Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

What's with all these F&F cars popping up for sale all of a sudden?

Planet Hollywood collapsing into itself if memory serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I thought they made pretty liberal use of pacers and gremlins in every 80s movie made....

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

No, I said I want a LOT of gauges. And you bring me this? Needs more gauges!
Where is the manifold gauge?

George Barris is an amateur.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
At least it's an automatic. :smith:

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Octopus Magic posted:

At least it's an automatic. :smith:

Huh, I didn't even notice that.
You would think they would at least have installed the Getrag 11 speed, right?

I want that Gremlin though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tai-Pan posted:

Huh, I didn't even notice that.
You would think they would at least have installed the Getrag 11 speed, right?

I want that Gremlin though.

I'm not exactly sure who the Automatic RX-7 was aimed at, either here or overseas.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
People with only one working leg?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

animeliker posted:

I'm not exactly sure who the Automatic RX-7 was aimed at, either here or overseas.
Dont most sports cars and supercars come in automatic?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rscott posted:

People with only one working leg?

People ride motorcycles with one arm and one leg. I think a manual car can be done.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

If you're going to V8 a 3-series, use an LSx, or at least use fuel injection for Mog's sake!
Also, what's with the 4x4 stance?

Tai-Pan posted:

No, I said I want a LOT of gauges. And you bring me this? Needs more gauges!
Where is the manifold gauge?

George Barris is an amateur.

That poor FD, automatic or not. 4x4 stance on it, too, in several of the pictures.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cage posted:

Dont most sports cars and supercars come in automatic?

In short - automatics back when that car was made were absolute poo poo, whereas automatics made today (especially those aimed at sports/supercars) are really really good.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Darchangel posted:

4x4 stance on it, too, in several of the pictures.

bags?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

More likely coil-overs raised to make it easy to load/unload on a trailer.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stealth Like posted:

In short - automatics back when that car was made were absolute poo poo, whereas automatics made today (especially those aimed at sports/supercars) are really really good.

That's what I meant really. Nowadays that advantage is no longer there. Automatics at the time were more suited to things like the Cosmo or Soarer/SC400. Corvettes have always had pretty good Automatics though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been browsing CL, looking for cheap cars for my friend who's car was t-boned last week and I keep seeing my favorite blurb.

"You'll need cash as well if your car isn't worth as much as mine" and it's always some riced out Civic/Eclipse/Integra with an automatic.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus H. Christ are automatic Integras ever terrible. I apologize for being an elitist but that car wasn't suited to an auto at all.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My favorite blurb is always "no tire kickers."

Oh yeah? You'll show me the car, but you don't want me examining too closely, eh?

How the gently caress do these people ever expect to sell their car? I even had some dude accuse me of being a tire kicker when I was looking at a mountain bike. No poo poo dude, I want to make sure this thing doesn't fall apart on me when I'm hauling rear end down a mountain.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tire Kicker = Someone wasting your time that has absolutely no intent to buy regardless. A genuine time waster.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I like people who post "no joy rides" on their junk heap '83 Toyota Corolla

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4170120206.html
"its got black wheels now the art on hood is by von dago , he famous well nown, does stuff for motley crue ,? dont no everybody but he famous look it up, von dago"

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Xarthor posted:

I like people who post "no joy rides" on their junk heap '83 Toyota Corolla

Uhhhh,

This is an 83 Corolla. :colbert:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
And so is this.

Much more look like that one than the one you posted.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 6, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I bought all my cars from craigslist and internet classifieds. I avoid the people that take lovely pictures and cant take a few seconds to not type like an idiot. The latest one I showed up, looked around a good bit, guy tossed my dad the keys since I didnt know stick yet and we came back to negotiate a bit and then gave him $100 to hold it til the next day. Guy delivered it, couldnt be easier.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cage posted:

I bought all my cars from craigslist and internet classifieds. I avoid the people that take lovely pictures and cant take a few seconds to not type like an idiot.

Speaking of this...

Chevy S10 SALE OR TRADE (HUNT)

Horrible photos, all-caps description with just enough info, no price or mileage, etc.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Rhyno posted:

I've been browsing CL, looking for cheap cars for my friend who's car was t-boned last week and I keep seeing my favorite blurb.

"You'll need cash as well if your car isn't worth as much as mine" and it's always some riced out Civic/Eclipse/Integra with an automatic.

