Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The layout is terrible and confusing, at least on the WSJ site proper. This page should have all of the back issues, if that's what you mean. There was a bonus OPM chapter in the October 28 (I think this is the one you want) and the most recent, Nov 4 issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
so there's not going to be any more scanlation site updates? All of it's been licensing locked up? :(

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Ah, I think I see the problem, I'm being auto-directed to the app store page since I'm outside the US. so the only way to get issues is through the app...which makes it impossible to get specific issues because the 'store' consists of the latest one, the banner ad and nothing else... so there's that.

Guess I'll just hope that it gets uploaded anyway at this stage, I'm happy to keep a subscription going for future chapters but not being able to buy this one issue is really frustrating.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
So because it's now for sale in the US, I can't read it any longer in the UK? And because I'm outside the US I can't even buy it if I wanted to? That's not good. :(

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ak Gara posted:

So because it's now for sale in the US, I can't read it any longer in the UK? And because I'm outside the US I can't even buy it if I wanted to? That's not good. :(

Wut? International Jump is available in the UK. You'll need an Android or iOS device, though: Viz won't do online readers for some dumb reason.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Delusibeta posted:

Wut? International Jump is available in the UK. You'll need an Android or iOS device, though: Viz won't do online readers for some dumb reason.

I tried to download the app but it wasn't available in my region. Looks like Malaysians are screwed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Delusibeta posted:

Wut? International Jump is available in the UK.

Awesome, there's probably some other neat stuff in there. Probably look into it later toda-

quote:

You'll need an Android or iOS device, though: Viz won't do online readers for some dumb reason.

...Oh. :saddowns:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I just hope they do a volume release of OPM, since I prefer to purchase my manga in that format anyway and I still have a few cubic feet in my house not taken up with WSJ volumes.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dragonatrix posted:

Awesome, there's probably some other neat stuff in there. Probably look into it later toda-

...Oh. :saddowns:

For some absolutely daft reason, the only place you can buy Viz's stuff digitally in the UK (outside of their Jump iOS and Android apps) is the Nook store. Don't ask me why. Nor should you ask why Viz doesn't make their Reader app and range available over here.

At the very least, Nook has been aggressively price-cutting their stuff: you can get a Nook HD for £80, for example. For a sub-£100 tablet, it's pretty good.

[Edit] And another thing: why hasn't Viz released OPM in volume form, even digitally?

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 5, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I am in the UK. I have a laptop and nothing else. Should I just stop reading this thread?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
We could always read the ONE version, at least until there's a proper option for us. Talking about where to get this version might border on filez now it's buyable. (even though they won't let us buy it)

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Sometimes I wish the international anime/manga industry really did just die after the 90s. :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Raku posted:

Sometimes I wish the international anime/manga industry really did just die after the 90s. :(

It's worse than dying because everything goes into licensing hell eventually and gets stuck in that "well the Americans get it so gently caress you!" limbo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So what I can find is that there is no way to read (new) OPM unless you subscribe to jump? Did scanlator's just drop off the truck?

edit: time to unsubscribe to this thread then. I like this enough to read it, but not enough to pay a single cent for it. Sorry Murata.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 6, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hmm I don't think so. I checked around one of the scanlator blogs and it's just going to take him a bit longer. Apparently the chapter got delayed in Japan with ONE (the orginal author) explaining why.

It got pushed to november.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Don't pirate licensed manga.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man I was looking forwards to more Saitama, but I'm not going to subscribe just to read this.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 6, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Stop talking about pirating licensed manga. You aren't being forced to support Murata for making this comic, or buy into Viz's crappy app, but you can at least not break our rather simple rules and not talk about it.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
I wish there's a way to send Murata and ONE money to read their works instead of having to deal with this corporate mumbo jumbo as they try to shovel more poo poo we don't want at us.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Another Special Bonus Chapter came out in today's Jump. Saitama get's his toughest job yet, tracking down the cute little Torako. Marvel as a being appears who is actually able to harm the mighty Saitama.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If you sign up for Jump do you also get to read the previous chapters? Or only the ones that come out after you sign up?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

RatHat posted:

If you sign up for Jump do you also get to read the previous chapters? Or only the ones that come out after you sign up?

The latter, sadly, and Viz has yet to start selling the back catalogue anywhere, so you're basically going to have to jump in without knowing what's what or spend a weekend enjoying some :filez:.

