Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got it working now, up and running and fully rooted.

Frozen-Solid posted:

I should get mine tomorrow: should I download the factory image in preparation and flash it before doing anything else? Should I log into the phone and await an OTA update before doing anything else?
I suspect that either of these methods will work fine. Just don't bother trying to root the version that it ships with.

Unlocking the bootloader is certainly fine, though, so if you don't need root immediately just do that and then wait a bit for things to settle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GutBomb posted:

Except that's not how it happened at all though. Almost as soon as he was brought back as the CEO the product line was cleaned up, iMac debuted, and they made inroads into the digital video editing arena. And this was all within the first year. 3 years later the iPod debuted as did OS X.

Where in those first 5 years of Steve Jobs' return did he take the company downhill again?

Jobs came in in 1997. iMacs were flashy but they essentially held flat in sales for years at a time even as the PC market massively expanded. iPods were launched in 2001 but they didn't hit the big time until 2003 when you could finally get them with USB (the 2nd gen had been PC compatible but only for people with Firewire, which wasn't many). OS X was a disaster at launch and remained rather unpopular for a long time.

I mean seriously the first 4 years he was back, all Apple had was their failing-to-keep-up computer business and like, the Newton for a year. Then they had the iPod for another 2 years but as it was restricted at first to their tiny share of Mac OS users that didn't go anywhere at first, and then it was basically half-supported on Windows and still wasn't a real hit.

Essentially, those first 4 or 5 years was a pretty poo poo time for Apple, when this was still most of their business up until 2003/2004:

It cannot be understated how important the iPhone was for them - and how that took a full 10 years after Jobs' return to happen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Got it working now, up and running and fully rooted.

I suspect that either of these methods will work fine. Just don't bother trying to root the version that it ships with.

Unlocking the bootloader is certainly fine, though, so if you don't need root immediately just do that and then wait a bit for things to settle down.
So just restore the factory image first, then use TWRP and SuperSU? I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

So just restore the factory image first, then use TWRP and SuperSU? I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.
Yes. And make sure you flash the radio and bootloader from the image, not just the main zip. Or use the script file that does everything if you prefer.

Also maybe worth noting that I flashes SuperSU from a zip, not via TWRP's built in prompt on reboot, in case that matters.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I was hoping to restore my handful of games to my N5 without loving with the recovery and rooting. So I decided to pull my games off my old GNex with helium....except I apparently set a backup password that I cannot for the life of me remember. Is there any way to blank that out on my GNex so I can use Helium?

I guess otherwise I could unlock, TWRP, SuperSU, TitaniumBackup, Restore, unroot, uninstall Titanium, flash stock recovery, and re-lock.

I just want my loving scores preserved and to finally have a phone I'm not dicking with all the time. Stupid developers, this SHOULDNT BE THAT HARD.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FunOne posted:

I was hoping to restore my handful of games to my N5 without loving with the recovery and rooting. So I decided to pull my games off my old GNex with helium....except I apparently set a backup password that I cannot for the life of me remember. Is there any way to blank that out on my GNex so I can use Helium?

I guess otherwise I could unlock, TWRP, SuperSU, TitaniumBackup, Restore, unroot, uninstall Titanium, flash stock recovery, and re-lock.

I just want my loving scores preserved and to finally have a phone I'm not dicking with all the time. Stupid developers, this SHOULDNT BE THAT HARD.

Unlocking will factory reset the device, so ...

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I just got a Note 2 (Sprint) used, and after a year and a half with a Galaxy Nexus I love the signal and the giant battery, but hate the bundled crap so I'm probably going to root.

I flipped back a few pages and a lot of people recommend the Carbon rom. What functionality do I lose if I go for a non-Touchwiz rom? Like, does Carbon support the stylus thing? What makes it so great, and what are the runners-up?

Are there any Touchwiz roms I should look at? There are about a million roms with strange letters attached (MA7, MC2, LK8) in this XDA thread and I'm kind of paralyzed for choice. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go for Paranoid Android like I did on my GNex since the main thing I liked was customizing the home/back button bar and the Note 2 has a dedicated one.

Can someone just treat me like the idiot I am and show me around?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you have the issue where it wont boot after installing TWRP, do a factory reset in TWRP and that should fix it

If you have the issue where TWRP is acting funny after installing and asking for a password on loading, do a fastboot format userdata then do the factory reset

So get the OTA first, unlock and install TWRP and do a factory reset. If it works, good stuff. if it says 'failed', do a fastboot format userdata and then the factory reset

As for root, once you've done the above, it shouldn't matter how you install it

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Just in case it helps anyone: first thing I did when getting the phone was CF autoroot. Booted phone for the first time and it immediately did an OTA after setting up the network. That took out root so I just ran autoroot again.

