Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got to check out one of the '14 Ultras that had water cooling today. I thought it looks like they've been designing it for a while, not like they just slapped it on to pass regulations. I'm interested to see how the system holds up in the long run.

I also messed around with the touchscreen "infotainment" and bluetooth:

I think I got Lowtax's number from his twitter, if you're wondering

I don't know what anything comparable on BMWs or Goldwings is like, but this had both touch and controls on the handlebars, and seemed pretty straightforward to use. Apparently the volume adjusts based on your speed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Deeters posted:

Apparently the volume adjusts based on your speed too.

For a Harley I assume this means it gets louder as you come to a stop

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Snowdens Secret posted:

For a Harley I assume this means it gets louder as you come to a stop

It should be based on throttle position so you can blare your music while you rev your bike and make loud exhaust noises.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Deeters posted:

Apparently the volume adjusts based on your speed too.

Bragging about 1980s technology in their flagship

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I wish my derpy ol' car did that. Flowmaster 40s be a harsh mistress...

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

You can run but you cannot hide! Red & White is Worldwide!!!

I like my 2000 Softail Deuce 88ci. Her name is Lucy (the Deucy, of course) and she's got a set of V&H shorty pipes. I still wanna get a Memphis Bullet Fairing and a set of Scottie's West Coast T-bars.

I'm actually pretty satisfied with Lucy, she's got an excellent COG, so ridin' two-up with the O' Lady is just fine....'cept her butt gets numb after some time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Approximately 75% of Lucy looks great. Not sure about the cropped-out bits though :)

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Approximately 75% of Lucy looks great. Not sure about the cropped-out bits though :)

Here's Lucy complete non-cropped.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I like the Deuce and its clean lines. I wonder if the solid wheel makes it wander in crosswinds more or not.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In my experience, heavier wheels keep steadier.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
What's with the whip? Are you in a club or something?

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What's with the whip? Are you in a club or something?

The whip is used to smite the sinners with. LOL

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Road the Sportster 2-Up with the wife this weekend. 400 miles over the course of two days...My butt hurts. :)

It was a great ride. We went from Cedar Rapids down to Columbus Junction, IA and stayed overnight there.

On Sunday, we rode from Columbus Junction down to Hamilton, IL partly via the Great River Road and back. It runs right alongside the Mississippi River and is a really nice ride. Would definitely suggest it if you're somewhere close.

If you do much 2-Up riding on a Sportster, do yourself a favor and put some Street Glide or Road King air shocks on the back. They make a world of difference and are cheap used.

Anyhoo...who says you can't ride 2-Up on a Sporty?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I've done a lot of two up miles on the back of my dad's sportster and yeah, better shocks and a back rest made all the difference.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
My 04 Heritage Softail Classic, FLSTCI thingy.

I bought this as a bank repo a year ago.

Since then I have added:
Kurykan large highway pegs with offset mounts.
A frickin windshield
Lower fork leg air deflectors (not installed in this pic)
cheap 200 dollar ebay exhaust to replace the mismatched pipes the PO had on it.
and mustang seats for me and my girl.
The headlight visors a buddy donated to me and the bell is given to me by a very dear friend of mine.

As far as I know the motor is stock.

I don't plan on doing much else besides maintenance for a long time, I'm saving up for a new Indian, at least that's what I'm saying anyway.
Big baggers are what a guy needs out here, it's 20 miles to town and fuel. Poker runs are 300-400 mile days, and the roads are straight. If i lived somewhere that had interesting roads I'd probably have something that handles better than a Harley.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Used Sunlight sales posted:

My 04 Heritage Softail Classic, FLSTCI thingy.

A popular upgrade on these seems to be getting the rear air shocks from a Road King / Electra Glide. They go for pretty cheap on ebay / boards and it makes for easy adjustments if you ride 2-up a lot.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
I bought a thing, and a thing to go with the thing.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
I still haven't ridden Vrod, but I want to, just to see how it goes. Good looking bike.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I'd gently caress that bike.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Strife posted:

I'd gently caress that bike.

