Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bummey posted:

Two currency types. Usually, there are two currency types: One can be gained through in-game play and the other can only be purchased with real money. The latter gives better items, naturally, so it costs more.

Oh, I didn't notice they were silver and gold keys. I just glazed over at the first "keys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Emron posted:

Oh, I didn't notice they were silver and gold keys. I just glazed over at the first "keys."

Don't worry, that's the Correct response.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Heliotic posted:

How terrible is the Ultima game from EA?

On one hand, I really enjoyed Ultima back in the day but on the other I really hate being punched in the dick by EA.

Help me IOS games thread!

Bad. Bad bad bad.

The first thing you should know about Ultima Forever is that it's got nothing to do with Ultima. This game wants to be Diablo with an Ultima skin. The only Ultima thing about it is that you wander a map of Britannia and there are virtues and shrines and dungeons. The roleplaying aspect is nonexistent. Your character says things like "Virtues level me up. Got it." And "Okay, I activate shrines for buffs."

It's not Diablo either. You choose between two classes, fighter and mage. You play them by tapping on your enemies to attack. You have a handful of skills that unlock as you level. None of them matter because the ability to use more than one of them is behind a paywall. So you just roam around tapping on enemies and occasionally using the one ability you have unlocked.

Also, there is no loot. Not really. Enemies don't drop gear. You only get loot from chests, which are locked by "keys." Everything in the game revolves around keys, which are your standard free-to-play currency. There are three kinds of keys. The most common, bronze, drop from killing enemies, albeit not at a huge rate. Using bronze keys to unlock chests gets you some smattering of crap--common gear, common consumables, or common quest items. (Did I mention you need to use currency to open chests to get quest items? This game is terrible.) This is a bad deal so you're likely to convert those keys into the mid-tier currency, silver keys. Silver keys are hugely important because you need to spend them to repair your gear. Yes, your gear deteriorates in dungeons just by having it equipped and you need to spend your precious currency just to keep it maintained. Also, when you use silver keys to unlock chests you get uncommon drops.

The premium currency is the gold key. Gold keys give you rare drops when you use them to open chests. They also unlock inventory slots, allow you to use more consumables, and allow you to use more skills in dungeons. Pretty much everything your character can do is locked behind this premium currency paywall. You get a smattering of premium currency as you level up and you can get more by volunteering for odious marketing. Other than that, into your wallet you go.

Also, the loot you do get from chests is entirely randomized. It appears to have no relationship whatsoever to your character level. Your drops will be useless or unusable crap greater than 90% of the time. You will get drops of uselessly weak gear that requires high reputation in a high level area even to put on. You will get these drops in the game's introductory dungeons. And all you can do is hold onto that crap or destroy it because there is literally no economy. Players cannot trade gear. They cannot buy or sell gear. They only spend currency on random drops that they then keep or discard.

This game is a mess. It's not an Ultima. It's not fun as a Diablo. Everything that matters is locked behind a paywall. You can play it for free but you won't enjoy it. Stay far, far away.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Comrade Flynn posted:

That's literally every business for the last 2000 years. You understand what "marketing" is, right?

My point was that this is essentially a used car salesman admitting to his customers that he's selling busted cars at double their value, and having that ultimately be a successful business model. Marketers at least have the decency to pretend that they're selling you something of value.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Where the hell is Solomon Dark already.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Heliotic posted:

How terrible is the Ultima game from EA?

On one hand, I really enjoyed Ultima back in the day but on the other I really hate being punched in the dick by EA.

Help me IOS games thread!

It seemed pretty well done but the IAP totally ruined it. I played for a couple days and then when I started being required to KEYS to repair degrading ARMOR, I was done. The IAP model didn't even make logical sense with the game, like they took a decent game and tacked it on afterwards.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Emron posted:

Why are there two kegs of keys and why is one of them worth as much as a mound of keys or whatever.

Honestly who keeps their keys in a keg anyway!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spasticthinker posted:

Honestly who keeps their keys in a keg anyway!

Or makes them out of gold. Do you really want to operate a lock, which needs a series of spring loaded pieces of metal moved to precise positions, made out of a metal that you could deform with your hands?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Eegah posted:

Solomon Dark and the next Battleheart need to come out yesterday.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Eegah posted:

Raptisoft commented in the Solomon Dark video two weeks ago:
"As for release, things have gone a little slowly this fall, but I'm almost ready to commit to some hard dates. It will be beta (open) sometime in Nov, and release when nobody reports any more bugs."

