Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

abagofcheetos posted:

Is that a Dynasty Warriors clock at the end???????????

Either that or it's a watch, but I like the halberd shaped minute hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So with those being the JP release dates for the ps3 and ps4 versions when should we expect the US ones? Early next year?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

dreffen posted:

So with those being the JP release dates for the ps3 and ps4 versions when should we expect the US ones? Early next year?

Well DW8 came out here 5 months after it came out in Japan which is a pretty big gap for one of these. I'm guessing it had a lot to do with English VA and I'm willing to bet we won't be getting any in DW8XL so who knows.

Of course this is all assuming it actually is released outside of Japan.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jibo posted:

I'm guessing it had a lot to do with English VA and I'm willing to bet we won't be getting any in DW8XL so who knows.

Since it's functionally an add-on to the base game, they pretty much have to give it an English dub, don't they?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Jibo posted:

Well DW8 came out here 5 months after it came out in Japan which is a pretty big gap for one of these. I'm guessing it had a lot to do with English VA and I'm willing to bet we won't be getting any in DW8XL so who knows.

You're bumming me out and I hope you're wrong. :ohdear:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Jibo posted:

DW7XL had english VA and came state side. Hell every XL game ever has comes stateside (if we don't count SW3Z). TK has a huge thing for making sure there's always a Warriors game out on every console as soon as it's released so even worse case 8+XL will be on PS4 as close to launch as they can get it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I wouldn't be surprised if DW8wXL came out next Summer, around the time DW8 dropped on PS3, but we could maybe see it even earlier.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Warriors 4 drops in Japan on PS3 and Vita March 20th. Could be worth checking out!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
How far out from the original release did the original WO3 get announced for english release? It's been a bit more than a month now and we still haven't heard a peep about it coming over.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The GIG posted:

How far out from the original release did the original WO3 get announced for english release? It's been a bit more than a month now and we still haven't heard a peep about it coming over.

It was about a month or so. Original WO3 dropped in Japan on December 22nd and we heard about the US/EU release a month later on the 24th.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I heard Maria Kyogoku, Nagamasa Azai's sister and a Christian, will be in Basara 4. I wonder if she will be presented as an actual Christian or a member of the Xavi cult?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So I picked up a Wii recently and I'm seeing copies of SW3 for rather cheap. If I liked SW2, is this worth giving a shot?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

iastudent posted:

So I picked up a Wii recently and I'm seeing copies of SW3 for rather cheap. If I liked SW2, is this worth giving a shot?

Yeah its a pretty neat game. Plays a bit like the Gundam games in terms of combat (dashes chaining combos together), and has a good roster.

Plus it has that one weird mode where you play through an old TK game except as a Warriors game.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Also worth noting is the pretty good officer edit. I think SW3 may be the only warriors game other than SW1 to have an officer edit mode on the core game and not in an Empires or XL add-on.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The future of Warriors may be interesting.

Choice quotes posted:

"I think there are many reasons, but one of the big ones could be that we release them right around the launch of each new system. Putting whatever tech or visuals we couldn’t do with other hardware into a new Warriors game adds a very direct sort of excitement for the player, and I think that has given us a certain amount of share in gamers’ minds. It’s not something that we deliberately decide beforehand, but we know how that mindshare works, so sooner or later it naturally becomes an atmosphere of ‘We better make sure our games don’t stray too far out of the hardware launch window’."

"I think it might be fun to make an open-world Warriors game, or maybe an RPG that takes advantage of the Warriors system. Also, there’s still a lot of explore here, but I think taking advantages of the specs of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will let us explore new types of gameplay that we couldn’t do before."

"With Warriors up to now, all the military action not taking place right on screen is still simulated in a pretty basic way. If we had it so the entire thing was fully simulated, that’d be a huge boost to the strategy aspect, and I think the fighting would a whole new level more exciting. Also, when we produce a game on the new consoles, I want to really focus on making really varied terrain in terms of height and shape."

"It’d be fun to take a more realistic approach with it such as creating a lot more destroyable objects and things."

Yes, around the hardware launch window. So DW8wXL is coming like March or something right? RIGHT?!

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So here's a question. Are there any good * Warriors style games on iOS/Android? I'd love to be able to kill thousands of drafted peasants/zombies/robots/whatever while out and about even if I don't have my Vita on me, and it's not like basic DW needs super twitchy reflex accuracy.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Dynasty Warriors SLASH is on iOS and Android. Not too sure how it plays because I only just remembered it when you asked so someone else might know.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

First footage of Chen Gong and Fa Zheng in DW8 XL.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

drat, that carpet weapon is so dumb, and I want it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Has there been any news about what the new What-ifs for Jin/Shu/Wu/Wei involve or is Koei one of the tight-lipped devs and we just need to wait until release to find out?

