Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

Well that depends, how many times can you loop Mana Tithe? :q:

None. But why would I need to when I can cast Silence every upkeep? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

netcat posted:

I want to cast Death Cloud in Modern. How can I achieve this dream?

After Dark Ascension came out someone here posted a link to this deck that was apparently doing well. It looks like it has changed since I remember the original list (or at least the first time I saw it) had Gravecrawler.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wirecats-burning-vengeance-modern/.

It is tagged as being legacy but I don't see which cards in it aren't Modern legal, but I also don't follow Modern so maybe something in it banned.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

soscannonballs posted:

After Dark Ascension came out someone here posted a link to this deck that was apparently doing well. It looks like it has changed since I remember the original list (or at least the first time I saw it) had Gravecrawler.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wirecats-burning-vengeance-modern/.

It is tagged as being legacy but I don't see which cards in it aren't Modern legal, but I also don't follow Modern so maybe something in it banned.

AFAIK all of those cards are Modern legal.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
My first thought is to drop Give and Take for another Prime Speaker. Also, this deck seems like it kind of dies to sweepers, which you really may want to consider. A lot of your strategy seems to rely on creatures being on the board before making certain moves, which can mean it's easily disrupted by removal. When I'm not so tired, I'll give this deck some more consideration.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fish Of Doom posted:

So I'm trying to put together a standard simic deck mainly centered around +1 counters and Prophet of Krufix. I think there's a bit of fat to trim, and I'd love some help from people who are more experienced with constructed. The strategy is to put out the Experiment Ones and Cloudfin Raptors out early, then ramp up and evolve with Elvish Mystic and Sylvan Caryatids, putting out (and further evolving the 1 drops) Master Biomancers, Crowned Ceratoks, Prophets of Krufix, and the Hydras. Zegana, Bident, and Ordeal are there to help me draw cards so I can play more stuff with Prophet's ability. Vorel and Scavenging Ooze are mana sinks with all of the extra mana from Prophet. Simic Charm, Swan Song, and Dissolve are protection, and time to feed and curse of the swine are removal of my own (maybe replace with time ebb or voyage's end?) Maybe I should focus on more specific creatures and narrow down my list, or switch around my defense?

Deck: Simic Test

//Lands
2 Breeding Pool
11 Forest
10 Island
2 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
1 Bident of Thassa
1 Curse of the Swine
1 Dissolve
1 Give // Take
1 Ordeal of Thassa
2 Simic Charm
1 Swan Song
1 Time to Feed

//Creatures
2 Boon Satyr
2 Cloudfin Raptor
2 Crowned Ceratok
2 Elvish Mystic
2 Experiment One
2 Kalonian Hydra
2 Master Biomancer
2 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Prime Speaker Zegana
3 Prophet of Kruphix
2 Scavenging Ooze
3 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Vorel of the Hull Clade

Display deck statistics

Why no Bioshifts? I've seen tons of games won with that card.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
For one thing you're going to want full sets of Experiment One and Cloudfin Raptor. And I'm pretty sure any evolve based deck is going to want Renegade Krasis.

Crowned Ceratok is pretty cute but not something I think really needs.

I was actually going over cards to try and build list only to realise that I was making it mono-green since thats where all the good/cheap evolve guys and fatties are.

Look into adding Gyre Sage for more ramp though, and if you can get two more Kalonian Hydras that would probably help the deck. Polukranus, Eater of Worlds or Deadbridge Goliath can be a replacement.

Krosan Tusker is a good guy for early evolve triggers. Elvish Mystic is good for more ramp and I think Nylea, God of the Hunt can fill the same role as Crowned Ceratok does.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

Krosan Tusker is a good guy for early evolve triggers. Elvish Mystic is good for more ramp and I think Nylea, God of the Hunt can fill the same role as Crowned Ceratok does.

Kalonian Tusker :catstare:.

(Look I love Krosan Tusker but they're not gonna put Astral Slide and Lightning Rift in too).

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Veyrall posted:

Why no Bioshifts? I've seen tons of games won with that card.

I hadn't even considered bioshift. Seems like it could be good if one of my creatures is to be removed so I move the counters to something else last second. I'm not sure what I could replace with it, but it does seem like a good idea to keep my momentum going when something is removed.

