Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I love how it's got all the loving quirks that could have been identified by letting an actual photographer try to use it for all of 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

evil_bunnY posted:

I love how it's got all the loving quirks that could have been identified by letting an actual photographer try to use it for all of 30 minutes.

Dpreview reviewer was using it wrong, he wasn't wearing a fedora.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

They should sell memory cards that only hold 36 shots.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

aliencowboy posted:

non-Fuji user spotted. (so Kodak then? or were you one of those snobs that insisted on shooting artsy stuff like Ilford*)

* (Yeah, I shot lots of Delta-100 and HP-5 too):negative:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

aliencowboy posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-512Mb-Sd-Card-80X/dp/B0009I6KC0 :haw:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

http://feedly.com/k/1aoYicS

Joe McNally got a preproduction DF to test in mexico, confirms there's no video, but handles pretty well despite all the buttons. But he's also sponsored by Nikon, so take it with a grain of salt.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Oh my god, I had no idea you couldn't use manual focus lenses without a splitscreen focus aid. Thanks Nikon thread, guess I will go put the split prism back into my F3 after years of using a plain one.:jerkbag:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

Oh my god, I had no idea you couldn't use manual focus lenses without a splitscreen focus aid. Thanks Nikon thread, guess I will go put the split prism back into my F3 after years of using a plain one.:jerkbag:

I'm not sure why people think it's impossible to focus using just a normal groundglass, when in fact it's really easy, and if you have broken eyes there's always AF-confirm.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, if it's got nikon's nice AF confirm you can probably skip the split prism pretty easily.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

8th-snype posted:

I get what you're saying, but it's kind of a baffling decision to leave it out, given the marketing and other design decisions. By making the camera compatible with pre-AI lenses, Nikon is definitely acknowledging the use of manual focus lenses with it. It's also catering to the crowd that grew up focusing manually (often, or even usually, with a split prism viewfinder), as well as the crowd that wants to be retro and thinks that you need a split prism to use manual focus lenses. I would argue that having a split prism, or at least the ability to replace the screen with a split prism, would be more consistent with the rest of the camera. I would also say that for me personally, it is easier to use manual focus lenses with a split prism viewfinder than without.

That being said, I'm sure it won't be long until someone like Katzeye makes a split prism viewfinder for it. Installing new screens isn't really that hard, even on cameras that don't have explicitly user-replacable focus screens.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

8th-snype posted:

To be fair, when I upgraded from my 'microprism (macroprism? it was bigger chunks than what's normally called microprism) only' zenit to a camera with split-screen, it was a HUGE boost in being able to focus decently.

But yeah, not 'necessary' just a 'wtf were nikon thinking...' thing.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SybilVimes posted:

But yeah, not 'necessary' just a 'wtf were nikon thinking...' thing.

Probably "why bother when KatzEye will do it for us in a month anyways and people would just buy their version anyways because ours would be more expensive."

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby
For 2700 bucks couldn't they have included one?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

SoundMonkey posted:

Probably "why bother when KatzEye will do it for us in a month anyways and people would just buy their version anyways because ours would be more expensive."

I mean, if they're going to leave video out entirely for philosophical reasons, a split prism should definitely have gone in.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Someone said the Df was essentially the same size as the D800, but I haven't found very many other size comparisons. Is that the case? There's nothing wrong with the D800 but I'd kinda hoped this camera would be more FM2 sized than D800 sized.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ultrabay2000 posted:

Someone said the Df was essentially the same size as the D800, but I haven't found very many other size comparisons. Is that the case? There's nothing wrong with the D800 but I'd kinda hoped this camera would be more FM2 sized than D800 sized.

I've been hearing D610 sized, which is only a little bit smaller than a D800 right? Yah, it seems big to me also. And the depth looks kind of odd with the retro styling, it's too thick to be a film camera. I guess all the electronics for the buttons and screen take up too much room.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
It's already up on camerasize http://camerasize.com/compare/#495,486

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

a foolish pianist posted:

I mean, if they're going to leave video out entirely for philosophical reasons, a split prism should definitely have gone in.

And while they were at it, the HDMI could have been left out too.

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
Katzeye never released a screen for the D600/800 so I wouldn't be expecting one for the Df, which really sucks (not that I plan on getting a Df anyways). It really would be nice though to have a nice split prism since the focus confirmation for manual lenses isn't quite accurate enough especially at wider apertures.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
What is the deal with d600 refurbs do they still have the sensor issue?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Dren posted:

What is the deal with d600 refurbs do they still have the sensor issue?

Refurbs should be fine.
I got a refurb d600 from KEH almost 7 months ago now and haven't had any issues with dust.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

SoundMonkey posted:

I thought the point was that the Df not only didn't have a split screen, but also had no possibility to replace the screen?

Focus confirmation is great and all, but I always find it faster and more accurate to MF on a split screen. The faster part is the important one- any action/motion and hunting the focus dot becomes a bit of a lost cause.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

StarkingBarfish posted:

I thought the point was that the Df not only didn't have a split screen, but also had no possibility to replace the screen?

