Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It says nothing of the kind. All it says is that their relationship is unbreakable, that's it. Saying that they have an unbreakable relationship has nothing to do with whether she's a deuteragonist or not. I can kind of see how you'd figure she was one at the start, but if she ever was one she hasn't been one with a long, long time and I don't think Kubo ever really said she was supposed to be - though he may have done so in an interview I don't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Bach literally said he wasn't able to suppress all of Ichigo's power. Maybe zangetsu was his real shinigami powers materialized with quincy power just like their bows.

i don't think it even needs the Quincy power to materialize the sword. Asauchi are formed from "hollow like" artificial souls which are imbued with a Soul Reaper's reiatsu and bond to them. Ichigo bypassed this by having an *actual* hollow bond with his spiritual power. "White" then became Zangetsu and he didn't need an Asauchi. The manifested sword that he's been wielding since he recovered his true powers is the bit of Zangetsu that has leaked through the grasp of Bachgetsu (thus the "unfinished" appearance and it's continual changes as he accesses more of his power)

Bachgetsu aspect is still a part of his overall "spiritual power" and thus was summoned during his Bankai training as the dominant aspect. After achieving (partial?) Bankai enough of his Soul Reaper/Hollow power came through to make it the dominant personality. The only direct Quincy power we've seen Ichigo use is Blut Vein (drawn explicitly only recently, and can be inferred during the SS arc fight with Zaraki)

Ichigo only needed to select a new Asauchi in order to reforge Zangetsu. I'm guessing if it hadn't been broken in the first place Bachgetsu releasing his power would've resulted in the same dual sword/powerup

edit: thinking through this does make me curious about how the Zanpakuto spirits of the Vaizards changed when they were infected. Too bad we'll never find out.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 30, 2013

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

tsob posted:

Not really, considering all he managed in that fight was to scratch Byakyua if I recall. And while you can say that you can't think of a single situation in which he's useful I could say the same about a good chunk of the cast, including other supposed major characters like Chad and even yes, Rukia. Orihime is exempt, but only because she's useful as a healbot. Ishida would be on that list as well if he wasn't about to get a power up, but if the last arc and Chad are any indication, even that may not save him.

Yeah, but he would have been remembered as a guy who could have been Ichigo's rival for life, who cared so much about Rukia that he was one of the few shinigami to buck tradition and try and save her, even going as far as to suicide against a man he stood no chance against. It also spoke to Byakuya's terrifying power that he would strike down his subordinate without much thought.

Renji is hated because he loses almost every fight (as far as I remember), but Kubo keeps shoving him down our throats as Ichigo's rival and someone with potential. He gets more training arcs, more fights, and tons of screentime compared to much of the bloated cast. He has a boring, lovely bankai that 90% of the cast is fast enough to just outrun. Though that may be because he hasn't "realized it's power" or whatever. Maybe in it's real form the snake is just the tail of a giant bone baboon that shoots energy blasts and breaks apart into a storm of bone shards.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You could say much the same about a good chunk of the cast, outside perhaps the rival thing. Which honestly, I can't even remember the last time there was some kind of nod towards him being an apparent rival. Ishida gets more of that. If it's still there, it's a really minor thing that takes up no more than a few pages here and there at best. Now, you may be referring to the fact Kubo keeps trying to paint him as a great Shinigami, since that got some recent talk thanks to the visit to the King's Realm, but even that's a really minor thing overall, no more than a few pages in a sea of other problems at worst. You don't like his character, so it bugs you more, but that's true of any character in Bleach. You overlook or outright forgive the flaws in the characters you like more than the ones you dislike. Just pick your poison basically.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 30, 2013

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

seizure later posted:

I think you're misunderstanding that page. Shinji hasn't been blown apart; that's an explosion happening right in front of him / being shot at him. He hasn't been hit by it in that panel.

Oh... you're right. Well that's confusing why are you able to throw explosions :colbert:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Thoren posted:

Robo-quincy still in the game!

This was the best part. Go robot dude!
I hope he makes it, somehow.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
http://readms.com/r/bleach/555/2122/16

To me it looks like Ichigo is covering one eye (Kenpachi style?) and most of his face here. Is he just covering up a bit to block the wind since he is going crazy fast downwards, taking poo poo off, or.. what the hell? I feel dumb.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Knee posted:

To me it looks like Ichigo is covering one eye (Kenpachi style?) and most of his face here. Is he just covering up a bit to block the wind since he is going crazy fast downwards, taking poo poo off, or.. what the hell? I feel dumb.

Reminds me of the villian from the Hell movie.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

Knee posted:

I was under the impression that it was only for wind protection and to look cool in a panel.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I thought the consensus was that they were weighted and he just got rid of them hence the sudden burst of speed.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure he was just holding on to it so he didn't lose it when he got speedy.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Yea, who do we think he is, Neo? Only he could see the Matrix IRL!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Batmasterson posted:

I was under the impression that it was only for wind protection and to look cool in a panel.

