Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah maybe the tabs are different sizes, but all mine are marked for 1 gallon, and I've never had any off flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It's one tablet per 10 gallons if you're using it to drive off chloramine. It's one tablet per gallon if you're using it to halt fermentation.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

It's one tablet per 10 gallons if you're using it to drive off chloramine. It's one tablet per gallon if you're using it to halt fermentation.

Are you saying I can use boston water to brew if I tab it first?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Marshmallow Blue posted:

How does it taste?

Nashville water has a strong chlorine-y taste/smell but I switched to using it + tabs ~10 brews ago and haven't noticed any difference from store-bought water.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Marshmallow Blue posted:

You can brew with just about any municipal water if it tastes decent. You may find, if it's extreme in any direction (soft, hard, alkaline, acid) that it affects what beers work well for you. Loads of world-classic beer styles developed because of the local water where they are brewed.

You'd probably have a hard time making tasty beer if the water is just unpalatable, though. Barstow, CA, for example, has water that's not bad for you or anything but has a higher-than-usual sulfur content. If I were living and brewing there, I'd want to RO that water before brewing.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Boston water tastes good, so I'm in luck.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Oh hey 3787 it's been 18 hours since I've repitched you what's all that noise in there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbKpTWiTqU

:allears:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

fullroundaction posted:

Oh hey 3787 it's been 18 hours since I've repitched you what's all that noise in there...

what a freaking beast.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Man that makes me miss fermenting in carboys, I used to love watching highly flocculant strains zip around in huge cheesy looking chunks. I wish they made clear buckets.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I suspect my underpitched 3711 is doing that right now after 48 hours in a honey Christmas saison with a 1.074 OG. Danstar Belle Saison is another monster that I SMaSHed over the summer. 90 degree temps and it was fermented and carbed in two weeks.

Amber Sweet
Apr 30, 2009
Ok, complete newbie just poking my head in here for a moment to ask a quick question. I apologize if this has been discussed before, but this a giant thread and I'm far too lazy to search through it all.

Right now, I have some raspberry vodka in the making. It still has another month or so until it's ready, but I'm wondering if I should remove the raspberries or not. Most places I've checked does say to remove them, but isn't that valuable alcohol I would be losing with them? I wouldn't want to throw them out, any ideas on other uses for them? I could eat them as is, I suppose, but how long would they last outside of the vodka? I have like 5 cups of it in there, I couldn't go through that very fast!

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Amber Sweet posted:

Ok, complete newbie just poking my head in here for a moment to ask a quick question. I apologize if this has been discussed before, but this a giant thread and I'm far too lazy to search through it all.

Right now, I have some raspberry vodka in the making. It still has another month or so until it's ready, but I'm wondering if I should remove the raspberries or not. Most places I've checked does say to remove them, but isn't that valuable alcohol I would be losing with them? I wouldn't want to throw them out, any ideas on other uses for them? I could eat them as is, I suppose, but how long would they last outside of the vodka? I have like 5 cups of it in there, I couldn't go through that very fast!

Just to confirm, you are just soaking raspberries in vodka, right? If you aren't trying to distill vodka, you could easily run them through a fine mesh strainer into another container. You won't lose much liquid volume with this method. The main reasons people like to strain out the pulp is better clarity and the seeds add a bitter tannic quality to whatever you are infusing.

I guess if you really, really didn't want to dump the goop you could maybe throw it in muffins or a cake or something? But beware that it's gonna be pretty insane tasting after the vodka has leeched much of the flavor and sweetness from the pulp. I would probably just dump it personally.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Hey Marshmallow Blue

Back in the day whilst helping with my foray into mead, you expressed interest in trading a bottle around. Still interested? I got 12oz, 22oz, and 750ml wine bottles to pass out of my vanilla blueberry mead (Conan the Blueberrian)

Offer stands for anyone else with mead that wants to sample other kinds.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suspect my underpitched 3711 is doing that right now after 48 hours in a honey Christmas saison with a 1.074 OG. Danstar Belle Saison is another monster that I SMaSHed over the summer. 90 degree temps and it was fermented and carbed in two weeks.

I've never done a SMaSH yet. I was thinking of doing one with Maris Otter and one of the experimental hops (CF107 (Keyworth).

