Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The K-01 might be a good camera but holy poo poo is it an ugly brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

"At least no one will ever want to steal it", I still think to myself.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The black/silver model looks fine. It's one of the most comfortable feeling cameras I've held too.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I mostly shoot architecture and people I run across while out around town and the occasional macro stuff when I go hiking. I almost only shoot with primes as well.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Why is the silver (ugly) version of Olympus' 45 f1.8 so much cheaper than the black one? Huge ripoff imo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wengy posted:

Why is the silver (ugly) version of Olympus' 45 f1.8 so much cheaper than the black one? Huge ripoff imo.

Excuse me I think you mean the better looking one. :colbert:

IIRC it was only available in silver initially but they made a black one later by popular demand.

I bought one second hand recently and it is the silver one. My om-d is black but it actually looks really cool.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Wengy posted:

Becase olympus hates you and the rest of their customers. Olympus makes you pay for a lens hood separately.

Its a good lens though.

daspope fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 3, 2013

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

RustedChrome posted:

The black/silver model looks fine. It's one of the most comfortable feeling cameras I've held too.

What? No it's not, it's a box with a tiny stub of rubber for a "grip". I love the thing but it's not ergonomic.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How are the different mirrorless systems doing in terms of getting notable photographers to ditch Canikon? I pay a bit of attention to the Fuji side of things, so know a few names on that side, but not the other systems.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

So XE-1 vs OMD E-5. Anyone wanna break it down for me? I've 0 knowledge of mirrorless systems so most reviews are less than helpful since they seem to describe everything relative to earlier mirrorless systems that I also know nothing about. If it helps I give 0 craps about video.

I've had an E-M5 for a year and traded it for an X-E1 recently. While my experience with the X-E1 is limited so far due to not enough time getting to know each other properly, I'll offer a few comments.

The E-M5 is definitely the more competent of the two. It's fast, ultra configurable, weathersealed, has a tiltable touch LCD, super fast AF and nifty features like the bulb exposure mode where you can watch the exposure "grow" for night shots and the like. Has a nice set of lenses available to cover most needs. Robust and well thought out.

The X-E1 feels far more rough; like it is an early release model of a really great camera. The buttons feel cheaper and flimsier, the controls aren't quite as rapid and responsive as the E-M5. But, it has a wonderful "feel" to it which makes it a lot of fun to shoot with. The sensor is pretty amazing IMO, just shot a bunch of ISO 6400 images in poor light indoors and they look great. The 18-55 "kit" is razor sharp and stabilised not to mention 2/3-1 stop faster than your typical kit lens. I really like the more traditional controls where you have aperture and shutter rings that can be set to "automatic" or not to get your Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual modes.

Of the two, I'd have to give the nod to the E-M5 for being the overall "better" camera, yet I find that I like the X-E1 a lot more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daspope posted:

Becase olympus hates you and the rest of their customers. Olympus makes you pay for a lens hood separately.

This drives me nuts because their regular 4/3 lenses always came with hoods, many of which were pretty huge.

So far I have loved the 60mm f/2.8 macro. Focuses quicker than I thought it would and the limiter helps. Still mad tempted by that 75mm f/1.8 though.

Wengy, just get the silver 45mm. It's a fantastic lens. Stupid fast focus too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

change my name posted:

"At least no one will ever want to steal it", I still think to myself.

The Pontiac Aztek of cameras.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The Pontiac Aztek of cameras.
No joke, this is one of the reasons why I drive Buicks.

Have any Fuji owners tried these Fotasy extension tubes? Assuming these work well, it would be a little redundant to own both the 60mm f/2.4 macro and the 56mm f/1.2 once it comes out.

Edit - never mind, I've seen several poor reviews for these and the Fotga version; seems they're the same product.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 4, 2013

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just ordered the black 45 f1.8 from Amazon UK because gently caress my local shops who just add a hundred bucks to the price of the black one :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

Just ordered the black 45 f1.8 from Amazon UK because gently caress my local shops who just add a hundred bucks to the price of the black one :getin:

Well done. You're going to love it.

Edit: I believe there's a screw-in metal hood available on amazon for relatively cheap as well, made by EZPhoto

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Gotta say, I'm really excited about the M4/3 lens lineup in general, and my E-M1 kit isn't even here yet. I've handled some of the Olympus primes at a shop and was amazed at how tiny they were. Given their reputation for great image quality, it makes the 300 bucks for that 45 seem like a no brainer, especially since I'm actually gonna want to carry this stuff around, as opposed to my now sold Canon gear. I'm also really intrigued by Panasonic's 35-100 f2.8 (which doesn't extend, hell yeah) and those MF Voigtländers. I'm even hearing good things about consumer zooms like the Panasonic 14-140 II. Not regretting my decision for M4/3 at all :) (this may change when the inevitable A7R gear envy sets in - but one look at the size, weight and price of that system's lenses will serve as a quick reality check).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One thing I'm kind of surprised by is that the E-PL5, for example, is about the same size but heavier than my NX200. The lenses are smaller, sure, so I guess it's easier to lug around a bunch of small primes + a zoom or two, but the 50g difference (sans battery, not sure with a battery) is noticeable. Is it the IBIS that makes it heavier?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

eXXon posted:

One thing I'm kind of surprised by is that the E-PL5, for example, is about the same size but heavier than my NX200. The lenses are smaller, sure, so I guess it's easier to lug around a bunch of small primes + a zoom or two, but the 50g difference (sans battery, not sure with a battery) is noticeable. Is it the IBIS that makes it heavier?

