Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Forums Terrorist posted:

would it be a bad idea to learn erlang for fucks

the problem with learning erlang is are you smart enough to use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Forums Terrorist posted:

no

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

why don't you read a book or something else instead, go outside or something

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

:getin:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
just got to use the new async aware call stack in windows 8.1/studio 2013. well done. made debugging my poo poo code easy.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I kind of want to learn an erlang but I don't know what I could use as a learning project

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Forums Terrorist posted:

you can learn erlang, but i guarantee you will get no fucks out of it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
c project s: learnt me some ninject today. woah this is cool. far less of a pain than i expected IoC containers to be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plastic Snake posted:

i honestly thought it was a quote , didnt mean to offend, sorry, god bless

lol mate ill be nice, but ytou dont ask people for the sources of their evidence. yospos isn't d&d. make poo poo up, misquote it. do anything but present the true context ok?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

PleasingFungus posted:

I kind of want to learn an erlang but I don't know what I could use as a learning project

chat server ?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

just got to use the new async aware call stack in windows 8.1/studio 2013. well done. made debugging my poo poo code easy.

devdiv makes good tools the problem is they don't get along with windiv AT ALL

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

coffeetable posted:

c project s: learnt me some ninject today. woah this is cool. far less of a pain than i expected IoC containers to be

ninject is pro as heck

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

i was gonna make a huge long post describing a terrible programming problem i was having, but the act of writing it down lead me to a solution. thanks yospos, you're the greatest.

quote:

aight, terrible programming question:

in C#, im representing a 3d foam by four classes:
  • Cell, which contains lists of neighbouring Faces, Edges, and Vertices,
  • Face, which contains lists of neighbouring Cells, Edges and Vertices,
  • Edge, which contains lists of neighbouring Cells, Faces and Vertices,
  • Vertex, which contains lists of neighbouring Cells, Faces and Edges
i also have various Generator classes which (with the help of a pile of helper classes) create various structures by linking instantiations of these classes together. for example, a CubeGenerator would produce
  • 1 Cell object with references to 6 Face objects, 12 Edge objects and 8 Vertex
  • 6 Face objects each with references to the Cell object, 4 Edge objects and 4 Vertex objects
  • etc etc etc
yes! you're right, dealing with a data structure this heavily linked can be a damned pain, but it's a natural representation of the object, it makes few assumptions about global structure and it's really easy to traverse.

anyway what i'd like to be able to do is subclass a Cell/Face/Edge/Vertex and add new fields to it that can hold data about that cell. the first solution to mind is to go nuts with generics, but that means instantiating my CubeGenerator would be

new CubeGenerator<TCell, TFace, TEdge, TVertex>()

and instantiating a face would be

new Face<TCell, TEdge, TVertex>()

which is gonna become painful pretty quickly. the next idea is to wrap all those generics in a Mesh class, where the type arguments are given once when the Mesh object is created, and then anyone who needs a new Cell object can call Mesh.NewCell(). this however loses some modularity - if you want to add a field to Cell, you need to

wait it's not that much modularity lost and it solves everything, woop

(yeah it's a standard factory i really should've spotted it earlier)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Welcome to the world of Rubber Ducking.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Nomnom Cookie posted:

devdiv makes good tools the problem is they don't get along with windiv AT ALL

is this a hold over from Sinofsky making GBS threads all over silverlight and the windiv cackling with glee?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

MononcQc posted:

time to buy a rubber duck on amazon

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

is this a hold over from Sinofsky making GBS threads all over silverlight and the windiv cackling with glee?

imo it started with longhorn when windiv tried to use clr, failed miserably, and decided that it was because clr sucks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

and confusingly it has nothing to do with duck typing. way to be loving confusing programmers

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then you should probably give that duck some muthafuckin bread crumbs

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
yisss

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

MononcQc posted:

i dug this guy out my closet after reading kernighan & pike

but for whatever reason, talking out loud doesn't make me consider my options as rigorously as writing things down

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MononcQc posted:

It was described to me as involving a sock monkey. And then again with a stuffed gorilla (I think). And a bear.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i use my cat for rubber ducking because i can pet her at the same time

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

coffeetable posted:

i dug this guy out my closet after reading kernighan & pike

but for whatever reason, talking out loud doesn't make me consider my options as rigorously as writing things down

do people actually talk to a duck or something
i just imagine some coworker having to dig in my code and going all "wtf did you do this poo poo for" and i write comments explaining said poo poo to that hypothetical pissed off coworker