I'll most likely do this a couple of days after I've done the Mish Mash as the new grain order should arrive by then. Is there any tips for doing a SMaSH beer or is it pretty much the same as doing most brews you're just using 1 malt and 1 hop?

fullroundaction posted:

:swoon:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 5, 2013

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Has anyone here ever built any heatsticks? I'm getting ready to setup to do some 1-2 gallon test batches with a 4 gal kettle that was given to me. I'm going to be doing BIAB and until I see if I like it I don't want to waste the time putting in a weldless element on my kettle. Besides using a GFCI outlet and making sure it is underwater before being turned on are there any other gotchas? My parts list is copied(and probably slightly adapted from once I actually get in the store) from Heatsticks. I figure one will be more than enough to do for 1-2 gallon batches considering the water levels will be between 2-3.5 gallons or so. I still need to do water loss tests. Hopefully if this works out as a good pilot system I can start upgrading it to a 2.5 gal eBIAB system with pump and PID.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Amber Sweet posted:

Those would be great over ice cream or just saved in a jar in the fridge for garnish of whatever you make with the vodka. Being saturaed with ethanol, if you don't let them dry out, they should keep at least a little while.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So I put the other half of my brett beer on strawberries a bit ago and kind of forgot.
It looks super gross now hahaha.

How long do you think I should leave it on the fruit? I think its been 2 weeks at least.

E: VV Aaaaand back in the corner it goes.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 5, 2013

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

How long do you think I should leave it on the fruit? I think its been 2 weeks at least.

Maybe another 3 or 4 weeks? FERMENT ALL THE SUGARSSSSS

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fluo posted:

I've never done a SMaSH yet. I was thinking of doing one with Maris Otter and one of the experimental hops (CF107 (Keyworth).

I'll most likely do this a couple of days after I've done the Mish Mash as the new grain order should arrive by then. Is there any tips for doing a SMaSH beer or is it pretty much the same as doing most brews you're just using 1 malt and 1 hop?

When I did my SMaSH I did it the exact same way as any other beer. The recipe was stupid simple:

10 lbs Belgian 2-Row
0.5 oz HBC-342 @ 30
0.5 oz HBC-342 @ 10
1 Packet Danstar Belle Saison

And it fermented crazy fast. Took the 90F garage like a champ, and the end result was this incredibly funky concoction that tasted amazing when you added a lime wedge. A true summer beer.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

So I put the other half of my brett beer on strawberries a bit ago and kind of forgot.
It looks super gross now hahaha.

I'd say between 2weeks to 4weeks, but being strawberries I'd personally just say 2weeks because all the books I've read on fruit beers says strawberries are the fruit that has to be drank at the youngest compared to other fruit. Proest tip I can give however is rack into another carboy for a week or so to let the little bits settle. I skipped that part on my raspberry beer and just tried to filter it with a nylon bag, ended up clogging up my little bottler on my bottling bucket. :negative:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When I did my SMaSH I did it the exact same way as any other beer. The recipe was stupid simple:

10 lbs Belgian 2-Row
0.5 oz HBC-342 @ 30
0.5 oz HBC-342 @ 10
1 Packet Danstar Belle Saison

And it fermented crazy fast. Took the 90F garage like a champ, and the end result was this incredibly funky concoction that tasted amazing when you added a lime wedge. A true summer beer.

Awesome! :D Cheers, I'll most likely be doing it sometime next week. Will report back then and yeah the recipe is so simple I didn't know if there was anything else. Excited to try out the CF 107 as its said to be citrus/blackberry aroma. :D

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 5, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fluo posted:

Proest tip I can give however is rack into another carboy for a week or so to let the little bits settle. I skipped that part on my raspberry beer and just tried to filter it with a nylon bag, ended up clogging up my little bottler on my bottling bucket. :negative:

I learned that lesson HARD when I racked my raspberry beer into my keg...
...And continuously clogged it.
:negative:

I brewed a super simple hoppy wheat for my Ultimate tournament this past weekend and it went over like gangbusters.
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/tournament-beer
It was so fun to have tons of random people drinking your beer and talking about how "Someone made this?! Its so good!" ...right next to you.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Roundboy posted:

Hey Marshmallow Blue

Back in the day whilst helping with my foray into mead, you expressed interest in trading a bottle around. Still interested? I got 12oz, 22oz, and 750ml wine bottles to pass out of my vanilla blueberry mead (Conan the Blueberrian)

Offer stands for anyone else with mead that wants to sample other kinds.

Where are you living again? For things I'm proud enough to share I have

12oz and 750ml of Bochet
12oz Strawberry Currant hydromel
750ml and 12oz oaked three honey traditional (coming soon)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Amber Sweet posted:

You may or may not be aware that there's an entire fairly-large thread on liquor infusion here in GWS (not that I don't think someone here could answer your question):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440248&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

ZIGfried posted:

Looking for some home made stir plate help for the electronically impaired.
You'll probably get more help in the Electronics Megathread, if you haven't already found it.

