Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I was going to give into temptation today and buy an iPad air because everyone was so enthusiastic about it. I went to have a look in store and now I'm 100% certain I'll get a mini retina.

Yes it is incredibly light and smaller than the previous full sized iPads, but it's still big. The thing that put me off the previous mini was the old hardware and screen and so, assuming I can actually get my hands on one, the retina mini is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Why did they ruin the smart covers?! I'm really way more bummed than I should be about this. I've had the smart cover since the iPad 2 came out and I goddamned loved folding it in half and using it as a grip. With the iPad Air I constantly feel like it's going to slip out of my hands. I'm seriously half tempted to return the iPad and go back to my 3, but my girlfriend would kill me as I already gave it to her. The "smart case" is just as bad as the smart case for the iPad 2/3/4, just now in leather. I used mine for all of 5 minutes and hated it so it's getting returned today. Guess I'm going to deal with the 3-panel smart cover and just hate life. Maybe I'll get use to it eventually? I just hate the idea of holding onto the felt constantly.

I feel like such a baby complaining about this stuff, but it's seriously weird after being so use to the old cover. It was perfect!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ddogflex posted:

Why did they ruin the smart covers?! I'm really way more bummed than I should be about this. I've had the smart cover since the iPad 2 came out and I goddamned loved folding it in half and using it as a grip. With the iPad Air I constantly feel like it's going to slip out of my hands. I'm seriously half tempted to return the iPad and go back to my 3, but my girlfriend would kill me as I already gave it to her. The "smart case" is just as bad as the smart case for the iPad 2/3/4, just now in leather. I used mine for all of 5 minutes and hated it so it's getting returned today. Guess I'm going to deal with the 3-panel smart cover and just hate life. Maybe I'll get use to it eventually? I just hate the idea of holding onto the felt constantly.

I feel like such a baby complaining about this stuff, but it's seriously weird after being so use to the old cover. It was perfect!
I've mentioned it before in this thread, but I just take the smart cover off now when I'm using the device (unless I need to use the stand) and hook it back on when I'm done. The accordion style grip where you fold it a bunch of times just wasn't comfortable either.

I'm okay with this because the Air feels like a giant iPod Touch which I use without a case anyway. The lighter weight and smoother corners really makes a difference compared to the iPad 3.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Nuntius posted:

I was going to give into temptation today and buy an iPad air because everyone was so enthusiastic about it. I went to have a look in store and now I'm 100% certain I'll get a mini retina.

Yes it is incredibly light and smaller than the previous full sized iPads, but it's still big. The thing that put me off the previous mini was the old hardware and screen and so, assuming I can actually get my hands on one, the retina mini is perfect.

You made the right call, I think. I got an Air for work, but only because my boss insisted on me upgrading ASAP; otherwise I was more than content waiting for the Retina Mini. The Mini is still easier to hold one-handed (if only slightly, now) and more portable when you're traveling. And hey, it's $100 cheaper to boot.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
I know that the iPad Air's LTE radio is unlocked in the US. I want to try that sweet sweet T-Mobile deal of free 200mb of data a month but I'm curious how that works if I buy an AT&T iPad. Can I still get a hold of a T-Mobile SIM, put it in the device, and then sign up on the on-device signup form or is it something more complicated?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Bought my wife a 32GB Air today. I have a free (16gb) coming from a training I will be taking in December, but I feel the 16GB model is just too small to cover us for the next two years.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 4, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My local public library offers free Zinio downloads of tons of magazines for free with a library card. It was really tough to read them on a Mini, but these things are incredible in retina.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

CoasterMaster posted:

I know that the iPad Air's LTE radio is unlocked in the US. I want to try that sweet sweet T-Mobile deal of free 200mb of data a month but I'm curious how that works if I buy an AT&T iPad. Can I still get a hold of a T-Mobile SIM, put it in the device, and then sign up on the on-device signup form or is it something more complicated?

That's how it should work, yes. You'll save time and money getting a T-Mobile iPad from the get-go - you can always pop an AT&T SIM in later, since Apple's selling the same hardware for every carrier now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CoasterMaster posted:

If you're not buying from T-Mobile, buy a Verizon model, as it gives you access to Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. AT&T and T-Mobile models will *probably* only give you access to those two carriers.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Anyone found that apps on their air seem to crash/not work? It's mostly games and stuff, but the big issue is safari crashing whenever I try to open a new tab.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

If you're not buying from T-Mobile, buy a Verizon model, as it gives you access to Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. AT&T and T-Mobile models will *probably* only give you access to those two carriers.

