Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Iacen posted:

Seeing as we do this, I have Molly as the drawing Tim Buckley plagarized. (I can't picture her blond, dunno why)
Ebeneezer is Brian Blessed.

Bruce Willis as Mac is amazing, though. Fantastic image!

Does anyone have a good Michael or Thomas?

Thomas is a French version of Neil Patrick Harris from HIMYM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Just finished rereading Turn Coat. Thankfully, I've got other stuff to interpose in my reading schedule while I decide if I can handle reading Changes again.

Speaking of Turn Coat, I swear, the naagloshii/Listens to Wind shapeshifter battle might be my favorite action sequence in the whole series.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I love Noel Fielding, but he isn't nearly handsome enough.

Stuart Townsend?

For some reason, when I started reading the books I pictured Murphy as a blonde Lisa Edelstein and that's how it's stuck in my brain now.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Don't know why, but lately Jeremy Irons is EB for me I guess because he ends up in every fantasy movie anymore.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Eb's Tommy Lee Jones for me.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

EB = Jeff Bridges. :colbert:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Ebenezar is Brian Cox or Albert Finney.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Iacen posted:

Seeing as we do this, I have Molly as the drawing Tim Buckley plagarized. (I can't picture her blond, dunno why)
Ebeneezer is Brian Blessed.

Bruce Willis as Mac is amazing, though. Fantastic image!

Does anyone have a good Michael or Thomas?

Thomas is Tom Hiddleston.

Michael...Maybe Viggo Mortenson? Never thought about this one too much.

The thread is in full agreement that Nathan Fillion is Dresden right?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

pseudonordic posted:

Ebenezar is Brian Cox or Albert Finney.

Dietrich posted:

EB = Jeff Bridges. :colbert:

VanSandman posted:

Eb's Tommy Lee Jones for me.

Oroborus posted:

Don't know why, but lately Jeremy Irons is EB for me I guess because he ends up in every fantasy movie anymore.

I can see all of these.

Hixalot posted:

Thomas is Tom Hiddleston.

Michael...Maybe Viggo Mortenson? Never thought about this one too much.

I always kind of imagined Michael as Liam Neeson.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hixalot posted:

Actually I think Paul Blackthorne made a great Dresden apart from the short hair.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I always kind of thought of Harry as a (much, much, much) taller Robert Downey Jr.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I can see all of these.

I always kind of imagined Michael as Liam Neeson.

Liam and Viggo are both a bit too hard-edged. Michael might be a Fist-Of-God but he's also a down to earth guy who rocks his babies to sleep before cutting Vampires in half.

Mandy Patinkin.

Drawing a blank on a Charity, though.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Michael is Richard Karn. Flannel is already included in the package.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I finished Dead Beat. It was all right. Favorite part of book was Butters. Wasn't all that impressed with Sue. I can see why people like it so much, though. Not my favorite.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I love Noel Fielding, but he isn't nearly handsome enough.

Thomas is clearly Matt Bomer. Or maybe John Morrison.

As for Michael, anyone saying anything other than Bob Villa is clearly insane.

Dietrich posted:

Drawing a blank on a Charity, though.

Blonde Charisma Carpenter. It's right there in the name!

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 5, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
John Barrowman for Thomas, perhaps?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My mind's eye has always constructed unique individuals for the Dresdenverse that are only influenced in passing by their descriptions.

The only exception to this is Butters who is a nerdy Toby Jones.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, Tilda has the first two, but she's not stunningly beautiful in the way Mab is described.
I've always imagined Mab as Olivia Wilde.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I always think of Mab from that old Merlin miniseries from the 90s. That was my first introduction to the character so that's where I go when I hear the name.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

404GoonNotFound posted:

Thomas is clearly Matt Bomer.

Done!

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Re-watching the tv show because I'm bored, and I have to say Paul Blackthorne is almost dead on for the actor. I wish the tv show would have gotten some steam, because it really isn't that bad compared to what is on tv now. I had fun comparing book to show. In the show, Bianca is a merger of Susan and book Bianca. Red and black courts exist, but the differences aren't explained. They did some leg work to do some world building, but never got to pay it off. I like to think of the show as an alternate universe version of Dresden. It's funny watching the early episodes of the show and thinking how comically easy it would be for contemporary Harry to get out of it. It's fun how the books do a good job of progressing Harry. In Fool Moon when he's trapped by tough werewolves, he's pretty much completely screwed if not for the intervention of his friends. If Cold Days Harry was in that situation, he could have hosed up all those guys easily. The only thing that has stayed the same is Harry's ego, poo poo talker to the end. Now he can back up his poo poo talking, before he had to scrape by on luck. It's still fun because he ends up finding himself in worse and worse situations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yay Pudding! posted:

Re-watching the tv show because I'm bored, and I have to say Paul Blackthorne is almost dead on for the actor. I wish the tv show would have gotten some steam, because it really isn't that bad compared to what is on tv now. I had fun comparing book to show. In the show, Bianca is a merger of Susan and book Bianca. Red and black courts exist, but the differences aren't explained. They did some leg work to do some world building, but never got to pay it off. I like to think of the show as an alternate universe version of Dresden. It's funny watching the early episodes of the show and thinking how comically easy it would be for contemporary Harry to get out of it. It's fun how the books do a good job of progressing Harry. In Fool Moon when he's trapped by tough werewolves, he's pretty much completely screwed if not for the intervention of his friends. If Cold Days Harry was in that situation, he could have hosed up all those guys easily. The only thing that has stayed the same is Harry's ego, poo poo talker to the end. Now he can back up his poo poo talking, before he had to scrape by on luck. It's still fun because he ends up finding himself in worse and worse situations.