Its got a big fat rear end, just like I like it.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
I need to replace the exhaust on it, it sounds like a pissed off wasp using a sewing machine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Keep it and be the only harley in existance that doesn't sound like the world's most drawn out fart.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
So this thing sort of fell into my lap.

When desire, opportunity and the correct amount of money all line up, generally I make a bad decision. I don't think I screwed this one up though.

2006 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic. So much chrome! So pretty!

It was raining all day today and I didn't feel like riding it home in the rain, so I took a trailer. By the time I got the trailer returned I just had time to run over to my buddy's house about a mile away.

It already rides so much better than my Heritage. I'm really going to like this bike. :)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

IRL Cool Guy Motorcycles *flicks poker chips at u*

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Is my buddy doing harley right? Facebook, so not sure if it will load properly.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202182344138714&set=vb.1192463750&type=2&theater

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Facebook, so not sure if it will load properly.

Negatory. Right click on the photo and copy the URL.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Is this a good deal?

http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/4092914983.html

$10,000.00 for a 2013 FDBX Street Bob (1000+ miles) with the following upgrades:

HD Black Forward Controls
HD black Passenger mounts and foot pegs (not pictured)
HD Sundown Passenger seat (not pictured)
Upgraded driver foot pegs
HD Slip on Pipes that sound great
Stage 1 intake and ECM programming
Chrome Derby cover
Axle nut covers
Air cleaner cover
Chrome headlight visor

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Lurked this thread for a bit, but never posted before now.

I have been riding for 15 years or so, and as of my 4th bike - I bought a Harley. A Dyna Wide Glide to be precise.

My bikes in chronological order:

- Honda Shadow A.C.E. 750 (this was my starter bike and it was a GREAT starter bike)
- Ultra Jackhammer ST (big goofy chopper)
- 2011 Honda Interstate ABS
and now:
- 2014 HD Wide Glide

Now back in the day when I made a lot less money and used to dream of owning a Harley - the Wide Glide always had my eye. The Interstate was a very solid bike. Plenty of power, smooth ride, all the creature comforts. So why did I only have it for 2 years? Honestly - it rides like an Old Guy Bike(tm) and while I am pretty old - I'm not ready for my old guy bike yet.

So I was pretty certain on the Wide Glide, but the Street Bob had caught my eye lately so I took both out for a test ride. Heh. I'm not sure who engineered the Street Bob, but I'm pretty sure he HATES tall people. At 6'2" I was so folded up it might as well have been a Miata. If I pressed the back brake all the way my toes were pointing straight down. Not even a little comfortable. I sat on one with Forward Controls and even that didn't help much. Tall man is tall. The WG on the other hand, was like a warm hug from an old friend. I was sold on it in about 30 seconds. Couple that with a buddy who is the Sales/Business Manager at the dealer and I was off to the races. :)

So I picked it up this past Saturday and holy poo poo am I in love. You may wonder why I didn't buy used. One simple reason: ABS - which as of 2014 is standard on the WG. After having it on the Interstate, I'm not sure I could go back to not having it.

But I gotta say - for years I had been under the impression that going from a metric bike to HD would be something of a step backwards, technology wise. I guess I was basing that opinion on the Jackhammer, which as a 2005 model still had a fuel petcock (and was American made? Maybe that's why I was thinking HD's would be more 'old school'). I bought the Interstate and was thinking "see? this is the future! No petcock at all." But yeah - I am really impressed with the Harley. The break-in is killing me, but I did about 160 miles of it in a day, so it's going fast at least.

Attached a pic. Before you ask: I do leather work, and I LOVE how white leather looks when it starts to age and gets a little dirty - hence the white seat. That pillion has since come off. It was only on to get it home from the dealer. The grips were a suggestion from the chrome guy and it makes for a nice little touch. My plan is to black out most everything else. First up: a set of V&H Big Radius pipes in black. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Cheap, modern Harleys!

http://street.harley-davidson.com/

Did they downsize the Vrod motor?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I hope this doesn't mean the end of the line for the evo engine, I know they had to switch to water cooling eventually but this has a 60 degree v angle, overhead cams, balance shafts and no hydraulic lifters. I know it's a minority opinion around here but I actually like that Harleys (and Buells) use 50s engine tech. My dad got a little excited about there finally being a 750cc Harley again though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

High Protein posted:

actually like that Harleys (and Buells) use 50s engine tech.

