Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Just a general discussion point, I have a hypothesis that it's a it's guys with a 'poor' ratio of stikeouts to walks that get inexplicably screwed by the SL due to engine quirks. For example, due to playing in the 60s in candlestick park, Mays has a BB:SO ratio of about 9:10. Arod is like 6:10. Conversely guys that over-perform have excellent ratios - RIGGS! master of the universe has a 2:1 BB:SO ratio.

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I can say when I am evaluating a trade, SOs and BB:SO ratios are the 3rd thing I look at after OPS+ and age vs career length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
In the intermediate period between the Expansion Cup and the Dispersal Draft, the Greatest* Googly-Mooglies (*not really) have made the following changes:

Off the 30-man roster
2012 Boone Logan
2012 Nick Swisher
2012 Russell Martin
2013 Andre Ethier
2013 Paco Rodriguez

On the 30-man roster
1926 Butch Henline
1926 George Harper
1948 Phil Cavaretta
2013 Brian Wilson
2013 JP Howell

New lineups and bullpen configuration can be found in my team doc and my roster post.

The Goog fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 6, 2013

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Pick 'em: Gauntlet Round IV!
Pick TWO!
Haukness Mad Knights
Hawk City TWTWs
Mercury METSSS
New Vegas High Rollers

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Pick TWO!

Haukness Mad Knights
Hawk City TWTWs
Mercury METSSS
New Vegas High Rollers

(Have I missed any picks that I can still rectify? I forget)

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
Pick TWO!
Haukness Mad Knights
Hawk City TWTWs
Mercury METSSS
New Vegas High Rollers

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Smasher has allowed me to pick my own prize, and the stipulation that it was any player from Detroit Tigers history, so I selected 1913 Ty Cobb.

But wait, cbx, you might ask, Don't you already have 1909 Ty Cobb? And you're not in the DH league? What type of insanity are you planning?

And I would answer, Ty Cobb in CF, Ty Cobb in RF too. And a top of the order that features 3 of the best hitters in SL history in the 1-4 spots is kinda dangerous, with Cobb leading off, followed by Nap Lajoie, then another Cobb, and then Jimmie Foxx to knock 'em all in? Sounds good to me.

But wait. I'm giving expansion cup owners a chance to own a Ty Cobb of their own. Need a CF or RF in his early prime, who consistently produces outstanding results and has a pretty decent arm and range in your vast outfield? I'm open to offers of the following sort: first round dispersal draft picks. OR. Elite, prime age SS/LF candidates from ANYONE.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Speaking of the Dispersal Draft, with that last Gauntlet round completed we now have the draft pool set.

You can take a look here: http://tinyurl.com/DispersalDraftXI

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
The dispersal draft will start Saturday.

e: Depending on how quickly the draft goes, I may need to take an extra week to 10 days before I'm ready to start Super-League XII.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The dispersal draft will start Saturday.

e: Depending on how quickly the draft goes, I may need to take an extra week to 10 days before I'm ready to start Super-League XII.

Take your time. I know you're feeling burnt out, and I can always do the franchise challenge.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
He could even join in! Make the Cubs team or something.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

cbx posted:

the franchise challenge.

What's that?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Pick TWO!

Haukness Mad Knights
New Vegas High Rollers

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

We've been using the Super-Feeders list and picking a franchise, then assembling the best team we could while staying in that franchise. I'm going to run a season of this in between Super-Leagues.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think it's appropriate that my filibuster/obit ended with the "end" of the universe. Well done.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Fun fact about the franchise challenge: Running five copies of Walter Johnson does not leave you with enough points to buy anything else good.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Another fun fact about the Franchise Challenge; It is realistically possible to have 5 Hank Aarons on a team.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Pick TWO!
Haukness Mad Knights

Mercury METSSS

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Another fun fact about the Franchise Challenge; It is realistically possible to have 5 Hank Aarons on a team.

I think you mean Hanks Aaron. :v:

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'm not sure I'm comfortable adopting a naming scheme that means 2 Walter Johnsons are Walters Johnson.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Zodiac5000 posted:

I'm not sure I'm comfortable adopting a naming scheme that means 2 Walter Johnsons are Walters Johnson.

It was mostly a joke - as far as I know you don't do it for people's names, but the plural of, say, Surgeon General is Surgeons General.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Rogii Hornsby

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Gaunlet roster:

Stadium: Ebbets Field post-1948

Lineup:
code:
LF - '89 Rickey Henderson
2B - '15 Eddie Collins
CF - '86 Barry Bonds
DH - '96 Manny Ramirez
C  - ’51 Yogi Berra
1B - '67 Joe Torre
RF - '21 Harry Heilmann
SS - '36 Arky Vaughan
3B - '65 Ron Santo
Bench:
code:
1B - ’65 Ernie Banks
1B - ’15 Jack Fournier
SS - '95 John Valentin
RF - '46 Mel Ott
RF - '36 Paul Waner
Rotation:
code:
SP - '95 Roger Clemens
SP - '22 Walter Johnson
SP - '15 Ed Walsh
SP - '03 Deacon Phillippe
Bullpen:
code:
MU - '58 Whitey Ford
CL - '02 John Smoltz
SU - '03 Mike Timlin
SR - '95 Mike Stanton
SR - '95 Alejandro Pena
MR - '01 Keith Foulke
LR - '88 Randy Johnson
You don't need minor leagues for the gauntlet, right? Because I don't feel like typing all that out.

