Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

since this is de facto TV thread, has anyone been watching masters of sex? only watched 2 episodes but it's really really good so far.

yeah it's p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Dr. Mint posted:

holy poo poo voyager is so loving boring im on episode 3 and watching each episode feels like the biggest chore ever and why wont janeway shut up ahuregrag

I've been going through after a ds9 and half a tng run and it's pretty good for scoffing at and grumbling about while doing something else

I think tonight's episode run was another attempt to get back that torez screws up by not thinking and a bland mystery that involved a secret cardassian that was revealed with the lamest result

'oh we might have to fight the kazons!' *antagonist gets away* 'nope let's just chat about it instead while we all realize how terrible we are at spotting spies all the time'

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Virion posted:

I've been going through after a ds9 and half a tng run and it's pretty good for scoffing at and grumbling about while doing something else

I think tonight's episode run was another attempt to get back that torez screws up by not thinking and a bland mystery that involved a secret cardassian that was revealed with the lamest result

'oh we might have to fight the kazons!' *antagonist gets away* 'nope let's just chat about it instead while we all realize how terrible we are at spotting spies all the time'

yeah basically this exactly

it's still trek kinda it's just all wasted potential and bad characters

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

yeah basically this exactly

it's still trek kinda it's just all wasted potential and bad characters

mlyp

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Having a lot of trouble getting through Snow Crash. Would have been the coolest poo poo if I read it any time in the 90s, now it just feels so quaint. I still love the idea of high stakes pizza delivery though. Also I love pizza.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Having a lot of trouble getting through Snow Crash. Would have been the coolest poo poo if I read it any time in the 90s, now it just feels so quaint. I still love the idea of high stakes pizza delivery though. Also I love pizza.

it may help if you read it as a parody of cyberpunk; 'hiro protagonist' indeed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it is a bald faced parody of cyberpunk, with a few neat ideas jammed into it here and there

when you're done read diamond age too.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shaggar posted:

sleepy hollow is still pretty good

shaggar is wrong

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

it may help if you read it as a parody of cyberpunk; 'hiro protagonist' indeed

Yeah, I mean I completely respect it for that, its just that there are parts I'm reading where its obvious this would be 'the cool part' where he is basically describing Second Life or MMO's or whatever to a early 90s audience and I feel bad because its not having the intended effect.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

infernal machines posted:

when you're done read diamond age too.

quote:

Bud, from Neal Stephenson’s The Diamond Age, is a classic cyberpunk protagonist. An aggressive, black-leather clad criminal loner with cybernetic body augmentations (including a neurolinked skull gun), Bud makes his living first as a drug runner’s decoy, then by terrorizing tourists for money.

All of which goes a long way toward explaining why his rear end gets wasted on page 37 of a 455 page novel

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i can get down w. this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
snow crash is good

the diamond age is even better

hating on neal stephenson is a 1990s slashdot cliche. he's a huge seller because he rules. sorry if your irc knitting circle doesn't like it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
anathem is also really good. at least the first thousand pages. the ending is, like so many stephenson novels, unsatisfying

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I started watching Firefly to see what all the internet fuss was about; it's fairly inoffensive stuff but unless it ratchets up the fun I don't see the big deal? :o:

Also, from wiki

quote:

In the same Special, show writer Tim Minear explained Inara's mysterious syringe, saying that it contained a drug that would cause the death of her rapists in case she were to be raped. Minear also said that if the show hadn't been cancelled, a future episode might have involved Inara being abducted and raped by numerous Reavers, all of whom are eventually found dead (due to the effects of the drug) by Mal
ah tv writers, never change. I'm kinda glad it was cancelled now.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
snow crash is likely to be my next audible buy

ringworld is actually p good so far but its so awkward when sci fi writers have sex in their books. future sci fi writers: unless you're william gibson, just don't.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I started watching Firefly to see what all the internet fuss was about; it's fairly inoffensive stuff but unless it ratchets up the fun I don't see the big deal? :o:

Also, from wiki

joss whedon is A Feminist

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also, from wiki

wow that sucks

it gets a lot more fun but it's still just okay

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it was short n coal imvho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
iirc diamond age ends with "TO BE CONTINUED??????!!!"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

it was the only accessible and fun scifi on at the time but in a serious world

i mean its a romantic western set in space. everyone loves to shoot and act heroic and its ok to kill these bad guys because theyre bad because they want to kill you for killing them and will inexplicably kill every single person in the universe if you make them mad so because they kill more theyre the bad guys and the main characters are the good guys

also that syringe is a terrible idea that probably wouldnt have actually made it. protip 99.99% of all writers put out absolute garbage that has to be reigned in and refined by a committee who hopefully can throw something that doesnt suck against a wall more often than not

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
the greatest thing about firefly is nathan fillion

nathan fillion owns

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ol qwerty bastard posted:

nathan fillion owns

hes a character actor at best but he does that one character well

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
you forgot kaylee cameltoe

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

pls be respectful to my waifu

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

nathan fillion owns

yeah I like Castle but mainly bcos I want 2 marry Beckett :o:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i used to follow jewel staite on twitter and one day she posted about being in yoga class and apparently one of her tits came out of her shirt and there were hundreds of gross nerds replying to it with "PICS PLZ!!!" etc

also i looked at adam baldwin's twitter feed once and he's an insane right-winger. so basically he's his character in real life.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive had a crush on jewel staite since i was a lil kid watching space cases and guess what i still do

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

also i looked at adam baldwin's twitter feed once and he's an insane right-winger. so basically he's his character in real life.

didnt he get into a twitter argument with the PR twitter for a fictional character from some show

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
thanks for posting Her Name w.out a trigger warning now my heart is racing and my palms r sweating

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

also never follow a twitter of a celebrity but especially a female celebrity because the @'s are horrible and depressing

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

didnt he get into a twitter argument with the PR twitter for a fictional character from some show

lol that's entirely possible

but yeah basically every tweet was either global warming denial or ranting about gun control

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

i used to follow jewel staite on twitter and one day she posted about being in yoga class and apparently one of her tits came out of her shirt and there were hundreds of gross nerds replying to it with "PICS PLZ!!!" etc

i randomly met her at dragoncon years ago and congratulated her on apparently her recent engagement due to the bigass rock on her finger

eavesdropping nerds outed themselves nearby w/ disappointed sounds

adam baldwin likes to drink w/ his fans at cons btw

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

wow that sucks

it gets a lot more fun but it's still just okay

ok I shall continue watching.

Is the Firefly movie required watching to wrap plots etc up?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah it wraps up the plot nicely and kills some people

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

idk but its pretty good anyways

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

it expounds on one of the better ideas in the show, the reavers

it expounds on one of the really stupid ideas in the show, an invincible supersoldier girl

it wraps on one of the characters real good so if it ever comes back welp

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

anathem is also really good. at least the first thousand pages. the ending is, like so many stephenson novels, unsatisfying

his endings are underrrated. the political thrillers that actually try to have proper endings just suck at it, at least in his sf it's deliberate

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NoneMoreNegative posted:

it wraps things up but it's bad

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah it wraps up the plot nicely and kills some people

heh you could say it wraps up the pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002