Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Caved and bought the Wind Waker edition Wii U over the weekend- this game should be in my mailbox when I get home. Don't you let me down Platinum, this better be the Viewtiful Sentai Hyperforce action game it looks like :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I just rented this game. I've never liked a game so much I'm so bad at. I have a few questions though (I did watch some of the systems analysis videos)

When you successfully get an enemy able to be knocked up after a climb attack (as signified by the ping sound), are they stunned?

When doing the wonder liner to recruit people.. what's the key? I'm a little bit confused, as while I get it sometimes, I'm not sure exactly what it is. Is it a circle around the people you're trying to recruit? A line?

Thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sleepness posted:

I just rented this game. I've never liked a game so much I'm so bad at. I have a few questions though (I did watch some of the systems analysis videos)

When you successfully get an enemy able to be knocked up after a climb attack (as signified by the ping sound), are they stunned?

When doing the wonder liner to recruit people.. what's the key? I'm a little bit confused, as while I get it sometimes, I'm not sure exactly what it is. Is it a circle around the people you're trying to recruit? A line?

Thanks!

Climb attack enough and an enemy is stunned, yes.

They just need to be circled, but it's super-lenient. Anything remotely near them and even slightly curved will recruit.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Climb attack enough and an enemy is stunned, yes.

Note, though, that calling your team back with Y will immediately cancel any stuns caused by climb attacks, so you need to be a bit careful with dashing.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
That's only true if you hold Y. If you just tap it, you'll dash and you climb attacks/extra unit morphs won't be interrupted.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
I know, but I've been screwed over by it a few times anyway because I was focusing on avoiding attacks and held the button down out of habit. :v:

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I picked up this game with the Target 3 for 2 deal a few weeks ago. I expected superhero Pikmin (like so many before me), but man oh man was I ever wrong. It's close in very few ways, but in every other way... completely different.

I thought the levels could be a bit long, mostly because boss fights tend to be the end of the level and sometimes it was really only the beginning. But after about five hours of just powering through it, mostly enjoying the game... something changed. It became amazing. The bosses, the characters (except Green. I hated Green), the Wonderful Ones that you could find (Wonder Beer. Wonder Toilet. So amazing!), and surprisingly, the plot.

I honestly did NOT expect this game to go as deep as it did. I'm a serious sucker for games where there are no bad guys who "just want power." Everyone has their legitimate motivations for doing what they're doing. The emotion in the game wasn't crazy deep, but the fact that it was there threw me off to the point where I felt real emotions.

But for me, the absolute, hands-down best part was when you started boxing a giant robot just like in Punch Out!! And then later on... You do it again!

What a Wonderful game.

Something else I noticed: Throughout the game your characters say "Roger!" in response to a command from Wonder Red. Throughout the game, in all the various twists and turns that happen to the team/individuals, their teamwork improves. As this happens, the way they said "Roger!" changes to become more unified and team-like, instead of just a group of people saying the same word at once. It made me very happy when I figured that out.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got the block to just guard, but it's absolutely not working. Is there a secret to it? I've had plenty of success with it in Bayonetta, but here I'm just getting pounded.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
How the hell do I get the Unite Guru bottlecap? It's giving me a weird amount of trouble. What I'm trying to do is fight the Diedough-Goo at the start of 001-B and cycling through all of my Unite Morphs (hand, sword, gun, etc), and then hit him with Unite Spring/Spike Ball/Rocket/Tombstone/Glider. I'm pretty sure I'm getting in more than ten Unite Morphs but it just isn't taking for me. Am I misunderstanding something?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Safety Scissors posted:

I got the block to just guard, but it's absolutely not working. Is there a secret to it? I've had plenty of success with it in Bayonetta, but here I'm just getting pounded.

Might be a timing thing, it *might* be slightly different than in Bayo. However, I seem to be able to do it by just tapping in the direction of the incoming attack just as it occurs, no special tricks to it.

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013

Maple Leaf posted:

How the hell do I get the Unite Guru bottlecap? It's giving me a weird amount of trouble. What I'm trying to do is fight the Diedough-Goo at the start of 001-B and cycling through all of my Unite Morphs (hand, sword, gun, etc)... Am I misunderstanding something?

