Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Bognar posted:

Note that some people might consider this :nws:. I was planning on offering some advice, but I had to close it out as soon as I realized what it was.

Sorry, edited the post to reflect that. On the other hand, considering how many sex toy stores I've worked on, at least here nobody's naked. Actually, solved the problem by ignoring it. Removed the recommendations that were causing trouble, so now that extra space isn't our problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
Kind of a random question. I just started a contract gig, a big part of which involves moving some old rear end ASP sites to Wordpress.

Before this happens, they want a report on how big a job this will be - how many pages exist, that kind of thing. The current estimate is around 3000 but they want a more specific report. Does anyone know of... I don't know. A site crawler or something that can report back on something like that?

I'm more of a front-end person, and we have no backend support on this, so I apologize if I'm not looking for the right solution. I have tried googling but it's hard to discern from the more dubious results.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mikerthan posted:

Kind of a random question. I just started a contract gig, a big part of which involves moving some old rear end ASP sites to Wordpress.

Before this happens, they want a report on how big a job this will be - how many pages exist, that kind of thing. The current estimate is around 3000 but they want a more specific report. Does anyone know of... I don't know. A site crawler or something that can report back on something like that?

I'm more of a front-end person, and we have no backend support on this, so I apologize if I'm not looking for the right solution. I have tried googling but it's hard to discern from the more dubious results.

Hmmm, if there aren't any pages hidden behind a login wall you could potentially use a sitemap generator which is basically just a glorified spider. It may give you some duplicates, but it'd at least give you a rough estimate.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You can probably do this with HTTrack.

haakman
May 5, 2011
So, Web Development Goons,

A friend of mine runs a small render farm. He wants to create some portal software - whereby a user can upload files to the render farm, see the real time progress of files being rendered (no of frames etc) and then download completed files. There needs to be a built in system of credit, whereby funds can be added to a user's account and then subtracted when a job is rendered.

I have been asked to look into this by my friend, as I have a very small smattering of web dev experience, and almost limitless time at the moment. It is way above anything I have ever done before. I am totally in the dark and, prior to pointing my friend towards a qualified professional, could someone let me know where I would start? Is this even doable?

The alternative involves actually coding a piece of software which sits on a user's computer, can be run via a plugin in 3DS Max and such. No idea on that front.

Thanks in advance Goons.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

haakman posted:

A friend of mine runs a small render farm. He wants to create some portal software - whereby a user can upload files to the render farm, see the real time progress of files being rendered (no of frames etc) and then download completed files. There needs to be a built in system of credit, whereby funds can be added to a user's account and then subtracted when a job is rendered.

I wrote up some ideas but they were probably wrong. I'm really interested in learning more about this.

The only solid advice I can give is that this is hard. You need an app to handle user registration, user jobs, user credit, and invoices. I imagine the job tracker to be a separate piece of software which your web app makes an api call to and updates the job status page every x seconds. On top of that I imagine some sort of queuing system will need to be built to handle multiple requests. Any of that sound right to anyone else?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

haakman posted:

I have been asked to look into this by my friend, as I have a very small smattering of web dev experience, and almost limitless time at the moment. It is way above anything I have ever done before. I am totally in the dark and, prior to pointing my friend towards a qualified professional, could someone let me know where I would start? Is this even doable?

The beginning and end of that should be easy enough, but the middle bit—showing real-time status—is going to depend entirely on what you can get the rendering software to generate for you.

Given what we're dealing with, I'd also have some concerns about bandwidth; you somehow have to get a generally large collection of assets to his render farm and then get the even-larger output files back. That might be trivial if he and everyone else have FiOS (or similarly blazing broadband), but that's not widely available in most parts of the US or the world.

Edit: Basically, you need this:

Oh My Science posted:

You need an app to handle user registration, user jobs, user credit, and invoices.

...most of which is provided by or easily added to any development framework in the language of your choice. Stripe or Braintree make billing and payments a snap.

Once you've got that, you need to run the jobs, which generally speaking shouldn't be a giant task; most renderers are easily scripted or called from a command line, and some even accept network requests one way or another. What level of in-progress data you can get out the renderer is the real rub. Absolute worst case, depending on the output format, you could count files (multiple stills) or scan a file (MPEG-*/MJPEG/other motion) for frame markers. It wouldn't be pretty, but if you can't get the renderer to spit out useful data, it would work.

Complexity will also swing one way or the other depending on how he wants the credit system to work.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 5, 2013

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
If I am given a css class for a sprite (background, offsets) , is there any way to add another class which refines the offset so it gives me some subportion of the sprite?

edit: assume that all i know is the absolute height and width of the sprite when i am building the second class.

