Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Eifert Posting posted:

I am really tempted to end up in Taipei from the 6th to the 18th. Anyone gonna be around?

I am terrible at taking people sightseeing, but I am wonderful at getting them drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
How cool are Taiwan goons and should I come (from Korea) for 8 days in February?

Full disclosure: I have shared a bed with Caberham.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

http://roll20.net/

Check this out. It's an online implementation of DnD, it lets you make virtual maps and tokens for all of your characters and monsters and run the tabletop portion of the session over a net connection if you have to. Super useful if someone's going to be absent for a game but still wants to play remotely. Takes a bit of time to set up, but is totally awesome once you get going.

Yeah this is a really solid alternative to the real deal. It really sucks that there was never a 4e pc game. Even if it were just like this, but cleaner and more cinematic, it could have been great.

Ravendas posted:

I use this website to make grid paper: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

I use one size for dungeons and such, and another size for world/area map types where I need precise dimensions for zooming in. Then I sleeve them and slide them in a binder for easy lookup.

Just make the pdf's and go print them at a copy shop.

These are good ideas, thanks much.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

You may already know it, but a print shop might be a better choice than 7-11 for some things. Okay, you'd be splitting hairs over NT$1 a page versus NT$2, but as Ravendas mentioned, those print shops can bind stuff as well. I always preferred it much more to printing off stuff at 7-11. If you're near NCKU in Tainan, basically all of Shengli Rd. (near the Dasyue Rd. intersection) is littered with these print shops.

I live on that intersection :yum:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

THE LUMMOX posted:

How cool are Taiwan goons and should I come (from Korea) for 8 days in February?

Full disclosure: I have shared a bed with Caberham.

We're pretty cool. I have nevet shared a.bed with a goon, but given the small dating pool....

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

We're pretty cool. I have nevet shared a.bed with a goon, but given the small dating pool....

Taipei's got a small dating pool? I guess if you stick with just English it is.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't live in Taipei and so when I go to Taipei I tend to revisit the same bars.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Ravendas posted:

Taipei's got a small dating pool? I guess if you stick with just English it is.

All dating pools must feel huge when you're an indecisive baby.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

quadrophrenic posted:

Shenme shihou?

Normally we try and get started for 8PM.
A whole bunch of last minute cancellations meant last night had a very poor attendance.

:(

Next game is planned for 11 Dec.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bloodnose posted:

All dating pools must feel huge when you're an indecisive baby.

I mentioned that I still had my 'stupid newbie' avatar after 11 years on the forum because I couldn't choose one, so a mod gave me that lovely title.

Still can't be effed to spend money and change it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ravendas posted:

I mentioned that I still had my 'stupid newbie' avatar after 11 years on the forum because I couldn't choose one, so a mod gave me that lovely title.

Still can't be effed to spend money and change it.

The Great and Powerful Lo-Taksu demands tribute!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys found this

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kevintang/16-differences-between-living-in-hong-kong-and-taiwan

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Don't read Buzzfeed please. That was insufferable.

Also whoever wrote that really doesn't like Hong Kong. WELL TAIWAN AIN'T A PRIZE CHICKEN EITHER THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Don't read Buzzfeed please. That was insufferable.

Also whoever wrote that really doesn't like Hong Kong. WELL TAIWAN AIN'T A PRIZE CHICKEN EITHER THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
While I agree on the "don't read Buzzfeed", dude's not wrong. He rose-tinted the Taiwan side in a few (they're sidewalks, not sidestand and chats; store clerks - if I want help, I'll loving ask, stop breathing literally right down my neck thanks), but by and large it's pretty accurate.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I thought the sidewalk was the cracked concrete surface for suddenly driving trucks off the road or spitting betel nut runoff.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's a Taiwan comic book artist living in Hong Kong.

He also made

I wouldn't say he doesn't like HK. Perhaps he finds HK to be super fast paced (Maybe Taiwan is just too slow :rimshot:)

and of course

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's missing one last picture: "The Philippines does something horrible: Taiwan vs. Hong Kong"

Response to Taiwan: "Sorry! Sorry! We're prosecuting the offenders, let's sit down and hammer out some new accords so it doesn't happen again!"

Response to HK: "Beijing says we don't have to apologize to you so maybe we'll get around to it in a few years."

Other than that, seemed pretty accurate.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

It's missing one last picture: "The Philippines does something horrible: Taiwan vs. Hong Kong"

Response to Taiwan: "Sorry! Sorry! We're prosecuting the offenders, let's sit down and hammer out some new accords so it doesn't happen again!"

Response to HK: "Beijing says we don't have to apologize to you so maybe we'll get around to it in a few years."

Other than that, seemed pretty accurate.
Unfortunately for the Philippines thing it would also need a third picture:

Taiwan & HK response to the Philippines: gently caress you, darkie!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have done some extensive research and come to the conclusion that the Philippines is not really a place and therefore contains no actual people.
-Taiwan

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
If that's the same thing that's making the rounds on Facebook then IIRC there should also be several pictures that amount to "the working class of Hong Kong is filled with 帥哥, while in Taiwan some people have the audacity to not be beautiful" (did make me a little curious to revisit HK though, ohoho)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm bored, here are some more

This one is a bit idealized. Yeah some dudes in the factory warehouse are super chiseled, but we have our share of fat guys. No betel nut though.

from https://www.facebook.com/JIEJIEHK

TetsuoTW posted:

Unfortunately for the Philippines thing it would also need a third picture:

Taiwan & HK response to the Philippines: gently caress you, darkie!

