Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sonata Mused posted:

I want a School of the Undefeated of the East and a Master Asia parallel running around like Ral.

The episode was loving hilarious and fantastic but now that you mention Master Asia you suddenly made me disappointed after the fact. Rival dude's karate master? Should have been Master Asia. Oh God, imagine if that was Master Asia. You have no idea how much I'd be into a show with both creepy awkward Ramba Ral and Master Asia running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sonata Mused posted:

I want a School of the Undefeated of the East and a Master Asia parallel running around like Ral.

Pixiv source

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

The episode was loving hilarious and fantastic but now that you mention Master Asia you suddenly made me disappointed after the fact. Rival dude's karate master? Should have been Master Asia. Oh God, imagine if that was Master Asia. You have no idea how much I'd be into a show with both creepy awkward Ramba Ral and Master Asia running around.
It was Master Asia's brother, Champion Eastern Hemisphere.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So I know that the intent was probably to show off how powerful the new cannon was. But there is a small part of me that can't help but think the directors were poking fun at the green GP-02 by having it be destroyed after taking a shot to the shield (its one weak point!)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

KenO (storyboard and mecha director for episode 5) said on his twitter he put the God vs Shining scene in solely because he wanted to draw it. So yeah, there's a bunch of mecha nerds staffing individual episodes and just throwing things in for fun.

In fact, there have been tweets after nearly every episode from various staff members saying who worked on what scene, which is pretty rare for anime; the individual mecha directors just seem to be having fun in general.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Out of curiosity, who's the guy behind Dijeh vs Freedom and Zaku Amazing vs Justice?

It's good to hear that even the staff are having fun with this. :unsmith:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I'll have to go look that up but here's the rest of the known episode 5 stuff just for the sake of it -

Ken Ootsuka - Storyboard, Mecha AD, Key Animation
scenes: God/Shining, Rick Dias, Butler vs Satan, Victory vs Fenice
Yoshikazu Tomita - Key Animation
scene: first half of Build vs X Maou
Eiji Komatsu - KA
scene: second half of Build vs X Maou
Satoshi Nishimura - KA
scene: Build vs GP02

And some things to look forward to: Obari is the mecha AD for episode 7 and has been tweeting about BF a ton. He's pretty drat excited about the whole thing and wants to do another episode if he can.

aers fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 5, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Man, this is the best Gundam show in years. Because the basic premise behind the show isn't insultingly stupid, sure it's super but it's a fun and enjoyable stupid that has a lot of care put into it.

Also Mao tried to pay for his meal with this thing

Hilarious.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Next episode's preview is Sei's mother channeling Murrue Ramius.

Dunno if any of you have picked up on it, but she is :ssh:

And so i'm not just being smartass and spoiler quoting, just going to chime in and say Mao's introduction was great. Maybe I was hoping too much but with the God and Shining diorama at the beginning, Mao being a sterotypical J-name for a Chinese person (don't quote me on this one) and Mao mentioning his "shishou" and the dojo flashback, I was hoping Mao would be some sort of Domon Kasshu analogue with a fists-and-feet Gundam X.

But nah, I'm just dreaming :allears:

quote:

Rival dude's karate master? Should have been Master Asia. Oh God, imagine if that was Master Asia.
...and Gammatron fuckin nailed how I felt about it - in a series with a Ramba Ral-alike and Zeon cosplayers (shudder), that would put the cherry on top :unsmith:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I don't think the show mentioned what happened to Sei's father, but has any supplemental material mentioned where he is?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

UncleRadnor posted:

Dunno if any of you have picked up on it, but she is :ssh:

And so i'm not just being smartass and spoiler quoting, just going to chime in and say Mao's introduction was great. Maybe I was hoping too much but with the God and Shining diorama at the beginning, Mao being a sterotypical J-name for a Chinese person (don't quote me on this one) and Mao mentioning his "shishou" and the dojo flashback, I was hoping Mao would be some sort of Domon Kasshu analogue with a fists-and-feet Gundam X.

Mao isn't Chinese, he's from the Kansai region, with an extremely thick dialect and accent.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Is that an electric guitar rifle with a guitar case shield? :psyduck:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Azubah posted:

I don't think the show mentioned what happened to Sei's father, but has any supplemental material mentioned where he is?

I think he's just travelling around, presumably perfecting the art of Gunpla and Gunpla battling and participating in friendly matches and poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azubah posted:

I don't think anyone's said anything but considering the flashbacks and the dramatic framing of the photos I'm pretty sure the dude's dead.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Endorph posted:

I don't think anyone's said anything but considering the flashbacks and the dramatic framing of the photos I'm pretty sure the dude's dead.

He could just be that staple: a lionised deadbeat. Or on the road doing Gundam fights. Whatever.

I thought the Gundam Extreme looked alright previously, but TNG's picture puts me right off, the anatomy and proportions seem off.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

His dad is going to eventually pop up with a mask and fight him. Comedy option would be the same but with his mom.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

He's alive. Right now he's traveling the world promoting Gunpla.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cao Ni Ma posted:

His dad is going to eventually pop up with a mask and fight him. Comedy option would be the same but with his mom.

