Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
lol nexus 10 go home youre drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pagancow posted:

Kindle Fire HDX has a better display than iPad Air

i demand my Apps to have the widest color gamuts

i will not stand for inaccurate angry star war bird colors!!!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i am Verry Annoyed at apple. my facebook is not the rights hade of blue

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

what are the axises on that graph represent.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
not coVERING ENOUGH GREEN YOU WILL EGRET THIS

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

echinopsis posted:

what are the axises on that graph represent.

color components

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
are video editing shortcut keyboards any good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cubemario posted:

are video editing shortcut keyboards any good

no

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i mean they're not bad but the shortcuts are very easy to learn and also you should set your own because the defaults are terrible

if you buy a keyboard you have to stick with the defaults or suffer

only reason to get one is if you're an old who cant learn keyboard stuff easily but if you grew up playiong videogames and stuff then it's trivial

also first thing you should do in any NLE is move whatever functions the arrow keys perform in that NLE to the WASD

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
thanks for the info

i visited an old guys studio and he had one of those, which i had never seen before. now i know they're useless for me, since i've played many a bideojame

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah my boss has one. it suits his needs. but he had to learn to use NLEs after online editing on giant tape consoles

it's kinda weird. i'm 10x faster than him as far as getting around an NLE but he still keeps up productivity somehow.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
the guy i visited was also using VLC as his media player of choice. i explained to him the folly and that video isnt supposed to stutter on playback and introduced him to MPC-H instead, he was much happier

preachin' the good gospel of YVCPOS

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
you didn't make fun of him for using windows?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
there are so many problems with the way he runs his business on the production and post-production end that the OS is the least of his problems

using crappy tinny speakers (no headphones either) to monitor his audio
multi-monitor setup, and the monitor's are ASUS and not even IPS
bought a NEXFS700 and doesn't know how to make much use of it, and didnt know what bit rate he was using (it was 22,000kb/s

he's a nice guy though and he can probably hook me up with some opportunities with the connections he has, so i'm not being a dick and telling him how he's doing everything wrong

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
is he just an editor? most editors are kinda clueless about the technical side (and it's fine).

if he's actually delivering with that setup then yeah that's pretty crazy

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
he's been in the business since 2001, i don't know the full situation of his business. i think he's a bit under-staffed at the moment, and he's the CEO. he seems to do a bit of everything, including a lot of video editing.

it's shocking to learn he's been at it that long and he and his staff are making a lot of amateur mistakes.

you'd think being in it that long, you'd have things pretty refined by that point.

so yeah, he's actually delivering with that setup. i'm afraid to find out how he encodes the final product to his clients :shepface:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Also 'pro' video story of the day:
Back in college, the post house that was working on some Discovery show asked if we could grab some pickup shots for them because they forgot. We used some canon HDV camera we had at the time (lol 2008), grabbed the footage, wrote all over the tape and box and envelope 'HDV with 24p 2:3 pulldown'

*3 weeks later*
:phoneb: yeah you sent us a blank tape
:phone: we shot it, I verified it about 3 times
:phoneb: No, you sent us a blank tape. We put it in our Panasonic HVX200's, there was nothing. Put it in our Sony DV decks, only timecode.
:phone: That's an HDV tape champ. DV decks can't read them. Panasonic cameras can't read HDV, note the lack of HDV logo anywhere on the camera. Fedex me back the tapes and I'll get you some ProRes files.
:phoneb: Don't worry, we'll figure it out *spends $2000 to have another facility put the footage onto a D5 tape*

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yep, 2000s broadcast before the budgets started to get squeezed

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i didn't know that srgb and rec.709 were the same

my monitor has preset modes for srgb and "adobe rgb" . what the gently caress is adobe rgb

srgb and rec.709 are identical in terms of color space but not necessarily electro-optical transfer function (or gamma or whatever you want to call it)

srgbs eotf doesnt use a normal power law curve like 2.2 gamma

this is supposed to be like a CRT, higher gamma near white, almost linear near black

on the other hand rec.709 doesnt even have a defined eotf in the spec
thats what happens when you make your hdtv standard in 1990
i guess they thought whatever we would use today would behave like CRTs
so a lot of people just use 2.2, 2.35, 2.4 or whatever
there is also bt.1886 which defines an eotf for rec.709 (21 years later)

bt.1886 is like srgb only with overall higher gamma values but not many people use it

a lot of people just use 2.2 for both srgb and rec.709 so yeah they can be identical sorry for wasting your time

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

that explains why all the colorists manuals say to monitor around 2.4 Part of the spec says "encode 2.2, view 2.4 in dark settings"

nobody views 2.4 lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
2.4 lol

what's the best way to colour balance in after effects or is that something that i should be doing in premiere?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Premiere Pro isn't color managed at all so I wouldn't be doing anything color critical in Premiere without an external monitor you can calibrate via some SDI link.