Good point, actually. It is the same hardware, but since Verizon is CDMA-based, you you can't just pop in a SIM for them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

Good point, actually. It is the same hardware, but since Verizon is CDMA-based, you you can't just pop in a SIM for them.
Technically you should be able to access their LTE network by law (not the CDMA network, but the coverage is near identical at this point), but Verizon hasn't sorted it out yet, so I would rather just get the one that is guaranteed to work, and they all cost the exact same amount so, it's not a big deal.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

Seems to work. You can only have one installed at a time, and I had to roll back the clock for installation, but after it was done the clock didn't matter.

http://emulatorsforios2.weebly.com/emulator-downloads.html

Works great, but how is this even possible? Seems like a serious security flaw.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
( non-jailbreak emulator chatI put Super Punch Out on it and its got hosed up orientations and no on-screen buttons. Very odd.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Interesting, I've tried this on two iPads running iOS 7 and it happens on both - I can consistently crash the Settings app (getting dumped back to the home screen): Go to the Settings app, tap Wallpapers & Brightness in the left column. Once that section is showing, tap "Wallpapers & Brightness" in the left column again.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Bought a 16GB iPad Air on release, and got a low storage warning within the first 24 hours. Exchanged it today for a 32GB Air, but it looks like I got one with a screen issue. When held in portrait, the left side of the screen is yellow-green, while the right side is pink-blue. Do you guys think there's any chance this will go away over time? I know people have had screen problems with iPhones in the past that have resolved themselves over time. I try not to be one of those crazy my-product-has-to-be-100%-perfect people, but the screen weirdness is pretty obvious, especially on web pages with white backgrounds.

Besides that, this is awesome. I had a 3rd gen iPad previously, and the Air is way faster. In my opinion it would be 2013's perfect tablet if it had 2GB of RAM and Touch id, and if it started at 32GB for $500. Even without all of that, it rules.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

grahm posted:

if it had 2GB of RAM and Touch id, and if it started at 32GB for $500. Even without all of that, it rules.

That (minus price of course) will be next year's iPad Air.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

illcendiary posted:

That (minus price of course) will be next year's iPad Air.

You're already making me feel bad about my first ipad. :(

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Feenix posted:

( non-jailbreak emulator chatI put Super Punch Out on it and its got hosed up orientations and no on-screen buttons. Very odd.

Which emulator? Use SiOS if you're not. It's more up to date than SNES4iOS.

I played Super Metroid for a bit and while it runs the game flawlessly, using virtual buttons is a really sub-par experience. Games ported directly to iOS that I've found very playable (GTA 3 and Vice City, for example) change the controls just enough to make for a better experience. I suppose if these emulators support the coming iOS game controllers, the games would be much more playable.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

grahm posted:

Bought a 16GB iPad Air on release, and got a low storage warning within the first 24 hours. Exchanged it today for a 32GB Air, but it looks like I got one with a screen issue. When held in portrait, the left side of the screen is yellow-green, while the right side is pink-blue. Do you guys think there's any chance this will go away over time? I know people have had screen problems with iPhones in the past that have resolved themselves over time. I try not to be one of those crazy my-product-has-to-be-100%-perfect people, but the screen weirdness is pretty obvious, especially on web pages with white backgrounds.
I was wondering about this, too. When I went to check them out in-store all three display models had very obvious tinting. It seems as if this would be something people would be all over, especially given how many are deriding the lack of RAM, but it seems a real non-issue. Does it only affect some models, or will it go away in time?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Residency Evil posted:

Just sell it next year in late September. You'll be out about $100 and have the newest iPad. Just pretend you're leasing the latest and greatest for $8 a month.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Residency Evil posted:

Don't feel too bad you'll be able to sell it for $100 less than you paid and buy the Air 2. It's not like a Hyundai or Android tablet that loses 60% of its value when you take it home.

dotMyth
Oct 23, 2013
Looking for something like this to complement my Smart Cover

http://www.moshimonde.com/product/iglaze-xt-for-ipad-3rd-gen.aspx

I want to add as little bulk as possible, and I already bought a Smart Cover (I was too excited...). Have any of you seen something similar to this for the Air?