Strategies:
code:
Hit and Run: -2
Sacrifice Bunt: -4
Squeeze Play: -3
Extra Bases: +2
Steal Bases: +3
Tag Up: +1
Pitch Out: -2
Intentional Walk: -2
Pitch Around: -1
Infield In: -1
Guard Lines: -1
Cutoff Throws: -1
Pinch Hit: 0
Pinch Run: -4
Defensive Replacements: 0
Start on Short Rest: 0
Pitch Through Trouble: +2
High Pitch Counts: +2

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
So, the draft starts this weekend. And it's a pretty deep one. Who to draft? Well, since I spent a few weeks staring at your teams, I figured I'd offer some suggestions.

The Unofficial, Completely Unprompted, Totally Nonbinding Dispersal Draft XI Mock!

1. Mitchell Kernels - Willie Wells '38

Being a team that lost over 110 games, the Kernels have an absurd number of real holes and would probably be much better off trading the pick away for a few great players than one elite one. Still, should they decide to stand pat, given how Smasher won't stop talking about him, Willie Wells is probably the BPA in this draft. And the Kernels need a shorstop.

2. Greatest Googly-Mooglies - Mickey Mantle '61

The latest incarnation of the Googly-Mooglies isn't an especially good team, but I don't think it's necessarily doomed from inception. The pitching staff, assuming Kershaw is solid and an additional starter is drafted/acquired some other way for insurance, might be servicable. The bigger problem with the team is offense. Old Man A-Rod and Robinson Cano are your best hitters. So, let's go with the all-around best hitter in the draft, in my opinion. Plus, Cy Williams sucks, so hey. All the better.

3. Fourside Spooks - Tristram Speaker '15

The Spooks have a lot of weaknesses. The pitching staff is going to get murdered in the Super League, and there are serious talent deficiencies in at least three of your starting position players. Much like the Kernels, the best bet would probably be to trade down/out of the first round in hopes of acquiring a talented pitcher or two. But, since that is beyond the scope of this exercise and Maddux probably isn't worth the 3rd pick with so many great hitters left on the board, Tris Speaker it is.

4. South Dakota Marmosets - Joe DiMaggio '36

At least the Marmosets, unlike the Spooks, actually used an Astros team with good players on it to form their team. At least, one good player. I cannot condone the use of Craig Biggio as a SL starter, but at least he's on the right side of 30. As a relatively unrelated aside, Mogul thinks Biggio is still young enough to play catcher adequately and his bat would probably play better there. But then you'd need a 2B. And you need OF help as it is.

5. The Worst - Barry Bonds '00

Come on, you know you have to. You're a DH team, you can play them all at once.

6. Bloomington Bullseyes - Alex Rodriguez '01

Only the second team so far where I didn't at least idly think about drafting a Maddux. The Bullseyes actually have a rotation that might succeed in the Super League, but at the same time, it could also implode and fail horribly. Still, that's an improvement over a lot of these teams. The Bullseyes would ideally replace Teixeira and Gamble as well, but with the sixth overall pick, you need to take a premium position player. And since Michael Young is terrible, the choice is obvious.

7. Idaho Potatoes - Greg Maddux '93

The Potatoes, much like everyone else in this draft, need help on both sides of the ball. Stan Musial is, of course, incredible, and he has some decent supporting offensive players, but I still don't really like the Potatoes offense. On the flip side, Togie loving Pittinger is SP1 and that is going to end in nothing but tears and bloodshed. The first Maddux is off the board.

8. Babylon Boneheads - Greg Maddux '02

Being a team based on the Big Red Machine, I can't really have a problem with the Boneheads, even if I think their offense is pretty suspect for the most part outside of those pieces. Atlee Hammaker is staff ace, which gives me chills, so while I think Pujols or an Ott would be a more productive choice, the Boneheads need more pitching.

9. Dorchester Phantoms - Willie Mays '65

The Phantoms actually have an interesting collection of position players and a rotation that doesn't quite make me want to kill myself. At least things appear to be moving up. In any event, the biggest weakness for Dorchester is probably SS, but I wouldn't really call Barry Larkin a 1st round pick. So, since Hank Lieber is the second most questionable position player on the team, I guess the choice is obvious.

10. Portland Hipsters - Albert Pujols '07

Unfortunately for the Hipsters, many of their best players are either rookies or infants, so they're likely to be somewhat unpredictable in the SL. Still, assuming the rolls go their way, the Hipsters look to be a decent team, with a competent rotation and no real holes (aside from the lack of a true SS). Smasher maintains that the Hipsters will receive a special mystery prize as promised, so hopefully that will solve the SS problem. In the mean time, Pujols is the best hitter on the board, and the Crime Dog is nothing special.

