Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
edit:wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

That will help with the Republican base, as Republicans have an arbitrary hatred (because they're rear end in a top hat bullies) of public school teachers.
It dates back to the age-old war on unions. Teacher unions have long been among the most hated by Republicans.

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, I think there has to be some massive "get Hispanic voters registered and caring about voting" event in Texas as a necessary intermediate step to converting demographic potential into electoral potential, and it hasn't happened yet. Whether a really good campaign for Senate or Governor by an appealing candidate like one of the Castro brothers could catalyze this remains to be seen.

So for now, Texas demographics is the "sleeping Democratic giant" like all the factories and industry making cars and sheet metal in America Yamamoto saw when he visited the country pre WWII.
All you have to do is nominate Bill Richardson and Hispanics will run to the nearest voting booth! Pundits have decreed it.

jeffersonlives posted:

Let's not go overboard here. Christie's going to have top tier money and full name recognition, and if Huntsman ever got to that point he would have been a serious player.
And Roger Ailes loves him.

Badger of Basra posted:

I think you will find he has solved all of these problems with some snappy glasses. Perry 2016.

Don't fail to note his massive sweater budget. I'd have loved to have been in that strategy meeting. "Alright, we need to make you look like one of them smart fellers on the boob tube, they wear sweaters and faggy glasses an' poo poo. Send someone down to campus to figger out where to buy some."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Don't fail to note his massive sweater budget. I'd have loved to have been in that strategy meeting. "Alright, we need to make you look like one of them smart fellers on the boob tube, they wear sweaters and faggy glasses an' poo poo. Send someone down to campus to figger out where to buy some."

I don't think it was a good ol boy, I think it was some bowtie-wearing College Republican rear end in a top hat.

Reminds me of someone I saw on the bus to work in downtown Austin this summer. The day after Wendy Davis' filibuster, some white kid in an oversized suit was talking about how it was a load of bullshit and how he would've called in the national guard because he's a "law and order" kind of guy. He also had a Ron Paul button on his backpack and got off at the Texas Public Policy Foundation.

Big_Daddy_Fabio
Oct 26, 2010
I figured this would be the best place to ask, I've got a rare opportunity tonight, Rick Santorum and Howard Dean are debating at my university tonight. If I get the chance does anyone have a good question for me to pose at the debate?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big_Daddy_Fabio posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask, I've got a rare opportunity tonight, Rick Santorum and Howard Dean are debating at my university tonight. If I get the chance does anyone have a good question for me to pose at the debate?

Which one of you can fit more grapes in your mouth?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Dr. Dean, now that you're sharing a stage with Rick Santorum in person, do you feel comfortable diagnosing what exact mental illness he suffers from?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ask Santorum if he supports the free market and then ask him if he thinks employers should be able to hire whoever they want.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Big_Daddy_Fabio posted:

"Senator Santorum, do you consider your level of attention to gay people an obsession or merely a preoccupation?"

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mr. Santorum, in light of the recent revelations about NSA surveillance around the world, have you googled yourself lately?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Also make sure you're wearing a pink T-shirt if you're a guy.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Mr. Santorum, how do you plan on appealing to the blah people in the 2016 primaries.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

ChampRamp posted:

Mr. Santorum, how do you plan on appealing to the blah people in the 2016 primaries.
I didn't like any of the previous suggestions for "troll" questions, but this one is really great, you should do this one. Also do a really elaborate, exaggerated "air quotes" gesture while looking him straight in the eyes when you're saying the word "blah".

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
"Mr. Santorum, are you loving kidding me?"

Should work pretty much regardless of what he specifically says.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ask him how he plans to help Cuccinelli's initiative to criminalize oral sex.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
Ask him a damning yet reasonable-sounding question so he can't shut you down with a response about your tone.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Melissa Tomlinson, the New Jersey teacher photographed being shouted at by Chris Christie on Saturday will be on The Ed Show tonight, which starts in about 8 minutes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Mr. Santorum, why do you hate America?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Highspeeddub posted:

Melissa Tomlinson, the New Jersey teacher photographed being shouted at by Chris Christie on Saturday will be on The Ed Show tonight, which starts in about 8 minutes.

Did Chris Hayes get booted?
e: no, it's still Chris Hayes on

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Andy Kaczynski continues to use turnitin.com on Rand Paul material, the results continue to be hilarious.

quote:

Sections of an op-ed Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul wrote on mandatory minimums in The Washington Times in September appear nearly identical to an article by Dan Stewart of The Week that ran a week earlier. The discovery comes amid reports from BuzzFeed that Paul plagiarized in his book and in several speeches.