This is my first Nexus - I'm used to running CM on all kinds of random devices. Would like to keep this as close to stock as possible, but I'm already missing some customisations - tweaking the quick settings panel, expandable volume panel, clicking the clock in the notification pane taking me to the clock app and not the bloody timezone settings...
Is Xposed framework the "correct" way to change this kind of stuff? Not going to touch anything until the 4.4 dust settles a bit, but wondering which space I should watch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DashingGentleman posted:

Just in case it helps anyone: first thing I did when getting the phone was CF autoroot. Booted phone for the first time and it immediately did an OTA after setting up the network. That took out root so I just ran autoroot again.

This is my first Nexus - I'm used to running CM on all kinds of random devices. Would like to keep this as close to stock as possible, but I'm already missing some customisations - tweaking the quick settings panel, expandable volume panel, clicking the clock in the notification pane taking me to the clock app and not the bloody timezone settings...
Is Xposed framework the "correct" way to change this kind of stuff? Not going to touch anything until the 4.4 dust settles a bit, but wondering which space I should watch.
I personally am just waiting for the CM11 builds to start but if you just want to modify those framework things then yes, birddogging the xda thread on Xposed and maybe keeping an eye on the various Nexus 5 xda forums is the best way.

I pity your soul though, following xda for meaningful information is a rough racket.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I pity your soul though, following xda for meaningful information is a rough racket.

I shall kiss my darling wife and children goodbye, then don my diving helmet before wading into the brackish depths.

I think I'll wait an see with CM11. CM used to be basically the Nexus experience + tweaks which is exactly what I want. Now they're their own company and Google is basically severing their services from AOSP - it'll be interesting to see in what direction CM develops.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DashingGentleman posted:

I shall kiss my darling wife and children goodbye, then don my diving helmet before wading into the brackish depths.

I think I'll wait an see with CM11. CM used to be basically the Nexus experience + tweaks which is exactly what I want. Now they're their own company and Google is basically severing their services from AOSP - it'll be interesting to see in what direction CM develops.
I agree with you on CM and Google/AOSP. Already the AOSP split was causing some problems when running CM-- Just try to get Photosphere working on it, it's not easy. With 4.4 there's a lot more integration of Google services into proprietary things CM can't modify. Most of the best stuff, like the new launcher paradigm with Google Now integration, is going to be tough to replicate by third parties (and no, the stock launcher sucks so that's not really an option).

I fear that CM will start to look like Jelly Bean 4.3.1 rather than 4.4. That being said I think I'd rather have that with the framework mods you mentioned than 4.4 stock. You didn't mention the myriad settings improvements that are also missed but it's a lot of stuff you don't really notice until it's not there.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

nimper posted:

Unlocking will factory reset the device, so ...

The GNex is fully unlocked and on a custom ROM, I just am trying to keep my new N5 closer to stock. Unlocking the N5 doesn't set me back now as I haven't really used it much, still waiting on my SIM card to arrive.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm trying to figure out the best way to restore data from Titanium for non-system apps... but I can't seem to find an option for that. When I logged into my account it loaded a bunch of stuff from the Play Store, so I can't just add missing apps + data, since that won't restore data for what was downloaded automatically.

What's the best way to restore just the non-system data?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Snapshot 10.2 build for the hercules SGS2 finally fixed the problem where my phone won't vibrate or show the CM spinning logo on boot-up after a restart or shutdown. Work for the S2 seems to be progressing much faster than I anticipated, which is pretty nice in my opinion.

Now it's all down to waiting to see if they'll develop a 4.4 version for this old phone :v:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to restore data from Titanium for non-system apps... but I can't seem to find an option for that. When I logged into my account it loaded a bunch of stuff from the Play Store, so I can't just add missing apps + data, since that won't restore data for what was downloaded automatically.

What's the best way to restore just the non-system data?
You want the "Restore all apps with data" option.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So is there any reason to actually keep a GS4 with an unlocked bootloader if I don't want to do custom ROMs?

I'm fine with the stock ROM with the bloat frozen/removed and root access. It looks like there's a way to update to the 4.3 OTA and keep root but I'd lose my unlocked bootloader in the process. Am I right in thinking there's no real downside here since I don't do any ROM stuff?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

axeil posted:

So is there any reason to actually keep a GS4 with an unlocked bootloader if I don't want to do custom ROMs?

