Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Anatharon posted:

"Really? They're pretty fugly" says the Snatcher who is fake-dating a massive :btroll:. :v:

Shinigami-whatever is way better, I think, but Scumbag Loser isn't straight up bad. Yet, at least.

Yeah, I checked this out because I thought "Scumbag Loser is definitely a name that catches my attention". The way other posters in here have said Shinigami-words ended made me want to avoid it but now I at least think I'll go back and give that a look as well.

Shame that this series apparently suffers the same problem though which makes me think the author needs a good editor or SOMEONE to help him out because being great at introducing series with interesting hooks and then giving up because you wrote yourself into a corner isn't a particularly good way to go about your creative writing career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Dimension W

A man who dislikes electricity meets an android. (By the way electricity is produced by batteries that produce energy from the W dimension.)

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Dorohedoro
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/KRmB4BW.jpg :nws:

This seriously is the best "new" series I've in awhile. Warning though, lots of violence.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Neo Helbeast posted:

Dorohedoro
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/KRmB4BW.jpg :nws:

This seriously is the best "new" series I've in awhile. Warning though, lots of violence.
Um, that doesn't really do much to sell it. At all. It's just an image of an alligator dude chomping down on someone's head. I would pick a far more interesting page like the followup to that chomping:

But, seriously, it's kinda a weird manga, though quite fun. Lots of crazy stuff happens--that image's the least of it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Warning that Dorohedoro is ridiculously gory.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

RatHat posted:

Warning that Dorohedoro is ridiculously gory.
And ridiculously awesome.

If you want a strange, strange, awesome comic, this is it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It starts off a little weird but if you can get into the world and characters then Dorohedoro is funnily enough one of he most ridiculously charming series out there.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Pierson posted:

It starts off a little weird but if you can get into the world and characters then Dorohedoro is funnily enough one of he most ridiculously charming series out there.

I think the charm lies in the juxtaposition of a completely bizarre setting with characters that are almost too accepting and relaxed about it.

"Oh, you have a gator head? That's cool." "Oh, our leader got horrifically dismembered and now there's lots of mushrooms growing everywhere? I guess we should go find a magic cat to fix it." "Oh, so you're kind of a spawn of satan now? At least your cooking is really good."

While reading it, I kept waiting for one of those generic shounen "WAAAAAAAAH" panels with everyone's eyes bugging out about how amazing something was. Never happened that I can recall.

Edit: Although the last few chapters I read were getting a little depressing.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Mirai Nikki.

I either really like this manga or I really don't and I still can't figure out which.

Also I don't think the creator likes women, the first two introduced are absolutely nuts. :v:

This one was my other idea but it's slightly spoiler-y.

Which volume/chapter is this? I took a look for Mirai Nikki but all I could find was a manga starring a kid with a beanie, doesn't look anything like this at all.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Same thing. Mirai Nikki gets pretty damned weird with its characters, despite appearing pretty normal at first.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Bisse posted:

Which volume/chapter is this? I took a look for Mirai Nikki but all I could find was a manga starring a kid with a beanie, doesn't look anything like this at all.

That guy doesn't show up for a looong time. Not for at least 2 or 3 story arcs, quite a few things happen before they get to him.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Pierson posted:

Wow just blazed through this, amazingly entertaining. Really good gags too despite having a fairly dark and gritty setting. I was especially impressed when i found the author was a 23 year old lady, which probably helps explain why the nudity doesn't seem too fan servicy (though there is a lot of it)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In retrospect that actually explains a lot, like Noi being built like a brick shithouse.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 12, 2013

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

One of the things that I found interesting about Dorohedoro is that people can be as insane as can be, they also do other things. Antagonists are doing things besides causing a ruckus. They may visit family/friends, organize a dinner or w/e and get plenty of screentime for it all.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I didn't like them trying to make me sad about Mushroom dude's tragic fate or whatever after the poo poo he pulled with his little Nazi dress-up mind control stunt. That really creeped me out after the character it happens to was handled so well the whole series. Not even Skull Mask's treatment, which gets pretty harsh, weirded me out that much.

Apart from that, Dorohedoro is amazing and one hell of a romp. Even the most one-dimensional character and villain somehow gets a little time and development and i found myself attached to characters that i at first thought to be mere cannon fodder or plot devices.

Also, my favorite character, and maybe page (warning, gore):

This brings the character to a point so elegantly. Look at that blush! :3: It's nothing special on first glance, but it gets better if you know who's under that mask.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'd been hurting for some entertainment recently, and somehow found myself in this thread. I don't read much manga (and incidentally haven't been terribly enthralled by most anime lately), but a few single images posted here did exactly what this thread was supposed to do. I've marathoned through several series that for the most part I've been really enjoying.

Most notably, Voynich Hotel, from this image alone:

I love this guy's sense of humor, and the rather simple art style actually compliments it really well I think. What's really nice is that it's not just a bunch of random gags; I was dying of laughter half the time reading this thing, but the story is quite interesting and fairly unique in its own right. I hope it gets picked up again.

