Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That...makes no sense at all :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Slavvy posted:

That...makes no sense at all :psyduck:

Maybe WOP is now a slur for Indian people? I really haven't been keeping up with casual racism.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I don't know if Harley's marketing is slick enough to rope in hipsters. They've just written Soul, Authentic, Urban in dumb fonts. They need to start producing vimeo videos if they want in.

This makes 3 hipster aimed bikes, the Yamaha Bolt, that weird BMW whatever, and this thing. Hipster bikes are the choppers of this decade.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
LOL 4 ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKxQtRpaBo0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What makes a bike aimed at hipsters, exactly, besides a video of the bike being ridden by a bearded dude in ray-bans and all-stars? There's nothing particularly special about that bike, and nothing obvious in common between the H-D, the Bolt and the BMW.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

What makes a bike aimed at hipsters, exactly, besides a video of the bike being ridden by a bearded dude in ray-bans and all-stars? There's nothing particularly special about that bike, and nothing obvious in common between the H-D, the Bolt and the BMW.

a bike is a bike is a bike, it's how it's marketed that forms people's opinions. Look at the Gladius. If Suzuki had just chucked it on the showroom floor and said nothing about it, it would have had a very different reception. Basically marketing ruins motorcycling.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

a bike is a bike is a bike, it's how it's marketed that forms people's opinions. Look at the Gladius. If Suzuki had just chucked it on the showroom floor and said nothing about it, it would have had a very different reception. Basically marketing ruins motorcycling.
I wish to hell the gladiusstyle website was still on the internet somewhere. It was epic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The marketing, as hnasty has so succinctly demonstrated. Usually it's in conjunction with the bike having vaguely retro overtones, wildly clashing styling themes, a faint whiff of "cafe racer style" and no clear function/price-driven market segment.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Harley Davidson comes out with a line of motorcycles weighing less than 500 lbs and water cooled and all anyone can talk about is that they advertise to weird people?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FUCKIN HIGH PERFORMANCE JAP poo poo I TELL YA

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The marketing, as hnasty has so succinctly demonstrated. Usually it's in conjunction with the bike having vaguely retro overtones, wildly clashing styling themes, a faint whiff of "cafe racer style" and no clear function/price-driven market segment.

poo poo, I wasn't aware the Bolt was meant to be a hipster bike, but I didn't really pay attention to the marketing. I just thought it was a Yamaha Sportster. Though the Sportster models it most closely resembles do have that whiff of being targeted at the tight jeans and big beards crowd, so I dunno.

E: metric-sized harleys are weeeeird

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 5, 2013

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm not sure if Yamahas reveal at EICMA should be here or in the stupid poo poo thread.

The MT-09 seems like a great bike, but come on...

So easy a child could ride it...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Harley Davidson comes out with a line of motorcycles weighing less than 500 lbs and water cooled and all anyone can talk about is that they advertise to weird people?
Seriously though this has blown my mind. I cannot believe this is real. The end of an era.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Seriously though this has blown my mind. I cannot believe this is real. The end of an era.

HAMAS HATE BOAT (props for name!) is ultimately right. The whole thing is staggering, it's like the pope throwing condoms at a crowd of gay abortion supporters. We're going to have to think of a bunch of new tropes.

Maybe harley have decided that one day their average buyer's fuckwit children are going to want a motorbike, and that motorbike should be a harley? Strategically it seems like a good idea at any rate. Be interesting to see what the media think of them now that they are competing on a direct parity basis with metrics.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
UH GOD drat HARLEY RUINING THEIR LINEAGE WHAT A DISGRACE TO THE NAME

Seriously though, they had to go to water cooling sooner or later. EPA and euro emissions requirements are killing off the big displacement air-cooled bikes. I just wish they would've done it when project nova was going on, things would've been a lot different now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was under the impression that the more recent Harleys were air-cooled in name only anyway, what with the way their oil system is designed. Sort of like the last air-cooled 911s, which have a thermostat-controlled oil cooling fan and carry !12 quarts! of oil in the loop.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I was under the impression that the more recent Harleys were air-cooled in name only anyway, what with the way their oil system is designed. Sort of like the last air-cooled 911s, which have a thermostat-controlled oil cooling fan and carry !12 quarts! of oil in the loop.