Only weapon morphs count.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

in the miso soup posted:

Only weapon morphs count.

No, this isn't necessarily true. If you notice the combo counter, each of the different utility morphs (ball, tombstone, rocket) count as a different weapon. I know that dodge drill and spike ball count as Unite Drill, and Tombstone counts as Unite Hammer. The earliest you can get Unite guru is after you unlock two weapon morphs. I got mine after unlocking Chewgi and Wonder-Goggles

Easiest enemy to get guru on is the giant crab, since he has such high defense and giant tells.

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
Oh really? I didn't know that. What does Unite Rocket count as?

Edit: Unite fist.

in the miso soup fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 12, 2013

Damone
May 3, 2009
Additionally Platinum Forever counts as bomb and Wonderful Forever counts as goggles.

Actually, Platinum forever counts as Imorta's arrow after playing for a bit. Still two extra morphs without actually having them.

Damone fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 17, 2013

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
New Saur video! System breakdown ep. 3

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Oh yeah, Saur is great.

Been taking a break from the game for a bit over a week after finishing Hard to catch up with other games. My next objective should be 101% Hard.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A patch just went live in Japan; it fixes issues with Figure 24 and makes some other unspecified changes. Hopefully the NA/PAL release will come with a more comprehensive changelog.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm going back trying to get better scores and poo poo, and one thing that's stopping me is the tiger-men enemies. How do you beat those effectively? They always take ages for me to beat.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm going back trying to get better scores and poo poo, and one thing that's stopping me is the tiger-men enemies. How do you beat those effectively? They always take ages for me to beat.

Unite bomb. Toss a full sized one and you've got all day to turn into a full sized unite hand and punch them stupid.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
It's been a while since I've played but I seem to remember Unite Charge slowing them down quite a bit.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

Unite bomb. Toss a full sized one and you've got all day to turn into a full sized unite hand and punch them stupid.

Thanks. poo poo I love these games, can't wait for Bayonetta 2, probably should get the 360 version of 1 sometime soon. That or go back and play DMC1 and 3 and Godhand now that I can actually play these games instead of just stumbling through them getting Cs and Ds like I did in highschool. Is the DMC HD collection any good?

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
The HD Collection is just fine as long as you steer clear of DMC2.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Thanks. poo poo I love these games, can't wait for Bayonetta 2, probably should get the 360 version of 1 sometime soon. That or go back and play DMC1 and 3 and Godhand now that I can actually play these games instead of just stumbling through them getting Cs and Ds like I did in highschool. Is the DMC HD collection any good?
If you've never played the 360 version of Bayo, you really should get on that! It's glorious.

For some reason, I've never really been able to get into the DMC series. I was playing DMC4 back in the day, got bored of the backtracking and gave up. Later on, I played Bayonetta, and that game floored me by how much more enjoyable it was combat-wise. I tried getting into 1/3 (even on turbo mode to make it feel like sluggish!) early this year, but something is keeping me from enjoying them. I like (adore) a lot of other action games like NG Black/2, God Hand, Viewtiful, Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising, so it just feels weird that I can't keep into one of the milestone series in the genre. Maybe Bayonetta spoiled me or something, since it feels a bit too much like DMC but just better (just my opinion!), whereas the other games have their own thing going on as well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

A Sometimes Food posted:

If you haven't played Bayonetta 1 please do

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Revengeance is my favorite game of the year but I'm not a big fan of Bayonetta. Mostly because I'm terrible at it. You guys think I'd like this game?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Revengeance is my favorite game of the year but I'm not a big fan of Bayonetta. Mostly because I'm terrible at it. You guys think I'd like this game?

Man this game is fun but it takes a while to get used to it. I love games where learning how to play them is kinda at their core, so YMMV. Revengeance was definitely easier to jump into. (But I kinda also think it was a more awesome game... I don't know what I'm saying.)