Elephant Ambush posted:

My first thought is to drop Give and Take for another Prime Speaker. Also, this deck seems like it kind of dies to sweepers, which you really may want to consider. A lot of your strategy seems to rely on creatures being on the board before making certain moves, which can mean it's easily disrupted by removal. When I'm not so tired, I'll give this deck some more consideration.

Noted. I've been thinking of another Zegana and I'm probably already generating enough counters that I don't need a sorcery that just gives more, and Zegana certainly gives more cards. Removal is my biggest weakness, but I have counter spells and simic charms to deal with singular stuff, but I honestly have no idea what to do about Supreme Verdict other than to not dump my hand when playing against U/W decks and hope to quickly repopulate the board after it's happened.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Zoness posted:

Kalonian Tusker :catstare:.

(Look I love Krosan Tusker but they're not gonna put Astral Slide and Lightning Rift in too).

Woops. Well you know, Krosan Tusker is the best tusker but yeah, his little brother that is actually standard legal is what I meant. :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Hahaha you switched our usernames. :)

Fish Of Doom posted:

I hadn't even considered bioshift. Seems like it could be good if one of my creatures is to be removed so I move the counters to something else last second. I'm not sure what I could replace with it, but it does seem like a good idea to keep my momentum going when something is removed.

That's one option but most of the time I see people use it during combat. You swing with everything and then after they block you move the +1/+1 counters to whatever they didn't block. It's terrifyingly versatile for only 1 mana.

quote:

Noted. I've been thinking of another Zegana and I'm probably already generating enough counters that I don't need a sorcery that just gives more, and Zegana certainly gives more cards. Removal is my biggest weakness, but I have counter spells and simic charms to deal with singular stuff, but I honestly have no idea what to do about Supreme Verdict other than to not dump my hand when playing against U/W decks and hope to quickly repopulate the board after it's happened.

Yeah against Control you don't dump your hand ASAP and go all-in. You gotta play smarter.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Ah, apparently the Modern dredge deck I spent all of 10 minutes to think about and put together is a tourney deck. Gotta love modo. Deck's pretty fun though.

Deck: dredge

//Main
4 Bloodghast
4 Bridge from Below
3 Forest
4 Gravecrawler
2 Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
4 Life from the Loam
4 Nameless Inversion
4 Narcomoeba
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Stinkweed Imp
11 Swamp
4 Undercity Informer
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Zombie Infestation

Display deck statistics

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fish Of Doom posted:

You know who really likes Bioshift? Heroic dudes...:getin:

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DarkDobe posted:

Well I'll definitely look into Desecration Demon, and the Aetherizes I ought to have - though I think (foolishly) I might have traded off my foily set.
Thoughtseize is high on my 'must get' list.
How do you feel about Mutavault for the utility/plinking aspect? Worthwhile? I have one, and could get more with a little effort (and money).

I'm still undecided in regards to Syncopate - I know it's a lovely card to have in certain setups, but I'm debating dropping it in favor of straight up removal.
Also been looking at Far//Away as a potential slot/replacement or an addition alongside Cyclonic and Devour Flesh, since they serve a similar purpose.

Slightly revised edition:

Deck: Dimir Test

Display deck statistics

I used to run a Dimir list similar to yours but used Thrill-Kill assassin as early aggro without the aetherlings, you need straight up counter spells if you are encountering control decks in the local meta. Spot removal won't do much against control or plains walkers. Far//Away is a very powerful card because you can use it defensively. There is also some hyjinks if you decide to go for more devotion and play Grey Merchant.

Mutavault is amazing, I only have one in my Dimir deck and I know if I had more I could have ended games much sooner.
edit: my list shows 4 but I only have one currently, I replaced them with a Nykthos and some guildgates.

I Won 5 drew 2 with this Dimir deck at FNM. It's a very grindy deck to play ; it performed really well but I'm not sure I want to play it again because nobody I played against was having any fun.

Three ratchet bombs in the mainboard absolutely ruined the White and R/G aggro decks I faced.
1st game was Grixis control, his deck was basically the same as mine but used Red Lightning Bolt type instants as spot removal instead of Black Terror effects. He was not using Ashiok but instead used Chandra to plink away. The game took forever and went to time as all my master of waves and prognostic sphinxes made it to the bottom of the deck.
2nd game was a relatively new player using a black devotion deck; it was a functional deck but missing some of the more expensive cards, I ended up locking him down and Ashioking his grey merchants and desecration demons.
3rd was R/G aggro. I had ratchet bombs in my opening hand both times, kept nuking his two drops and Ashioking decent creatures.
4th was a tactical draw, we both would get top 8.
5th was W/U Daxos control, he never got off the ground both times.
6th was a White Aggro deck, humans and pegasai. He pithing needled Ashiok right out of the gate but ratchet bomb kept him from getting too large of an army.
7th game would be against a G/B deck that probably would have beat me but something came up and he had to leave. I gave him the win for points and we split the packs.