Why?

No hostility, just...why? If you like your bike to have an old-fashioned engine, there are millions upon millions of gently used Harleys out there that will suit your needs. What's wrong with making the engines in the new bikes objectively better?

I like the clattery, bumpy, kickstarty, clunky imprecision of my old CL350 too, but I'm sure not losing any sleep that Honda isn't making air-cooled engines with ignition points any more.
e: (for motorcycles, I've got no clue what they put in their generators and such)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 5, 2013

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

I hope this doesn't mean the end of the line for the evo engine, I know they had to switch to water cooling eventually but this has a 60 degree v angle, overhead cams, balance shafts and no hydraulic lifters. I know it's a minority opinion around here but I actually like that Harleys (and Buells) use 50s engine tech. My dad got a little excited about there finally being a 750cc Harley again though.

The 750 never left. It just costs something like $13000 for an unmachined one.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Why?

No hostility, just...why? If you like your bike to have an old-fashioned engine, there are millions upon millions of gently used Harleys out there that will suit your needs. What's wrong with making the engines in the new bikes objectively better?

I like the clattery, bumpy, kickstarty, clunky imprecision of my old CL350 too, but I'm sure not losing any sleep that Honda isn't making air-cooled engines with ignition points any more.
e: (for motorcycles, I've got no clue what they put in their generators and such)

For me it's less that I like the era the tech originated from (give me a break on this anyway, OHC otto cycle tech is like 100+ years old, it's a pretty useless conversation) it's more that the unit Evo engine is an absolute sweetheart - easy to run, easy to own, easy to mod. I love it. If they do make it go away, it will be a sad day.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Harley would be insane to try to replace the EVO sportsters. They may be forced eventually to do so for emissions, I guess? But I can't see them giving up so easy or willingly.

I wouldn't be a fan of it either. I owned an EVO for years and if I'm ever able, I would love to build one from the frame up.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Why?

Why, well that's a bit difficult to answer. I like bikes to feel mechanical and unrefined, but on the other hand I think it'd be weird to design a new engine to be gimped by a 45 degree V angle and pushrods on purpose. Does that mean I've succumbed to Heritage-based marketing by proxy? Maybe, but I think it's just plain cool they managed to squeeze 100HP out of something like this, just like I think it's cool how pushrod V8 engines are still competitive. I also enjoy the juxtaposition of a futuristic looking bike (with good brakes and suspension) that sounds and shakes like a tractor.

Disregarding Harley/Buell there's also people that choose to buy and MT-01 over a B-king, or anything else than one of the Honda 700CC bikes which are probably, purely objectively viewed, the best bike one can get.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

High Protein posted:

I also enjoy the juxtaposition of a futuristic looking bike (with good brakes and suspension) that sounds and shakes like a tractor.

Well, you could always take a modern engine, pull out the balance shafts and chop off the exhaust :v:

But if you really want something that sounds like a tractor, I think you gotta start looking at those military diesel KLRs. That's something I'd definitely like to have in my stable someday.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They had one of those diesel KLRs at the AMSOil tent in Sturgis last year. The rep started it up, sounded like it was broken. I thought the FLIR headlamp setup was pretty sweet.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

High Protein posted:

I think it's just plain cool they managed to squeeze 100HP out of something like this, just like I think it's cool how pushrod V8 engines are still competitive.

Technically, it was Buell, not harley, who squeezed 100 hp out of the Evo.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The pushrod V8s that are competitive today share essentially nothing, beyond 'is a V8' and 'has pushrods', with their '60s equivalents.

They're also water-cooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Giblet Plus! posted:

Technically, it was Buell, not harley, who squeezed 100 hp out of the Evo.

I wasn't trying to imply otherwise :)

• Locked thread