Either that or olympus just decided to have better build quality than samsung.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Is anyone else interested in the new GM1? With the lens it's 275 grams which is crazy small, and it has their latest/greatest sensor. The example shots on dpreview look excellent.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

Is anyone else interested in the new GM1? With the lens it's 275 grams which is crazy small, and it has their latest/greatest sensor. The example shots on dpreview look excellent.

I would be if I didn't already have a Ricoh GR. I'm considering it as a Christmas present for my girlfriend, but it's very expensive.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

poopinmymouth posted:

It's smaller than an RX100, drat. Of course with the lens it's bigger, but so is the sensor. I definitely don't need one but I really want to handle it in person now.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Apparently the DOF equivalents puts the RX100 shallower on the wide end, but then the GM1 shallower at the long end (handy for portraits). The big thing I am seeing is that the sensor looks amazing, and when not needing a tiny walk around lens, one could get a travel zoom or something super long to pop on when on vacations, something not possible on the RX100.

Plus 20mm 1.7 would own.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 5, 2013

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Wow, it's smaller than my wife's Fuji XF1!

If it was a bit cheaper I buy one, stick on the the 15mm f8 and wear it on a necklace ALLLL the time.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cacator posted:

It's smaller than an RX100, drat. Of course with the lens it's bigger, but so is the sensor. I definitely don't need one but I really want to handle it in person now.

Volume-wise I think the RX100 still wins, especially if you put anything other than a pancake lens on the GM1. Really depends on your size requirements, because I really love how small the RX100 is as a whole package.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

poopinmymouth posted:

I am super interested in it, but it's way too expensive for me right now (I'm sensing a common theme). I'm hoping that used prices for it will drop fast, like they seem to have been doing for micro-four thirds bodies in the past. It looks like it's basically the same size as a Nikon P300 (which is the same size as a Canon S90) with the 15mm lens cap lens, which would make it pocketable for me. I've been looking at getting a m4/3 camera for quite a while now because I never take my big DSLR with me anywhere. I've been focusing on Olympus's bodies because they have sensor based stabilization, but this thing is seriously impressive.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Not that I've ever been seriously teetering on the precipice of getting into m4/3, but the lack of IBIS always seemed to make choosing a Panasonic body a real head-scratcher for me. If Olympus came out with something similar and not much bigger, I think it'd be a lot more attractive.

Like a couple of you have posted, I could see myself picking one up if they dipped into impulse-buy territory (in terms of photobux) secondhand though. It's pretty cool, kinda a digital Leica CL.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm, so I have the opportunity to buy a "second hand but new condition" OM-D E-M5 body for $550 inc postage. I have an X-E1 with the 18-55 right now which I love, but the plethora of lenses available for the Olympus is making me think about it... Seems like a good price.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I just got a fotodiox Nikon f to fuji x adapter in the mail to use with a bunch of my partner's dad's old lenses. Haven't had too much time to play with it yet but it's my first play with manual focus in donkeys years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Hmm, so I have the opportunity to buy a "second hand but new condition" OM-D E-M5 body for $550 inc postage. I have an X-E1 with the 18-55 right now which I love, but the plethora of lenses available for the Olympus is making me think about it... Seems like a good price.

That's an exceptional deal. Quick amazon check shows them going used for $630-650.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
As a counterpoint, the EM-1 is a tangible upgrade for many folks, and I'm guessing that the EM-5 body prices will just continue to sink over time shortly after the EM-1 is released.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
reading through the posts in the beginning of the thread from 2 years ago put a smile on my face.

Now Nikon has more FF bodies in production than APSC bodies. I am convinced 2 years from now, all cameras over $ 1000 will be full frame. 135 is the format of forever.

And I wrote this 2 years ago

whatever7 posted:

D700 sensor inside the FM2n, or Sony 24mp sensor inside the LX. I wonder if I will see it in the next 20 years?

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 6, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

whatever7 posted:

reading through the posts in the beginning of the thread from 2 years ago put a smile on my face.

Now Nikon has more FF bodies in production than APSC bodies. I am convinced 2 years from now, all cameras over $ 1000 will be full frame. 135 is the format of forever.

Agreed. I can't wait for that to happen.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Now if only the FF lenses were m43 sized...

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
The funny thing is that FF lenses from the film days were small as hell. Blame plastic, IS, focus motors, etc etc

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mightaswell posted:

The funny thing is that FF lenses from the film days were small as hell. Blame plastic, IS, focus motors, etc etc

Also blame sensors that need low incident light angles.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Mightaswell posted:

Wait for organic sensors hitting in about 2 years. They're supposed to be able to handle a much wider angle of light hitting them without blurring, smearing, or color-shifting. If they work as promised, we'll be able to get the large-sensor/short flange-distance digital cameras we want, closer to the old 35mm rangefinders.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I have a Rollei 35 SE so now I have high expectations that must be met :colbert:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

thetzar posted:

Wait for organic sensors hitting in about 2 years. They're supposed to be able to handle a much wider angle of light hitting them without blurring, smearing, or color-shifting. If they work as promised, we'll be able to get the large-sensor/short flange-distance digital cameras we want, closer to the old 35mm rangefinders.

The next 5-10 years of digital cameras are going to loving rule :hellyeah:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah when new stuff comes out I keep looking at it, looking at my D7000 and thinking "eh, it's better but it's not $$$ better". I'm gonna wait until some combination of full frame (or larger) sensors, pocket sized (or nearly pocket sized) cameras, clean ISO12800, or $1000-$1200 full frames exist before I buy again. I am sorely tempted by the X100s though. If the fujis were full frame I might not be able to stop myself from buying them. Everything is moving in the right direction it's just not quite there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Oh poo poo I just won an auction for a Fuji XE-1 with a 35mm 1.4. I've crossed over. There are no mirrors here. :ohdear: