Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Crosscontaminant posted:

Pupitar's hidden ability is indeed the same as its normal one.

Why d'you want an Unnerve Tyranitar, anyway? The SpD boost from sandstorm is way better than stopping the opponent eating berries.

I don't want an Unnerve one. I want to be sure it's my sandstormer and I don't have enough pokemiles to buy 20 rare candies to check.

e: Cool beans. That's probably the easiest way (without rare candies). Luckily I have a 6IV garchomp male for all my dragon stomping stud needs. :haw:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So, from Wonder Trades I got 2 Froakies, both male: a Timid Protean and a Torrent with 5 31IVs.

Would I be able to get a Protean to breed with the 5IV one by breeding the Protean with a Ditto? How much will I want to kill myself trying to do it? Since males are like 87% or something and the males only pass hidden abilities 20% of the time? Once I get a female with Protean then the ratio flips to 80% (or 60% or something) right?

And is Timid a good nature? I wasn't going to bother but getting the 5IV Froakie makes it appealing at least.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Ah. okay. If you breed two together you'll get either a mixture of Guts Larvitar and Sand Veil Larvitar, so you can then pick the Guts ones to keep breeding in the knowledge you're not getting any hidden abilities.

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
If I'm trying to breed a good Mawile, should I just not worry about the speed IV? I've got an adamant Mawile with Max IVs in HP, Attack, Defense, and Special Defense, and I'm curious if it's fine to just stop there or if I should go ahead and try to get a good speed IV, even though its base speed is terrible.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Constable Lemon posted:

I have adopted that strategy as my entire mantra. It's a baton pass team with no attack moves :ssh:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-60775921

I think I've encountered a Baton Pass team like this once ever, but that one time convinced me that putting Haze on my Crobat was 100% a good idea because I'm pretty sure I killed that guy's soul. :allears:

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

I think I've encountered a Baton Pass team like this once ever, but that one time convinced me that putting Haze on my Crobat was 100% a good idea because I'm pretty sure I killed that guy's soul. :allears:

Clear Smog has been showing up on a lot of egg move lists this gen and is a good solution to this strategy as well.

Edit: whoops wrong move.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LeafyOrb posted:

Clear Smog has been showing up on a lot of egg move lists this gen and is a good solution to this strategy as well.

You're all small time.

Topsy-Turvy. :getin:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

LeafyOrb posted:

Substitutes and Steel-types both block that one, is the problem.

The Leper Colon V posted:

You're all small time.

Topsy-Turvy. :getin:

Also blocked by subs, as well as Magic Bounce.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Afraid this got lost on the last page. Any ideas?

Reinanigans posted:

I'm trying to make a Super Singles team for the Battle Maison. So far, I've raised:

Charizard@CharizarditeY
Solar Power/Drought
Timid - 6HP, 252SpA, 252Spe
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

and

Venusaur@Life Orb
Chlorophyll
Modest, 6HP, 252SpA, 252Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Growth

Who would you guys suggest as my third? I was thinking maybe a physically inclined Lucario, or maybe a Mold Breaker Excadrill, or even Scizor, but I'm not sure. Ideally, I'd like a physical attacker, and someone who can bring some synergy with the others.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So I tested out the other day whether No Guard works with OHKO moves (which meant I had to Foresight a complicit Honedge and then use Guillotine on it). Since it does, is there any way to get a OHKO move onto a No Guard user in Gen VI before the box system is implemented? After finding this out, I immediately booted up my old Red version and acquired quite a few Machops and taught them Fissure, but it's gonna take a long-rear end time to bring them up all the way and I'd rather avoid the hassle.

Emalde posted:

:pwn:

I hope you meant FireRed.

Nope. :suicide: I have all the necessary cables and consoles to bring them all the way up. I've done it before. False alarm, misremembered.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 7, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I immediately booted up my old Red version and acquired quite a few Machops and taught them Fissure, but it's gonna take a long-rear end time to bring them up all the way and I'd rather avoid the hassle.