I've had up an ad for my 330 for the past 2 months, listing a sale price OR a trade for a fuel efficient 5 speed. Civic, fit, corolla, VW TDI, etc. Of the offers I got that actually fit my criteria (maybe 20%) they were all riced junk. And every single response overvalued their car by 2-3k. Sorry, but your high mileage stickerbombed 6th gen si (which in canada is just a 127hp car) is not worth 6k.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Possible gold, with the "fresh paint" line raising some question marks, and not much said about the mechanical condition of the thing.

Looks good in the pics, though, and if it's a long-time desert resident it's probably rust free.

edit: whoops

http://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/4172905662.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 7, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That thing looks pretty nice... suspension + wheels and it'd be a nice DD...

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Possible gold, with the "fresh paint" line raising some question marks, and not much said about the mechanical condition of the thing.

Looks good in the pics, though, and if it's a long-time desert resident it's probably rust free.

edit: whoops

http://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/4172905662.html

Avoid, unless you want to do a motor swap. Which you do, because I haven't seen one that nice body wise in a really long time, there are a few relatively cheap motor options that swap over with minimal hassle and plenty of online documentation, and they're a blast to drive, despite being FWD. '90-91s came with the B21A1, which is a notorious oil burner once it gets a few miles on it - the B20A5 in the 88 - 89s is the motor you want, assuming you want to stay stockish. Of course, that often gets dumped in favor of an H22 swap. And I don't know what he did to it, but holy poo poo that wheel gap :pwn:

That said, the rest of the car will go forever, especially considering that it's a 5 speed. Almost no electronics to gently caress up - the motor is EFI, but almost everything else is mechanical, down to the 4WS setup. There are tons of these (in non-salt states) still kicking around with north of 300K on them. I wouldn't worry too much about the "fresh paint" thing. Honda used lovely single stage paint on these, which (assuming original) would be 22 years old now...and this car is located in the desert. The original paint probably turned to chalk years ago. Like all '80s / 90s Japanese cars, rust was the biggest killer of these, and that one seems to have completely escaped that fate, if the pics are to be believed. I'm getting rid of my '89 due to excessive body rot plus the fact that I have too many cars. :(

Now, if I had a bit of $$ kicking around, an itch to buy another car, a spare driveway spot, and some time, I would be strongly entertaining the thought of picking that up, getting it back here, and swapping the strong B20A5, suspension, and nice black interior from my '89 into that one. And then topping it off with a JY turbo of some sort. :getin:

Now I want it, this is why I hate looking at craigslist. :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alberta is the best province.

These were coincidentally posted side by side in the "classic cars" section. i wasn't searching for anything specific.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Celica/VAUGHAN/Ontario/19_7509032_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

I'll be deciding on Sunday when I drive down to the GTA if this will be my first car!

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

TWSS posted:

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Celica/VAUGHAN/Ontario/19_7509032_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

I'll be deciding on Sunday when I drive down to the GTA if this will be my first car!

I was not sure if you were trolling at not, at first, but after reading the build out, I think you found some real possible gold there.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That actually seems like a really good deal

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
~CRUISE (Sapporo, Japan) anodized pink aluminum shift knob~

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

TWSS posted:

~CRUISE (Sapporo, Japan) anodized pink aluminum shift knob~

You know, I think this must be some kind of non-ricer inside joke. I have seen awful shift knobs on otherwise really well built-out Japanese cars. Like some sort of concession to the nonsense that most of these cars endure.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I'm pretty sure the owner is part wee-a-boo, he had a really nasally voice and there is a ~totally kawaii~ keychain on the boost gauge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a quattroporte going through an auction i frequent tomorrow. something tells me i'm going to hate myself for not having 20 grand sitting around

http://live.cdemo.com/brochure/idZ20131107tpqijjje

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Powershift posted:

There's a quattroporte going through an auction i frequent tomorrow. something tells me i'm going to hate myself for not having 20 grand sitting around

http://live.cdemo.com/brochure/idZ20131107tpqijjje

Why, because you are excited about doing the ~$15,000 worth of service that has probably been neglected over the last 20,000 miles? Or because you are excited about owning a vehicle that needs $20,000 more of work to keep it on the road for the next 20,000 miles?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

Why, because you are excited about doing the ~$15,000 worth of service that has probably been neglected over the last 20,000 miles? Or because you are excited about owning a vehicle that needs $20,000 more of work to keep it on the road for the next 20,000 miles?

Oh, i'm sorry, i thought this was automotive insanity. I'm sorry to have stumbled into the practical people driving value neutral appliance car forum.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well that's one way to shed weight

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4174297258.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
God I hope that thing was a total basket case before he got his hands on it.