A couple others I've really enjoyed are Bonnouji and Otoyomegatari. The latter just constantly blows me away with how breathtakingly gorgeous it is, while at the same time somehow managing to be incredibly tense and gripping.

I feel like I've only whet my appetite. I'm going back through the thread and looking for anything else that interests me, and I'll probably be going through the other manga threads soon too. So I just thought I'd pop in and say thanks to those of you who posted those great interest-piquing pages.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

not new or anything, but if you haven't read it you should

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I found out today that an xxxHOLiC sequel/prequel/whatever the gently caress is being serialised. If you liked xxxHOLiC, well, it's more of the same good poo poo.

xxxHOLiC Rei

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I read the first chapter of Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru today and it's weird but strangely compelling.

It's about a girl who's tsundere. Except in the manga's world tsundere is an established medical condition where the afflicted person can't help but react with violence and hostility to the people around them. I think the best way to describe it is as a black comedy sending up some of anime's silliest cliches. But it plays its premise completely straight in showing how messed up her life is as a result of her condition.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This is more of a request but on the topic of Mirai Nikki I like things that start off normal and get stranger later. I am a hero is a good example of that too, so any image-suggestions for something like that would be cool.

of bees posted:

That guy doesn't show up for a looong time. Not for at least 2 or 3 story arcs, quite a few things happen before they get to him.

He's gone really fast after he's introduced, which is an incredible waste of the series' best characters. Who cares about Yuno or Yuki, I want more of the Punishing Rangers.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Anatharon posted:

This is more of a request but on the topic of Mirai Nikki I like things that start off normal and get stranger later. I am a hero is a good example of that too, so any image-suggestions for something like that would be cool.
You really should read Qualia the Purple.

Feel kinda like I should just put that on my clipboard forever so I can just paste it whenever I need to.

edit: vvv :hfive:

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 18, 2013

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Anatharon posted:

Have you tried Qualia the Purple?

Edit: Heh. I'm not surprised, since Qualia is definitely what I think of when someone mentions starting off (mostly) normal and then getting strange.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 18, 2013

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

There are more than a few times in Qualia the Purple where you can pretty much feel yourself falling over the edge into a far crazier story.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Sket Dance

honkykong
Sep 20, 2005

Kimi no Knife

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I've been re-reading Bakuman recently:

I forgot how much I liked this series. Great characters, art, and as much suspense and hot-blooded spirit as you could possibly cram into a comic about making comics.

Edit: Also, I have to imagine Ohba and Obata saw it as a challenge when people made fun of the scene in Death Note where Light intensely eats chips and writes names in his notebook. Bakuman might be the only series in Shonen Jump history to frequently feature dramatic line graphs.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 19, 2013

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Wow just blazed through this, amazingly entertaining. Really good gags too despite having a fairly dark and gritty setting. I was especially impressed when i found the author was a 23 year old lady, which probably helps explain why the nudity doesn't seem too fan servicy (though there is a lot of it)

She's 36 actually (or did you mean she started it at 23?) But yeah it's incredible, I love the relationship between the doctor and his wife who became a Devil. Like she's now this incredible being who's no longer limited by many of the world's rules, but their relationship is still good.
I gotta reread it when I get the chance, I forgot so much of what happened.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mozuya-San is about a world where being Tsundere is a clinically diagnosed affliction, and follows a young girl who is infected with this terrible disease. It's pretty amazing. Unfortunately there's only two chapters out right now.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I thought this was perfect for this thread

Saito-kun wa Esper Rashii

It's a little fan servicey but a fun read

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Saitehen no Otoku

I'm not sure if I can recommend the manga but it's definitely a fun read.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Let's change it up a bit:

Convince someone NOT to read a manga with one image!

Choku!:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Beelzebub

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

nerdz posted:

Choku!:

Choku was loads better than the author's other work, Watamote.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

nerdz posted:

Choku!:

pandaK posted:

Choku was loads better than the author's other work, Watamote.

There is no truer fact in this universe.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Now look at all those dumb and wrong opinions.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Afterschool Military Activities

Start's slow, becoming amazing. Also a lot of heads and limbs being lopped off. :unsmigghh:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Oh man, I strongly recommend that Shingami-whatever comic from the Scumbag Loser writer. The ending is perfectly crafted to be as disappointing as possible. Once you've read this, you'll be able to handle any other botched ending, because goddamn at least the writer wasn't intentionally trying to gently caress with you.

This is the honest to god last page of the comic:

Truly stunning. The balls you'd need to write something like this are just unprecedented.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't even get how he wrote himself into a corner. Has he even said the specifics of it?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Isn't it more likely the manga just was cancelled and he was "Oh, whatever."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
It did get axed, but someone said they had read that somewhere last time the manga was brought up in some thread. No idea if there's any validity to it.

• Locked thread