Deck: Dimir Control

//Main
4 Watery Grave
4 Mutavault
4 Temple of Deceit
1 Dimir Guildgate
5 Swamp
7 Island
2 Prognostic Sphinx
4 Master of Waves
4 Syncopate
2 Essence Scatter
2 Devour Flesh
2 Doom Blade
1 Ultimate Price
3 Ratchet Bomb
2 Opportunity
2 Dissolve
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Domestication
4 Jace, Architect of Thought
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

//Sideboard
3 Wall of Frost
4 Tidebinder Mage
2 Negate
3 Thoughtseize
2 Pithing Needle
1 Jace, Memory Adept

Display deck statistics

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 4, 2013

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I played a really causal game at my friends' house Saturday with MurderGoats, and had a ton of fun.

I want to come back next month with a version of the standard deck I played for a bit before Theros that featured Notion Thief and Whispering Madness : http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lets-break-cipher/ :getin:

Being that I've only ever played standard, and I'm not constrained to standard-only cards at my friends' house, what might be some good additions/replacements to this deck?

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 5, 2013

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Reworked my B/G deck a bit:

Deck: Life Wasted- BUG

//Lands
14 Swamp
2 Forest
4 Breeding Pool
1 Temple of Deceit
1 Watery Grave
1 Golgari Guildgate

//Spells
3 Burst of Strength
2 Thoughtseize
1 Savage Surge
2 Putrefy
1 Hero's Downfall
4 Doom Blade
2 Pharika's Cure
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Grisly Spectacle
2 Sanguine Bond

//Creatures
2 Returned Phalanx
2 Gyre Sage
4 Desecration Demon
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4 Nightveil Specter
1 Pack Rat
1 Vraska the Unseen

//Sideboard
3 Duress
3 Dark Betrayal
1 Ultimate Price
3 Crypt Incursion
1 Pithing Needle
3 Fade into Antiquity
1 Lifebane Zombie

Display deck statistics

1. Desecration Demon and Returned Phalanx to evolve Gyre Sage for extra mana.
2. Sanguine Bond in conjunction with either Whip Of Erebos, Crypt Incursion, or Gray Merchant
3. Savage Surge and Burst Of Strength to keep Desecration Demon untapped.

For more Savage Surge/BoS's, I was thinking of taking out the Returned Phalanx's as they really add nothing, and replace the Gyre Sage's with either Elvish Mystic's or Voyagic Satyrs.

Thoughts? My LGS's next Standard FNM isn't until the last Friday of the Month, so I got time.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
I had today off work, and the final pieces of my MURDERGOATS v2.5 build arrived. I always thought it was going to be fun to play, but didn't realise EXACTLY how fun it was going to be until I sat down with the finished deck and fishbowled myself. I can see this working well around these parts.

I also sat down and tinkered with my white weenie deck. It now looks a bit like this:
20 Plains
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
3 Wingsteed Rider
3 Fabled Hero
3 Banisher Priest
4 Phalanx Leader
4 Favored Hoplite

3 Spear of Heliod
4 God's Willing
4 Battlewise Valor
4 Dauntless Onslaught
4 Ordeal of Heliod

Sideboard:
1 Wingsteed Rider
2 Serra Angel
4 Pacifism
4 Glare of Heresey
4 Brave the Elements

I'm pretty happy with the way the deck looks at the moment, apart from the sideboard - I still have no idea what to put into it exactly, thus the whole "just stuff I chucked in there" look (That's what it is, really). I could use some help with what to take out of there and what to put in it's place.

I think the strategy of the deck is pretty obvious: vomit your hand onto the table and turn guys sideways, swinging for the fences. It was pretty funny at the first FNM I played this deck. A lot of people I played against said that they simply did not expect an aggressive White deck to come out of the woodwork.