Paul also delivered testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Sept. 16, 2013, that included the copied sections.

Also, how has nobody got Biden to comment on this yet? Because that's gonna be a good comment.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Also, how has nobody got Biden to comment on this yet? Because that's gonna be a good comment.
"Hey look champ, I didn't have this copy paste internet stuff, we had to work hard to accidentally plagiarize okay?"

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I always wonder if Rand is knowingly plagiarizing, or if he just attracts talent that is likely to cut corners when writing his speeches for him. I guess by 'always' I mean I wonder every few years when some other jackass gets caught saying verbatim someone else's words.

I don't get how a Senator could write something and say, "Yeah, nobody else will ever read this", but I could definitely imagine a staff member saying "There's no way Rand will read this before I'm out of here, gently caress that guy and his deadlines".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cheekio posted:

I always wonder if Rand is knowingly plagiarizing, or if he just attracts talent that is likely to cut corners when writing his speeches for him. I guess by 'always' I mean I wonder every few years when some other jackass gets caught saying verbatim someone else's words.

I don't get how a Senator could write something and say, "Yeah, nobody else will ever read this", but I could definitely imagine a staff member saying "There's no way Rand will read this before I'm out of here, gently caress that guy and his deadlines".

I suspect it's more "here's some cool material that will sound good for this speech" and the idea that it is plagiarism and wrong doesn't even occur to them.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Cheekio posted:

I always wonder if Rand is knowingly plagiarizing, or if he just attracts talent that is likely to cut corners when writing his speeches for him.

The free market requires you hire the cheapest speech writers in existence. Those just happen to be the duo of Jeffrey Copy and Peter Paste.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect it's more "here's some cool material that will sound good for this speech" and the idea that it is plagiarism and wrong doesn't even occur to them.

Unless things have changed in that office in the past couple years, he doesn't write most of his own speeches. (Droning about drones may be a possible exception to this.)

That's not a negative comment, also - I can't think of any Senators who write their own on a regular basis. Most of them do at most token editing unless it's a major speech.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Kalman posted:

Unless things have changed in that office in the past couple years, he doesn't write most of his own speeches. (Droning about drones may be a possible exception to this.)

That's not a negative comment, also - I can't think of any Senators who write their own on a regular basis. Most of them do at most token editing unless it's a major speech.

Anyone who has taken a high school writing course knows plagiarising is a big no no. It's automatic expulsion from college. Unless Rand Paul hired 4th graders to write his speeches the people working for him knew better.

Oh, and he lost his column with the Washington Times today.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/washington-times-ends-rand-pauls-column-following-plagiarism-accusations/

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Wow. That's like being blacklisted at the National Enquirer. Do you think the Weekly World News is hiring?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cease to Hope posted:

Wow. That's like being blacklisted at the National Enquirer. Do you think the Weekly World News is hiring?

While still existing in rump web form, I regret to inform you that the pinnacle of tabloid journalism that was the Weekly World News ended its print run in 2007.

Highspeeddub posted:

Anyone who has taken a high school writing course knows plagiarising is a big no no. It's automatic expulsion from college. Unless Rand Paul hired 4th graders to write his speeches the people working for him knew better.

This too I am sorry to say is not always the case; I've referred undergrads for disciplinary action on plagiarism and discovered that one instance alone is not enough to get them bounced, at least at the major public university I work at.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

While still existing in rump web form, I regret to inform you that the pinnacle of tabloid journalism that was the Weekly World News ended its print run in 2007.

This too I am sorry to say is not always the case; I've referred undergrads for disciplinary action on plagiarism and discovered that one instance alone is not enough to get them bounced, at least at the major public university I work at.

My favorite story on plagiarism comes from my sister, a history prof at Penn:

Her: I'm sorry, I can't give you credit for this paper. It's not original work.
Student: What do you mean? I wrote it myself!
Her: You copied it. It's obvious.
Student: How could you possibly know that?
Her: It's straight out of [famous history book from the '50s]. It's quite well known.
Student: :qq: No, I mean how did you know I copied my mother's paper?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

My favorite story on plagiarism comes from my sister, a history prof at Penn:

Her: I'm sorry, I can't give you credit for this paper. It's not original work.
Student: What do you mean? I wrote it myself!
Her: You copied it. It's obvious.
Student: How could you possibly know that?
Her: It's straight out of [famous history book from the '50s]. It's quite well known.
Student: :qq: No, I mean how did you know I copied my mother's paper?