I kind of want to try reconstructing the original show's script - they initially just did a hackjob by changing character names, so it seems like it'd be possible to recombine them.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

Tunicate posted:

I kind of want to try reconstructing the original show's script - they initially just did a hackjob by changing character names, so it seems like it'd be possible to recombine them.

I think the show basically did Storm Front and Fool Moon with some minor differences, then after that it went off the rails. It will never happen, but if HBO or Showtime decided to make a series out of this it would be loving awesome. Personally, I love how everyone consistently underestimates Harry, and then he drops the loving hammer. Hard. Harry is a guy that makes a point of maximizing comic booky bullshit to strategic effect. The way he does it is also great. He can be in an un-winnable situation and talk his way out of it. He is a max level poo poo talker, and that is a fun character to watch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yay Pudding! posted:

I think the show basically did Storm Front and Fool Moon with some minor differences, then after that it went off the rails. It will never happen, but if HBO or Showtime decided to make a series out of this it would be loving awesome. Personally, I love how everyone consistently underestimates Harry, and then he drops the loving hammer. Hard. Harry is a guy that makes a point of maximizing comic booky bullshit to strategic effect. The way he does it is also great. He can be in an un-winnable situation and talk his way out of it. He is a max level poo poo talker, and that is a fun character to watch.

I linked an interview with butcher a bit upthread. The gist of it is, they had a guy in charge who previously worked on DS9, and they had the scripts written up as a long continuous arc... then two weeks before production started, SyFy meddled, and suddenly Dresden TV was now being run by a guy from Charmed. Who decided that people didn't like plot arcs, and only wanted episodic poo poo. They protested that the scripts were already written but - not to be deterred - he just told them to change the names and castings.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Time certainly prove the Charmed producer right. Episodic television is all anyone watches now. Just look at Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones...

What an idiot

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

404GoonNotFound posted:

As for Michael, anyone saying anything other than Bob Villa is clearly insane.

Tom Hardy with makeup to cover the tats and add a few years

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Fried Chicken posted:

Tom Hardy with makeup to cover the tats and add a few years

Right face, right build (dude is ripped as hell) and a solid actor.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

pseudonordic posted:

For some reason, when I started reading the books I pictured Murphy as a blonde Lisa Edelstein and that's how it's stuck in my brain now.

Naomi Watts with short hair?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Iacen posted:

Having Googled him, sure, he actually could be Butters. My mental image has, for some reason, men Professor Norton Nimnul from REscue Rangers:

I've probably also made him both lower and more... fat than he might be.

But then again, while most goons picture Morgan as a black dude, I have a picture of him as a slightly older Frank Castle, so v:shobon:v

For some reason I imagine him as Mort from Family Guy, and I don't even watch Family Guy.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I always picture Butters as looking kind of like an older Seth Green, but with wiry black hair and a small beer belly.

Toot-toot, in my head, is an exaggerated caricature of Orlando Bloom as Legolas, but only a foot tall. Murphy looks kinda like a smaller Joey Lauren Adams.

Harry, Molly, Michael, and Thomas are all very clear in my imagination but gently caress if they really look like any actors I can think of. I can't stop thinking of Thomas as blond.

I assumed Mac was black until just now. No idea why, and I can't find a reference to it. I'll never get my image of him out of my head though.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Time certainly prove the Charmed producer right. Episodic television is all anyone watches now. Just look at Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones...

What an idiot

I'm one of the few people that liked the TV show, but aside from the points mentioned in the interview, I feel like Dresden just came out too early. The general viewing public has a larger appetite for fantasy/urban fantasy right now. I mean, we have two different Once Upon a Times, Grimm, Dracula, Sleepy Hollow on network TV. Syfy has Being Human, which is a serial story and seemed to be doing well. I think if what they had originally planned came out now, it would be pretty successful.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Murphy is Katee Sackhoff. No question in my mind.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My Harry is Nic Cage. Specifically, weirdly-buff Cage. You could see that man shirtless in person and think his head was photoshopped on. No-one takes him seriously until it matters.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Elfface posted:

My Harry is Nic Cage. Specifically, weirdly-buff Cage. You could see that man shirtless in person and think his head was photoshopped on. No-one takes him seriously until it matters.

Well then, you might be happy to know that this movie already exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2uV0_1C4UM

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Since Michael is always described as wearing flannel, jeans, and work boots my mind has substituted The Brawny Man for him. Butters seem to be portrayed as a nerdy neurotic Jewish stereotype (complete with nagging mother), so he has become Woody Allen.

I really liked the portrayal of TV show Harry and Murphy, so I've kept them in my mind (except with Harry taller and Murphy blonde).

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Just finished rereading Turn Coat. Thankfully, I've got other stuff to interpose in my reading schedule while I decide if I can handle reading Changes again.

Speaking of Turn Coat, I swear, the naagloshii/Listens to Wind shapeshifter battle might be my favorite action sequence in the whole series.

Oh man I just finished this yesterday and this one ends on some pretty sad notes. I hope things don't start to get all grim dark, the lightheartedness is what makes this series enjoyable for me.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lyer posted:

Oh man I just finished this yesterday and this one ends on some pretty sad notes. I hope things don't start to get all grim dark, the lightheartedness is what makes this series enjoyable for me.

AHAHAHAHAHA
Your next book is changes, you poor fool.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Lyer posted:

You definitely should start Changes as soon as possible. We'll be curious to know your thoughts.

:munch:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lyer posted:

Now this is something else. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Started on Changes and that's one hell of a way to start off a book.

• Locked thread