I'm fine with the stock ROM with the bloat frozen/removed and root access. It looks like there's a way to update to the 4.3 OTA and keep root but I'd lose my unlocked bootloader in the process. Am I right in thinking there's no real downside here since I don't do any ROM stuff?

Only real downside is that you'll also lose the ability to use custom recoveries, which let you backup your stock ROM.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Only real downside is that you'll also lose the ability to use custom recoveries, which let you backup your stock ROM.

Ah that is a shame. I used that a few times back on my GNex after I encountered some problems applying updates. Of course since the GS4 actually gets updates unlike the GNex that might not be an issue.

It just feels like heresy to update a GS4 with an unlocked bootloader.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I've been playing around with different roms on a Samsung Galaxy s III (sprint) and suddenly TWRP is asking for a password when I boot into recovery.

I've tried flashing different versions of TWRP through ODIN, but that's not done anything.

Any ideas?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Ah that is a shame. I used that a few times back on my GNex after I encountered some problems applying updates. Of course since the GS4 actually gets updates unlike the GNex that might not be an issue.

It just feels like heresy to update a GS4 with an unlocked bootloader.

If you have a GS4 with an unlocked bootloader & custom recovery, odds are very high that someone is going to package OTA's as flashable ZIPs so you don't actually have to sacrifice OTA's.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

papa horny michael posted:

I've been playing around with different roms on a Samsung Galaxy s III (sprint) and suddenly TWRP is asking for a password when I boot into recovery.

I've tried flashing different versions of TWRP through ODIN, but that's not done anything.

Any ideas?

Flashing through Odin isn't working at all. I'm able to push zips with adb but TWRP fails on install.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Okay. I'm unsure what seemingly 'reset' twrp for me. Finally back up and running with Cyanogenmod.
If anyone else runs into this issue, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809307&page=102 may be the cure.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I just installed CM10.2 on my VZW S4 and I have no LTE?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I rooted my at&t galaxy S4 and now I cannot recieve or send mms messages. I think it may have something to do with a few processes I have frozen to prevent at&t updating. Either way I'm probably gonna reformat my phone. Has anyone else had this trouble?

I heard there was a rom that overwrites the at&t os with the bare bones google one. I'd love to clear off all this bloat, but I was worried that I'd be screwing myself over somehow. Has anyone tried this?

Edit: Aha! It was adblock plus stopping my MMS messages. I just uninstalled it, reset and it started working again.

I was worried before about freezing atuff with titanium backup, but not so much anymore. I have a table I found online that says what can and what shouldn't be frozen. Though I'd still prefer it was gone.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 7, 2013

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Not rooted, but this is probably the right thread for this anyway. Has anyone with an AT&T moto X tried the new 4.4 build yet?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2517577

I'm debating because the X is working fantastically right now, but I am also curious to see 4.4.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just wait for the OTA, man. Installing prerelease engineering builds isn't a great idea.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Yeah yeah good point. Patience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Today's This Week in CM specifically mentions the Galaxy Nexus as "having good results" in the bring-up effort for CM11. Of course two paragraphs later they specifically mention how Motorola OMAP devices are likely screwed. Basically they're saying don't rule anything out but nothing's set in stone yet either.

Nice that they're expecting CM11 nightlies by the end of the month though. I miss CM quite a bit though I'm equally missing a rebased Nova.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
After finally getting Nexus 4 LTE working properly along with voice, I cobbled together my research on XDA into a more useful guide. If anyone else finds this useful, I would recommend it get added into the OP. As always, this involves rooting and editing system files. Proceed at your own risk, flashing radios incorrectly can result in a bricked phone, etc.

Nexus 4 T-Mobile LTE Documentation

This guide will cover enabling LTE on a Nexus 4 phone on T-Mobile's USA LTE Network. This guide assumes that you have a Nexus 4 activated on T-Mobile, rooted stock 4.3 with custom recovery (in my case, SuperSU & TWRP). Your Nexus should be connected to your computer via USB, which should have the Android SDK installed for its specific OS. Essentially, you should be able to have your phone connected, and get a valid result when you enter "adb devices" in your CLI shell of choice.

code:
C:\>adb devices
List of devices attached
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        device
Also, the device should be freshly installed, but you can proceed at your own risk if you don't wish to wipe (it may be wise to backup first).

Step 1 - Install Hybrid Radio

Newer versions of the radio for the Nexus 4 had LTE support removed shortly after release since the LTE chip never got FCC approval in the US. User morrislee on xda has managed to play with the radio versions, essentially keeping the WiFi and other radios up to date, while still shoehorning in the older LTE radio version that is still present. Download the following link and apply it to your phone. This can be done by first transferring the file to your phone with
code:
adb push /local/path/to/LTEhybrid33-84.zip /sdcard/

or by simply using MTP if you have that enabled for your OS. You can then reboot into recovery and flash it.

