Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Decus posted:

What were the in-character justifications for that little conversation considering the most recent reveal?

Dude is called Mad Dog. Maybe he's not the most stable and rules following sort of guy, and no matter what would be the best and most logical thing for him to do he'd just flip out and attack the strongest guy around him just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Sarcophallus posted:

I hope this 'Baam falling down some abyss to his "death"' thing is going to have some kind of twist that makes it totally different from the last season finale.
For whatever reason mngacow didn't translate SIU's comment: "I should call him the main character who gets stronger every time he falls."

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
Checking the chapter again i noticed: when beta attacked Baam the thing that was tethering Baam came from the base of the thorn and pulled him down.

Theres something thats nagging me about Hwa Ryun. Im anticipating a smug "just as planned" :smug: from her before the end of this season.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
I wouldn't be surprised if she were working with Lero-ro, or at least aware of his presence, whereas the other FUG faction might not know about him. I certainly doubt that Ha Jinsung's faction is just sitting on their hands anyhow.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if she were working with Lero-ro, or at least aware of his presence, whereas the other FUG faction might not know about him. I certainly doubt that Ha Jinsung's faction is just sitting on their hands anyhow.

Remember that she is a Guide. Early in season one when it was by explained in a quote on chapter 77.

"blessed by The Tower with the knowledge of all the paths within, to assist in its navigation, and, at times, are even able to foresee the future and change it."

The Guide's major limitation is the strength of the person they are guiding. Shown with the dwarf on floor one who was plotting out Baam's victory over the Steel Eel where he Knew how Baam could pull it off but doubted his ability. So what they see is not necessarily set in stone.

My plot intuition is telling me that anything that involves her in any degree is part of the path she has set for the death of Zahard. That even the machinations of the other FUG branch is a feeding into this.

Or this could just be wild mass guessing on my part. Who knows :downs:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Hi my name is Baam, my hobbies include fighting, getting betrayed, and falling off of/into stuff.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Company version is now out.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I hate to doublepost, but new chapter is out on Mangacow. More plot and a wild beat up Hatsu appears. Wonder what happened to Lero...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hah, from the first couple pages it looks like I might just be right and trying to put an irregular in the Thorn isn't gonna go quite as the section of FUG that wants to do it plans.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

rizzen posted:

I hate to doublepost, but new chapter is out on Mangacow. More plot and a wild beat up Hatsu appears. Wonder what happened to Lero...

Im pretty sure Lero is in the red visored suit, and everyones just assuming its Hwa Ryun since red is her color

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I love Rak's :effort: disguise.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Im pretty sure Lero is in the red visored suit, and everyones just assuming its Hwa Ryun since red is her color

You mean Yuto? Way too short to be Lero, no?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
They'll never see past my black mask

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Nahxela posted:

They'll never see past my black mask

Well he's also like ten feet shorter than he originally was. And that's pretty much all the defense I can give to that costume.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
It seems weird that they're trying to put Baam (an irregular) into the thorn, which is just some piece of scrap left over from a different irregular. I guess that like they said it'd be a way to use his power as a tool without needing his co-operation. I wonder what the thorn is anyways though, and what's going on in Rachel-land.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Hietala posted:

It seems weird that they're trying to put Baam (an irregular) into the thorn, which is just some piece of scrap left over from a different irregular. I guess that like they said it'd be a way to use his power as a tool without needing his co-operation. I wonder what the thorn is anyways though, and what's going on in Rachel-land.

Speaking of, isn't Rachel also an irregular? Seems like it'd be easier to just stuff her into Thorn.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sleepy Owl posted:

Speaking of, isn't Rachel also an irregular? Seems like it'd be easier to just stuff her into Thorn.

Baam is much more powerful than Rachel, though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hietala posted:

The Thorn might be the weapon that slew the gaurdian, it might also have the power to kill zahard but it is currently drained or something so they want to use baam as a battery

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

AtomikKrab posted:

The Thorn might be the weapon that slew the gaurdian, it might also have the power to kill zahard but it is currently drained or something so they want to use baam as a battery

Thats what I thought too, so why not just dump Rachel into it, shed be easier to control since she isnt a megafucker like Baam is but she still has the irregularity required to kill Zahard

rizzen posted:

You mean Yuto? Way too short to be Lero, no?

I just read a few chapters during the one shot game and Yuto does appear to be a midget, I never really noticed before.

