Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

CaptainCrunch posted:

I love everything about my new air. However they apparently didn't put any ram in there because the drat thing can't keep two webpages of text loaded at the same time in safari. >:/
All the time reloading and refreshing.

Yeah it is really pissing me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Speaking of safari, I can't even open a second tab without it crashing. Just hitting the plus sign sends me back to springboard. I've also found that I can't get past the title menu in Magic 2013 and a few other apps seem to have crash issues.
Anyone else been having issues? Is this just cause the iPad Air has new hardware and things need to be reoptimized? It seems pretty un-apple for then to not have even tested safari on their new tablet.

I don't think that's something everyone is experiencing, that's a pretty glaring bug. Restart the device first if you haven't. Otherwise, I'd try doing a restore, testing safari before and after restoring from your backup.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Alright, I'll have to run through that when I get home. Good to know I might be able to get it working. It's pretty annoying being limited to one tab.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

vaginal culture posted:

Yeah it is really pissing me off
Doesn't really happen here. Did all the time on my ipad 1 though and it pissed me off immensely.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

CaptainCrunch posted:

I love everything about my new air. However they apparently didn't put any ram in there because the drat thing can't keep two webpages of text loaded at the same time in safari. >:/
All the time reloading and refreshing.

Yeah… Why the hell did they cheap out on the RAM? It seems like it has to reload pages more than my 3 did. It's much faster reloading them, but still, uhg. It's the only time I notice the RAM "problem", but it's a pretty big deal as I use the thing for web browsing a lot.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I returned my Air yesterday because of the lack of ram (safari constantly refreshing tabs) and general ios7 instability. Animations were lagging like crazy, and the os feels so much slower than on my 5s. I'll wait for the 2014 rev with more RAM and a more stable OS.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Btw...Wasn't it really a question of memory allocation rather than not enough memory? If that is the case, couldn't a software update (in theory) solve the trouble with refreshing tabs?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Xabi posted:

Btw...Wasn't it really a question of memory allocation rather than not enough memory? If that is the case, couldn't a software update (in theory) solve the trouble with refreshing tabs?

If that's the case, they should have sent out the update during Gen 1.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

ddogflex posted:

Yeah… Why the hell did they cheap out on the RAM? It seems like it has to reload pages more than my 3 did. It's much faster reloading them, but still, uhg. It's the only time I notice the RAM "problem", but it's a pretty big deal as I use the thing for web browsing a lot.

Hmm, this is really troubling. I was planning on upgrading to an Air or the new mini, as my biggest complaint with the current Mini is the lack of adequate RAM. I often switch between the browser and Google Drive, as I do a lot of work on Drive and it always has to reload forcing me to renavigate in Drive and lose my session on Safari on certain sites I use frequently.

I am starting to wonder whether this new generation is not going to fix this problem yet, and I need to wait.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It'll at least be *better* than your mini since it has twice the RAM of that.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Endless Mike posted:

It'll at least be *better* than your mini since it has twice the RAM of that.

Will the retina display be more demanding on RAM, though, making any improvement in spec make little difference in terms of app reloading?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I don't mind the refresh thing too much since I use this mainly for consumption. I always thought it was a chrome thing specifically because I recall using other browsers never having that be a problem.

I used to use iChromy and Atomic Web Browser. Both of which I stopped using only because I found that having synced bookmarks across my platforms (home PC, laptop, iPhone and iPad) was really really useful.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Speaking of the mini, how's the battlife on the original? I was contemplating the Target deal but saw some people bitching about 3-5hr life on the mini. Is it really that bad? For my usage the long battery of my OG is more important really than the performance.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Startyde posted:

Speaking of the mini, how's the battlife on the original? I was contemplating the Target deal but saw some people bitching about 3-5hr life on the mini. Is it really that bad? For my usage the long battery of my OG is more important really than the performance.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Maybe it's just because I'm at home and my internet/Wifi is good, but the Air's occasional refreshing of Safari Tabs could not be further from an imposition (and actually it is often barely noticed.)

Just jumped around. Seems like 1 in 4+ tabs refreshes when clicking around. And, yeah, it literally does like a flash of the screen and it's loaded. Sooo... I'm not disputing other people's complaints. But it doesn't seem (to me) like any kind of real issue. Maybe it's different if you have/use the Cellular one out in the wild?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 6, 2013

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Feenix posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm at home and my internet/Wifi is good, but the Air's occasional refreshing of Safari Tabs could not be further from an imposition (and actually it is often barely noticed.)

I have the same experience - I barely notice the refreshing because its still refreshing significantly faster than the iPad 3 ever did.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

spaceship posted:

I returned my Air yesterday because of the lack of ram (safari constantly refreshing tabs) and general ios7 instability. Animations were lagging like crazy, and the os feels so much slower than on my 5s. I'll wait for the 2014 rev with more RAM and a more stable OS.

I'm really considering doing the same. Might get a mini as a stopgap til a better ipad comes out. The RAM is just too low.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Feenix posted:

Just jumped around. Seems like 1 in 4+ tabs refreshes when clicking around. And, yeah, it literally does like a flash of the screen and it's loaded. Sooo... I'm not disputing other people's complaints. But it doesn't seem (to me) like any kind of real issue. Maybe it's different if you have/use the Cellular one out in the wild?