I am now getting to the point where I am wondering if I should continue to mould and shape this deck as it is, or take it apart and resurrect it as some sort of U/W heroic hijinx deck. Any thoughts?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm popping in because I have built a RDW based off someone that's been doing pretty well in dailies with them. Here's my current list:

19 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

2 Act of Treason
2 Burning Earth
2 Flames of the Firebrand
1 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Peak Eruption
2 Skullcrack

Now, from playing with it a few times, I've been thinking of taking down the amount of Magma Jets and putting in Firefist Strikers. 3 Mutavaults also might be too many. This particular decklist has done pretty well, but I'm not entirely sure with it. As for sideboarding, what exactly is best against the other matchups? I kind of get that Mortars are in against Frostburn Weirds and other 4 toughness creatures, and don't expect to overload it, but where would I want Flames in? Burning Earth I'm not impressed with and thinking of getting rid of them.

What do people think of the shocks as well?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

In RDW, Shock is almost always better than Magma Jet. Burning Earth ends up being worse than you want it to be almost all the time (even against the matchups where it's good).

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.
Just getting back into MTGO and starting fresh. I figure until I have a solid standard deck put together (I am debating black devotion or murdergoats) I bought some common/uncommon x4 playsets and have been playing pauper standard. It's been doing pretty well in casual games, but I want to see what you guys think of it as a tourney deck.

The idea is to generate card advantage with recursion tricks and CITP abilities. It feels like it needs some tweaking, but I'm not sure what all to do with it. Just about every card interacts with the others in some positive manner, and my removal/bounce is all recursive with archaeomancer. It's a little slow starting and I think I need something that buys time against aggro decks.

Deck: Standard Pauper BU

//Lands
4 Dimir Guildgate
8 Island
7 Swamp
3 Transguild Promenade
2 Unknown Shores

//Spells
4 Altar's Reap
4 Disperse
4 Liturgy of Blood
3 March of the Returned
2 Time Ebb

//Creatures
4 Archaeomancer
4 Basilica Screecher
3 Corpse Hauler
3 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
3 Keymaster Rogue
2 Mortus Strider

Display deck statistics

I didn't add my sideboard into the deck list, as I am still working on it, but so far I've been using 4 Dispel (for other blue decks or to handle lots of removal), 4 essence scatter to deal with aggro decks, 4 shrivel as a sweeper for token/weenie decks, and 3 duress to add additional hassle to other control decks.

Whatcha think?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Mikujin posted:

In RDW, Shock is almost always better than Magma Jet. Burning Earth ends up being worse than you want it to be almost all the time (even against the matchups where it's good).

Hm, I guess it's because it's the same damage for 1 mana? What do you think of the list in general? Are there any points that can use some work?

Lastly, how do you deal with Desecration Demon? I've only played against 2 mono B players, but once the demon hits the game is basically over for me unless they're so low I can just burn them out.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Man_alive posted:

I had today off work, and the final pieces of my MURDERGOATS v2.5 build arrived. I always thought it was going to be fun to play, but didn't realise EXACTLY how fun it was going to be until I sat down with the finished deck and fishbowled myself. I can see this working well around these parts.

It's incredibly fun. I might actually let some of my play group play it at FNM.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Captain Capitalism posted:

Hm, I guess it's because it's the same damage for 1 mana? What do you think of the list in general? Are there any points that can use some work?

Lastly, how do you deal with Desecration Demon? I've only played against 2 mono B players, but once the demon hits the game is basically over for me unless they're so low I can just burn them out.
Why don't you attack? It can only block (or 'block' if you don't mind the counter) one creature at a time. Even against monoblack you should still have more creatures than they have removal by a fair bit. Besides, why wouldn't you want to run a reckoner into it? Has that just never come up?

Side in act of treason too.

edit: and yeah, you have almost nothing besides burn and 1 drops to cast off of BTE, might want some firefist strikers or chainwalkers.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Firefist Striker?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Chandra's Phoenix if you've got burn or Chandra on board is great, Firefist Striker stops him from blocking your guys, and Reckoner gets a free pass to swing against them.

Alternatively, play a dude a turn and keep saccing them.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Looking for some possible advice, criticism, mocking, suggestions for my first ever EDH deck.