I will say that if you have any experience soldering at all, it's worth looking up how to build a PWM controlled stirplate. Just using a rheostat/potentiometer I couldn't get mine to reliably spin slowly enough (and I used the 5kΩ version of what you have).

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Just getting around to posting my experience from this weekend during my guild's Learn To Homebrew Day event.

Decided on making a dark saison/saison de noel with the huge amount of 3711 that I've been keeping in mason jars for a few weeks. I used this second generation on a witbier last week and it had already took a high temp mash down to 1.005 in 6 days, so pretty sure it's gonna go alright in the end, but...

It was a brew day wrought in peril. I can't really transport my AG setup so I borrowed a buddy's 10 gallon cooler MLT and relied on him to bring the necessary items required for mashing. He didn't really bring much other than the cooler. It's cold and rainy, things are sort of going according to plan... then: broken propane tank (the open/close valve literally malfunctioned and broke off in my hand) and forced us to pack up as fast as we could and drive the mash after a 75 minute Sacc rest back to my garage 30 minutes away. As I had never done batch infusions before, I attempted to fly sparge the cooler with 168 degree water... only collected about 4 gallons of super high OG wort, added more water than called for in the sparge hoping to collect more runnings. Wound up getting about 6.5 gallons of wort to start boiling down.

Boil off rate much higher than expected. Took refractometer reading halfway through, 1.089, poo poo.... my OG was supposed to be 1.069!

Added about 2 gallons of water to the boil with about 30 minutes left, won't get great hop utilization, but no big deal, Magnum as bittering was a really intense choice to begin with.

Finished with about 4.25 gallons of 1.087 wort in the primary. First time using a bucket for fermentation, there was some scum in the bottom from cleaning solutions: super cleaned it, should be good... hopefully.

It's been steadily and successfully fermenting since Sunday morning, so I'm feeling a bit better about it. However, I totally felt like I was learning how to brew all over again!

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 5, 2013

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Blinded by low prices, I inadvertently bought a bunch of cider without checking fine print on the label for preservatives (yeah yeah some of us learn the hard way) and now have a primary full of cider that I thought was totally inert. I come home from work a week after pitching the yeast to find the airlock tweaked and bubbling ever so slowly and now I'm wondering if I should still dump this batch or buy another primary and see if this one finishes. Is there any point in trying to finish this batch off and if so; what if I plan on back-carbonating, as I imagine the K-sorbate completely bones things here?

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Shame Boner posted:

Blinded by low prices, I inadvertently bought a bunch of cider without checking fine print on the label for preservatives (yeah yeah some of us learn the hard way) and now have a primary full of cider that I thought was totally inert. I come home from work a week after pitching the yeast to find the airlock tweaked and bubbling ever so slowly and now I'm wondering if I should still dump this batch or buy another primary and see if this one finishes. Is there any point in trying to finish this batch off and if so; what if I plan on back-carbonating, as I imagine the K-sorbate completely bones things here?

Take a gravity measurement. It could just be that whatever yeast you used is shy and didn't want to make a bunch of noise bubbling away, unlike that weirdo 3787.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Haven't made a batch in forever and am just getting back in the game. I'm looking at making a Brett Rye Saison - my plan is to pitch a saison yeast for a few days, and then drop the brett in to let it finish the job.

Can anyone take a look at my plan and let me know if I'm overlooking anything?

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/brett-rye-saison-4

Added the rye and wheat to try and bolster the body. I'm not married to the hop choices - any kind of noble hops would do it for me too.

How long do you think i'll need to let the brett work for?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Marshmallow Blue posted:

12oz and 750ml of Bochet

I want in on this, I have 750's of Orange mead.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Holy gently caress, I understand what rhino farts are now. I pitched one vial of wlp775 in my cider and the entire room smells like an airport bathroom. Are rhino farts a bad sign or does it not mean anything at all?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

Holy gently caress, I understand what rhino farts are now. I pitched one vial of wlp775 in my cider and the entire room smells like an airport bathroom. Are rhino farts a bad sign or does it not mean anything at all?

Welcome to sulfur city. I'm still trying to get the farts out of my cider. :smith:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Marshmallow Blue posted:

12oz and 750ml of Bochet

I'm living in pa,outside philly. And I really have no preference since I didn't end up making a strawberry since i missed the season.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

E-Money posted:

Haven't made a batch in forever and am just getting back in the game. I'm looking at making a Brett Rye Saison - my plan is to pitch a saison yeast for a few days, and then drop the brett in to let it finish the job.

Can anyone take a look at my plan and let me know if I'm overlooking anything?

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/brett-rye-saison-4

Added the rye and wheat to try and bolster the body. I'm not married to the hop choices - any kind of noble hops would do it for me too.