11. Zombie Llamas - Mel Ott '35

The pitching pieces left aren't mid-1st round material for the most part, and I can't help but think TF Llama's love of dingers will shine through. Babe can move to left to make room for Ott, Harry Hooper is no great loss.

12. Chi-Town Wests - Lou Gehrig '36

The Wests are one of the top teams coming out of the Taggart League, with a strong lineup featuring Teddy Ballgame, Hammerin' Hank and a number of other solid offensive players. The rotation leaves a lot to be desired, with Gaylord Perry as staff ace. This is not the time for pitching, however, and given the makeup of mks's last two teams I doubt he will think so either. After all, the doomed Southie Hitmen looked like they might have been a fringe contender on the back of their offense, and I think this team might be even better in that respect.

13. Fhloston Pharmaceuticals - Ed Walsh '08

Want to ape the Somali Pirates? I guess you've got a Rickey and a Frisch, but there's still a long way to go. Still, a top-shelf deadballer seems like a good start. Eddie Plank is also applicable, I personally like Walsh better.

14. Brooklyn Bombers - Bill Dickey '36

Unlike the rest of these teams I didn't spend two weeks curating every last little pointless roster move, so I don't really have much of a feel for the team. But, this one is actually pretty easy given the Yankee restriction and how dubious the catcher situation is.

15. Krakow Dragons - Juan Marichal '65

The Dragons are another strong offensive team that has a miserable pitching staff. As cool as it would be to add an Ott or a Bagwell to their already formidable lineup, that pitching staff will kill them if they don't find a real ace. And Marichal is pretty cool. Gives up a lot of dingers, but I'm confident the Dragons can hit plenty of their own.

As for the Protectors and Thunder, they get prizes, and probably have enough knowledge that I can't offer significantly useful insight. So I'm going to call this here. Good evening, everyone.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Haha, four Cosmobats in the top 15 of your mock draft there. Don't listen to him new owners, these players all suck!!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It was mostly a joke - as far as I know you don't do it for people's names, but the plural of, say, Surgeon General is Surgeons General.

I'll try again: Walters Johnson. Walter's Johnson. Walter's Penis. The joke.

Also, for content, my basic plan was to have Cecil Travis take over at 2B when I move Biggio to catcher after drafting an infielder. It's a beautiful plan, with no flaws at all.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 7, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Zodiac5000 posted:

I'll try again: Walters Johnson. Walter's Johnson. Walter's Penis. The joke.

Oh, no, I got your joke, it was just so obvious I didn't feel it was worthy of commenting on.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
I guess that's why they called him Big Train.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Okay, since I've finally hashed out the rules with some feedback from Smasher and other owners, it's time to announce...

The Franchise Challenge!

These are the rules.
1. You pick one MLB franchise and you get 12 points that you can use to pick different teams from throughout that franchise's history. The point values have been determined already and the team list can be found at the Super Feeders link in the IRC channel.
2. There must be a 5 year gap between teams that you pick. However, if you pick any MLB team that began their existence after 1960, there is only a 3 year gap between picked teams.
3. Trades will not be allowed.
4. There will be a 40 man roster.
5. One owner, one franchise. If multiple owners pick the same franchise, I will use random.org to pick a number and closest to the number keeps the franchise. Loser repicks with no penalty.

To start off the choosing of franchises, I'll be taking the Tigers. Have fun, guys!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

cbx posted:

Okay, since I've finally hashed out the rules with some feedback from Smasher and other owners, it's time to announce...

The Franchise Challenge!

These are the rules.
1. You pick one MLB franchise and you get 12 points that you can use to pick different teams from throughout that franchise's history. The point values have been determined already and the team list can be found at the Super Feeders link in the IRC channel.
2. There must be a 5 year gap between teams that you pick. However, if you pick any MLB team that began their existence after 1960, there is only a 3 year gap between picked teams.
3. Trades will not be allowed.
4. There will be a 40 man roster.
5. One owner, one franchise. If multiple owners pick the same franchise, I will use random.org to pick a number and closest to the number keeps the franchise. Loser repicks with no penalty.

To start off the choosing of franchises, I'll be taking the Tigers. Have fun, guys!

I'll cover the Red Sox, of course. I think I can still do double-Pedro, double-Clemens even with those rules.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I'm gonna grab the Brewers, because I have hate in my heart.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Double Santo will lead the Cubes to victory!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Blue Jays are go.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I have chosen the Rockies AND the Marlins AND the Rays AND the Diamondbacks, and the combined team still looks terrible. Hooray!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

White Sox!

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
I have chosen the Oakland Athletics.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I'm taking the Braves.

Link to Current team
http://tinyurl.com/bravesfranchise

Field is Turner Field.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 8, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Indians will do as Indians do and preform moderately well but not fantastically.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Gonna try my hand on the Reds then.

CVE fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 7, 2013

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Astros!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
The Minnesota Twins/Washington Senators are mine!!