Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
You guys know that Headphones has it's own indexer (requires a donation, I believe) that cleans up release names into a usable format for Headphones, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

You guys know that Headphones has it's own indexer (requires a donation, I believe) that cleans up release names into a usable format for Headphones, right?

It hardly works because of how it's been uploaded onto Usenet. I have the private indexer as well and it's just as unreliable as a generic newsnab indexer.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

kri kri posted:

Then just use an indexers built in TV tools. Dognzb and nzbs.org both have a "TV shows" function that will send SAB new shows. It doesn't sound like you need Sickbeard.

How do you deal with having non-TV shows you grab from DogNZB not being put into the TV category you have set up on SAB like this though? I'd much rather use dognzb than nzbdrone or sickbeard

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Speaking of scene naming standards:

I've always wondered, what do these release groups get out of all the effort and work they put into this stuff? Following complex naming guidelines, recording stuff, encoding, uploading. What do they get out of all that work? How are there so many people doing this? Is there some hidden financial incentive I'm missing? I mean, I'm glad they are and hope they continue to do so, but the motivation is fascinating.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
For software and game groups it was the challenge of cracking and winning the race to get it up first. For movie and TV groups its just the encode and race part.

When you contribute to a release group you get access to their FTPs and the FTPs of friendly groups, which are crazy fast and full of pre release stuff.

Groups don't upload to usenet, someone with access to the private FTPs does that on their own.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gozinbulx posted:

Speaking of scene naming standards:

I've always wondered, what do these release groups get out of all the effort and work they put into this stuff? Following complex naming guidelines, recording stuff, encoding, uploading. What do they get out of all that work? How are there so many people doing this? Is there some hidden financial incentive I'm missing? I mean, I'm glad they are and hope they continue to do so, but the motivation is fascinating.

Officially it's all about the e-peen. Unofficially, there's always rumors that so-and-so group is tied to some organized bootleg disc operation in X country and receives some kind of kickback for providing the source files. Not sure how much of that has ever been proven.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I figured as much. I find the idea of a huge shadow distribution network based purely on prestige and "scene cred" absolutely fascinating and an elegant example to counter people who think people are only motivated by money.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gozinbulx posted:

I figured as much. I find the idea of a huge shadow distribution network based purely on prestige and "scene cred" absolutely fascinating and an elegant example to counter people who think people are only motivated by money.

Anyone who would argue that people aren't motivated by a perceived status within their community is pretty silly anyways.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

There's money in it but it is mostly internet cool points. Some secondary places will pay for access to those FTP topsites.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hey Murodese, I want to chat you up about pynab. I'm doing experiments with trying to find the fastest way to do this indexing stuff, and I want to ask you about some stuff you did in pynab.

You have IM or email you'd chat on?

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
I have News Demon as my main provider, with Block News as a backup. I usually get the 100 GB block for about $15. Normally this lasts me a long time. Recently, something made SAB blow through the whole block in a short amount of time. I got another one, and it seems to have already used 5GB in a day or two. I'm not sure what's causing this.

Here are my settings in SAB:
News Demon
Block News

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

News Demon are a Highwinds reseller, and for the last few months they're getting DMCAd pretty heavily unless you grab things as soon as they go up (Sickbeard and Couch Potato are *usually* fast enough). Before they'd remove just a few blocks to make it incomplete, but now it seems 99% of the listing is getting culled, which is why your backup account is going into overdrive.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Has anyone tried to use coach potato with torrents? I've set it up to Link downloaded files, but it still just renames and move the files from the download folder to the plex folder. The same happens when I set it to copy files. This is on Mavericks.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

EL BROMANCE posted:

News Demon are a Highwinds reseller, and for the last few months they're getting DMCAd pretty heavily unless you grab things as soon as they go up (Sickbeard and Couch Potato are *usually* fast enough). Before they'd remove just a few blocks to make it incomplete, but now it seems 99% of the listing is getting culled, which is why your backup account is going into overdrive.

Thanks, that makes sense. I switched to News Demon because they had a deal for $5/month unlimited. Now I'm wondering if I need to move off of Highwinds.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm finding news demon to be fine for most things honestly. I'd be tempted to keep the $5/MO deal as it's the best I've seen, even above blocks. Perhaps see if you can find a non-highwinds provider with a low rate and use 2 plans instead of a plan + block account?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Is Headphones still supported at all? I just got it installed and I'm getting errors when searching for artists. It says "Attempt to query MusicBrainz for CHVRCHES failed (retried 3 times, caused by: HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable)

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Maybe not the perfect thread for this, buts does anyone have a good converter for Windows that will also metatag as well?

I have been using iVi converter on my Mac, which is great as it will watch my download folder and convert and tag everything and then send it to iTunes so I can watch it on my Apple TV or pop it on my iPad.

Is there any similar software available for Windows?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

So, I went through some effort and setup sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato, and headphones to run from source on my windows server. When I hit them from the server, accessing localhost, they load fine and are fully functional. When I attempt to connect from a remote machine, pages don't load completely, requests time out, or I get errors about the server being too busy. The connection is over a gigabit lan with <1ms ping times. Anyone have an idea what may be going on?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EvilMoFo posted:

So, I went through some effort and setup sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato, and headphones to run from source on my windows server. When I hit them from the server, accessing localhost, they load fine and are fully functional. When I attempt to connect from a remote machine, pages don't load completely, requests time out, or I get errors about the server being too busy. The connection is over a gigabit lan with <1ms ping times. Anyone have an idea what may be going on?

