Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

HollisBrown posted:

UNDERFLOW IS BACK!

Yes, sorry...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Is there any good option for replacement pickups for a Jazz bass with two neck-width pickups? Everything I've seen won't fit in my bass, and I'm not sure it's worth whatever the cost is for modifying the wood on a Mexican Fender.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

edit: removed

aunt jenkins fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 28, 2013

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
Aero Pickups makes a set specifically for Mexican J basses with identical widths. Some dealers offer two neck pickups in a set too. Best Bass Gear suggests shooting them an email about any odd-set Bartolini pickups, and I imagine they get a few requests for two necks. That said, a Dremel tool and less than a half hour will let your bass take any pickups. If you intend to replace the bass later anyway don't spend $110+ upgrading the pickups.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

It looks like I may be playing bass with a former band of mine, in which I'd played guitar (poorly).
I had to voice my concerns here because the band downtunes a halfstep for (almost) all of their songs, and I wanted to know if any other bassists deal with this and if they downtune, as well, so as to hit that F#, or if they maintain standard tuning. I kinda wish I had a five-string, then I could play standard and hit even lower when necessary.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jeff Goldblum posted:

It looks like I may be playing bass with a former band of mine, in which I'd played guitar (poorly).
I had to voice my concerns here because the band downtunes a halfstep for (almost) all of their songs, and I wanted to know if any other bassists deal with this and if they downtune, as well, so as to hit that F#, or if they maintain standard tuning. I kinda wish I had a five-string, then I could play standard and hit even lower when necessary.

Phil Lynott (and the rest of Thin Lizzy) were usually tuned down a half-step. It's also pretty common amongst some blues-rock bands. So there isn't anything unusual about it.

If it's a vast majority of songs in Eb, I'd just downtune... I'd want to be able to hit that open low Eb.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 28, 2013

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I read in Bass Player magazine, the source of all things true, that Stevie Wonder's band all tunes down half a step.

Well, at least Superstition is in Eb.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CisSTAR 19 posted:

I read in Bass Player magazine, the source of all things true, that Stevie Wonder's band all tunes down half a step.

Well, at least Superstition is in Eb.

I don't blame them, a lot of Wonder favourites weren't written for a bass guitar, I Wish is certainly easier down a half-tone. Having said that, I prefer Master Blaster and Sir Duke in their original key, although Blaster is slightly easier if tuned down.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Do it if you need to. I downtune to C# standard for one band and all the way down to B standard for another. You do need to adapt to different tension if you go that far but you get used to it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
So close to being finished.*

The only outstanding item is to replace the Carvin BX1200 (which is really a nice head in its own right) with the Baer Valkyrie, but the pre-production run still hasn't shipped and I'll be on the first full production run.

My first actual legit pedalboard, too. I've always been averse, but the B3K sounds so good it caused me to re-evaluate.

*yeah right

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Need suggestions for a 8ohm cab to pair with my v2 bass cab. I am running a v4 and would just like something that would give it the extra push for heavier projects.

Just demo'd it live with my other project, that I dont play bass in, and that whole 100w not enough volume thing was dispelled.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's always best to just get another one of the cab you have.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's always best to just get another one of the cab you have.

Very true but vintage 412s are hard to come by :cripes:

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
What is the cheapest / easiest way to get my bass to play through my computer? I want some way to play along with music with headphones, rather than playing the music and the bass out loud.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Moogs posted:

What is the cheapest / easiest way to get my bass to play through my computer? I want some way to play along with music with headphones, rather than playing the music and the bass out loud.

Someone in the Rocksmith thread in Games posted an $8 copy of the original game:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocksmi...smith&lp=4&cp=1
The cable's basically a generic USB to 1/4" audio interface

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

baka kaba posted:

Someone in the Rocksmith thread in Games posted an $8 copy of the original game:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocksmi...smith&lp=4&cp=1
The cable's basically a generic USB to 1/4" audio interface

Cool, thanks!

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

I even tried using thumb position at the 12th fret, but it's pretty awkward (and unnecessary!) on a horizontal neck.
I've heard rumors of Victor Wooten doing this sometimes, but I don't know how true they are. It's definitely amusing to imagine though.

Btw please tell me about your fretless bass(es).

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Nice! Enjoy it!

Did you pick it up used? I'm pretty sure they stopped making them a year or two back, I don't think there was much demand for them... But everyone I've spoken to that has one absolutely loves it.

Missed this, sorry! Yeah, I got it used from a guy on TalkBass for about $850. I don't know why they discontinued it, mine's rad.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Need suggestions for a 8ohm cab to pair with my v2 bass cab. I am running a v4 and would just like something that would give it the extra push for heavier projects.