Now, you _can_ cheat by profiling your monitor, and creating a "my monitor profile inversed to rec.709" LUT with a program like DispcalGUI and then apply an adjustment layer on top with the LUT loaded in Premiere Pro CC. You will view correct colors/gamma etc in the color space you are going to HOWEVER you will need to remember to REMOVE the adjustment layer for final render.

This all assumes you have access to a working colorimeter and access to software that can generate V2 ICC profiles (V4 aren't supported in DispcalGUI yet)

Just use after effects, the program is color managed and will read the .icc profile you generated for your monitor.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 6, 2013

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
i learned there's such a thing as a variable frame rate, with parameters for it that you can set

why would anyone use this :stare:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cubemario posted:

i learned there's such a thing as a variable frame rate, with parameters for it that you can set

idk animes?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cubemario posted:

one weird trick for encoding video. everyone hates him!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cubemario posted:

Recording videogames that can't maintain a completely stable framerate (i.e. all of them)

Also there are tons of TV shows that were recorded on film and displayed on video with 3:2 pulldown but have certain sequences where they were sped up to 29.97 or where effects/transitions were done at 29.97

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 6, 2013

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Cubemario posted:

i think voyager/tng/ds9 dvds have to be carefully picked apart since its a mix of film and video and poo poo so they get vfr'd if someone is doin dirt like encoding them

also top gear is 25 in the studio, 50 in everything else

V

F

R

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just deinterlace everything probelm solved :downs:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

doin dark business

must retain temporal resolution

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Cubemario posted:

Anroid (lol!!!) cell phones can't maintain a constant framerate, so to save space they do VFR

Nvidia is doing this with their Recording software that competes with fraps. Makes video+audio sync impossible in all NLEs because nobody does VFR unironically.

happauge capture cards do this becuase lol.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://nautil.us/blog/the-math-trick-behind-mp3s-jpegs-and-homer-simpsons-face

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i wish this article were compressed into a readable format

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pagancow posted:

Premiere Pro isn't color managed at all so I wouldn't be doing anything color critical in Premiere without an external monitor you can calibrate via some SDI link.

Now, you _can_ cheat by profiling your monitor, and creating a "my monitor profile inversed to rec.709" LUT with a program like DispcalGUI and then apply an adjustment layer on top with the LUT loaded in Premiere Pro CC. You will view correct colors/gamma etc in the color space you are going to HOWEVER you will need to remember to REMOVE the adjustment layer for final render.

This all assumes you have access to a working colorimeter and access to software that can generate V2 ICC profiles (V4 aren't supported in DispcalGUI yet)

Just use after effects, the program is color managed and will read the .icc profile you generated for your monitor.

i figured as much, know some good resources for learning proper colour correction? i can do it with photos fine but when i get into after effects i have no idea what effects to use

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i figured as much, know some good resources for learning proper colour correction? i can do it with photos fine but when i get into after effects i have no idea what effects to use

i used this book when i was learning:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321713117/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's pretty good.

i'm sure there are some tutorials online but the actual process is pretty simple. you just need to understand the concepts, which is what the book is for.

i don't know much about color management because i always correct through an external monitor. after effects strikes me as being really cumbersome to correct in but i'm not sure what your options are for color managed NLEs/Color Correction suites.

oh, the RGB parade is the best scope.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

one simple math trick discovered by a single mom to compress homer simpson's face
korean animators hate her!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

~Coxy posted:

one simple math trick discovered by a single mom to compress homer simpson's face
korean animators hate her!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i wish the current writers would fourier transform a good simpsons episode so they could figure out how to write a funny one!!!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
the most interesting thing about fourier transforms is that they are essentially equivalent to epicycles

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Malcolm XML posted:

the most interesting thing about fourier transforms is that they are essentially equivalent to epicycles

wow, fourier transforms must be really uninteresting then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wheany posted:

wow, fourier transforms must be really uninteresting then

dont sign youre posts!!!

• Locked thread