My absolute favorite (so far)? Guy clearly was cribbing his exam answers off his smartphone. I was a TA at the time and didn't catch him in the act (though he was eyeballing me enough as I walked around to get my suspicions up), but his answers were clearly stolen, since he looked up the wrong Russo-Turkish War on wikipedia and just copied it wholesale without bothering to consider that he was writing about the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78, for a class that concluded with events in the 1850s. loving idiot.

\/\/\/
I too need to proofread better, it would seem.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 6, 2013

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

about the Russo-Turkish War of 1977-78, for a class that concluded with events in the 1850s. loving idiot.

In 1977?? Wow, that must been a hot point of the Cold War!

(I keed, I keed)

But yeah, don't copy, attribute source exactingly.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Highspeeddub posted:

Oh, and he lost his column with the Washington Times today.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/washington-times-ends-rand-pauls-column-following-plagiarism-accusations/

Yes, plagiarism is bad, but he doesn't really deserve personal blame for his staff doing it, most likely without him being aware. When I worked on the hill, I could easily have slipped plagiarized material into prepared remarks and unless my LD knew the source material well enough to call me on it, it would have gone out unaltered. I don't place any real blame on him as a plagiarist for giving the speeches/writing the book, because the odds are extremely high that he didn't actually do it.

On the other hand, his office - which includes him - they deserve blame for hiring mediocre staff and not pointing out that they might want to credit folks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Unless standards have really disintegrated, it is an automatic F.

Oh, and the fact that plagiarism is coming up in virtually everything Paul has written or said means that he is a clown no matter how good his staff is.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kalman posted:

Yes, plagiarism is bad, but he doesn't really deserve personal blame for his staff doing it, most likely without him being aware. When I worked on the hill, I could easily have slipped plagiarized material into prepared remarks and unless my LD knew the source material well enough to call me on it, it would have gone out unaltered. I don't place any real blame on him as a plagiarist for giving the speeches/writing the book, because the odds are extremely high that he didn't actually do it.

On the other hand, his office - which includes him - they deserve blame for hiring mediocre staff and not pointing out that they might want to credit folks.

I dunno, I think the fun part of this is that until he publicly admits what we all know and throws a staffer under the bus, we can reasonably pretend that he, personally, is a plagarist, just like we enjoy mentioning how his father thinks black youths to be incredibly fleet-footed. If it goes out under his name, and he's not willing to take real responsibility, then he is a willing participant in the bad behavior for which is being criticized.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Unless standards have really disintegrated, it is an automatic F.

A lot of schools these days you can just cry in front of the prof and department chair and get your mom to call up angry a few times and they'll more often than not just let you redo the assignment.

It's part of the "student as customer" mindset that's infected higher ed ever since they started hiring business people as admin.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I finished my masters degree 8 years ago, has it really degraded that much? Maybe I shouldn't be surprised Rand Paul staffers thought they could get away with cribbing other people's work.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Highspeeddub posted:

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised Rand Paul staffers thought they could get away with cribbing other people's work.

I strongly suspect that if you ran Senate press releases and op-eds through turnitin.com as Andy's doing for Rand's stuff you'd find he's not the only Senator with this problem, though reading the Gattaca Wikipedia article in a speech is certainly a new level of stupidity.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 6, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, what Joe said. If Copyscape had existed 20-100 years ago I'm sure history would be littered with this. I'm surprised it's not done more often.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't Biden have a plagiarism problem that derailed his first Presidential run?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't Biden have a plagiarism problem that derailed his first Presidential run?

That was a rather bizarre example. He copied parts of Neil Kinnock's biographical material for his plagiarized speech, including the "I was the first person in my family to go to college" bits that were true in Kinnock's case but not in Biden's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

notthegoatseguy posted:

Major controversy beset Biden's candidacy, beginning on September 12, 1987 with high-profile articles in The New York Times and The Des Moines Register. Biden was accused of plagiarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock, leader of the British Labour Party.

Biden had in fact cited Kinnock as the source for the formulation on previous occasions. But he made no reference to the original source at the August 23 Democratic debate at the Iowa State Fair being reported on, nor in an August 26 interview for the National Education Association. Moreover, while political speeches often appropriate ideas and language from each other, Biden's use came under more scrutiny because he fabricated aspects of his own family's background in order to match Kinnock's.

• Locked thread