Edit: More Examples

http://www.case-mate.com/The-new-iPad-Cases-iPad-3/Case-Mate-The-new-iPad-Smart-Cover-Compatible-Barely-There-Case.asp

http://www.iskin.com/newipad/solosmart/

http://www.amazon.com/KAYSCASE-Solution-Compatible-Generation-Smoked/dp/B00EUUTW32

"SmartShell" Line
http://www.speckproducts.com/ipad-case/ipad-air-mini-retina-cases

http://www.tunewear.com/en/ipad-5th-generation/261-eggshell-for-ipad-5rd-generation-fits-smart-cover.html

dotMyth fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 5, 2013

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
I was looking for something similar and ordered this today:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FN58EXW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not a hard cover, but I prefer the soft covers because they don't rub against the corners of the iPad. My 2 got a little messed up a couple of years ago from a snap on hard case.

My wife has a soft, iBlason case on her Mini and it works great (if you don't mind the branding in the back). I just hope HyperShop comes out with an Air back case because their stuff is great and cheap.

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 5, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Something else I just noticed about the air -- the speaker is loud as hell. On our pads 1, 2, and 3 without using headphones I'd max the volume and cup my hand to project the sound forward. With the air 75% loudness is plenty loud without hand-cupping.

It's just too loud at 100%.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone post about the Target trade in deal?

targettradeinprogram.com posted:

Between November 3rd thru 9th visit your local Target Mobility store and trade in any iPad for at least $200 *. To take advantage of this offer simply follow the below steps:

Step 1: Find your local Target mobility store by clicking here and selecting "Target Mobile" under store services.
Step 2: Your device will be appraised in-store at the mobility kiosk.
Step 3: $200 minimum promotional credit will be issued on a Target Trade-In Gift Card and is redeemable in any Target store.

* Visit TargetTradeInProgram.com for store hours, locations and to see if your iPad qualifies for the offer. To be eligible for trade in, the iPad must power on and screen must not be scratched.
If you have an old rear end original iPad I think it's a good deal...or if you have a newer one and you're too lazy to sell another one through other means even if you could get more. I did it today with my brother's old original (with two dents on the back!) and my 3rd gen, took a few minutes and got a $400 gift card. Don't need to bring anything other than the iPads themselves, the guy just checked the buttons and model number or something in Settings. I didn't try myself but supposedly you can use the Target gift card to buy the regular credit card ones.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

randyest posted:

Something else I just noticed about the air -- the speaker is loud as hell. On our pads 1, 2, and 3 without using headphones I'd max the volume and cup my hand to project the sound forward. With the air 75% loudness is plenty loud without hand-cupping.

It's just too loud at 100%.
The volume really is something I didn't expect. I kinda wish the speakers had been moved somewhere else, though, since if I'm holding it landscape I find my hand covering the speakers a bit - especially if I'm playing a game on it. Although I suppose I really should just stick some headphones in instead.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hypersleep posted:

Which emulator? Use SiOS if you're not. It's more up to date than SNES4iOS.

I played Super Metroid for a bit and while it runs the game flawlessly, using virtual buttons is a really sub-par experience. Games ported directly to iOS that I've found very playable (GTA 3 and Vice City, for example) change the controls just enough to make for a better experience. I suppose if these emulators support the coming iOS game controllers, the games would be much more playable.

I tried this out on my iPhone 5 last night and shut it down with disgust almost immediately. I found it impossible to play with my fingers over the screen. I see that there's a bluetooth function so I could use it with my iPad but I decided just to drop on a used PSP for emulators and not loving around anymore.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Wow the refurb prices for the iPad 4 are really good.

While the air looks awesome, I really wanted 32 gb of space and lte, so I figured I'd save a few bucks and get the 4. Wasn't expecting it to be 560 for an apple refurb. The prices for used ones are even better, so I ordered one of those from Amazon instead. I'm more than happy to trade a half pound of extra weight for saving over 200 bucks, especially since this'll be my first iPad.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Played just over 5hrs of BF4 last night and used the iPad air as an extended mini map using Battlelog which meant I switched the display to Never turn off.