It would be less annoying if it put you back in the same position on the page you were on, but it starts at the very top. I just don't see why they couldn't have put another gig of RAM in.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've been trying to make tabs refresh like people are complaining about, and I can't. I opened 6 bookmarks in Safari, browsed around, tabbed around, went to a game, played a movie and came back to Safari. None of the tabs refreshed.

Ram uses battery, right? Is that the constraint from Apple's end?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not to insult you but the tab is refreshing when the page goes grey for a moment. It's not even a second long so you might miss it.

Try going to a heavy site like new york times, the verge, and washington post and then switch back and forth.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
japtor is a cool dude for posting that Target tradein program promo. 200 bucks for a 3.5 year old iPad is pretty sweet.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Mu Zeta posted:

Not to insult you but the tab is refreshing when the page goes grey for a moment. It's not even a second long so you might miss it.

If you don't notice it, is it still a problem?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

japtor is a cool dude for posting that Target tradein program promo. 200 bucks for a 3.5 year old iPad is pretty sweet.

Any idea what people are getting for 16 gig wifi iPad 2? Would love to get my son a mini instead of the 2, better size.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
$125 regularly. $200 is the minimum for this promotion, which ends on the 9th. Check all models here: http://targettradeinprogram.com/search/1/cat/ipads/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How long does the promo go? It looks like they'll give me $223 for my 3rd gen, though that doesn't seem like hardly enough considering it is 64 gb Verizon. No one is bidding on ebay, though. :(

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The best everyday "trade in for a gift card" deal is usually from the Amazon Trade-in Store.
http://www.amazon.com/Trade-In/b?node=2242532011
This Target deal's big deal is the $200 minimum.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

How long does the promo go?
Friday. It's right there on the site and the post right above yours.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

$125 regularly. $200 is the minimum for this promotion, which ends on the 9th. Check all models here: http://targettradeinprogram.com/search/1/cat/ipads/

I keep seeing that $200 is the minimum but when I click on iPad 1st gen and answer the 2 questions that it runs and has no cracks it says they'll offer me $65.

$65 actually seems fair. I wouldn't pay anything close to $200 for an iPad 1.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's offering $190 for my 3rd gen iPad

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jerkstore77 posted:

I keep seeing that $200 is the minimum but when I click on iPad 1st gen and answer the 2 questions that it runs and has no cracks it says they'll offer me $65.

$65 actually seems fair. I wouldn't pay anything close to $200 for an iPad 1.
You guys aren't paying attention. It's in-store only! Go to Target to get a $200 gift card for your iPad 1, otherwise setting for $60 bucks on their website.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You guys aren't paying attention. It's in-store only! Go to Target to get a $200 gift card for your iPad 1, otherwise setting for $60 bucks on their website.

That's why I had the question if anyone had any experience. If its $200 minimum and an iPad 1 qualifies joe would intuit that an iPad 2 should go for a little more!

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Welp, I know where I'm going after work. I cant believe my iPad 1 is worth $200 though. How is this at all profitable for target?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

If I had to guess it's I likely only for a scannable sku, so probably iPad 2 and up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For my 64gb iPad 3 wifi, the Amazon trade-in is much better. Target is offering $205 and Amazon is offering $285 if it's in Like New condition, $256 if it's Good.

e: I guess the program benefits everyone with an iPad 1 the most since there's that $200 minimum.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For my 64gb iPad 3 wifi, the Amazon trade-in is much better. Target is offering $205 and Amazon is offering $285 if it's in Like New condition, $256 if it's Good.

e: I guess the program benefits everyone with an iPad 1 the most since there's that $200 minimum.

Seriously. My iPad 1 crashes anytime it tries to run something released/updated within the last year. I could not in good faith accept $200 selling it to someone privately, but if Target wants to throw money at me, I'm down.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just called my local store and talked to a nice young gentleman that may or may not have all the facts. He did say any store that sells contract cell phones are doing the promotions and keep different hours in the store (there until eight tonight but the store is open until ten). He said every model is $200, which is the part I'm unclear on as surely a 3 or 4 would be more. But I'm concerned about a 2. He made it clear it did not have to be used on another iPad. Their iPad minis are $299, where did this $270 number come from? Another stackable promotion I am not aware of?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smallmouth posted:

If I had to guess it's I likely only for a scannable sku, so probably iPad 2 and up.
I just went to Target with a coworker and watched him trade in an iPad 1 for $200 in store credit. No box. No charger.

You guys really don't believe Target's website, do you? :raise:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I just went to Target with a coworker and watched him trade in an iPad 1 for $200 in store credit. No box. No charger.

You guys really don't believe Target's website, do you? :raise:

I didn't see anything about in store trade in on the link several posts up. It's not target I'm dubious of. :ninja:

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
How strict are they about the screen being scratched? Mine has the obvious wear and tear of a 4 year old device, but nothing major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just traded in an iPad 1 and got $200 gift card in 3 minutes.
The guy didn't even turn on the iPad to check if it worked, he just filled out the computer form and added my device to the stack of 6 other iPad 1s that had also been traded in that afternoon.

This is a really good deal, goons, and if you want to get the most possible money for your iPad 1, this is your very last chance.