I played in a 5-6 casual multiplayer group of friends and we're thinking of going to our local LGS for Tuesday Night Commander. Obviously, I won't bore you with their decks and another friend of mine who's been playing TNC for 2 years told me he's never seen a Rafiq Bant Exalted there so I'd be the only one. I created an account at tappedout so here's my link. Feel free to kill me with brutal honesty of what to add, take out, etc.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rafiq-bant-exalted/

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Looking for some possible advice, criticism, mocking, suggestions for my first ever EDH deck.

I played in a 5-6 casual multiplayer group of friends and we're thinking of going to our local LGS for Tuesday Night Commander. Obviously, I won't bore you with their decks and another friend of mine who's been playing TNC for 2 years told me he's never seen a Rafiq Bant Exalted there so I'd be the only one. I created an account at tappedout so here's my link. Feel free to kill me with brutal honesty of what to add, take out, etc.

Replace Cancel with Dissolve or Dissipate, which are just better. Also tuck cards are super useful in EDH as they can remove commanders from play semi-permanently, so I'd consider Oblation, Hinder, and Spell Crumple. Swords to Plowshares over Divine Verdict if you have it.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm not sure how much you want people to hate you, but you could stand a few more targets for sovereigns of lost alara. You have a total of five auras in the deck. Consider things like daybreak coronet, eldrazi conscription (this one makes people a little upset, but whatever), and other things that make dudes huge. Ancestral mask and ethereal armor get better as you get more and more enchantments out.

Ardent plea gets you another exalted and might find you something else fun. I'm going to avoid listing all the other things with exalted, I'm pretty sure you can find them if you want. There are several more.

A few more fat dudes to wear these auras and swing could also be good, inkwell leviathan would be interesting since sovereigns don't target so you can drop auras on it anyhow. Drogskol reaver makes a frightening thing with some exalted/auras/whatever on it.

Silent arbiter gives you another dueling grounds effect, and to go along with your general trend of making things hard for your opponents to do, grand arbiter might not be bad.

You could also load up on good equipment, swords of this and that, jitte, etc. and run a stonehewer giant and stoneforge mystic to cheat them out.

For a comedy kill you can find a way to give the hydra omnivore infect and just hit everyone on the table with a ton of poison counters. Grafted exoskeleton will do this, there is also a blue control magic type enchantment that gives the creature you stole infect. Normal infect creatures will just make combat with you really annoying anyway.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Everyone else has had really good suggestions. You're going to want to have more stuff that helps you push through damage, so having more things that grant trample are going to be good for you (Nylea, God of the Hunt, Akroma's Memorial, Brawn, Primal Rage) and things that grant unblockability (Whispersilk Cloak, Sun Quan, Lord of Wu, Venser, the Sojurner). Vorrac Battlehorns can do both of those for you.

Clone effects can also be your friend, copying Sublime Archangel is hilarious and at worst you're getting a copy of the best creature on the board.

Drop Obelisk of Bant for Darkesteel Ingot or add it in if you need more mana rocks.

34 is too few lands, jump up to 36-38. Command tower is an absolute must and it's super cheap right now, and swapping out duals that always come in tapped with shocks is also a good (expensive) thing.

Things I would cut to make room for other stuff:
Avacyn's Pilgrim (sweet when it's in your opening hand but a sad sad topdeck)
All the auras that don't recur themselves (equipment is going to be better for you)
Soul of the Harvest (I'm not seeing a lot of ways to abuse this and you should be able to find much better draw engines in blue)
Worship (The "if" clause in there means that this can be a stone cold blank sometimes)

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

On the one hand, I probably wouldn't play game 2 against [cascade Restore Balance], life is too short. On the other hand, that sounds hilarious, what are you cascading off of? Could you put a list in the Brewhaus?

Modern Cascade Restore Balance: wow you must hate fun or something

Manabase:
4x simian spirit guide
4x fieldmist borderpost
4x wildfield borderpost
3x firewild borderpost
3x mistvein borderpost
2x veinfire borderpost
2x evolving wilds
2x terramorphic expanse
2x plains
2x island
1x swamp
2x mountain
1x forest

Cascaders:
4x ardent plea
4x violent outburst
2x demonic dread
3x restore balance

Win conditions:
4x greater gargadon
2x nihilith
2x march of the machines

Other spells:
2x blood moon
2x beast within
3x court hussar

Sideboard:
1x restore balance
1x riftwing cloudskate
2x ingot chewer
2x boom//bust
2x mistveil plains
2x patrician's scorn
2x aura of silence
3x ricochet trap

The deck would be improved by an Idyllic Tutor toolbox or either Tezzeret; the way I've built it is more a consequence of how much I was willing to spend on a deck that most people wouldn't find very fun. I'm also running Court Hussars over Thieves' Fortune, which was a choice that I think has paid off, though there are advantages to either.