Focus confirmation is great and all, but I always find it faster and more accurate to MF on a split screen. The faster part is the important one- any action/motion and hunting the focus dot becomes a bit of a lost cause.

"Not replaceable" really means "not easily replaceable." You can still reach the focus screen through the mirror box.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ultrabay2000 posted:

The Camera Store's hands-on video is up on youtube; Chris Nicholls compares it to the D600, size-wise. Just watching him hold it, it's fairly large, but not a beast like the D4 he swaps in for test shots (they won't let him take pictures with the Df).

It also comes in black, so if nothing else, it's a slightly lighter-weight D4 for half the price. I like the black, reminds me of the F3/F4.

ShadeofBlue posted:

"Not replaceable" really means "not easily replaceable." You can still reach the focus screen through the mirror box.
Yeah, they've got to put it in there, so there is a way to take it out. It's just not designed for quick changing in the field. You'd have to do like I used to on my Olympus and poke at it with tweezers through the lensmount. It's easy enough, just not as simple as the old pop-top Nikons.

One time one of my coworkers dropped his D1 (set it on a table at the street fair, table collapsed) hard enough to knock a pretty substantial chunk out of the body on the corner of the bit where the back LCD screen sticks out, and the focus screen popped out. He was able to put it back in and the camera continued working perfectly.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-snype posted:

:allears:

I want to take this post out back, and get it pregnant.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Musket posted:

:allears:

I want to take this post out back, and get it pregnant.

What are you waiting for? :gooncamp:

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby
woot.com has a D600 kit refurbished today.

So there's that.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

aliencowboy posted:

It would be an interesting novelty as a menu option, and probably easy to implement as a firmware update.

"Maximum Photos: Save only x number of photos until you format your card, or insert another card. Photos cannot be deleted while this function is enabled. (Disable this feature to use full capacity of the card and enable delete functionality.)"

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Every photo after 36 is a multiple exposure.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

aliencowboy posted:

They do. Well, might be hard to find these days, but 256/512MB cards exist. I don't have one handy to test with the D7000, but I remember a 512 feeling way too small even with a D1x shooting jpg. So modern resolutions+RAW should get you down to 24-36 shots on a >gigabyte card.

My little Canon 6mp point-and-shoot came with a 32MB SD card, I should try that in the D7000.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

And every so often, you'll think you have a full card, but when you plug it in to your computer, the card is empty because you didn't insert the card into the camera just so.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Shitcamera of camera-around-the-world fame has a 16mb card. If you set it to medium jpeg (1Mpix) you get ~40 shots, otherwise it's only like 12.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Spime Wrangler posted:

Shitcamera of camera-around-the-world fame has a 16mb card. If you set it to medium jpeg (1Mpix) you get ~40 shots, otherwise it's only like 12.

12 shots too many.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I don't think getting too many pictures from the "cameras around the world" project is a problem we're going to have to deal with.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

HPL posted:

And every so often, you'll think you have a full card, but when you plug it in to your computer, the card is empty because you didn't insert the card into the camera just so.

One of the guys in the cinematography thread was telling us about how they used to haze new people by telling them they had to replace REDMAGs inside a film changing tent or else it wouldn't record video properly :downs:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Beastruction posted:

I think you mean 39 :smug:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone been shafted by Amazon and their fakes? My other half got me a MB D11 grip and it is plastic, the locking wheel is shockingly loose, the battery drawers have no nikon logo and the rubber isn't the same pattern [among other things]. I studied some videos and pretty sure it's fake. But at least the wheels don't change the apperture in reverse motion like other fakes :swoon:

A real shame as she paid £130 for this poo poo-heap.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

simosimo posted:

Anyone been shafted by Amazon and their fakes? My other half got me a MB D11 grip and it is plastic, the locking wheel is shockingly loose, the battery drawers have no nikon logo and the rubber isn't the same pattern [among other things]. I studied some videos and pretty sure it's fake. But at least the wheels don't change the apperture in reverse motion like other fakes :swoon:

A real shame as she paid £130 for this poo poo-heap.

I've sold on Amazon before and they generally don't release the funds to the seller for something like two weeks or even longer after the item has been delivered in the event of something like that. She can surely get a refund since that sounds terrible especially for the price.

The only mix up I've really had was when I ordered a Nikon flash on there earlier this year and when it arrived it was very clearly a Canon flash. I complained about it and the seller gave me a refund and told me to just keep the thing so now it sits on a cheap wireless trigger that doesn't do TTL anyways.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Here's their reply after mentioning about how poo poo it is:

quote:

It's Hongkong version after I checked with the stock,however,pls take it easy,it's not fake,could you tell me whether it's can't compatible with your Nikon SLR?I'll give you some discount if just the performance not adequate,waitting your reply sincerely.

Best regards,

Oh dear. Bearing in mind this is a UK company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

simosimo posted:

Here's their reply after mentioning about how poo poo it is:

Oh dear. Bearing in mind this is a UK company.

"It's counterfeit and I'm doing a chargeback, please explain to my credit card issuer about any discounts you may be willing to provide."