Step 2 - Edit System Files

Even with the new radio installed, you will need to make edits to key system files in order to fix phone audio issues, and to ensure that LTE is enabled in the phone settings and that the proper APN is added to access T-Mobile's LTE network. First, you will need to backup the following files we are going to work with. You can access the phone using
code:
adb shell
and then entering the command
code:
su
and then approving the escalation on your phone's SuperUser application. You should see the following in your shell:
code:
C:\>adb shell
shell@mako:/ $ su
su
root@mako:/ #
With your adb shell with root access, enter the following commands to first allow rewriting of files in /system, and then make backup copies of the files:

code:
mount -o rw,remount /system
cp /system/build.prop /system/build.prop.bak
cp /etc/apns-conf.xml /etc/apns-conf.xml.bak
cp /etc/snd_soc_msm/snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3 /etc/snd_soc_msm/snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3.bak
Exit the adb shell and enter the following commands to download the files you will need to edit in your text editor of choice:

code:
adb pull /system/build.prop /local/path/to/build.prop
adb pull /etc/apns-conf.xml /local/path/to/apns-conf.xml
adb pull /etc/snd_soc_msm/snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3 /local/path/to/snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3
NOTE: the line numbers quoted assume you are using a stock rooted 4.3 image. If not, I will also include the exact content of the line so you can find it in your ROM/version of choice if possible. The edits to snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3 to fix voice communication may not be necessary in stock 4.2 or 4.2-based ROMs as I have not tested it.

In your build.prop, append the following to the end of the file:

code:
telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1
ro.telephony.default_network=9
ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=24
ro.ril.hsupa.category=7
In apns-conf.xml, look for the APN starting on Line 4157:
code:
  <apn carrier="T-Mobile US"
You will want to change that line to:
code:
  <apn carrier="T-Mobile LTE"
And the apn= line (4160) from:
code:
      apn="epc.tmobile.com"
To:
code:
      apn="fast.t-mobile.com"
Finally, in snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3, you will want to first find Line 1804 and change it from:
code:
	ACDBID	81:1
To:
code:
	ACDBID	7:1
And go to Line 2765 and change it from:
code:
	ACDBID	91:2
To:
code:
	ACDBID	6:2
Be careful of the whitespace on the lines. You should only be changing the numerical value to the left of the ':' character to keep things simple.

With the three files edited, upload them back to the phone:

code:
adb push /local/path/to/build.prop /system/build.prop 
adb push /local/path/to/apns-conf.xml /etc/apns-conf.xml 
adb push /local/path/to/snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3 /etc/snd_soc_msm/snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3
Reboot your phone. Once done, you should see a 4G logo when not connected to Wi-Fi. If not, please take the following troubleshooting steps:

Step A - Check APN
On the phone, go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. Click on the APN titled "T-Mobile US" and change the Name value to "T-Mobile LTE" and the APN value to "fast.t-mobile.com". Click on the three vertical dots on the upper right and hit 'Save'.

Step B - Verify LTE is enabled
Open the Phone App, in the dialpad, enter "*#*#4636#*#*", the Testing menu will open. Select "Phone Information". Scroll Down to the "Set preferred network type" dropdown and select "LTE/GSM Auto (PRL)". If you had to change the network type, the modem will disconnect and reconnect. You should see the following values if you have a good connection:

code:
GSM Service: In Service
GPRS Service: Connected
Network Type: LTE
If you do not see these, you may have to restore from backup and start over, or retry from a freshly wiped device. Once you get LTE working, it is highly recommend you perform a backup in recovery so you don't have to repeat the process if you ever have to wipe your phone.

Once 4.4 comes out for the Nexus 4, I will try the OTA update method via recovery to see if the settings in the system files are preserved. Likely, they just need to be reedited/reuploaded, along with reflashing the custom radio again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to follow your guide, Tatsujin, but when my phone is booted up, adb (on Windows) can't find it. USB debugging is on. I re-installed PDANet, so I should have the proper drivers. What else should I check?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
My windows 7 laptop recently stopped being able to talk to my Nexus 4 through ADB when the phone is set to MTP mode. It works when the phone is set to camera mode. Settings -> Storage -> menu -> USB Computer Connection. Change to camera (PTP) mode if media device (MTP) mode isn't working.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

5TonsOfFlax posted:

My windows 7 laptop recently stopped being able to talk to my Nexus 4 through ADB when the phone is set to MTP mode. It works when the phone is set to camera mode. Settings -> Storage -> menu -> USB Computer Connection. Change to camera (PTP) mode if media device (MTP) mode isn't working.