Looking cool is the only reason anyone does anything in Bleach. Kenpachi's the exception, he does things to alleviate boredom.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
For a moment, when I saw it, I thought he was trying to pull a Kenpachi "covering a certain part of myself because I'm so hardcore, it would kill you if I didn't," type of thing. But nah. Suppose it was just cause he was about to go crazy-fast.

I don't think he removed it, I mean, he only just got it. He hasn't got to show anyone his new threads yet, before they all get blown up/torn off/morphed into a new form-like thing/bankai whatever.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Knee posted:

For a moment, when I saw it, I thought he was trying to pull a Kenpachi "covering a certain part of myself because I'm so hardcore, it would kill you if I didn't," type of thing. But nah. Suppose it was just cause he was about to go crazy-fast.

I don't think he removed it, I mean, he only just got it. He hasn't got to show anyone his new threads yet, before they all get blown up/torn off/morphed into a new form-like thing/bankai whatever.

Remember Ichigo's cloak gets ripped up as he loses reatsu, thus more cloaks = a higher limit on reatsu. Or something.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Isn't that only in bankai?

His Bankai surrounds him almost like a cloth armor. Byakuya made a point in SS arc to comment on his bankai, then once again the fullbringers mentioned the nature of it once they had his powers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mangapanda has their translation out:

http://www.mangapanda.com/bleach/556

Holy poo poo loving werewolf shinagami clans? Plus his awesome looking new bankai this issue was pretty loving metal :black101:

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Jiro posted:

Mangapanda has their translation out:

http://www.mangapanda.com/bleach/556

Holy poo poo loving werewolf shinagami clans? Plus his awesome looking new bankai this issue was pretty loving metal :black101:
Somehow I never thought of werewolves as an explanation of Komamura's look, but I'm pretty ok with it. His new bankai is pretty cool, too.

edit - oh yeah, and he ripped out his own loving heart. That is, indeed, metal as hell.

Graviija fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 6, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It figures that Ichigo and Hitsugaya are the only ones to not have a metal as hell training sequence.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mustache bankai. Manga redeemed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I guess that means doggie is gonna die once the battle is over?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Eej posted:

FLAMING EYEBALL MUSTACHE BANKAI! The most BULLY of bankais!

BULLY!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Every single time I feel like Bleach is dragging on, something :black101: like this comes along.

Upgraded Bankai is badass as hell. Not sure how accurate the romanization of the kanji is, but isn't Dangai the place between the human world and Soul Society that Ichigo trained in? Was also plesantly surprised that Hinamori didn't get stabbed.....yet.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

It figures that Ichigo and Hitsugaya are the only ones to not have a metal as hell training sequence.

To be fair Ichigo's powerup sequences have been pretty :black101:, there was the stuff when he started to hollow for the first time as well as the Ulq fight.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Oh Kubo. You always do something just ridiculous enough. :allears:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Man. And this is why I continue reading Bleach.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

How long until Ichigo is shown to be part werewolf?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SerSpook posted:

Man. And this is why I continue reading Bleach.
Yeah, and man does it ever look good when gives it a serious attempt.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Well that was certainly unexpected.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
he's a were-man

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Normally I'd be upset that shinji got taken out so quickly, bu the I suppose it makes sense with the girl turning him into a bomb.

Also, Komomura is a reverse werewolf, gently caress yeah.

Edit: Got to stop hitting the wrong button in the awful app. I keep quoting instead of spoilering.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 6, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

slev posted:

How long until Ichigo is shown to be part werewolf?

It only takes a bite or a scratch. You can do it Kurosaki, become everything!

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I know he is always such fodder, and isn't much for winning battles, but Kommamura has always been a favorite of mine. I remember seeing him at first being vastly taller and basket head and thought "this dudes got to be cool."

Then the basket is off, mind gets blown, bankai shows up, mind gets blown again. He even looked cool getting popped with Aizen's Black Coffin.

Now he disappears for a while, shows up with this armor, and now this?

Here's to hoping that in this form Tengen is more sentient and doesn't have to be controlled while Kommamura can double up on the enemy

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Totally called Bambietta's epitaph.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Kraus posted:

Totally called Bambietta's epitaph.

Considering the liberties Mangastream takes with translations, I'm surprised they kept the line as "with my The Explode". It just reads something horrible.

Then again, rest of the chapter makes up for it.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
I approve of this chapter

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

This is much cooler than a Cerberus-Komamura. Can't wait to see this new bankai in action.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah! He is become a man! :haw:

Mazel Tov!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eej posted:

Not just that, it's Genryusei Bankai. Personally I think it looks pretty awful and his old one was cooler, but hey, maybe this one will actually be effective instead of just cool looking at least. Also, I find it hilarious that Hinamori showed up literally just to be pushed aside and told she's useless. Countdown until she mention's Aizen-sama starting now. 3 chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

tsob posted:

Not just that, it's Genryusei Bankai. Personally I think it looks pretty awful and his old one was cooler, but hey, maybe this one will actually be effective instead of just cool looking at least. Also, I find it hilarious that Hinamori showed up literally just to be pushed aside and told she's useless. Countdown until she mention's Aizen-sama starting now. 3 chapters.

this before or after she gets stabbed by Tengen?

• Locked thread