Also the Koei Wiki has this little number :downs:

Players have the option of manually activating Storm Rush attacks by tapping Square and Triangle simultaneously.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lunethex posted:

Has there been any news about what the new What-ifs for Jin/Shu/Wu/Wei involve or is Koei one of the tight-lipped devs and we just need to wait until release to find out?

Players have the option of manually activating Storm Rush attacks by tapping Square and Triangle simultaneously.

"Not satisfied with just three Musou attacks? Have another one!"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait, so you no longer need to have the right element of weapon, or you no longer need to hit them enough times to activate it, or what?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, so you no longer need to have the right element of weapon, or you no longer need to hit them enough times to activate it, or what?

Nothing specified I'm afraid.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Stelas posted:

As long as the game immediately sends you another politely titled email from Setsuna, I'm good.

Seeing

"Subject: By the way..."
"Body: I AM GUNDAM!!!"

was the perfect introduction to the game as a whole.

Subject: I Will Kill You

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd guess that it's an option you can set to activate the attack on an enemy you've "worn down," rather than triggering automatically on said enemy. If so, it's a good idea; I've run into plenty of cases where the game will trigger a Storm Rush when I just want to get moving.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends has a crafting system, breaks the 99 level cap (now 999), includes an Ultimate difficulty mode meant for co-op play, and a bunch of other neat stuff.

When's DW8wXL coming, Koei?!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

What is Commander mode?

And that Ultimate, I wonder how it will be laid out. Playing Chaos is already glass cannon as is (you can die easily but with the right effects you instant kill everyone else) so I bet the most they'll do is disable health regeneration entirely :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Famitsu is leaking as per usual and DW8 with Xtreme Legends is featured for PlayStation 4. There's some weird poo poo that isn't translated by mainstream media yet so here's the apparent cliff notes as interpreted through Google Translate.

quote:

"any imposition of storm rush, the only military commander character stamina bar and name, BGM in combat to flow at random can be set
to free mode to add "again" " shadow prison - Dark Side Princess ~ " "Regurina (CV: Yu Kei Saito)", "Kaeria (CV: Shoji宇芽incense)", "Vu~eruza (CV: Yuko Ushida)", "Lilia (CV: Ichiki Chihiro) " capture vacuum, cake, rotating saws, hot steam, automaton clock, without killing"
So yeah, random battle music jukebox and shockingly the four main characters from Deception 4: Blood Ties are going to be guest characters :psyduck:

I'll update this with an English translated article when someone (probably either Gematsu or Koei Warriors) does it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
:toot:

I may have this one fully completed before XL is released.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tecmo Koei just released a new update for Dynasty Warriors 8 in Japan, maybe coming soon to NA/EU. In this update, you'll be able to prepare your save data to transfer to the Xtreme Legends version of the game. Surprisingly enough this also includes the PlayStation 4 version!

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Has anybody played the Fist of the North Star 2 KOEI game? Is it fun enough to warrant me poaching my brother's PS3?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

TerryLennox posted:

Has anybody played the Fist of the North Star 2 KOEI game? Is it fun enough to warrant me poaching my brother's PS3?

It's okay, but it gets pretty stale after a while. Despite the improvements made over the original, it's not as good overall.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Lunethex posted:

I think this will make Li Dian at least 1.5x more useful

edit:

TerryLennox posted:

Maybe like once for an hour or two, but mostly no.
The lack of jump really hurts some characters and the whole system is kinda stale because the movesets are a lot more limited. I'm fond of making combos and honestly this game is kinda bad in that regard.
Even the story mode isn't told that well, and at points you'll be like "Can I just get to the boss already?"

Trollhawke fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 22, 2013

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Opened up DW8 on my 360 today, and there was another update. I can't find anything about it via Google. Any ideas?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Something I did not realize: the Vita version of Xtreme Legends is actually Dynasty Warriors 8 WITH Xtreme Legends, like the PS4 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJ1WmJiRUc

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The combo version will be for the PS3 too I believe.

edit: I've always been interested in that "with" since unlike most English loan words it is only ever written in Roman characters in titles and stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TerryLennox posted:

No, despite being faster and having more characters it's actually worse than the first game because the story mode is split between five minutes of cut-scenes followed by a 30 second segment where you actually play the game then back to the story and the alternative mode is a bunch of boring prequel crap rather than the cool 'what ifs' of the original.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Looks like I better pick the first one then.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It doesn't help that one of the selling points for the second was that it would go past the beloved ending of the original series into Hokuto no Ken 2, and at least one goon already broke down many pages ago just why HnK2 (the manga/anime) was so much worse than HnK... KOEI treated it like a selling point, but having it at all was an irreparable flaw of Ken's Rage 2's story mode even if grown-up Lin and Bart's movesets are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TerryLennox posted:

Looks like I better pick the first one then.
No, I think you shouldn't play either of them.