Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's the iPad Pro to go with the iPad Air.

Market it towards business types with a keyboard dock? So it'd be like a MacBook Air lite (but still more tablet than PC)?

It'd be hilarious if Apple beat Microsoft at the Surface's core market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can 100% say that... when the Air came out, I was slightly hesitant that it indicated some PRO model was down the line. That said... if part of what makes the PRO the PRO is being *larger* you can count me the gently caress out.

I do not need a computational computer screen I have to mount on my desk and treat it like an iMac.

Not at all interested.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I can see where some people would get use from the larger screen, but I'm not one of them.
What use is video if I don't have at least one hand free? :v:

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
To me the most obvious additions for a Pro would be a bigger screen, more ports, and maybe an A7X processor. I'd really want good software to go with it though, and that's where Microsoft might have Apple beat, since I doubt Apple will allow Mac apps to run on an iPad anytime soon.

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 5, 2013

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/05/rumor-foxconn-testing-production-of-larger-screened-ipad-for-2014-release

Ugh, hope not. Of course, for selfish reasons since I picked up an Air, but also because I can't see a 12-inch iPad being that marketable at a high price.

I dunno, maybe there would be a market for an ultra-premium iPad?

Musicians and artists come to mind. There are people out there making incredible stuff with creative apps. I've seen amazing artwork done with apps like Procreate, and many professional musicians and audio engineers have put iPads in their workflows. I think Apple would be targeting people like this.

As someone who produces music with my iPad (and doodles with Procreate) I wouldn't mind a larger iPad at all, as long as Apple keeps it below 1.5 pounds, which seems entirely possible with the iPad Air being just 1. A 12" or 13" iPad for home use and a mini for mobile use would be really great. I keep my project files synced between my iPad and iPod touch already via Dropbox, so a two iPad setup would be awesome.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Apparently the new Air uses an IGZO display. I wonder if the mini will have one as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

Anyone post about the Target trade in deal?

targettradeinprogram.com posted:

Between November 3rd thru 9th visit your local Target Mobility store and trade in any iPad for at least $200 *. To take advantage of this offer simply follow the below steps:

Step 1: Find your local Target mobility store by clicking here and selecting "Target Mobile" under store services.
Step 2: Your device will be appraised in-store at the mobility kiosk.
Step 3: $200 minimum promotional credit will be issued on a Target Trade-In Gift Card and is redeemable in any Target store.

* Visit TargetTradeInProgram.com for store hours, locations and to see if your iPad qualifies for the offer. To be eligible for trade in, the iPad must power on and screen must not be scratched.
If you have an old rear end original iPad I think it's a good deal...or if you have a newer one and you're too lazy to sell another one through other means even if you could get more. I did it today with my brother's old original (with two dents on the back!) and my 3rd gen, took a few minutes and got a $400 gift card. Don't need to bring anything other than the iPads themselves, the guy just checked the buttons and model number or something in Settings. I didn't try myself but supposedly you can use the Target gift card to buy the regular credit card ones.
This is perfect! My grandma wants to replace her iPad 1 with a new Retina Mini when they come out, so I'll have her head to Target this week and trade in her old one for store credit. Thanks for the heads up.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I'm starting to see iPads used a lot in the retail, service and restaurant sector. This larger form factor mat be targeted to those customers rather than home end users.

iPad mini - travel and commute
iPad air - standard media consumption
ipad pro - integrated purposes for commercial

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually, that market is why I think the iPad 2 continues to exist. I see them used in restaurants and at festival/convention booths as POS devices where high resolution/speed isn't terribly useful while a bigger screen than a phone or iPad mini is.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

illcendiary posted:

That (minus price of course) will be next year's iPad Air.

Residency Evil posted:

You're already making me feel bad about my first ipad. :(

Welcome to the Apple Club, we reserved a nice seat for you by the fireplace!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Japtor posted:

I didn't try myself but supposedly you can use the Target gift card to buy the regular credit card ones.

I'm pretty sure you can't do this anymore. I was in line behind someone buying a Visa gift card the other day and when the cashier rung it up the screen flashed something like "Item cannot be purchased with Target gift card" and she had to acknowledge it before she could ring anything else up.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 5, 2013

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Target is selling the regular mini for $299 with a $25 gift card. $75 for a mini makes a tasty upgrade from the OG.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hasters posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't do this anymore. I was in line behind someone buying a Visa gift card the other day and when the cashier rung it up the screen flashed something like "Item cannot be purchased with Target gift card" and she had to acknowledge it before she could ring anything else up.
You screwed up your quote and confused the hell out of me because I never typed that. :confused:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Oh well, I was probably gonna spend it at Target anyway, buy 2 get 1 game free deal in a week or two plus the iPad mini launch eventually. November 21st or 22nd is the rumored date going around apparently.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is it possible to wirelessly add videos to the iPad built-in video library over wifi?

I know you can sync to iTunes using wifi and that would work but requires it running on a PC 24/7, etc...

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
No, but apps like VLC and AVPlayer will let you do this. I use this for travelling so I can bring an iPad and a HD and just borrow a computer to overnight sync half way through the holiday.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Gmail isn't pushing mail to my nw iPad, which reminded me that they apparently ended they push/Exchange stuff. I've set up my Gmail using the Gmail option in settings, not as an Exchange account. It still pushes mail to my iPhone 4, as they've always done. How do I get it to push email to my iPad as well? Do I need to use the Gmail app?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Xabi posted:

How do I get it to push email to my iPad as well? Do I need to use the Gmail app?

Yes. Or another third party app like Mailbox. It just won't work with the default app. There's some exchange related wizardry you can do apparently but I haven't tried.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Why is iTunes still such a piece of poo poo? I last used it 4yrs ago and it hasn't gotten better.