There's a really good primer here, which also includes a (more expensive but probably better) version without the borderposts which can't Armageddon as reliably.

e: someone on the most recent page of the mtgs thread has a interesting-looking WU miracles build that I think I might try out.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 6, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

a dozen swans posted:

Modern Cascade Restore Balance: wow you must hate fun or something

I heard about this deck a few weeks ago and I pretty much have to build it; it's somehow even cheaper than Living End and without having to worry about graveyard hate. :psyduck: Not to mention Balance is one of my favorite cards ever, so a deck built around essentially playing one at -will or even instant-speed.

Thanks for the list, I like some of the choices here and might make it my list to build towards.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, I'm thinking I'm going to give MURDERGOATS! 2.5 a rest this friday. I have everything for Turtelwald's RDW except two reckoners and an ash zealot. Aside from adding two more shocks, what would you recommend changing to get it up to 60 cards? It's a modern night, but I don't have much modern except for Scars of Mirrodin to now.

I mean, it's either that, or looking through what I have to see what I can change in Maze's End Fog.

Links are below:

RDW

Maze's End Fog

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

qbert posted:

Replace Cancel with Dissolve or Dissipate, which are just better. Also tuck cards are super useful in EDH as they can remove commanders from play semi-permanently, so I'd consider Oblation, Hinder, and Spell Crumple. Swords to Plowshares over Divine Verdict if you have it.

I'll definitely have to check into those two counters over Cancel. I do believe I have Dissipate but I'll have to go through my one binder. Would something like Condemn be better than Swords? I realize S2P gets the commander off the board but if their mana base is high enough they can just recast him anyway, I'd rather Condemn him to the bottom of their library instead of exiling + lifegain.

Olothreutes posted:

I'm not sure how much you want people to hate you, but you could stand a few more targets for sovereigns of lost alara. You have a total of five auras in the deck. Consider things like daybreak coronet, eldrazi conscription (this one makes people a little upset, but whatever), and other things that make dudes huge. Ancestral mask and ethereal armor get better as you get more and more enchantments out.

Ardent plea gets you another exalted and might find you something else fun. I'm going to avoid listing all the other things with exalted, I'm pretty sure you can find them if you want. There are several more.

A few more fat dudes to wear these auras and swing could also be good, inkwell leviathan would be interesting since sovereigns don't target so you can drop auras on it anyhow. Drogskol reaver makes a frightening thing with some exalted/auras/whatever on it.

Silent arbiter gives you another dueling grounds effect, and to go along with your general trend of making things hard for your opponents to do, grand arbiter might not be bad.

You could also load up on good equipment, swords of this and that, jitte, etc. and run a stonehewer giant and stoneforge mystic to cheat them out.

For a comedy kill you can find a way to give the hydra omnivore infect and just hit everyone on the table with a ton of poison counters. Grafted exoskeleton will do this, there is also a blue control magic type enchantment that gives the creature you stole infect. Normal infect creatures will just make combat with you really annoying anyway.

BXCX posted:

Everyone else has had really good suggestions. You're going to want to have more stuff that helps you push through damage, so having more things that grant trample are going to be good for you (Nylea, God of the Hunt, Akroma's Memorial, Brawn, Primal Rage) and things that grant unblockability (Whispersilk Cloak, Sun Quan, Lord of Wu, Venser, the Sojurner). Vorrac Battlehorns can do both of those for you.

Clone effects can also be your friend, copying Sublime Archangel is hilarious and at worst you're getting a copy of the best creature on the board.

Drop Obelisk of Bant for Darkesteel Ingot or add it in if you need more mana rocks.

34 is too few lands, jump up to 36-38. Command tower is an absolute must and it's super cheap right now, and swapping out duals that always come in tapped with shocks is also a good (expensive) thing.

