Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I don't think I've ever painted something the color it is in plastic or what it lists in the instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, the recommended colors for a lot of kits (especially outside the MG line) tend towards the cartoonish and MS are not real subjects anyway (apart from the 1/1 Gundam) so there's plenty of leeway there, I think.

The Gunze color numbers are still useful as a reference, but they're very hard to find at retail shops in the US anymore, and viewing color charts online is not really going to tell you what the paint itself actually looks like. That goes for ANY brand, of course, and the continually shrinking number of brick-and-mortar hobby shops makes it difficult to choose the stuff you really want if you're not already sure what it is.

The protip is to get really good at mixing from various easily quantified primary and secondary colors, but that is a whole art unto itself.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

TARDISman posted:

Ok so I just got the Astray Blue Frame Master Grade and I gotta ask, does anyone else with it have troubles keeping the arms in the sockets? Mine's arms keep popping off at the shoulder connection.

Few days late, but I bought it a while ago. And it's been a huge issue for me to really like the model. I've even stopped displaying it on my shelf because a little bit of shaking and the arm falls right off. Not to mention all it's weapons are pretty heavy, so that doesn't help at all. I loved the look of it, but had to take it down after reposing it again and again.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Get brave people. Soul of Chogokin GaoGaiGar:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 1, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

God drat I really wish they would space out all this GGG stuff, I've decided to buy Genesic and now they release this thing. I've never bought a SOC before, but my undying love for Gaogaigar may force me to buy it.

Although now I'm paranoid that they're going to release a SOC genesic gaogaigar, so maybe I should hold off on the SRC :ohdear:.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I still fully intend to buy Genesic GGG, since I need something to go with Choryujin and Big Volfogg. I'm waiting to see how articulated/well proportioned SoC GGG will be. I'm optimistic but a fully transforming figure also makes me slightly wary.

So, i'm headed back to work tomorrow and won't be back home until March/April, so after a year of procrastinating, here's my final project of 2013:

The EW Wing Boys are complete. PG Strike and MG Proto Zero, see you in 2014. :)

Caros
May 14, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

I still fully intend to buy Genesic GGG, since I need something to go with Choryujin and Big Volfogg. I'm waiting to see how articulated/well proportioned SoC GGG will be. I'm optimistic but a fully transforming figure also makes me slightly wary.

So, i'm headed back to work tomorrow and won't be back home until March/April, so after a year of procrastinating, here's my final project of 2013:

That is a really nice display. Now I know what I'm going to do when I finally get around to my GAT series Gundams.

Except they'll all be trying to murder the strike.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

That looks great and well posed. Very cartoony looking in a good way. Is that just 5 action bases?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

That looks great and well posed. Very cartoony looking in a good way. Is that just 5 action bases?

Yes it is. I aimed to make them all match their boxart, which isn't perfect but considering the boxart flat out cheats i'm satisfied with the results.

And for anyone wondering, yes, I superglued Wing's buster rifle in his hand.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ok I guess the Berkut didn't get pushed back after all. It looks pretty sweet, despite the not-unexpected clamshell construction.

Apparently, you can use clear blue parts instead of clear red parts for the head and chest! That's neat.

muike fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I love that they all have dramatic poses, except for the Heavyarms. All it needs is a stable position to launch missi - Hey, some of the shoulder launchers are shut. Since when does a Heavyarms conserve munitions? :colbert:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Cool use of the AB for Sandrock's running pose, I'll have to keep that one in mind.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do you mind if I ask what your job is, Taurus? Is it just something that causes you to be really busy for months at a time or do you just regularly visit the arctic to prepare travelers for the grueling journey?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

muike posted:

Ok I guess the Berkut didn't get pushed back after all. It looks pretty sweet, despite the not-unexpected clamshell construction.

Apparently, you can use clear blue parts instead of clear red parts for the head and chest! That's neat.

What is this unit from?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Muv-Luv Total Eclipse.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

muike posted:

Muv-Luv Total Eclipse.

I thought it looked like a TSR. Just wanted to be sure.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

TaurusOxford posted:

Get brave people. Soul of Chogokin GaoGaiGar:

I literally let out a George Takei-style "oh my" when I saw that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well after taking a break at it, I've decided to finish up painting my mg unicorn kit. I hoped that taking a break from it would lessen my hatred for this kit.

It didn't work.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Monaghan posted:

Well after taking a break at it, I've decided to finish up painting my mg unicorn kit. I hoped that taking a break from it would lessen my hatred for this kit.

It didn't work.

I don't know if it's just because I didn't build it right, but my MG Unicorn is a mess. Is yours the Katoki or the OVA version? I've got the OVA one and it's wobby as all get out.