The use case is so I dont have to make the user of something do additional work for their sprites.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 5, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

FamDav posted:

If I am given a css class for a sprite (background, offsets) , is there any way to add another class which refines the offset so it gives me some subportion of the sprite?

edit: assume that all i know is the absolute height and width of the sprite when i am building the second class.

The use case is so I dont have to make the user of something do additional work for their sprites.

Yes, there is. Make sure the "helper" rule comes after the original. I'm bit unclear on what you mean by "subportion" but you will be able to change the offset for sure, but the visible "window" of the sprite may or may not be able to be changed in that same selector. Can you post code / example?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been playing around with trying to do some responsive design stuff, wanted to see if anybody had any feedback for me on this little example: http://codepen.io/anon/pen/JwIsz

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

fletcher posted:

I've been playing around with trying to do some responsive design stuff, wanted to see if anybody had any feedback for me on this little example: http://codepen.io/anon/pen/JwIsz

Can you provide a context for this example? What are you trying to achieve? What am I looking at?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fletcher posted:

I see nothing offensive in this code, then again there's not much of it to be offended by.

If you want to be really anal and stupid, sometimes people bitch about stuff like <i> being less semantic than <em>, but uuuuugh.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

He's not using <i> for italics though, he's using it for icons (which is semantically consistent with glyphicons or whatever)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Oh My Science posted:

Can you provide a context for this example? What are you trying to achieve? What am I looking at?

I'm not really sure for context, I guess just think of it as another version of the profile page here on SA - just some sort of user account with some details about them, and some buttons to do stuff. The goal is to just provide a consistent experience whether you are on desktop, tablet, or mobile. I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something that is completely backwards and stupid or something.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fletcher posted:

My only suggestion is do "mobile first". Use responsive rules to handle wider viewports when your content looks "lost" in a wide viewport, or you can fit additional non-essential functionality in because of all the extra room. Also, people's eyes do not magically become better if they are reading on a phone. Your typography still needs to be large enough to be legible.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

fletcher posted:

I'm not really sure for context...

Lumpy already hinted at this... responsive design is based around your content. Yeah, your code looked fine, but a better exercise for you to work on would be taking an example of bad design and then fixing it. Simply moving things around the grid (why didn't you use the bootstrap grid?) is just the beginning.

Here are a few articles to read:

https://medium.com/design-ux/fa21105102c6
http://bruceackerman.com/paypal-redesign/

lazypeterson
Mar 7, 2008
Question:

I have a form with client-side validation and everything submitted to the server uses PDO prepared statements to protect against SQL injections. Nothing the user inputs is outputted on any page, it's simply added to a database for the admin (myself) to look at.

Aside from the fact that someone with Javascript disabled could enter anything into the boxes and submit successfully, is there any major problems with lack of server-side validation (w/ prepared statements for the inserts)? From a security standpoint?

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

lazypeterson posted:

Question:

I have a form with client-side validation and everything submitted to the server uses PDO prepared statements to protect against SQL injections. Nothing the user inputs is outputted on any page, it's simply added to a database for the admin (myself) to look at.

Aside from the fact that someone with Javascript disabled could enter anything into the boxes and submit successfully, is there any major problems with lack of server-side validation (w/ prepared statements for the inserts)? From a security standpoint?

Depends on what you mean by "major problem". Chances are you're fine if you have a small-scale app, but it's still not totally secure. See this link for the nitty gritty details:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/134099/are-pdo-prepared-statements-sufficient-to-prevent-sql-injection

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lumpy posted:

My only suggestion is do "mobile first". Use responsive rules to handle wider viewports when your content looks "lost" in a wide viewport, or you can fit additional non-essential functionality in because of all the extra room. Also, people's eyes do not magically become better if they are reading on a phone. Your typography still needs to be large enough to be legible.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought to do it that way. For the font size, is there a certain value I should never go under? I was kinda basing mine off the font sizes I see on my iPhone when viewing contact details.

Oh My Science posted:

Lumpy already hinted at this... responsive design is based around your content. Yeah, your code looked fine, but a better exercise for you to work on would be taking an example of bad design and then fixing it. Simply moving things around the grid (why didn't you use the bootstrap grid?) is just the beginning.