So true :suicide:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

I'm bored, here are some more

All of those were in your dumb buzzfeed article and translated.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't find the Hong Kong pace to be that breakneck. That said, I routinely bitch about how loving SLOW GOD drat YOUR EYES OLD WOMAN Seoul pedestrians are.

Edit: Anyone know any good hostels in Taipei?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 8, 2013

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

I didn't find the Hong Kong pace to be that breakneck. That said, I routinely bitch about how loving SLOW GOD drat YOUR EYES OLD WOMAN Seoul pedestrians are.

Edit: Anyone know any good hostels in Taipei?

I enjoyed my stay at JV's, plus the location was great.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've heard good things about Eight Elephants.

http://www.eehostel.com/

It should be noted that hostels are technically illegal in Taipei, if not in Taiwan, and so they'll make you sign a month long lease under the pretense that you are a legal renter. It can of course be broken at will.

Edit: OK, not illegal, but the requirements are very strict and so a lot of places can't get the proper licenses and so operate illegally.

stfuDonny
Jun 20, 2005

Inconceivable.
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed my stay at Eight Elephants, I definitely recommend it. A bit tricky to find the first time but really quite close to a MRT station and the girls who run it are great.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Went with JV's because it is like 10$ cheaper a night for a single.

Officially going to be engaging in a 14 night food crawl in Taipei starting January 4th. :getin:

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
Have you guys seen the beer selection at Welcome Mart lately? Because it suddenly became phenomenal. My local one has had a cooler stocked with a couple of German and Belgian malt liquors and Bodingtons for dirt cheap for a couple of months now, but today I saw them stocking about ten meters of shelves with a selection I've never seen in Taiwan outside of a precious few specialty bars, and at a tiny fraction of the price, too. A thing of beauty that was. :cheers:

Edit: Here's a portion of what was there already. I wonder how the Iron Maiden beer is.

Oz_Bonus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 11, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It has always been my secret dream that Taiwan joined in the rest of Asia in unrestrained alcohol consumption.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
There's a shop in Kaohsiung that has a crazy amount of beer. 15 different ciders. It is down the road and I love it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My Welcome does not have that awesomeness.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

Atlas Hugged posted:

The one near my place is new and unusually large, so I guess it might be getting special merchandise. Hope your local stores start carrying it too. *sips double chocolate stout*

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Please stop doing things like that Taiwan, we're losing enough Korea vets as it is. :ohdear:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Oz_Bonus posted:

Have you guys seen the beer selection at Welcome Mart lately? Because it suddenly became phenomenal. My local one has had a cooler stocked with a couple of German and Belgian malt liquors and Bodingtons for dirt cheap for a couple of months now, but today I saw them stocking about ten meters of shelves with a selection I've never seen in Taiwan outside of a precious few specialty bars, and at a tiny fraction of the price, too. A thing of beauty that was. :cheers:

Edit: Here's a portion of what was there already. I wonder how the Iron Maiden beer is.

I've been taking advantage of their NT$199 AOC red wines of late.
(as in I'm buying them by the box)

s'fukn great!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here's an important tip to remember: the "Arrive before" date on your visa is NOT the "visa expires on" date. This should be obvious unless you are me and therefor an idiot.

Time to take another trip to Hong Kong and pay another fine. Thank god my work visa is already processed.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Atlas Hugged posted:

Seems like it's just the big ones. The one at the Guting MRT had a huge selection, but a few blocks away on Tongan St. the selection is much smaller. I imagine if you live outside the normal foreigner areas it is even worse.

I'm pretty happy that they have a decent selection of ciders.

Also, does anyone know if any of the 100 different tea shops sell Thai Iced Tea? It's the orange looking tea with condensed milk. I swear, they are crazy not to all carry it because that poo poo is liquid amazingness and I would drink myself into a diabetic coma if I could find it easily.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I got one in my neighborhood that sells it, along with 泰式拿鐵, which is $20 more, made with milk instead of creamer, and is generally superior. I have no idea what you'd do with this information.

It is rare at tea stands, though, you're right. Thai restaurants should have it though, and they can probably do it take-out style for you. I've had some pretty loving foul Thai tea here, so it depends on the quality of the Thai restaurant.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Not in Taipei but Thai Iced tea is very easy to find in the 瑞豐 (Ruei Fong?) night market in Kaohsiung. It tastes quite similar to the ones I've had in the States at least.
I do love Thai iced tea.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

瑞豐 (Ruei Fong?)
Ruifeng.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Anyone in the Taipei area have a scooter? URL and I are thinking about doing a day trip next Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I was thinking of tackling:

台北縣三峽鎮竹崙里紫微南路97號

Fair warning: It's 'not' easy.

url fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 15, 2013