Edit: Also is the SoC GaoGaiGar up for preorder yet?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I don't know if it's just because I didn't build it right, but my MG Unicorn is a mess. Is yours the Katoki or the OVA version? I've got the OVA one and it's wobby as all get out.

OVA. I'm just a big god drat idiot and who thought "Hey I like the green pyschoframe and I paint my kits anyway, I'll just paint the red psychoframe green."

This has led me down a path of never ending frustration.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The worst part about the MG Unicorn is that it came out before Bandai realized you had to put silver stickers underneath transparent parts to get the color to pop. So even when you finish it it pisses you off because, barring ridiculously bright lighting, the psychoframe will look incredibly muted.

Pretty much the only solution is to candy coat it all, but ahahahahahahahahah painting the Unicorn.

EDIT: Also, for anyone following the GWCC, the winner for the Thailand prelims just got announced.

I recognized it as Shining right away, what have I done with my life. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 3, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all that gold made me know it was Thai immediately

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Monaghan posted:

OVA. I'm just a big god drat idiot and who thought "Hey I like the green pyschoframe and I paint my kits anyway, I'll just paint the red psychoframe green."

This has led me down a path of never ending frustration.

I think that either I hosed it up or just got a bum kit. Mine can barely stand on its own without it collapsing under itself. The transformation parts don't want to stay shut very well.

I don't know if it's preference, but I never was too hip on modifications to God and Shining. Those two are some of my favorite designs, and I'm already mortified by that god awful Build Shining.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

The worst part about the MG Unicorn is that it came out before Bandai realized you had to put silver stickers underneath transparent parts to get the color to pop. So even when you finish it it pisses you off because, barring ridiculously bright lighting, the psychoframe will look incredibly muted.

Pretty much the only solution is to candy coat it all, but ahahahahahahahahah painting the Unicorn.

EDIT: Also, for anyone following the GWCC, the winner for the Thailand prelims just got announced.

I recognized it as Shining right away, what have I done with my life. :negative:

How could you not? That hand of its is BURNING RED!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love that they all have dramatic poses, except for the Heavyarms. All it needs is a stable position to launch missi - Hey, some of the shoulder launchers are shut. Since when does a Heavyarms conserve munitions? :colbert:

I accidentally broke his right shoulder missile hatch, and the only way to fix it was to superglue it back together - which ended up shutting it closed. Don't tell anyone, ok? :ohdear:

muike posted:

Do you mind if I ask what your job is, Taurus? Is it just something that causes you to be really busy for months at a time or do you just regularly visit the arctic to prepare travelers for the grueling journey?

I work for Eagle Canada, which is a seismographic company. I prefer working in the winter months since i'm used to cold temperatures, and considering I work around Alberta-British Columbia, the cold tolerance comes in handy.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

It only got announced on Halloween. No pre-order opportunity yet as far as I know.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That sounds interesting if a bit nippy!

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is we're getting a 1/100 Turn X. The bad news is it's a Metal Build figure and not a Master Grade kit. Still, looks pretty sharp.

Speaking of Metal Build, yeah, I'm probably going to have to grab the Soul of Chogokin GaoGaiGar. I have no worries about that toy. Bandai's been doing combining diecast robots longer than most of us have been alive, and the quality of modern Chogokin cannot be overstated. They manage the balance between form and function beautifully. Only problem is I just have to start saving now because it's totally going to cost an arm and a leg (~300 USD).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The gods are capricious and cruel.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is we're getting a 1/100 Turn X. The bad news is it's a Metal Build figure and not a Master Grade kit. Still, looks pretty sharp.

Speaking of Metal Build, yeah, I'm probably going to have to grab the Soul of Chogokin GaoGaiGar. I have no worries about that toy. Bandai's been doing combining diecast robots longer than most of us have been alive, and the quality of modern Chogokin cannot be overstated. They manage the balance between form and function beautifully. Only problem is I just have to start saving now because it's totally going to cost an arm and a leg (~300 USD).

I'm either gonna get that or both of the SRoC GaoGaiGars.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

The Gunze color numbers are still useful as a reference, but they're very hard to find at retail shops in the US anymore,

What brought that on? It seemed like all of a sudden they just dried up. The local hobby chain in my area started carrying them again, but apparently they're one of the few in the US who still do.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Anyone care to guess what they'll charge for that 1/35 MFF RX-78-2, if it's ever released? If it's even as low as $350 I'd be shocked.

Midjack posted:

What brought that on? It seemed like all of a sudden they just dried up. The local hobby chain in my area started carrying them again, but apparently they're one of the few in the US who still do.

Multiple changes in EPA codes regarding what you can and can't put in paint over the last few years, which hit a lot of the imported brands hard. Tamiya was completely unavailable around me for over six months a while back.