Went from 86% charge to around 5% in those 5hrs which is pretty decent.

I usually tether my tablet to my phone when I wanna surf in comfort so are there any issues with tethering to android phones with an iPad?

Also, I don't regret buying just the 16gb version. Everything I do is about streaming and I don't play many games etc.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'll be updating the OP this afternoon with a list of accessories that I've found, and details about the Air.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone have any experience with this clock radio (or any iHome stuff)? My current one is 30-pin and I'm not going to have an iPad sitting on top of an adapter in it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

In my experience Moshi things look great but fall apart. I've had great luck with the Poetic ThinShell, but I am seriously considering the Speck SmartShell due to the magnets on the back. I may just leave it without a back cover though, this iPad doesn't have the grip problems that the old ones did, IMO.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

WastedJoker posted:

I usually tether my tablet to my phone when I wanna surf in comfort so are there any issues with tethering to android phones with an iPad?

There shouldn't be - I tether my old Bionic to my iPad all the time without any issues aside from battery drain trying to keep using a weak LTE signal (having a >1A charger handy will help offset this).

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I know its been iterated a million times but goddamn this loving iPad Air is light as balls.

Also T-Mobile is no longer doing $1 nanosim cards shipped for free. And they're still out of stock. I don't even mind paying the $10 as long as I can get that drat sim card.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For what it's worth... I was told by the company that the Switcheasy Canvas, Cara and Pelle were going on sale this week.

I'll be getting a Canvas.
[edit] would the iCade 8-Bitty presumably work with SIOS Emulator on a stock iPad?

[edi2] Holy poo poo it does!

Aside from some hosed up button layouts. (I mean REALLY hosed up!) It works great! Holy poo poo this is the best!

Bring on the better controllers!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 5, 2013

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The SwitchEasy Canvas was my go-to case for the iPad 3 until a Snugg landed in my lap, and even then I would switch back occasionally. I'm actually using the Canvas now as a makeshift stand until I get an Air case.

dotMyth
Oct 23, 2013

chupacabraTERROR posted:

In my experience Moshi things look great but fall apart. I've had great luck with the Poetic ThinShell, but I am seriously considering the Speck SmartShell due to the magnets on the back. I may just leave it without a back cover though, this iPad doesn't have the grip problems that the old ones did, IMO.

Just saw the magnet feature! I found a small scratch on the back of my iPad, so I went full berserk looking for anything to protect it. I bought the i-Blason SoftGel today, but I'll definitely be picking up the SmartShell when it comes out.

Now if we could just get a release date...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/05/rumor-foxconn-testing-production-of-larger-screened-ipad-for-2014-release

quote:

Rumor: Foxconn testing production of larger-screened iPad for 2014 release
By Shane Cole

Longtime Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is currently testing a new, large-format iPad with the purportedly king-sized device slated to debut next spring, according to a new report out of Mainland China.

Many believe the new iPad Air could be joined by a larger-screened sibling as soon as next year.

The tablet would sport a display diagonal of either 11.4 or 12.9 inches and is in an advanced stage of testing, according to Chinese tablet news site PadNews. The site says Apple could be targeting a March 2014 unveiling.

Rumors and predictions have been swirling around what many journalists have dubbed the "iPad maxi" for months. In July, the normally reliable Wall Street Journal got into the game, saying that sources indicated to the paper that Apple has prototyped a new category of iPad with a display "slightly less than 13 inches diagonally."

The Journal's report was followed in September by word from a different Chinese publication that Apple had a 12-inch iPad in the works with another old collaborator, Quanta Computer. Among others, Quanta has had a hand in manufacturing iPods and recent MacBook Air units for Apple.

Analysts also expect to see a scaled-up iPad. Following the unveiling of the 64-bit A7 chip in the iPhone 5s, Barclays Capital's Ben A. Reitzes made the case for a 13-inch iPad with a convertible clamshell form factor, saying that considerations for such a device may have spurred the seemingly early shift to a 64-bit architecture for iOS devices.
Ugh, hope not. Of course, for selfish reasons since I picked up an Air, but also because I can't see a 12-inch iPad being that marketable at a high price.

I dunno, maybe there would be a market for an ultra-premium iPad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
We got the iPad Air so, of course, the big one will be the iPad Pro!