:pwn:

I hope you meant FireRed.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Reinanigans posted:

I'm inclined to recommend a Solar Power Heliolisk because Heliolisk is awesome, but it doesn't really cover anything the other two don't, so...Excadrill is probably a fine choice.

I'm curious how you plan to transfer that from gens 2 to 3.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I just saw a Power Herb Geomancy Smeargle Baton Pass over to a Mega Gardevoir with Stored Power :psypop: (This is roughly what happened to the opposing Pokemon.)

Well my plan of a Sub Protect Leftovers Ninjask has just gone out the window, I need to breed more Smeargles.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Shogunate posted:

I just saw a Power Herb Geomancy Smeargle Baton Pass over to a Mega Gardevoir with Stored Power :psypop: (This is roughly what happened to the opposing Pokemon.)
Set it up with Simple Beam first. :unsmigghh:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Nope. :suicide: I have all the necessary cables and consoles to bring them all the way up. I've done it before.

Except you can't trade up from Gen 2 to 3?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except you can't trade up from Gen 2 to 3?

I guess not-- Wow, where the hell is my original starter then?

Edit: Think I figured it out-- It looks like I reconstructed my original team from Gen I in Leafgreen and gave them all the original names, then forgot about it. The TrainerID is a name I certainly wouldn't be using around the time of Red version, so I guess that solves that. :smith:

Well, the question stands I guess-- is there any way to get a OHKO move onto a No Guard user? Guillotine and Sheer Cold don't look like they can be bred, but Fissure seems to have some more freedom to it. Seems like the trick is to get it on a Mineral group Pokemon somehow.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2013

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

Set it up with Simple Beam first. :unsmigghh:

Is that doable in single battles, cause if it is :stare:

Otherwise guess I've got a double battles team to make! How would I go about getting Simple Beam over to Inkay anyway?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I guess not-- Wow, where the hell is my original starter then?

Dead.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Shogunate posted:

I just saw a Power Herb Geomancy Smeargle Baton Pass over to a Mega Gardevoir with Stored Power

Yeeessssss. I love Geomancy-passing Smeargle but I haven't been able to come up with a way to make the best use of it. This is PERFECT.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Shogunate posted:

Is that doable in single battles, cause if it is :stare:
Technically, but in practice it won't happen. You'd need your opponent to send a Magic Bounce user in and reflect Simple Beam back at yourself.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

Technically, but in practice it won't happen. You'd need your opponent to send a Magic Bounce user in and reflect Simple Beam back at yourself.

Well there goes my hopes against the rocks, but double battle wise this is too amazingly stupid for me not to set up. My choices at the moment are Audino, Linoone, Delcatty and apparently Malamar. I asked before but how would I even get it on Malamar since it's an egg move?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Skitty -> Psyduck -> Inkay.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

Substitutes and Steel-types both block that one, is the problem.

Also blocked by subs, as well as Magic Bounce.

I didn't know substitute blocked Topsy Turvy. That's pretty convenient, I was worried I'd just always lose against Malamar.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

You can still power swap though!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

Skitty -> Psyduck -> Inkay.

Thank you for letting me unleash hell in the form of an artist, a squid and a psychic bride :getin:

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Well, the question stands I guess-- is there any way to get a OHKO move onto a No Guard user? Guillotine and Sheer Cold don't look like they can be bred, but Fissure seems to have some more freedom to it. Seems like the trick is to get it on a Mineral group Pokemon somehow.

Also in terms of this it's possible I think but not without Skill Swap mayhem. Breeding a OHKO move onto the likes of say Golurk isn't doable, and more or less in singles it's basically none doable. Orginally I was trying my hand at breeding a triple battle team revolving round the concept, but that's now been put aside for base power 260 Stored Power.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 7, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You can, however, get both Mind Reader and Sheer Cold on a FR/LG Articuno.

(Or any Articuno, but the FR/LG one is the easiest to actually get your hands on.)