Gunze never has had a real strong presence here, and given how long it took them to reformulate I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the places that used to carry them didn't bother to pick them up again.

I haven't checked recently but I'm not sure if Mr. Aqueous Color is findable in the US even now.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 3, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

That price tag is the only reason I haven't bought the 1/100 Metal Build Destiny and more SOC's in general. I got my God Mars for 140 and even then I was kinda on the fence. It may just be me being frugal, but it's really hard for me to justify the price tags on the hobby sometimes even though I love it as much as I do.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah so I'm getting MB Turn X. Just throw that in the pile with MG Exia RII, Gundam X, and the Build Strike, sure.

EDIT: Oh hey, it's actually 1/60th scale and part of a new line called Metal Models. Thank god for scale OCD, my wallet is safe.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 3, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
How big is that SOC GaoGaiGar? I wouldn't be surprised if he's sub 150 if he's around the size that Danguard Ace was. The really huge SOCs aren't anything I expect to really see much of anymore.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If I were to get a MG Hyaku Shiki, should I get the regular or HD color? I've had the MK. II 2.0 and Zeta 2.0 for forever and I need to complete that trinity. I've also had an RX-78 1.5 and Guncannon forever so I need to get a Guntank to finish that little trio as well. Yeah, I know, I should really get the 3.0, but I want to get some mobile suits I don't already have before I start re-doing MGs. I think I'm going after the Gouf 2.0, Gelgoog 2.0, Qubeley, Turn A and maybe the G Gundam and Master Gundam next.

Speaking of 2.0s, the ZZ badly needs a 2.0. As does the GP02A, the RX-78NT-1 Alex, Kampfer, Zaku I... actually, I just wish 0080 got more model kit love period. I want MGs of the GM Sniper II and Hygogg so bad. And the RX-77D Guncannon Mass Produced version is sweet looking, too. And we could really use a Gaza-C, Asshimar and Bawoo, too. And the Shuffle Alliance.

Basically what I think this means is I should be a 1/144 guy instead. But I just love the size and builds of MGs, man! (Plus I would have to pretty much start over if I switched grades, too.)

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The HD color Shiki has a matte gold finish whereas the regular version is glossy and reflective, so it's really down to personal taste.

Just be aware that either way it's a pretty old kit, and its construction is... idiosyncratic at best.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, I know the Shiki, Qubeley, Rick Dias and Hizack are old, but I really like Zeta and I sorta want them to go along with my newer MK II and Zeta. At least the Marasai is brand new. If they'll do a Marasai, I guess there's hope for a Gaza-C and Asshimar in the future. I mean, I think they just did the Marasai because they're going to do one in green for Unicorn down the line, but IIRC the Gaza-C was also in Unicorn so there's some hope.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Realized it's been something like a year since I built a kit. Before I place an order with HLJ, can anyone recommend somewhere to get kits in the UK? Maybe another store has sprung up since last time.

Want to get HGUC Gerbera Tetra now I know it exists from Build Fighters, Delta Gundam Kai looks like fun too. Might wait for Sengoku Astray, but I think there are a few more kits to wait for as well. Hopefully we'll get the 1/144 HG Turn X seen in the background of Build Fighters.

Edit: and how's the Byarlant?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 5, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

My local hobbytown has the MG RX-78 ver 3.0 and the new Marasai. I'm really torn. I already have an MG RX-78, the 1.5, and I only have about 10 MGs so I want to expand and not just have a fuckton of the original Gundam, but it does look really nice.

...The led kit seems to be hard to find, especially in yellow. What are your thoughts on that? If I don't buy an official Gundam LED kit, what are my options? Do you guys hate the LEDs and think I should use use the stickers or paint the eyes opaque? (I generally paint mono-eyes an opaque pink because while a red or pink sharpie does look neat it's a lot harder to see and doesn't stand out as much.)

Also... and I know this is a loaded question but... if I were to get an MG Unicorn, the Full Armor is the way to go? I like the green better than the red, but the addons are really friggin' unwieldy looking, and I dunno if I want to pay extra for them. Part of the reason I haven't gotten a Unicorn or Nu ver. Ka is because of their psychoframes and the billion different moving armor parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You don't need to get the official LED, just got to a hardware store and pick up an appropriately sized one. Personally I've never bothered with them, but honestly I don't see why we should tell you what to do with your kit. :v:

And yes, MG FA Unicorn is the best one available. Not because of the psychoframe, but because it has a non-lovely AB connector.

Also because it's practically a MG Systems Weapon kit. Don't forget you don't have to put on all the weapons too; if you do, it won't be able to do poo poo, if you don't it can pull off some nifty poses.

• Locked thread