God I hope it's his mom, and that she's basically Quattro, in that everyone knows it's her but goes along with the ruse anyways because she's just doing it out of love of Gundam. It'd also fit with the VA since she played Vega in Gear Fighter Dendoh, who I understand is basically the same kind of character as that too - training her son while wearing a mask. I don't think she's supposed to be a good builder or pilot by what little the show has said of her though. Still, it could just be them underselling her intentionally so that it comes out of left field when it happens.

Also, while I'm full sure the dad is alive I almost hope he's not just because I'd love to see how they could possibly have him die in a tragic gunpla accident.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 5, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

Also, while I'm full sure the dad is alive I almost hope he's not just because I'd love to see how they could possibly have him die in a tragic gunpla accident.
Maybe they tried to have a gunpla battle with the life-sized Gundam and he got crushed.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Endorph posted:

Maybe they tried to have a gunpla battle with the life-sized Gundam and he got crushed.

His Gunpla exploded and he now has to wear a mask clearly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
His mask is made out of pieces of HG 1/100 RX-78-2 gunpla? I would love it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

His disguise is actually just a box with the word GUNDAM written on it, and a cardboard mask with the word CHAR.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think that would make him one of the best Char clones on that premise alone.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Takeshi tries to do that Char thing, only for Sei to go "Hi dad! :haw:" the moment they meet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love that this show knows exactly how seriously to take itself, with gunpla pick-ups, gunpla dojos, and gunpla mental battles.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Don't forget building gunpla in a moving truck and using gunpla to pay for trips and meals in lieu of money.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
China's dad is either the only sane man on the show, or the only one who hasn't seen the light. "He tried to pay me with a toy!"

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

With each passing episode I'm becoming happier that I'm waiting for the Master Grade for the Build Strike, mostly because of how many off the cuff weapon upgrades Sei's been giving it. Hopefully by the time he does a full suit upgrade it'll be something on the level of the IWSP Strike pack.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really hope he replaces the shield at some point since he's already re-designed the rifle. I think the shield is just an awful looking piece of ugly, marring an otherwise pretty nice suit. The new rifle is especially tasty looking. I think the wings are pretty ungainly looking as well, but I have less hope they'll get replaced.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TARDISman posted:

With each passing episode I'm becoming happier that I'm waiting for the Master Grade for the Build Strike, mostly because of how many off the cuff weapon upgrades Sei's been giving it. Hopefully by the time he does a full suit upgrade it'll be something on the level of the IWSP Strike pack.

One fun thing about the Strike is the different weapon modules. It could be nice (for the show, less so for your wallet) if they go that route, and have it use a different loadout as needed. I like how this latest upgrade came about, though. "Hmmmm, the X Maoh has a giant fuckoff laser. Wait, I know! We also need a giant fuckoff laser!"

I'm still curious to see how the Build MkII will come about, though. I thought it'd be as a result of the Build Strike getting trashed, but it seems not. Maybe that comment on Sei lacking imagination will motivate him to make more kitbashes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fred is on posted:

One fun thing about the Strike is the different weapon modules. It could be nice (for the show, less so for your wallet) if they go that route, and have it use a different loadout as needed. I like how this latest upgrade came about, though. "Hmmmm, the X Maoh has a giant fuckoff laser. Wait, I know! We also need a giant fuckoff laser!"

I'm still curious to see how the Build MkII will come about, though. I thought it'd be as a result of the Build Strike getting trashed, but it seems not. Maybe that comment on Sei lacking imagination will motivate him to make more kitbashes.

The fact that the Mk.II seems to heavily tied to Reiji while the Build is so heavily tied to Sei seems to imply there will come a time when Reiji needs to make his own Gunpla. The Build is all over the advertising and OP so I don't think it's going to be a case of the Mk.II replacing the Strike (especially since it doesn't really seem like an upgrade so much as a sidegrade) but it'll probably be something Reiji builds or works on himself.

We've also seen that there can be multiple people battling at once (Reiji's Ball vs the Zeon dudes) so it's possible that Reiji and Sei may pilot together. I don't know how they'd square that with Reiji being necessary for the Strike to go all-out though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 7, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

tsob posted:

Don't forget building gunpla in a moving truck

I've done this.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Either Mao brought a airbrush/spray can with him or he hand painted the white trim on the kyshatria, which I commend him for, because handpainting white is hard as hell, not to mention how tiny the trim is. He must have steady hands to do that in a truck.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Clearly Mao's pockets are filled with masking tape.

A lot more likely than him carrying a compressor around anyways, no way he air brushed that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just watched all the episodes a couple days ago and the greatest gag so far is an Italian dude voiced by Graham Aker driving around Japan in a Vespa picking up chicks with second tier gunpla and yelling really really bad Italian.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
So is this just medabots with gundams? Cause I'd watch the poo poo outta that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

gobbledygoat posted:

More or less. If you want to just enjoy stupid fun than its perfect.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

gobbledygoat posted:

Yep. With Ramba Ral as both Mr. Referee and Chick Selling Guy.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Eej posted:

Just watched all the episodes a couple days ago and the greatest gag so far is an Italian dude voiced by Graham Aker driving around Japan in a Vespa picking up chicks with second tier gunpla and yelling really really bad Italian.

I'm sorry, what about the Victory is second tier? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

High grades are cool and all, but Master Grade is where it's at. :colbert:

• Locked thread