Things I would cut to make room for other stuff:
Avacyn's Pilgrim (sweet when it's in your opening hand but a sad sad topdeck)
All the auras that don't recur themselves (equipment is going to be better for you)
Soul of the Harvest (I'm not seeing a lot of ways to abuse this and you should be able to find much better draw engines in blue)
Worship (The "if" clause in there means that this can be a stone cold blank sometimes)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely check into Darksteel Ingot and I didn't even know Eldrazi Conscription was a card but I'm buying that for sure! Worship has actually saved me in 2 games as well as having a Propaganda out with Sphere of Safety and having 3-4 other enchants active. Ardent Plea was in my deck but it turned into me milling good cards until I found one with CMC 3 or less so I pulled it out. I'm gonna do some card buying at the LGS and see how it turns out when we play again Monday.

I don't mind annoying my friends because they run some insane (to me) decks themselves but I did make them gasp last weekend because I got Rafiq out along with 4-5 other exalts and I was able to Darksteel Plate my Hydra Omnivore. So, I then dropped Artful Dodge on him and basically had a 14/14 unblockable Hydra with double strike (Rafiq), lifelink (Battlegrace Angel w/ Rhox Faithmender on the board) and lastly I had Finest Hour on the table so it was pretty much a wash. That felt awesome while getting astonished WHAT IN THE loving gently caress stares

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 6, 2013

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

I'll definitely have to check into those two counters over Cancel. I do believe I have Dissipate but I'll have to go through my one binder. Would something like Condemn be better than Swords? I realize S2P gets the commander off the board but if their mana base is high enough they can just recast him anyway, I'd rather Condemn him to the bottom of their library instead of exiling + lifegain.

Personally for EDH I do find that Condemn is better than Swords, but you already had Condemn in your decklist, which is why I didn't mention it. There's no reason not to also have Swords though, and it's just straight-up much better than Divine Verdict, which is why I suggested the switch.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

qbert posted:

Personally for EDH I do find that Condemn is better than Swords, but you already had Condemn in your decklist, which is why I didn't mention it. There's no reason not to also have Swords though, and it's just straight-up much better than Divine Verdict, which is why I suggested the switch.

True, I guess I just felt destroying an attacking commander was better than exiling him and giving an opponent life gain especially in EDH things can be pumped up to 20/20 or higher relatively quickly like a Hamletback or Primordial Hydra

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

True, I guess I just felt destroying an attacking commander was better than exiling him and giving an opponent life gain especially in EDH things can be pumped up to 20/20 or higher relatively quickly like a Hamletback or Primordial Hydra

Even in Commander, only costing 1 mana is a big deal. And there's creatures other than Commanders to worry about. And Path hits indestructible creatures. Path to Exile is arguably even better, for Commander.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I played a Bant exalted deck during the Alara/Zendikar era and did pretty well at FNM, I recently got back into magic, dug out the deck and had been paying it as a casual thing when I have a bye during FNM.
I want to get into Commander and just last night I was wondering if it would be possible to make an exalted/knights/angels themed EDH deck, but part of me wonders if the 'make big guys and swing in' gimmick of the deck can hold up against the strange things I'm seeing in the EDH group at my LGS.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

kzin602 posted:

...a Dimir list...

Have you considered Illness in the Ranks for anti-token sideboard tech? It's faster than Ratchet bomb, though admittedly less versatile & effective.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Thinking of bringing this to FNM the day after tomorrow. Thoughts? I feel like Banisher Priest should be in here somehow. Instead of Reconker?

Deck: Orzhov Aggro

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
9 Plains
3 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

//Spells
4 Brave the Elements
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
4 Blood Scrivener
4 Boros Elite
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Daring Skyjek
3 Imposing Sovereign
4 Judge's Familiar
4 Precinct Captain
3 Soldier of the Pantheon

//Sideboard
3 Glare of Heresy
3 Sin Collector
4 Pacifism
2 Ultimate Price
3 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Display deck statistics

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 6, 2013

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

qbert posted:

I replaced Condemn with Unexpected Absence, the situationalness of condemn makes it much less useful against decks where the commander isn't usually swinging in. I've been happy with it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I need some advice on this EDH deck I'm working on, with my new favorite commander, Nekusar. It's just a traditional bear hug deck, along with some discard outlets so my opponents will be damaged even more. I don't know if it's too gimicky though, and I'll be playing it against 4 other EDH decks I'm building from the pre-cons (Oloro, Rhoon, Prossh, and Marath), which I'll include later on for reception of how they are. Would this do well even without the whole draw-discard pain plan? Or does it need something else?

Deck: Nekusar the Papist

• Locked thread