I think that up until this year, the only Harleys with a dedicated oil cooler were the top end touring models.

There's not much info on them other than the marketing material, so we need to make fun of something.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
My first thoughts:
I am really curious how the power figures will end up. A water-cooled 750cc should easily match or best an air-cooled 883cc, the smallest Sportster, and outperform it with 80lbs less to move. IIRC the 883cc is only in the 50-55whp range. Do they gut the 750 to keep it out of Sportster sales, or do they let it have some oomph and count on bumping the Sportster up later?

And then I looked at some of the competition:
Whoa, actually, it looks like the Shadow 750s are only in the 38whp range and they're also liquid-cooled. Goddamn. So the Street 750 could well be in that range, making the 883cc Sportster a reasonable step-up. And the 2014 Shadows are up around 535lbs wet, meaning the Street 750 is 50lbs lighter. And - more impressively - $750 cheaper, being $7,500 compared to the $8,240 MSRP of the Shadow 750s. That's crazy. The small cruiser market is worse than I thought.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Yamaha Bolt: 540 lbs
Yamaha VStar Custom: 514 lbs
Honda Shadow RS: 503 lbs
Kawasaki Vulcan 900: 610 lbs
Suzuki Boulevard M50: 593 lbs
Triumph America: 550 lbs
Harley Iron 883: 562 lbs
Honda CTX700: 494 lbs (per a review, not on the mfr website)

Harley Street 750: claimed 480 lbs wet

The lightest cruiser style motorcycle on the market, by a lot, that isn't a babby thumper for babbys is a harley davidson V-twin. The triumph and CTX are also I2's. Next closest thing is the Suzuki S40 650cc thumper at 381.

The V-rod these (motors) are allegedly based on is nearly 200 lbs heavier. Other than maybe bullshit weight claim, wtf is Harley doing? Aluminum? Why would Harley of all people bother lying about their weight?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Not to upset the lifestyle selection guide discussion, but the CTX is a loving awesome bike.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

"It's basically free"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"it's like going to fast food places every day, I can take that out of my budget, and for 4 dollars a day I can have a HARLEY DAVIDSON." I can't tell if he's just parroting what the salesman told him or if he's just kinda brainwashed.

Incidentally if it's say 2% interest and a $4000 bike with no down payment, that 4 dollars indicates that he's got it on a 36 month term.

e: did you know that on a motorcycle, you can slow down and speed up when you need to? Is this a special Harley Davidson feature?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 5, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

"it's like going to fast food places every day, I can take that out of my budget, and for 4 dollars a day I can have a HARLEY DAVIDSON." I can't tell if he's just parroting what the salesman told him or if he's just kinda brainwashed.

Incidentally if it's say 2% interest and a $4000 bike with no down payment, that 4 dollars indicates that he's got it on a 36 month term.

They've already won because you think he's a real person.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You live in the Bay area. You've never met dudes like in that video? I see a couple dozen a day.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cycle World posted:

Separate aluminum cylinders are fitted with pressed-in iron liners, and the only difference between the 500 and 750 versions, which share a 66.0mm stroke, is the bore. The 500’s is 69.0mm, which makes for an actual displacement of 494cc. The 750’s bore, at 85.0mm, makes for a displacement of 749cc. Redline for both engines is 8,000 rpm, and peak power for the 750, though not officially announced, was said by one Harley rep to be 54 hp at 7,500 rpm, with 44 pound-feet of peak torque arriving at an unspecified rpm. A single balance shaft keeps the V-twin from shaking too much, and a six-speed transmission works with Harley’s familiar belt final drive.

If those numbers are right, that puts the water-cooled 750 a little above the 883 Iron for HP and about the same for torque.

Couple other points:

quote:

a liquid-cooled 60-degree V-twin whose chain-driven single overhead camshafts operate four valves per cylinder via roller rockers with screw adjusters.

... a step back from no-maintenance hydraulic lifters, I'm sure Harleyites will bitch about that one.

quote:

the goal was to produce a smaller, nimble bike that had enough suspension travel to handle rough urban streets. To that end, the blacked-out Street, which is based on a narrow, steel perimeter frame, offers two inches more travel front and rear than an Iron 883. “We wanted it to be light and fun, and have a more neutral riding position,” explained Vorndran, who added that Harley has been more weight-conscious with the Street than it has with other models. Both Street models, for the record, tip the scales at a claimed 480 lb. wet, which is roughly 200 lb. lighter than, say, an Iron 883. The Street’s fuel tank and fenders are steel.