Just demo'd it live with my other project, that I dont play bass in, and that whole 100w not enough volume thing was dispelled.

Check out https://www.fliptops.net

Bruce makes some super nice custom and repro cabs. I have a sealed 4x10 with some nice eminence speakers modelled after the old flat back svt 8x10 cab speakers. It's basically half a 8x10. I highly recommend checking him out. He has the old style blue-silver grill cloth, too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Macavity posted:

Missed this, sorry! Yeah, I got it used from a guy on TalkBass for about $850. I don't know why they discontinued it, mine's rad.

Probably just weren't sellin enough of them. The pickups make it a pretty niche (albeit amazing) sound when compared to a standard Jazz or P configuration.

Same reason I'm having some trouble selling my hollowbody. Granted I'm not trying SUPER hard yet...

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ericadia posted:

I've heard rumors of Victor Wooten doing this sometimes, but I don't know how true they are. It's definitely amusing to imagine though.

Btw please tell me about your fretless bass(es).

My fretless is a bit of a frankenfender. It was actually my first bass, originally a (fretted) Fender Bullet Bass. Then I read an interview with Jaco about how he took his Fender Jazz, pulled the frets out and put boat epoxy (or enamel or something) in the gaps. So being a dumb teenager I figured that it would be a cool idea to do the same. Except instead I yanked out all the frets at once instead of one at a time :downs: So the neck obviously became bowed enough that you could shoot arrows with it.

I eventually got a fretless neck from Steve's music but I didn't realize that I would need to get a new nut and tuners. It's only in the past five years that I did that, and I also replaced the bridge since I wanted the intonation to be a solid as possible. It plays really nice but I think the sound from the pickups is a bit too mid-rangey and coarse (and really, the Bullet was a just an el-cheap-o bass anyways). I've always wanted to replace it with a fretless that has active pickups but I have some sort of bizarre sentimental value for the thing.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

My fretless is a bit of a frankenfender. It was actually my first bass, originally a (fretted) Fender Bullet Bass. Then I read an interview with Jaco about how he took his Fender Jazz, pulled the frets out and put boat epoxy (or enamel or something) in the gaps. So being a dumb teenager I figured that it would be a cool idea to do the same. Except instead I yanked out all the frets at once instead of one at a time :downs: So the neck obviously became bowed enough that you could shoot arrows with it.

I eventually got a fretless neck from Steve's music but I didn't realize that I would need to get a new nut and tuners. It's only in the past five years that I did that, and I also replaced the bridge since I wanted the intonation to be a solid as possible. It plays really nice but I think the sound from the pickups is a bit too mid-rangey and coarse (and really, the Bullet was a just an el-cheap-o bass anyways). I've always wanted to replace it with a fretless that has active pickups but I have some sort of bizarre sentimental value for the thing.

I'm not familiar with the Bullet, would it be able to accommodate P-Bass style pickups? From searching for photos it looks like no, but I can't tell at a glance. Your story reminded me of a 6-string Ibanez I saw in the music store the other day. It had been defretted/epoxied etc, and had black painted strings (it was a consignment). It looked like a lower end ibanez bass, but I was curious so I played around with it a bit. I was surprised by how... awful it sounded. It still had round-wound strings instead of flatwound, and the pickups looked like generic cheapies. Such a bizarre bass that someone definitely poured some time into.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ericadia posted:

I'm not familiar with the Bullet, would it be able to accommodate P-Bass style pickups?

I believe it uses Fender Mustang-style pickups. From searching for photos it looks like no, but I can't tell at a glance.

quote:

Your story reminded me of a 6-string Ibanez I saw in the music store the other day. It had been defretted/epoxied etc, and had black painted strings (it was a consignment). It looked like a lower end ibanez bass, but I was curious so I played around with it a bit. I was surprised by how... awful it sounded. It still had round-wound strings instead of flatwound, and the pickups looked like generic cheapies. Such a bizarre bass that someone definitely poured some time into.

I use roundwounds on my fretless. People go on about how it wrecks the neck, but I don't find the wear & tear to be too bad, plus it has a pretty distinctive sound.

Six-string fretless is something else. I don't know how guys like Steve Bailey do it.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

I believe it uses Fender Mustang-style pickups. From searching for photos it looks like no, but I can't tell at a glance.

I use roundwounds on my fretless. People go on about how it wrecks the neck, but I don't find the wear & tear to be too bad, plus it has a pretty distinctive sound.

Six-string fretless is something else. I don't know how guys like Steve Bailey do it.