Here are a few articles to read:

https://medium.com/design-ux/fa21105102c6
http://bruceackerman.com/paypal-redesign/

Thanks for the links. I'll try the exercise of taking a bad design and fixing it, that's a good idea. I actually went down the bootstrap grid route first, and changed it to this, because I wanted the image and header to appear on the same line at lower resolutions. Or is there still a way to use the grid that achieves that?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is kind of a dumb question, but the discussion reminded me...is there a typical way of dividing a webpage into a grid or row/columns? Like, I know you can give certain elements margin properties, but there an easier way to say "this does in row 1 column 2"?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

... way to say "this goes in row 1 column 2"?

No? It depends on your content.

You can see grid overlays on http://960.gs/ (scroll down to the examples) which may give you a better understanding of how the 960 grid is applied to some content. A lot of grids / frameworks provide a grid overlay to use while you design and possibly a photoshop or illustrator template if you're lucky.

If we're talking about responsive grids it's about problem solving. What do your visitors / users use most often? What information is commonly viewed? What elements / sections should stand out or be removed? Are you trying to direct traffic to a certain product / service? etc.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh. :shobon: No, I'm just wondering, cause I like to sketch out a page before I make it and it commonly takes on a column format. It'd make my life easier if there was a tool that sorted it out for me, is that what 960/Unsemantic does?

What's the deal with stuff like Sass, by the way? Is it really necessary for smaller projects or can I work without it?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Pollyanna posted:

Oh. :shobon: No, I'm just wondering, cause I like to sketch out a page before I make it and it commonly takes on a column format. It'd make my life easier if there was a tool that sorted it out for me, is that what 960/Unsemantic does?

What's the deal with stuff like Sass, by the way? Is it really necessary for smaller projects or can I work without it?

The fun part about SCSS is that when your project becomes too large for manageable CSS you can just change the extension to .scss and voila! Sass file. It drops right in.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pollyanna posted:

I just started using LESS (very similar to Sass) a couple weeks ago, I'd say definitely use a CSS pre-processor for any size project. Support for "Nested Rules" in itself is a good enough reason to use it, not to mention all the other awesome stuff you can do with LESS or Sass. Makes writing CSS a lot less painful.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

fletcher posted:

I just started using LESS (very similar to Sass) a couple weeks ago, I'd say definitely use a CSS pre-processor for any size project. Support for "Nested Rules" in itself is a good enough reason to use it, not to mention all the other awesome stuff you can do with LESS or Sass. Makes writing CSS a lot less painful.

Yeah, that and variables are like the 100% intro stuff that gets you hooked. It's so much nicer to say @BORDER_COLOR or @BACKGROUND_COLOR than trying to remember which of 10 shades of gray I should be using.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
SASS/LESS is the CSS that CSS was supposed to be :colbert:

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'm not really sure I understand the question but CSS grids do make it easier to organize page content. The OP has a list of grids / frameworks that you might want to try out.

CSS preprocessors (SASS, LESS) are pretty awesome and I would recommend using them whenever possible. As others have already said they provide cool features which save you time and DRY up your code a bit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh My Science posted:

I'm not really sure I understand the question but CSS grids do make it easier to organize page content. The OP has a list of grids / frameworks that you might want to try out.

CSS preprocessors (SASS, LESS) are pretty awesome and I would recommend using them whenever possible. As others have already said they provide cool features which save you time and DRY up your code a bit.

Cool, that makes things a lot easier! So...in terms of what I need, will these be enough?

- Sublime Text
- SASS/LESS (which of the two is better?)
- Unsemantic
- Django, probably

I'm also working on learning Javascript, so I'll have to figure out what to do for that as well.

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
Would any kind Goon be interested in helping out a complete newbie troubleshoot my responsive site project for my web design class? I'm having trouble getting my images to align and size down properly. It's definitely web design 101 poo poo, but I'm just not getting it. I can post my code to codepen and give you a photoshop mockup of how I want my site to look in different viewports if you like, but I need to know if I post my html and css markups to Codepen, how should I go about place holding for images?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Selim Sivad posted:

Would any kind Goon be interested in helping out a complete newbie troubleshoot my responsive site project for my web design class? I'm having trouble getting my images to align and size down properly. It's definitely web design 101 poo poo, but I'm just not getting it. I can post my code to codepen and give you a photoshop mockup of how I want my site to look in different viewports if you like, but I need to know if I post my html and css markups to Codepen, how should I go about place holding for images?

Post a link. Unless the images are necessary parts of the layout that it won't make sense without, use placehold.it.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Cool, that makes things a lot easier! So...in terms of what I need, will these be enough?

- Sublime Text
- Unsemantic
- Django, probably

I'm also working on learning Javascript, so I'll have to figure out what to do for that as well.