How long do you think i'll need to let the brett work for?

Looks great! I made a saison very similar this over the summer and it turned out awesome (I waited 3-4 days to pitch the brett but I honestly don't think it would have made any difference if I pitched it at 2). And yeah, I just buy "whatever noble hops are on sale in bulk" for my saisons/sours/most Belgians.

Only thing that I hate about these calculators is how optimistic they are about final gravity. With that yeast combo there's absolutely no chance your beer is going to finish above 1.002 no matter what you do.

e: Mine was drinkable at 1 month from brewday (2 weeks in the bottle) but it hit its peak at around 2 months from brewday. Might have gotten better but ... no one will ever know.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 6, 2013

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Shame Boner posted:

Does it say what kind of preservative? I did an apple wine two years ago and I could only get grocery store cider that had k-sorbate in it. It will usually say what percentage too (I think .1 or .01% it's pretty drat low).

Anyway, k-sorbate is a reproductive inhibitor for yeast, it doesn't actually prevent the alcohol productive aspects. For my apple wine I used 4 packets of champagne yeast and a bunch of nutrient and it actually did end up having it reproduce, there was a plenty thick cake on the bottom. K-sorbate becomes more effective as alcohol increases too.

Take all this advice with a grain of salt, it's mostly anecdotal internet knowledge and my one time experience with cider that already had k-sorbate.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Hate to xpost but this was too good of a label not to share:

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

fullroundaction posted:

Looks great! I made a saison very similar this over the summer and it turned out awesome (I waited 3-4 days to pitch the brett but I honestly don't think it would have made any difference if I pitched it at 2). And yeah, I just buy "whatever noble hops are on sale in bulk" for my saisons/sours/most Belgians.

Only thing that I hate about these calculators is how optimistic they are about final gravity. With that yeast combo there's absolutely no chance your beer is going to finish above 1.002 no matter what you do.

e: Mine was drinkable at 1 month from brewday (2 weeks in the bottle) but it hit its peak at around 2 months from brewday. Might have gotten better but ... no one will ever know.

Thanks! That's really helpful. I had upped the calculation to 90% attenuation (the stock was 80) but maybe i'll crank it to more accurately represent how hungry Brett is, and tweak everything else to match.

Did you pick up the horse blanket funk with that amount of time in the bottle? I see a lot of differing reports about how long brett takes to develop those characteristics.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I recently just bought my first house and I've gained permission from the wife to be to put a kegerator in the kitchen provided that A. it looks nice and B. I can mount the tap handle on top of a counter top so it's somewhat built in. We have a nook in our house that was supposed to be for a "desk" area, but the builder wanted way too much for the cabinetry/countertop and also they had upper cabinets that I didn't want, so I'm going to order cabinets on my own to fit around the kegerator and do a butcher block countertop which should make it easy to drill a hole to run the lines for the tap. Has anyone done something similar in their kitchen that they have any advice on? I plan to put some kind of insulated collar around the hole to make sure that space stays cold. I also read that unless you get a kegerator specifically for built in purposes that you need to leave a couple inches on each side for air circulation, which sounds like a good idea.

I'm hoping that I can find a place doing some black friday sales in a few weeks on kegerators. Right now it seems like Beverage Factory is one of the better retailers. Are there any other ones I should be looking at? This will be my first experience kegging at all so if there are any things I might want to consider adding that anyone has any advice on that would be awesome too, i.e. upgraded faucets (perlick), gauges, etc. Right now from my limited research I'm liking the Kegco 309SS dual tap unit, largely because it has a big temperature range so I could possibly use it to lager in if I wanted to as well.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 6, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

E-Money posted:

Did you pick up the horse blanket funk with that amount of time in the bottle? I see a lot of differing reports about how long brett takes to develop those characteristics.

I was repitching a very hefty amount of brett from a previous "all brett" saison that we made, so it presented very quickly. I don't have much experience with brett straight from the lab, strangely.

This is The Best Thing.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Does it say what kind of preservative?

Yeah, it's k-sorbate but it did not indicate the percentage. It's definitely fermenting albeit verrrrry slowly, and there's a raft of yeast sitting on the surface, which I've never seen happen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Depending on the yeast/price, you might just wanna dump an extra packet in, overall, you'll probably be ok, but it may take an extended aging period once the bulk of fermentation is done.

:Edit: also dump more yeast sooner rather then later, k-sorbate gets more effective as a preservative as alcohol increases. Wine brewers/forums probably have more data, but if I remember correctly, that's how I learned about the finer points, since wine making uses it much more frequently then brewers.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 6, 2013