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Garchomp is always a good option in this type of situation (scarf is popular and would probably fit). Cloyster would be great given that you aren't already using a sash, but you aren't very bulky and it needs to set up which probably isn't ideal. Really though in general I think you can't go far wrong with anything relatively tanky and 600+ base stats (or as close as possible). Be prepared to try a few different things...

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Constable Lemon posted:

I didn't know substitute blocked Topsy Turvy. That's pretty convenient, I was worried I'd just always lose against Malamar.

I can't honestly say I've ever tested it myself, but subs block just about every other status move, so I don't know why it wouldn't block Topsy Turvy. The only reason Haze works is because it targets the entire field.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Malamar seems like king poo poo of gently caress You Mountain but nobody ever seems to talk about him.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
How much impact does the Prize Money O-Power have? It stacks with Amulet Coin/Lucky Incense right?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

jerichojx posted:

How much impact does the Prize Money O-Power have? It stacks with Amulet Coin/Lucky Incense right?

It stacks with those and is totally worth using on Elite4 / Battle Chateau / Big-money trainers. I think you get 40-60k per battle.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

myron cope posted:

So, from Wonder Trades I got 2 Froakies, both male: a Timid Protean and a Torrent with 5 31IVs.

Would I be able to get a Protean to breed with the 5IV one by breeding the Protean with a Ditto? How much will I want to kill myself trying to do it? Since males are like 87% or something and the males only pass hidden abilities 20% of the time? Once I get a female with Protean then the ratio flips to 80% (or 60% or something) right?

And is Timid a good nature? I wasn't going to bother but getting the 5IV Froakie makes it appealing at least.

Timid lowers Attack and boosts Speed, so it's fine if you're running a Special Attack Froakie. With that said, I don't know how viable SpA-only Greninja is.

Although you'll be glad to hear breeding a male hidden ability Pokémon with Ditto now passes it down pretty often! That's how I got my female Adamant Speed Boost Torchic. Then you can breed your female Protean with your male 5 IVs (and Destiny Knot on one of them) and hopefully get pretty lucky again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

I can't honestly say I've ever tested it myself, but subs block just about every other status move, so I don't know why it wouldn't block Topsy Turvy. The only reason Haze works is because it targets the entire field.
Same reason Teeter Dance gets through. ...which is quite useful for Hackmons. :getin:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jerichojx posted:

As a point of reference I normally get ~24k from a Double Battle at Restaurant Le Wow (The one with 3 stars). With Prize Money Level 3 I pull in ~60k for the first 2 fights (I think I've gotten 3 before but it involves luck, disabling animations, and mashing the hell out of my A Button).

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Maide posted:

It stacks with those and is totally worth using on Elite4 / Battle Chateau / Big-money trainers. I think you get 40-60k per battle.

Pretty good in the restaurants too since it lasts until you finish all the battles.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The Leper Colon V posted:

Same reason Teeter Dance gets through. ...which is quite useful for Hackmons. :getin:

Welp. Okay yeah I guess Malamar just shits on every gimmick.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got my first shiny. Turco the Dragalge. It figures I would get it on my throwaway Y playthrough. I probably even got a medal for it that I can't put towards my main playthrough. At least it has 31 in speed.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Maide posted:

Use it on the restaurants to get big money on top of the mushrooms you get. You'll be swimming in money in no time (while also power leveling pokemon in triple battles).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Yeeessssss. I love Geomancy-passing Smeargle but I haven't been able to come up with a way to make the best use of it. This is PERFECT.

Why not just use Shell Smash? It gives similar boosts and you can still use a Focus Sash. Hell, if your opponent is bad enough you can even pass multiple Shell Smashes, even the most incompetent player won't let you do that with Geomancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Malamar seems like king poo poo of gently caress You Mountain but nobody ever seems to talk about him.

Malamar is great but I have no idea how to optimize them. I'm just happy to have a squid.

• Locked thread