Did you correctly forward the ports on your router?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

kri kri posted:

Did you correctly forward the ports on your router?

EvilMoFo posted:

The connection is over a gigabit lan with <1ms ping times.

The ports are open on the firewall, and this occurs when the firewall is turned off as well. Like I said, pages half load or I get errors about the server being too busy to handle the request or it simply times out.

IE is more likely to connect than Opera but neither load the complete page. I was unable to add a show in sickbeard, it merely sat and didn't show the search for the title, while I was able to do it without issue on the server using localhost.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 6, 2013

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
I keep getting billing errors when trying to sign up for astraweb, anyone know a workaround? Emailed their support staff, just hoping for a quicker answer.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Are you trying to use a prepaid disposable credit card like vanilla visa?

If so, cards like that will only work with US vendors. Since Astraweb is an international one, it requires a "real" card tied to name, address, SSN, etc.

I guess federal laws, money laundering, etc reasons.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
It sounds like there may be an interest for a headphones replacement, something actually supported and...modern. I might get on that at some point.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
Anyone else having trouble getting nzb.su to load?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Uldor posted:

Anyone else having trouble getting nzb.su to load?

Nope

edit: YEP! Login is failing

edit2: Working now.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
What's going on with SAnzb and whose dick do I need to suck to get an invite?

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

xgalaxy posted:

What's going on with SAnzb and whose dick do I need to suck to get an invite?

Seems to have gone the way of most goonprojects

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Seems like CouchPotato fails to post process, 9 out of 10 times, until I restart it. I haven't changed anything or even touched the program in forever, anyone know what causes this? There isn't much going on in the logs either.

Bur
Jul 30, 2006
Sometimes my drives get disconnected, causing the post process script to fail. So now I have a folder full of unprocessed files and manually moving all of them is a pain. Any simple way to process the entire folder?

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
In Sickbeard go to Config/Post Processing, set that directory as the TV Download Dir and enable Scan and Process. When it's done, change the settings back.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Oben posted:

In Sickbeard go to Config/Post Processing, set that directory as the TV Download Dir and enable Scan and Process. When it's done, change the settings back.

Or just hit Manual Post-Processing on the home page and point it at the target directory.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Speaking of, how does sickbeard work if the computer was off/sleeping during the air date. It seems like it just says "missed" and doesnt try to download it when it wakes up. I have to do manuals search. Is there a way for it to search for an already aired show (that was on the wanted list) upon wake up?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
At that point it would be in the backlog, and I don't think it checks the backlog as frequently as it does regular searches.

I've got mine set to only search every 60 minutes, but I'm pretty sure it will find stuff more frequently than that when it's running, so not sure exactly how it all works. I think the only way for it to do what you want is to just wait a while when you first turn it on.

Bur
Jul 30, 2006

Chemondelay posted:

Or just hit Manual Post-Processing on the home page and point it at the target directory.
Thanks guys, knew there was a simple option somewhere I was missing out on :)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So the OP is a little out of date.

I used to use SABnzbd and newzbin back in the day and enjoyed how easy it was. When Newzbin was shutdown I switched to NZBMatrix but never really got into it all that much. Then that got shut down, but at that point pretty much everything I wanted was being dmca'd on my provider and I just decided to stop for a while.

Now that I'm formatting my media pc over again I'm thinking of setting up a usenet setup again. What are the current recommended providers? I'd like to use one as a primary, monthly unlimited downloads and a second on a different network for completion purposes, paid for by block. I have nzb.su access so unless another indexer has come up I'm set there. Has usenet gotten back to the easy days of sabnzbd+newzbin or is it far more of a hassle that just isn't worth it anymore?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't remember having an incomplete download in like...forever. Or at least, incomplete and not able to get it from another release group or quality.

But then again I use sickbeard and couchpotato so stuff is downloaded pretty much as soon as it is released.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Thermopyle posted:

I don't remember having an incomplete download in like...forever. Or at least, incomplete and not able to get it from another release group or quality.

But then again I use sickbeard and couchpotato so stuff is downloaded pretty much as soon as it is released.

I'm usually years behind anything so I'm not looking to grab the latest whatever.

What provider/s are you using?

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
I'm using giganews for my primary and tweaknews as block backup. If I try to queue stuff beyond a 1000 days it usually fails but anything under will likely complete.

e: if someone can get anything posted over 1000 days to complete please tell me (us.)

LT.CrownRoast fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 19, 2013

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

Thermopyle posted:

I'm using sickbeard and there's definitely stuff that is regularly getting taken down as incomplete for me. My provider is Astraweb, and I have backup blocks but I must either have something configured wrong or it's getting taken down on those servers too.

It's pretty specific to the show for me though, I just accepted it for the ones where it happens. I'm curious what provider you're using as well or if you have sickbeard searching more frequently than I do or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Providers:

As you can see I used to be on Supernews, but switched to NewsDemon a couple months ago. I've got Tweaknews and Blocknews as backup block providers, but they don't get hit too often.