I've seen round-wound strings leave grooves in the neck. I don't know if I'd consider that "ruined" though lol.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Can anyone here with experience speak to electric uprights? 15 years ago, in college, I was a fairly serious bassist; had an actual upright, 3/4 scale, played a fretless, had a fretted 6-string, and was playing a wide variety of music.

I've been out of the business for a long time, and it looks like there are some opportunities to play some small-ensemble jazz, and I always thought the electric uprights looked cool. Are there any brands/models that are recommended, ones to avoid, or is the whole concept kind of half-assed? That was kind of my assumption coming in. Seems like there's a huge variation in pricing.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Quidam Viator posted:

Can anyone here with experience speak to electric uprights? 15 years ago, in college, I was a fairly serious bassist; had an actual upright, 3/4 scale, played a fretless, had a fretted 6-string, and was playing a wide variety of music.

I've been out of the business for a long time, and it looks like there are some opportunities to play some small-ensemble jazz, and I always thought the electric uprights looked cool. Are there any brands/models that are recommended, ones to avoid, or is the whole concept kind of half-assed? That was kind of my assumption coming in. Seems like there's a huge variation in pricing.

If you are like me, you will want an EUB to have the same scale length as a 3/4 upright. There are some models that have the same length as uprights, and some that are many inches shorter. I played around with one a few years ago, and the shorter scale length drove me nuts. When my band played at Elmhurst last year, there were a few bassists there with EUB's, and they sounded pretty good. There was a discussion of EUB's a few months ago that mentioned a few good models, check my post history in this thread and you should be able to find it. I would link it for you, but I'm on my phone.

EDIT: checked my post history, that was way more than a few months ago. Some decent brands to look at are NS Design and Eminence on the high end, and Stagg and Palatino on the low end.

My upright's bridge is starting to warp a little - instead of having a nice symmetrical arch to a central point, the tip of the bridge is being pulled down towards the endpin. The whole thing is still perpendicular to the body, but that warp is a bit concerning. Has anyone had something similar happen before, and what did you do to fix it? I'd rather not get a new bridge if I can avoid it, but I may need to budget for one. The previous owner had a lovely C extension installed (which was still awesome to have until I had it removed a year later) and I think the extra tension may have weakened the bridge. I've already had to replace the endpin and nut because of that C extension, and I don't really what to throw another $200 into this upright if I could use that to replace the strings instead.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 3, 2013

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I'd avoid stagg if you can. It's not worth it

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Ericadia posted:

I'd avoid stagg if you can. It's not worth it

Yeah, I saw those on Musiciansfriend, and they seemed a little too good to be true at just $800 or so. Any brands you'd actually recommend? Is there a sweet spot that's relatively affordable, but still quality? Thanks.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Doomy posted:

Check out https://www.fliptops.net

Bruce makes some super nice custom and repro cabs. I have a sealed 4x10 with some nice eminence speakers modelled after the old flat back svt 8x10 cab speakers. It's basically half a 8x10. I highly recommend checking him out. He has the old style blue-silver grill cloth, too.

His stuff is pretty sick but is looking like around $800 shipped for their stuff. If I am throwing that much, probably would drop it on a emperor. or just keep an eye out for some vintage ampegs (non 810)

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Quidam Viator posted:

Yeah, I saw those on Musiciansfriend, and they seemed a little too good to be true at just $800 or so. Any brands you'd actually recommend? Is there a sweet spot that's relatively affordable, but still quality? Thanks.
Disclaimer: all of my experience with EUB is from trying them out in stores, so I don't have the "living with it" experience.

Yeah a lot of Stagg stuff is poorly/inconsistently made. They also make guitars, pedalboards, racks, stands, and all sorts of other things. To that EUB specifically, it sounds like a bass guitar, kind of defeating the purpose.

For the $800~ price range, Palatino would probably be fine, for more money NS seems to be quite popular. I've never actually had a chance to try one of the Yamaha EUBs, but I'd imagine they are solid, Yamaha rarely disappoints, especially at that price point (plus I like the form factor).

Quidam Viator posted:

or is the whole concept kind of half-assed? That was kind of my assumption coming in.
I won't lie, this is kind of the impression I get from most EUBs I've tried. Given the choice between the two, I would always go for a double bass, even though its more cumbersome to transport and store. But like I said, my experience with these instruments probably isn't in-depth enough to render a fair judgement.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I've had an NS Design NXT5 for almost two years, and love it. It sounds and plays like an upright. I've added D'Addario Traditionals and with a little more relief in the neck it's dead on.