That ...mostly worked. Now it gives the device ID and then says "offline". I've never seen that before. What does it mean?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

That ...mostly worked. Now it gives the device ID and then says "offline". I've never seen that before. What does it mean?

That means ADB hasn't been given permission from the handset (new in JB). THere should have been a prompt on your device after the first ADB command to allow access.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That means ADB hasn't been given permission from the handset (new in JB). THere should have been a prompt on your device after the first ADB command to allow access.

Well, there wasn't (at least not today). What sort of adb commands are there that won't actually do something, but will induce that prompt? I tried bugreport and get-state, but the first said "device offline" and the second said "unknown". I'm running CM10.2, and went in and USB debugging authorization for all computers, thinking that might prod it to work, but no prompt.

hooah fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 10, 2013

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Yeah, interactions with adb and drivers in general on a rooted phone can be a huge asspain in Windows. Here is what I did in my environment if you need help:

1. On your phone, ensure that USB Debugging is enabled. You can do this by first enabling Developer Mode under Settings > System > About Phone. Scroll down to the build Number and tap it seven times. If you are doing this correctly, you should see a message once it is enabled. You can then go to Settings > System > Developer Options > Debugging and check the box for USB debugging.

2. On your computer, remove any existing drivers. First, if you have any third-party driver tools, remove them via Control Panel > Programs and Features. Then, with your phone connected under Control Panel > Device Manager, remove any existing ADB devices or unknown devices by right-clicking on it and selecting "Uninstall". Make sure to check the box "Delete the driver software for this device". Disconnect your phone and reboot the computer once done.

3. Download and install koush's Universal Windows ADB Driver here. Make sure you do not connect the phone until the install is complete.

4. When you connect the phone, you should see in the device manager that the ADB device has been installed (ADB interface > Google Nexus ADB Interface), and there will be an unknown device for MTP. I will cover later how to get that working. On your phone, you should get the prompt to allow USB debugging from the computer as long as the ADB driver is properly installed, and you first connected the phone after installing the device. Allow the prompt.

5. If you already don't have adb installed in some form, install it. I just use the Android SDK. You can find it here. Click on "Use an existing IDE" and then click on the button to download SDK tools for windows. Once installed, you can go to Start > Programs > Android SDK Tools > SDK Manager (You may have to run it as administrator). Ensure that "Android SDK Platform-tools is installed" (Don't install the Google USB Driver, since you're already using an alternative). From there, you should be able to use adb from cmd.exe. If you get a command not found error, you will need to add the platform-tools directory to your Path environment variable. This can be done under Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Environment Variables > System Variables. Scroll down to Path and click on the Edit button. Copy the full string to a text editor and append this to the end if the path is not already present:
code:
x64
;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\
x86
;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\
Then, you can remove the full value and copy the modified path back in from your text editor and then Click OK. You will need to reboot after making changes to environment variables.

You can also get both ADB and MTP working. If you followed the above, you should still have an Unknown Device in your Device Manager named "MTP" when your phone is connected. You can just install the generic MTP USB Driver, and it will work. You can do this by going to Control Panel > Device Manager > Unknown Devices > MTP > right-click > Update Driver Software... > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer" > "Show all devices". On the left field, choose "Standard MTP Device", and on the right field, choose "MTP USB Device". Accept the warnings and install the driver. It should then install, and show up in the Device Manager under "Portable Devices > Nexus 4".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Where's this ADB interface?
I uninstalled PDANet and an older version of the Universal Windows ADB driver, but now I'm not even getting a device ID when I say "adb devices".

Looking at the computer's Device Manager, there's a yellow exclamation mark on "Google Nexus ADB Interface". How do I fix that?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Hmmm, for some reason the installation process didn't install the driver. The installation process saves a copy of their driver to C:\Program Files (x86)\ClockworkMod\Universal Adb Driver\usb_driver. You can follow a slightly similar process for installing MTP:

Control Panel > Device Manager > Unknown Devices > Google Nexus ADB Interface > right-click > Update Driver Software... > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer" > Show All Devices > Have Disk... > Browse > C:\Program Files (x86)\ClockworkMod\Universal Adb Driver\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf. Click OK and accept the warnings.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just use Google's USB driver for everything and it works. It's in the extras folder of the SDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Is there an official build of CWM that works with the Nexus 5 yet?