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Talking things out loud (or writing them down) -- and generally thinking about them in a way that forces you to boil down abstract thought to something explicit and tangible -- is often a good way to figure out where your mental abstract model is disconnected from the real world expectations you have about it. Also see subvocalization as an interesting related topic.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Zlodo posted:

do people actually talk to a duck or something
i just imagine some coworker having to dig in my code and going all "wtf did you do this poo poo for" and i write comments explaining said poo poo to that hypothetical pissed off coworker

my process of problem solving

1. explain it to myself (silently)
2. explain it to the pig
3. explain it in writing
4. explain it to a person

the vast majority of stuff is caught by the first stage, but 2 & 3 frequently catch stupid questions without wasting anyone else's time. it also means that by the time i get to 4, ive got a clear statement of the problem

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'd make sure to follow all these steps if Peter Norvig was my teacher or something but with friends I just don't hesitate to start explaining my problem because hey socialization and gently caress talking alone

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 5, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

i am really fukkin awful for asking questions only to realise i already know the answer, so the self-censorship is probably more valuable to me than it is to most people :shobon:

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Nomnom Cookie posted:

imo it started with longhorn when windiv tried to use clr, failed miserably, and decided that it was because clr sucks

iirc it had to do with wpf support and windiv being really angry they had to support this ~*managed*~ stuff in the draw layer but it snowballed later during winrt development where the windiv team tried to kill off the clr team because why would you want nice high-level language and tool support to develop on windows c is good enough programming is hard and it should feel hard i am the angry subject of a tef post

i heard about most of this through blog posts and twitter but as im mostly a c# dev by trade it was a bit shocking to see the level of hostility shown towards the very idea of .net by one of the monster gorillas within microsoft. cuz who doesnt miss COM right?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

coffeetable posted:

i am really fukkin awful for asking questions only to realise i already know the answer, so the self-censorship is probably more valuable to me than it is to most people :shobon:

asking questions is good because they help the person you're asking them of know that it's kinda confusing

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Monkeyseesaw posted:

iirc it had to do with wpf support and windiv being really angry they had to support this ~*managed*~ stuff in the draw layer but it snowballed later during winrt development where the windiv team tried to kill off the clr team because why would you want nice high-level language and tool support to develop on windows c is good enough programming is hard and it should feel hard i am the angry subject of a tef post

i heard about most of this through blog posts and twitter but as im mostly a c# dev by trade it was a bit shocking to see the level of hostility shown towards the very idea of .net by one of the monster gorillas within microsoft. cuz who doesnt miss COM right?

What's windiv?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Monkeyseesaw posted:

"miss" com? com is the go-to for new windows APIs. look at the list of new apis in win8

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh920511(v=vs.85).aspx

theres about as many new interfaces (not methods) as functions

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

prefect posted:

What's windiv?

windows division iirc

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DevDiv (VS, .net), WinDiv (figure it out, genius), Office

edit: ofc with stack ranking all the nodes are shooting at each other also

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

bill gates read this comic and thought it was a good idea

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Nomnom Cookie posted:

"miss" com? com is the go-to for new windows APIs. look at the list of new apis in win8

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh920511(v=vs.85).aspx

theres about as many new interfaces (not methods) as functions

as long as the new stuff gets reflected into the .net framework then whatever the unmanaged stuff has to move forward too but since the turf war over .net's very existence spilled out into the street the winrt stuff makes me nervous (but hey we can do everything in js and html5 now im sure that will allow me to build scalable web services).

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Monkeyseesaw posted:

as long as the new stuff gets reflected into the .net framework then whatever the unmanaged stuff has to move forward too but since the turf war over .net's very existence spilled out into the street the winrt stuff makes me nervous (but hey we can do everything in js and html5 now im sure that will allow me to build scalable web services).

I honestly had no clue that .net's existence was under threat. Why in the world would microsoft even entertain killing an objectively good thing?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

Why in the world would microsoft even entertain killing an objectively good thing?

hahahahahaha

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dirk Pitt posted:

I honestly had no clue that .net's existence was under threat. Why in the world would microsoft even entertain killing an objectively good thing?

we have an entire thread about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
microsoft management's structure and review system has led to warring internal feifdoms? you dont say!

:rolleyes:

• Locked thread