Wonderful 101 is... weird. But in a good way. Play the demo.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've noticed I take to long to kill the giant spiky robots. The problem is the only way I've been able to find of dealing with them is let them attack, then stagger, then pull. I can never get 2 staggers in a row though. I always have to wait for them to attack again before I can stagger them again. Is there a faster way of killing them?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Generally, get good at evading, and draw the whip large and fast. Doing it small takes more hits to pull armour off, iirc.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Safety Scissors posted:

I've noticed I take to long to kill the giant spiky robots. The problem is the only way I've been able to find of dealing with them is let them attack, then stagger, then pull. I can never get 2 staggers in a row though. I always have to wait for them to attack again before I can stagger them again. Is there a faster way of killing them?

The bigger your whip is the more armor segments you pull off, also if you wait for them to do their sonic the hedgehog spin move and hit them out of it it's an instant stagger.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Safety Scissors posted:

Whip them while they're charging up their spin attacks, it staggers them after like two hits.

EDIT: Huh, somehow missed the entire second half of the above post.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Is there a master list anywhere as to what differentiates all the secondary heroes? I've noticed that the big ones can run with their weapons out; are there any similar abilities for the others? Do their individual stats matter at all?

Damone
May 3, 2009

bravesword posted:

Is there a master list anywhere as to what differentiates all the secondary heroes? I've noticed that the big ones can run with their weapons out; are there any similar abilities for the others? Do their individual stats matter at all?

Wonder Judo is good example of that. He can run fairly quickly with a unite Hand up. Wonder red moves at an average rate and girls seem to move slower with unite morphs up in general.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to playing the game all the way through- I keep getting pathetic scores, but I don't feel like I'm really floundering any more.

People have said it before, but in addition to the obvious positive qualities the game actually also has pretty drat good writing- did Platinum write this in English first or something or is it just a masterful localization job? I seem to remember English being the "first" language in some of their other games.

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
I got this last week and have been having a blast with it. Gameplay, art style and storytelling are all top notch and I just feel crazy excited to find out what the next level brings. In a better world, this would've be a Wii U pack-in and killer app.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the Vorkken fights past level 2? I just don't really know how to react to most of his attacks so it usually ends with me getting knocked out a bunch of times as I grind him down slowly.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Lurkcopter posted:

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the Vorkken fights past level 2? I just don't really know how to react to most of his attacks so it usually ends with me getting knocked out a bunch of times as I grind him down slowly.

The only attacks of his you can Unite Guts are the hand and hammer, so dodge everything else. If he uses Guts on one of your attacks, he'll always use a huge cyclone attack the second he comes out of it so get the hell out of the way.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yeah, the Vorkken fights are very much a matter of mastering evasion and counter attack. Many of his attacks will end up taking units away from him, so draw up so sizable unite morphs and you should be able to handle most things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Finally got around to playing the game all the way through- I keep getting pathetic scores, but I don't feel like I'm really floundering any more.

People have said it before, but in addition to the obvious positive qualities the game actually also has pretty drat good writing- did Platinum write this in English first or something or is it just a masterful localization job? I seem to remember English being the "first" language in some of their other games.

Almost certainly not written in English first. There's a lot of weird Japanese in-jokes, especially in the monster names, which only really make sense for a Japanese-first script. It's just a good localization.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ImpAtom posted:

Almost certainly not written in English first. There's a lot of weird Japanese in-jokes, especially in the monster names, which only really make sense for a Japanese-first script. It's just a good localization.

I had the luck to be at the PAX panel for Wonderful 101, Kamiya discussed how much effort they put into localizing it. Wonder-White, for example, is not some random dude trying to do a Japanese accent, the voice actor is actually Japanese himself. Kamiya asked him to tone down his natural accent because it was too good, leading to the "cheesy asian accent".

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Dieting Hippo posted:

I had the luck to be at the PAX panel for Wonderful 101, Kamiya discussed how much effort they put into localizing it. Wonder-White, for example, is not some random dude trying to do a Japanese accent, the voice actor is actually Japanese himself.

Uh, no he isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the VA cast it becomes apparent that the talent they pulled in was a big part of how good the writing seems.

I wonder what Platinum's budget for this one was- I know it was a bit of a rush job (reminds me of Revengeance). Suppose Nintendo gave 'em some decent money to put this together.

• Locked thread