I've added my music to the library, gone to File | Device | Sync Chris's iPad and the music hasn't appeared on my iPad.

Edit: so I have to manually enabling sync in settings.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 6, 2013

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Startyde posted:

Target is selling the regular mini for $299 with a $25 gift card. $75 for a mini makes a tasty upgrade from the OG.

Wow, totally gonna take advantage of this this week. Just a couple weeks ago, I was lamenting the fact that I hadn't traded in my OG iPad while it was still worth something. 75 bucks for an upgrade to the older mini sounds perfect.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

WastedJoker posted:

Why is iTunes still such a piece of poo poo? I last used it 4yrs ago and it hasn't gotten better.

I've added my music to the library, gone to File | Device | Sync Chris's iPad and the music hasn't appeared on my iPad.

Edit: so I have to manually enabling sync in settings.

Get itunes match and never have to plug in your ipad to your computer again!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cozmosis posted:

Yes. Or another third party app like Mailbox. It just won't work with the default app. There's some exchange related wizardry you can do apparently but I haven't tried.

Wait, since when? I was about to post something like this since I've had gmail set up on the default mail client for ages, and it's only very recently stopped working.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Wait, since when? I was about to post something like this since I've had gmail set up on the default mail client for ages, and it's only very recently stopped working.

Dunno mine broke a while ago - using Mailbox (and gmail app) make it push notifications instantly.

Crew Expendable
Jan 1, 2013

hypersleep posted:

Musicians and artists come to mind. There are people out there making incredible stuff with creative apps. I've seen amazing artwork done with apps like Procreate, and many professional musicians and audio engineers have put iPads in their workflows. I think Apple would be targeting people like this.

As someone who produces music with my iPad (and doodles with Procreate) I wouldn't mind a larger iPad at all, as long as Apple keeps it below 1.5 pounds, which seems entirely possible with the iPad Air being just 1. A 12" or 13" iPad for home use and a mini for mobile use would be really great. I keep my project files synced between my iPad and iPod touch already via Dropbox, so a two iPad setup would be awesome.

Yeah and it makes more sense with the switch to the 64 bit processor. A pro model with a bigger screen and more ram would be useful for art creation and video editing. I would love to do layout work with an iPad ("iNDesign" if you will :haw:).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Paradoxish posted:

Google quit granting new iOS devices push mail in the default client like a year ago. If you had it, you could keep it, but once you fresh install its gone.

Still holding onto it on my phone, but not my iPad.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wow, totally gonna take advantage of this this week. Just a couple weeks ago, I was lamenting the fact that I hadn't traded in my OG iPad while it was still worth something. 75 bucks for an upgrade to the older mini sounds perfect.

I think that the $25 offer is only online, I'm not sure if B&M Targets will match target.com if they've got the product in stock.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Google quit granting new iOS devices push mail in the default client like a year ago. If you had it, you could keep it, but once you fresh install its gone.

Still holding onto it on my phone, but not my iPad.

Is the gmail app any good?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

smallmouth posted:

Is the gmail app any good?

Yeah it's fine.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
It's pretty solid but it doesn't have a unified inbox if that's your thing. I was pretty happy with it, but then I got mailbox so I could get a free extra gigabyte of storage on Dropbox. Originally I wasn't going to use it, but now that I have it set up, there is no going back. Mailbox is pretty great just because it's so much better at organizing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't like it because it makes you wait at startup while it phones home before taking you to your inbox. It also doesn't use swipe-to-delete gestures.

I think this is all because it is basically gmail.html wrapped in an exe instead of an actual native app.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

eddiewalker posted:

That kind of sucks, but I guess this is the push I needed to find another mail provider and start using my gmail for forwarding only.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

withak posted:

I don't like it because it makes you wait at startup while it phones home before taking you to your inbox. It also doesn't use swipe-to-delete gestures.

I think this is all because it is basically gmail.html wrapped in an exe instead of an actual native app.

In theory they should be making the loading page go away since iOS 7 introduced background app refresh. It's just a matter of time, hopefully. Unless like you said it's just their website in app form and they can't use the app refresh.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I don't get why there's a border around the message body in the gmail app. It makes it harder to read messages at time. The loading thing is annoying but for some reason doesn't bother me that much. The message border thing is the one that really annoys me with the app.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I love everything about my new air. However they apparently didn't put any ram in there because the drat thing can't keep two webpages of text loaded at the same time in safari. >:/
All the time reloading and refreshing.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it just me or does Chrome on the iPad need to refresh way more often than Safari?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chrome kind of blows on iOS. It doesn't even have all the gestures of the Android version. The refreshing does suck but I'm not sure if it's because of RAM or if the app sucks.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

That kind of sucks, but I guess this is the push I needed to find another mail provider and start using my gmail for forwarding only.

Easiest solution to this is to forward to your iCloud email.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Mu Zeta posted:

Chrome kind of blows on iOS. It doesn't even have all the gestures of the Android version. The refreshing does suck but I'm not sure if it's because of RAM or if the app sucks.

I like it well enough to use it as my browser. The main thing is that it syncs with Chrome on my phone and desktop, so I have access to all the same bookmarks.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually like it better than Safari, but the lack of gestures (swipe to go back, specifically) means I don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Speaking of safari, I can't even open a second tab without it crashing. Just hitting the plus sign sends me back to springboard. I've also found that I can't get past the title menu in Magic 2013 and a few other apps seem to have crash issues.
Anyone else been having issues? Is this just cause the iPad Air has new hardware and things need to be reoptimized? It seems pretty un-apple for then to not have even tested safari on their new tablet.