Sportsters and Harleys in general having poo poo suspension with no travel is a common complaint (really, a common one with the whole genre) so having actual shock absorbtion is also interesting.

I'm curious as to how this works with the Sportster line because unless you absolutely must have that air-cooled engine for whatever dumb reason, I'm not seeing any point in buying an Iron 883 any more.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
Should I feel bad that I've used the "basically free" line almost word for word?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Also this thing is probably a riot to ride but man is it not fun to look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-X30h9s1Vc

chia
Dec 23, 2005
BMW's new naked S1000R 2014:

Visordown.com posted:

THIS is BMW's new S1000R, the naked version of their S1000RR superbike.

Revealed at the EICMA motorcycle show today, one of BMW's worst-kept secrets finally gets confirmed.

The 160bhp machine is based on the S1000RR superbike. The engine's cylinder head and camshaft have been redesigned and in addition to this, the S1000R runs a new map and is tuned for torque.

The redline is now set 2,000rpm lower than the S1000RR and it produces its maximum power at 11,000rpm and maximum torque of 83lbft at 9,250rpm. The super naked makes 7lbft more torque than the superbike.

The S1000R comes with Race ABS and traction control as standard. There are two riding modes, Road and Rain but you can bolt on a sports package which ads a Dynamic and Dynamic Pro mode along with a quickshifter.

The S1000R comes with conventional suspension, adjustable for compression and rebound at the front and rebound at the rear. Dynamic Damping Suspension (DDS) is an optional extra.

The S1000R features a steering damper, aluminium tank and a 22mm longer wheelbase than its superbike sibling.

It weighs in at 207kg which is almost identical to the S1000RR. The S1000R is available in Racing red non-metallic, Frozen dark blue metallic and Light white non-metallic paintwork.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/official-2014-bmw-s1000r-in-full/23910.html#ixzz2jljbj7uS

Edit: Whoops, huge images, resized.

chia fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 5, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

chia posted:

BMW's new naked S1000R 2014:

Edit: Whoops, huge images, resized.

lol so they looked at the Tuono V4 and said "Yes, let's make that but even uglier and hamstring the power!"

chia
Dec 23, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol so they looked at the Tuono V4 and said "Yes, let's make that but even uglier and hamstring the power!"

Pretty much. And that torque curve makes me sad (compared to the new superduke...).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The BMW styling looks outright restrained next to the Kawasaki

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

The BMW styling looks outright restrained next to the Kawasaki

I actually kinda like the Z1000. If you're gonna go for that sort of look go really big or go home.

Also I really want to know what that bar on the left of the speedo cluster represents.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Given a choice between the S1000R and the new Z1000 I'll take the monster 1200.

Speaking of 1200's the best touring bike ever, the R1200RT, is getting a wethead:

Announcement later today/tomorrow.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also I really want to know what that bar on the left of the speedo cluster represents.

On the Kawi? The tacho is split, RPM 0-3000 is on the lower half going vertical, 4000-redline is top half going horizontal. I have mixed feelings about it

I don't mind the overall theme but with every revision Kawi just adds way too many uncoordinated shapes and angles, it's impossible to sweep the eye across without it dragging in odd directions, and that's a bad thing for something trying to look fast.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

On the Kawi? The tacho is split, RPM 0-3000 is on the lower half going vertical, 4000-redline is top half going horizontal. I have mixed feelings about it

:psyduck:

No way that's the real instrument cluster.

chia fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 5, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That's horrendous. That would actually turn me off buying one of them over other options in that class of bike.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Kawasaki has a history of trying to make "futuristic" instrument clusters and failing hard. Looks like they're continuing the tradition here.

chia
Dec 23, 2005
That actually looks like a digital dash from an 80's car. With TURBO.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ugh. There's no problem in having a funky looking dash so long as it is functional too. See: KTM 1290 Super Duke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

chia posted:

That actually looks like a digital dash from an 80's car. With TURBO.

Z31 cluster kept me amused for way longer than it should have.