The stock case is really bad, but Undercover makes a good one. The stock tripod stand is flimsy and awful too, but the CR endpoint stand or tripod stand are big improvements.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Smash it Smash hit posted:

His stuff is pretty sick but is looking like around $800 shipped for their stuff. If I am throwing that much, probably would drop it on a emperor. or just keep an eye out for some vintage ampegs (non 810)

That's probably your best bet, I imagine you could find a 4x12 V4 cab on ebay that would come out below $800 for a repro with freight. I ended up getting a fliptops because I wanted a sealed 4x10 that matched my amp.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

When I ordered my Bass VI in Guitar Center, they told me it would be shipped on October 14, 2013, then they told me November 1, 2013, and now they're telling me December 31, 2013.

I am dumb for buying anything in Guitar Center without physically having it in my hands. I traded in a guitar and they gave me store credit for it too (which they put down towards the Bass VI) so there's no way I'm getting my money back. Why am I so stupid

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Declan MacManus posted:

When I ordered my Bass VI in Guitar Center, they told me it would be shipped on October 14, 2013, then they told me November 1, 2013, and now they're telling me December 31, 2013.

I am dumb for buying anything in Guitar Center without physically having it in my hands. I traded in a guitar and they gave me store credit for it too (which they put down towards the Bass VI) so there's no way I'm getting my money back. Why am I so stupid

Seems kind of hosed up, are you sure there isn't a way you could complain or ask a full refund?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Odddzy posted:

Seems kind of hosed up, are you sure there isn't a way you could complain or ask a full refund?

I could cancel my order but I got a ten percent discount for the trade in plus $75 worth of store credit (I don't know how refunding gift cards works at Guitar Center but I assume the policy is not especially kind) so I'm going to guess I'd be taking a $110 bath on any sort of refund (also, I'm out a guitar). The point is, you can't trust the system

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Doomy posted:

That's probably your best bet, I imagine you could find a 4x12 V4 cab on ebay that would come out below $800 for a repro with freight. I ended up getting a fliptops because I wanted a sealed 4x10 that matched my amp.

I have been keeping an eye out. I have only found them pick up only in Bronx and cali - live in sc :/

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Looking to get a loud enough amp for small bars, so definitely 300w+ ...

Feeling overwhelmed. What's going on with this cabinet stuff? You buy an amp, and a cabinet? Do I only need a cabinet for super huge rigs?

All I know is that Peavey is a good brand name and I want 300w+. What else should I be looking for? Ohms? :psyduck:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

If you buy a standalone amp head you'll need a cab no matter what. Your amp will be rated at a certain power output for a certain load.

Example: 300W at 4Ω means you can hook up two 8Ω speakers and get 300W. Your speakers will be in parallel, so the resistance divides. Most amps will tell you their output based on load rating. Just make sure not to hook up more than your amp can handle. Like, if your amp isn't rated for a 2Ω load, don't give it one.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

To expand on this further, ohms measure resistance, and if your amp doesn't get enough resistance, it will fry itself. Like, with sparks. You can always go up in ohms (an amp rated for 4 ohms can plug into 8 ohm speakers which results in less output) but not down (you can't plug in an 8 ohm amp into 4 ohm speakers). Some amps also have multiple outputs; use the properly rated output to the speaker and you'll get the power advertised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Elephunk posted:

Looking to get a loud enough amp for small bars, so definitely 300w+ ...

Feeling overwhelmed. What's going on with this cabinet stuff? You buy an amp, and a cabinet? Do I only need a cabinet for super huge rigs?

All I know is that Peavey is a good brand name and I want 300w+. What else should I be looking for? Ohms? :psyduck:

Yes amp and cab. Amp drives the cab, cab has the speakers. I would recommend any ~300w solid state head (no power tubes) for your first head. And probably a 410 for your first cab. Depending on how loud you are playing though, you might want to do a 810. I prefer 12 inch speakers but most do not and 15s are sort of an acquired taste to me.

Depends on your budget, If you want to do it right - I would suggest ampeg. Peavey is not bad but, it is not too good either ( TO ME ).

A cheaper option that is not terrible is Hartke and I have heard they have excellent customer service. If you want to share how much you want to spend on both your head and cab together, I can give you some recommendations.

As for the Ohms you want them to match, that way you get the optimal output from your head.
8 ohm head = 8 ohm cab or two 16 ohm cabs
4 ohm head = 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs
2 ohm head = 2 ohm cab or two 4 ohm cabs

most solid states have a minimum ohm rating and can pair with cabs that are of a higher numerical value but wont produce as much power. ie a 4 ohm 300w head can work with a 8 ohm cab but will only push around 250w.

never mismatch ohms for a tube head. never plug up a tube head without it connected to a speaker cab.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 5, 2013