Even though people can be as tiny as two feet and as tall as ten in the tower, Yuto is definitely petite and Hwa Ryun fits that better, it just seems too obvious that shes Yuto.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 4, 2013

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Meme Emulator posted:

Thats what I thought too, so why not just dump Rachel into it, shed be easier to control since she isnt a megafucker like Baam is but she still has the irregularity required to kill Zahard

I just read a few chapters during the one shot game and Yuto does appear to be a midget, I never really noticed before.

Even though people can be as tiny as two feet and as tall as ten in the tower, Yuto is definitely petite and Hwa Ryun fits that better, it just seems too obvious that shes Yuto.

Because Rachel seems really weak? Also would she really be easier to manipulate? She's betrayed and killed her fair share of people by now and she's generally pretty unpredictable.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Soylentbits posted:

Because Rachel seems really weak? Also would she really be easier to manipulate? She's betrayed and killed her fair share of people by now and she's generally pretty unpredictable.

If Rachel got turned into a sword, it would be up to the Rachelsword wielder to have the strength to kill Zahard, right? Rachels individual strength wouldnt matter in that case. The Rachelsword would only be important because it has Rachel in it, who is an Irregular, and not bound by the rules of the tower, and therefore could kill Zahard.

Baam has infinite shinsoo control and is an insane wildcard while Rachel is just a normal person, id go so far as to say Rachel would be far easier to control. Epecially since her betrayals and killings were manipulated by FUG anyway. Theyve already got that poor dumb girl under thier finger.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

If Rachel got turned into a sword, it would be up to the Rachelsword wielder to have the strength to kill Zahard, right? Rachels individual strength wouldnt matter in that case. The Rachelsword would only be important because it has Rachel in it, who is an Irregular, and not bound by the rules of the tower, and therefore could kill Zahard.

Baam has infinite shinsoo control and is an insane wildcard while Rachel is just a normal person, id go so far as to say Rachel would be far easier to control. Epecially since her betrayals and killings were manipulated by FUG anyway. Theyve already got that poor dumb girl under thier finger.

Being irregular doesn't mean she can power up the thorn enough, though. Just because she's technically able to break the "No killing zahard" rule doesn't mean her powers would allow her or a thorn infused with her to accomplish the goal. If it became a weak rear end cardboard weapon I imagine Zahard would laugh it off, no matter how powerful the wielder. Baam seems to actually live up to the super powerful irregular moniker.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I didn't realize Rachel was an irregular. I thought that she entered normally and didn't open the door like Baam.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The normal way of entering the tower is getting dragged in by Headon. Dunno if she opened a door herself or just fell through one Baam opened but she should be an irregular either way.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

lil baby anime posted:

The normal way of entering the tower is getting dragged in by Headon. Dunno if she opened a door herself or just fell through one Baam opened but she should be an irregular either way.

It is the latter. That, consequently, is why Headon was so disgusted by her and spent his time insulting her. She was just gutter trash who got thrown in on accident, effectively.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't realize Rachel was an irregular. I thought that she entered normally and didn't open the door like Baam.

She's some sort of weird double-irregular in that she piggybacked in off of Baam opening the door to the Tower. They both came from the same place after all, she just doesn't possess whatever quality it is that lets irregulars open the door.

I also continue to wonder what the hell Baam is and why he was stuck in what amounted to a prison at the very bottom of the Universe. I think it may be a particularly remarkable characteristic of him that he is going from absolute powerlessness to basically a living god as he climbs the Tower and that this internal journey is part of why the Tower "chose" him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lil baby anime posted:

Dunno if she opened a door herself or just fell through one Baam opened but she should be an irregular either way.

I figured this is why FUG's not after her. Because she didn't actually force the door open herself, though she technically counts as an Irregular, she doesn't actually have the qualities that make an Irregular, and so is useless for FUG's plans.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
I don't really think this is Fug's plan, but I wonder what would go down if Rachel was the one who used the powered up thorn, rather than the source of it's power. Weak or not, that would be one way to combine two irregular forces into one unpredictable power.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Recursive Expanse posted:

I don't really think this is Fug's plan, but I wonder what would go down if Rachel was the one who used the powered up thorn, rather than the source of it's power. Weak or not, that would be one way to combine two irregular forces into one unpredictable power.