The tools you use are completely up to you, use whatever speaks to your inner goon self / project needs. Some are listed in the OP but new cool stuff is coming out all the time.

I prefer SASS but I hear javascript guys like LESS. You will find good arguments for both, although I think SASS is more feature rich at the moment. Someone correct me if I'm talking out my rear end.

Selim Sivad posted:

Would any kind Goon be interested in helping out a complete newbie troubleshoot my responsive site project for my web design class? ... how should I go about place holding for images?

Post it on codepen and use http://placehold.it/ or any other image placeholder generator site.

Make sure you give us a general description of the site / project and what your goal is with the current design.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Any advice on how to make HTML pages printer-friendly? Is this a lost cause, or is there hope?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You can target printers in your css with @media print.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
So, I'm pretty fresh to developing websites. The last bit I did was about 10 years ago with some PHP.

I've figured out CSS, built a pretty snazzy template and some pages, have a nifty login and registration system. Now what I want is a blog. Nothing fancy, just something simple that I can slap down in a div with some <php> at the top and then do the same for an admin/edit/post page. The ones i've found on Google are...okay. Either it has far too many features and doesn't make it easy to fit into my current site, or it is built weirdly and I don't understand it.

Any help? Maybe some tutorials people have used in the past, or a page I can go to and read to magically understand it?

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
If you're new to pre-processors, and the tools you use don't have one built in (ex. Sass and Ruby on Rails), then compare the syntaxes to pick the flavour you prefer and rely on CodeKit for pre-processing. It's a pretty amazing tool for front-end development!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pollyanna posted:

- Sublime Text
- Unsemantic
- Django, probably

I love Sublime Text but I've been enjoying the hell out of PyCharm for Django, LESS, and JavaScript. It's a really nice IDE. It's loaded with features that make life easier.. As far as Sass vs LESS...either one. They both seemed great, I went with LESS since I was already using some other libraries that used it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Fella in my co-working space showed me a great way to handle aspect ratio in responsive designs recently. In a nutshell:

HTML code:
<ul>
  <li>
    <div class="ratio">
      <div class="content">
	Here be the content
      </div>
    <div>
  </li>
</ul>
CSS code:
.ratio {
  display: block;
  position: relative;
  padding-bottom: 75%;
  overflow: hidden;
  width: 100%; # unnecessary, but there to make the point
}

.ratio .content {
  position: absolute;
  top: 0;
  right: 0;
  bottom: 0;
  left: 0;
}

You now have a block that will be locked at 4:3 ratio no matter what you throw at it, because the vertical padding when given a percentage actually calculates off the horizontal space, not the vertical.

You can turn this into a swell mixin too:

CSS code:
@mixin ratio($aspect-ratio) {
  display: block;
  position: relative;
  padding-bottom: 100% / ($aspect-ratio);
  overflow: hidden;
  width: 100%;
}

.ratio {
  @include ratio(16/9);
}
Might be nothing new to people here but I liked it, really nice way to handle the problem, and finds a way to make use of the odd vertical percentage behaviour that I always knew about but never really understood when it would have an application.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Stupid question, but a friend of mine who is looking to get into web design/development was asking me for a book recommendation for learning Javascript/jQuery, and I realized that it's been so long since I started, and there are so many little gotchas I learned along the way that I have no idea whatsoever what to recommend to them. Something that'll get them where they're going, but also communicate that jQuery isn't the end all say all answer for every approach.

Any thoughts?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

pipes! posted:

Any thoughts?

Is he dead set on books? Almost anything in book form will still be jQuery based I would think.

Many of the 'learn to code' sites would be a great fit for him. Tell him to spend his book money on one or two months of team tree house and that he will learn more in two months than an entire year in a post secondary school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fletcher posted:

I love Sublime Text but I've been enjoying the hell out of PyCharm for Django, LESS, and JavaScript. It's a really nice IDE. It's loaded with features that make life easier.. As far as Sass vs LESS...either one. They both seemed great, I went with LESS since I was already using some other libraries that used it.

Yeah, I've been using PyCharm while working in Django, but I didn't think it had any CSS or Javascript integration. Is that like a mod or something?

And I tried installing SASS, but "gem install sass" errors out for me. Ruby has never worked properly for me :( That's partly why I learned Python instead.

So, to recap:

-SASS/LESS
-Some Javascript thing
-Unsemantic
-Django
-PyCharm

I installed Scout since I couldn't get SASS to install. Is there a particular GUI for SASS/LESS that's recommended?

edit: Wait...how do you even use LESS? Or Unsemantic? Wow I am not too great at this :(

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 7, 2013