anywhere but Amazon? It's still there.
https://www.amazon.com/SlimPort-HDMI-Adapter-Connect-enabled/dp/B00DWGB6CU/

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I live in South Korea, I ordered it from GMarket.co.kr, which is a nightmarish experience in most respects. I bought three different cables from local shops trying to find something that would output my Galaxy S3 before realizing Samsung had done their own offbrand output adapter bullshit. One of them even stated on the box it was S3 compatible :sigh:

I'm really surprised HDMI out is so rarely used that the functionality is still this primitive. Even supposedly HD youtube videos, which look fine on my big PC monitor, look like absolute balls on my not much bigger TV. I was looking forward to watching old episodes of Computer Chronicles and the Twilight Zone on my telly.

And, as I mentioned, the tablet screen stays on throughout, which is distracting and hard on the battery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ah, I've been checking amazon for a while. At first they listed it for 30 or 40 something then it was entirely gone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having a problem with their Nexus 7 2013 just randomly crashing and needing to have the power button held for a little bit to turn it back on? I woke up this morning and it wouldn't wake up so I had to hold down the power button to reset it.

Hope it's not a hardware defect...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone having a problem with their Nexus 7 2013 just randomly crashing and needing to have the power button held for a little bit to turn it back on? I woke up this morning and it wouldn't wake up so I had to hold down the power button to reset it.

Hope it's not a hardware defect...
One of my friends had that problem. It was caused by the magnet in his case. Take it out of the case and see what happens.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

One of my friends had that problem. It was caused by the magnet in his case. Take it out of the case and see what happens.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. Was it, by chance, the Poetic Slimline?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. Was it, by chance, the Poetic Slimline?
No. I gave him mine and it seems to be working fine for him. I've just been using it without a case. It's much nicer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

No. I gave him mine and it seems to be working fine for him. I've just been using it without a case. It's much nicer.

Hmm.. it's just now started for me. Hopefully this is the case (no pun intended :v:) ..

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Yeah, I just put a screen protector on mine and used it with no case, such a better feel.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Here is a really specific request that is probably impossible but what the hell:

Does anyone have (or had) an Acer Iconia a501 tablet? (That's specifically the AT&T 3G one, the a500 is the wifi only one). I got one for free, and it's stuck on 3.2 I'd like to get the modified bootloader and recovery going but apparently all the files needed have up and disappeared from XDA and wherever else. If anyone out there ever had one of these things and happen to have the files needed to downgrade to 3.0 and get root and what not, I'd appreciate it.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Quick question about KitKat and the Nexus 7. If I want a device that functions like the Moto X in that I can activate Google Now even if the screen is off, such a feature has to be designed into the hardware, right? It's not like KitKat can activate this feature in devices like the Nexus 7?

Because I long for the day when my lazy rear end can be in bed, turn to my tablet that's sitting on my nightstand, and say "Ok, Google, check the weather" and it tells me the info.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Quick question about KitKat and the Nexus 7. If I want a device that functions like the Moto X in that I can activate Google Now even if the screen is off, such a feature has to be designed into the hardware, right? It's not like KitKat can activate this feature in devices like the Nexus 7?

Because I long for the day when my lazy rear end can be in bed, turn to my tablet that's sitting on my nightstand, and say "Ok, Google, check the weather" and it tells me the info.

The Nexus 7 (2013 at least) CAN actually do this with Kit Kat as it's software-based and not really hardware. However, Google has made it 100% exclusive to the Nexus 5.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I think he's referring to the always listening function. On the N5 you can activate google now from the homescreen, but only if the phone is already on and unlocked. The Moto X can do it even if the phone is off.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Yep, that's what I meant.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Butt Savage posted:

An app called Open Mic+ can do this for you, but it would probably kill your battery. It can be set to only work when the device is charging though.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Alright then. I should have mentioned that I don't own a Nexus 7, just wondering about possibly purchasing a tablet and which one would fit my needs best if I do. Google piqued my interest with the Moto X's always listening feature and the possibility of KitKat bringing such a thing to Android tablets. In the meantime, I'll take into consideration the Nexus 7 + Open Mic+ combo. I hope Google makes that feature a standard on future devices. It's an exciting concept.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Does the magnet in the poetic case cause reboots? I just switched to a poetic case for my nook hd, and have been experiencing a lot of random reboots. I thought it was from recently switching to 10.2.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Cast No Engine posted:

Does the magnet in the poetic case cause reboots? I just switched to a poetic case for my nook hd, and have been experiencing a lot of random reboots. I thought it was from recently switching to 10.2.

Take the case off and find out?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just got my Kindle 8.9HDX and holy poo poo this screen is fantastic. I went from a OG Nexus 7 to this thing and the screen is incredible. Couple that with the Snapdragon 800/2Gb of ram and everything is so darn... instant.

Other things to note:

Battery life is fantastic.
Amazon prime videos. :smug:
Chrome works
This thing is startlingly light.
Awful app works as well.

Overall I really like it even though it isn't a stock Android experience. The only thing I do miss is multiple user accounts.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 9, 2013

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

Viper915 posted:

It's only 2.4Ghz in a small apartment and I can't even get it working on my couch less than 10 feet from the router. I figured it wasn't related to 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz since it worked fine previously, and also since I could stream HD local files from my PC. The only things I can't stream are internet videos like hulu/netflix/youtube. Unless they changed something about their streaming recently to make them use more bandwith, but even then it all plays fine on any wired devices. I guess I can buy a dualband router but the one I have is only about a year old and worked fine until the last few weeks.

Change your tablet or router's DNS servers. Also turn off WiFi-optimization if you haven't already. Also WMM is silly, just disable it.

So I'm running the n5 port build on both my nexus 4 and nexus 7 2013. Working great. Have the home screen voice controls, running ART on both. Latest gapps running fine, I don't have any apps with issues. Everything works except the cameras on the n7, don't care about that. 4.4 is a big step up.

Only gripe is that the Google keyboard pops up every time I goto the home screen.

YES, "Okay Google" works from the homescreen if you use the Google Experience Launder(GEL).

Bicycle SexFucker fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 10, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got my Asus TF-201 with 4.1.2 and rooted. Is there any modified Asus skin upgraded to 4.3? or should I just try to get a CM/whatever for it? I want to update my OS but I don't know if its worth to lose my Asus built-in apps like Asus Battery wich shows my tablet and docking battery life and the power management modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Has anyone had a chance to mess around with the 10.1" Note 3 yet? I'm interested to see how it runs with the Atom, and how it compares to its predecessor.

I'm in a toss-up dilemma on what to do about my dead 2012 N7. I'm managing to make it without a tablet, but I'm not liking it, and I'm going to need to replace it soon.

I'm considering spending ~$80 on an N7 with a busted screen and swapping the guts into my deaded N7 with a perfect screen, then offloading that for a touch of profit to put toward a 10" model of something.

Problem is, there hasn't been a new N10 announcement yet, and I don't want to drop $400 with something (purportedly) coming down the pipe so soon. If I could just get a release announcement about the new N10 it would make my life so much easier, heh.