Like that'd ever happen. FUG was upset at Baam wielding the thorn, why would they want some usless idiot having it instead.

At least Baam wielding thorn makes sense, hes an irregular and would be strong enough to wield it. Rachelthorn would just be embarassing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
One thing I remember is that Black March refused to work for Yuri, but worked for Baam. So not only did it retain a personality, it has the ability to choose if it actually works or not. Unless they've found a way to prevent that, or the 13 month series was deliberately made with free will and the same isn't true of most ignition weapons, then putting Baam in the thorn will just lead to a weapon that can decide it doesn't want to work.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
FUG isn't after Rachel because she already plays along with them. Unlike Baam, she's willing to use their patronage to her advantage.

I think the current consensus is that the other family heads entered the Tower alongside Zahard the way Rachel did. Being born outside the Tower seems to give someone an extra dose of potential within it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

FUG isn't after Rachel because she already plays along with them. Unlike Baam, she's willing to use their patronage to her advantage.

I think the current consensus is that the other family heads entered the Tower alongside Zahard the way Rachel did. Being born outside the Tower seems to give someone an extra dose of potential within it.

I don't think that's the case. I think it's more that in order to get inside the tower uninvited, you need to be pretty powerful. I'm willing to bet that people on the outside aren't any more powerful as those on the inside, just that people who can get into the tower with their own power are already total powerhouses. Add in that it's very likely that it's literally against the laws of the tower to kill Zahard, it's pretty likely that anyone with the potential to top Zahard's power is either killed by his forces or crushed by the tower itself. Who knows what those guardians are doing?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A lot of irregulars(if the 5 we know about aren't the only ones) are probably stopped at the 2nd floor yeah. You have to be very powerful or lucky(in Baam's case) to climb the tower as an irregular.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
An Irregular entering the Tower was a huge deal when Baam did it, so I doubt it happens much. If I remember correctly, between Zahard's crew and Baam, there was only Enryu, Mazino, and Phantiminum.

In terms of being powerful within the Tower, if I had to guess I'd say that being raised in an environment with no Shinsoo might have something to do with it. Although Baam and Rachel are the only Irregulars we know of who entered without already being badass warriors (presumably the family heads weren't just hauling around Zahard's luggage), and Baam's potential was established pretty early on. There has to be something, because the Tower has an absolutely massive population, but every legitimate Irregular has been significantly more powerful than anyone within the Tower. Except maybe Zahard's Princesses, but they are created by injecting Irregular juice from Zahard into someone decended from another Irregular.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Even if they weren't strong enough to open the door on their own, the other family heads were still Zahards rear end kicking crew and likely fairly strong to begin with.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Considering the lowest ranked family head is 17th out of all rankers then yeah, the family heads tend to be pretty powerful. The top of the ranker list is basically the 4 big name irregulars (if you count Zahard as an irregular, which he kind of is), then a mishmash of family heads and zahard princesses with a couple of oddballs, like the leader of FUG.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 6, 2013

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Considering the lowest ranked family head is 17th out of all rankers then yeah, the family heads tend to be pretty powerful. The top of the ranker list is basically the 4 big name irregulars (if you count Zahard as an irregular, which he kind of is), then a mishmash of family heads and zahard princesses with a couple of oddballs, like the leader of FUG.

The ranks aren't really absolute indications of power, they're granted by people from within the tower. It would be no real surprise if someone's rank was determined by their political clout as it was by their actual abilities. The heads are probably pretty drat powerful sure, but you can't really use the ranking system as a precise indication of just how powerful.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Ranks are almost directly a measure of influence/notoriety. Zahard has slipped a few ranks just by not doing much of anything, for example.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He was "demoted" to 2nd place when Enryu appeared due to inactivity, but Phantaminium was definitely ranked higher because of combat ability. Influence definitely matters when considering rank, but I don't think someone with no skills at all would be able to be a high-ranker even if they were the most influential person in the tower.

Anyway, for the majority of the high rankers higher rank does mean more power.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I definitely think it works if you visualize it in tiers. The top 4 or whatever being of roughly the same level, with no real way to gauge the difference in power levels due to them never being in the same in room, much less having fought one another. A big fight between irregulars at the top of the tower would common knowledge, wouldn't it? Though Phantaminum has a case to be ranked first with his attack on Zahard's palace. I think something like that, coupled with influence/notoriety is the best way to look at the rankings.