It's kinda dumb, considering digital manga versions of the older chapters is basically free money for Viz once they get any additional licensing nailed down, especially considering Nisekoi is onto it's sixth digital volume.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 19, 2013

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is that a dollar per issue...? That might be a palatable price point for me, even if it's only to read OPM

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Relin posted:

Is that a dollar per issue...? That might be a palatable price point for me, even if it's only to read OPM

That's the one good thing about International Jump, it's drat cheap. You'll genuinely stuggle to find a cup of coffee for less than the £1.91/month it charges for a subscription over here in the UK. For context, 2000AD is £2 a week digitally.

Do note that they have caught up with the Japanese release, and hence will be publishing them fortnightly from now on.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 19, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm kinda miffed that you can read English translations online but there's no Japanese equivalent! :argh:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

AnonSpore posted:

I'm kinda miffed that you can read English translations online but there's no Japanese equivalent! :argh:

...isn't it a webcomic?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Delusibeta posted:

...isn't it a webcomic?

These special chapters are published in magazines in Japan, so they aren't available online. Same goes for the one with Saitama in the police station and the chapter with the fan demon where Tatsumaki/Tornado and Fubuki/Blizzard show up for the first time in Murata's version.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

AnonSpore posted:

These special chapters are published in magazines in Japan, so they aren't available online. Same goes for the one with Saitama in the police station and the chapter with the fan demon where Tatsumaki/Tornado and Fubuki/Blizzard show up for the first time in Murata's version.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :downs: I suppose you have the advantage of, y'know, buying the magazines in question that we (outside of the six or so countries that Viz sells International Jump in, and then only to folks who have tablets) can't (without paying through the nose in shipping).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Delusibeta posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :downs: I suppose you have the advantage of, y'know, buying the magazines in question that we (outside of the six or so countries that Viz sells International Jump in, and then only to folks who have tablets) can't (without paying through the nose in shipping).

Trust me, if I still lived in Japan I'd go out and read the chapters standing up in a convenience store buy the magazines but sadly I'm not. Oh well, I suppose it'll be included with the volume releases sooner or later.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

AnonSpore posted:

Trust me, if I still lived in Japan I'd go out and read the chapters standing up in a convenience store buy the magazines but sadly I'm not. Oh well, I suppose it'll be included with the volume releases sooner or later.

Probably.

Hey, at least you can read the volume releases. We English speaking folk get squat. :v:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah the subscription's very cheap and you get One Piece, Naruto, Toriko, color Dragonball Z and OnePunch man (plus a couple of manga I haven't heard of before and have yet to grab me). I'm glad I can finally pay for the English versions!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I can't read anything because I'm a filthy mexican :mexico:
is the same thing with Crunchyroll new manga service :smith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Delusibeta posted:

That's the one good thing about International Jump, it's drat cheap. You'll genuinely stuggle to find a cup of coffee for less than the £1.91/month it charges for a subscription over here in the UK. For context, 2000AD is £2 a week digitally.

Do they have a web app? I've got an iPhone but the screen is far too small for reading manga on

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yes you can read it online instead of using an app.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Gyges posted:

Yes you can read it online instead of using an app.

If you're in the US only, for some incredibly dumb reason.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Delusibeta posted:

From what I've heard, Japanese media companies tend to make inconvenient demands of licensors. Stuff like having to license and print terrible, not very saleable titles along with the actually decent ones the licensors wanted. That kind of thing was responsible for the previous glut of mediocre manga in bookstores. Similarly they've been pretty conservative about digital distribution (not that this isn't a common trend with media companies, Japanese or not). So, yeah, if it's only available in the US, it's probably because of some international rights holdup or similar issues.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
So as a UK dweller with no smartphone/tablet, I'm poo poo out of luck?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Delusibeta posted:

Wait, really? I thought it was all of North America.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Fatkraken posted:

So as a UK dweller with no smartphone/tablet, I'm poo poo out of luck?

Pretty much, yeah. Thankfully, tablets are getting pretty drat cheap these days (I have a Nook HD which cost £80. Has access to Google Play, so it does the job).

RatHat posted:

Wait, really? I thought it was all of North America.

Don't know about Canada, tbh. It's certainly not available in Europe, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Delusibeta posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Thankfully, tablets are getting pretty drat cheap these days (I have a Nook HD which cost £80. Has access to Google Play, so it does the job).

Don't know about Canada, tbh. It's certainly not available in Europe, that's for sure.
I'm in Canada and I can buy it online.