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Do we have any word on when there will be a US release for any of the Dragon Quest games?

e: I saw articles that said "this winter", just wondering if there's anything more specific.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Tiny Death Star seems to have launched worldwide.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
With a cool no spaces, no caps style to boot!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

goethe gear xx posted:

With a cool no spaces, no caps style to boot!

Wow gently caress that's even worse than predatory IAP tactics.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I like TDS, however I haven't seen a Bux yet which worries me. I like how dropping off someone to a store removes a minute off stocking times. A plus I wished was in TT.

Can you guys shed light on how much Bux each elevator upgrade costs?

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 7, 2013

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

It looks like Final Fantasy 5 had a price drop. Now I just need to remember to download it when I get home.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Coq au Nandos posted:

It appears that there is no icloud sync support? Or is there a way to turn it on that I have not found yet?

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

FlashBangBob posted:

I like TDS, however I haven't seen a Bux yet which worries me. I like how dropping off someone to a store removes a minute off stocking times. A plus I wished was in TT.

Can you guys shed light on how much Bux each elevator upgrade costs?

The first upgrade is 25 bux. It doesn't show you the prices for the other elevator upgrades.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Duranki posted:

The first upgrade is 25 bux. It doesn't show you the prices for the other elevator upgrades.

Yeah, I know, I'm wondering if we know what the other ones are.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

FlashBangBob posted:

Yeah, I know, I'm wondering if we know what the other ones are.

2nd one is 75.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I was able to get the 75 bux elevator after 3-4 days of infrequent play. Just built more residential floors than you need to cycle dream jobbers through. Also keeping the game up and running, even if sitting on your desk can accumulate a good number of finder missions.

There is no iCloud sync (there wasn't any in Tiny Tower and that is the code base the game is built on).

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
What does finding rebel secrets get me? I don't think I really paid enough attention during the first one and missed what the outcome of those are.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

marshmonkey posted:

2nd one is 75.

I'm looking to make bux purchase and help line your pockets. I'm wondering how much it would cost to get all upgrades in one shot?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

eeenmachine posted:

There is no iCloud sync (there wasn't any in Tiny Tower and that is the code base the game is built on).

So the game is built on GameCenter save/restore?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So, for anyone that's interested, Ace Patrol's pseudo-sequel/expansion/reskin Pacific Skies came out last night. I know Ace Patrol got a lot of flak (unfairly, imo) for its weird pricing scheme, but Pacific Skies is a one-time purchase of $5 with no additional IAPs. It's effectively the original game reskinned and rebalanced for World War II, but so far I'm finding it to be superior in just about every way. There's more differentiation between planes, more variety in missions and campaigns, and optional permadeath for pilots.

Pocket Tactics has a full review.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

rotaryfun posted:

What does finding rebel secrets get me? I don't think I really paid enough attention during the first one and missed what the outcome of those are.

Click on the room below the elevator and it tells you what you're earning rebel secrets for.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Did the original Tiny Tower charge bux to move levels? Just noticed there's a 'level mover' VIP.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Duranki posted:

Did the original Tiny Tower charge bux to move levels? Just noticed there's a 'level mover' VIP.

Yeah, it was 1 bux. Don't think there was a mover VIP though.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

rotaryfun posted:

They are "ingredients" for Imperial Missions found on floor 0.

FlashBangBob posted:

So the game is built on GameCenter save/restore?

I don't believe it backs up to a server. Unfortunately Tiny Tower doesn't even reliably do this anymore in iOS 7 due to some changes in the OS.

FlashBangBob posted:

I'm looking to make bux purchase and help line your pockets. I'm wondering how much it would cost to get all upgrades in one shot?

I was on the second to last elevator and could have checked for you until I reset my game this morning, sorry :(

Duranki posted:

Yup, 1 bux. I'd suggest not wasting bux on moving levels and just wait for VIPs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eeenmachine posted:

Yup, 1 bux. I'd suggest not wasting bux on moving levels and just wait for VIPs.

Yeah like I can just ignore my OCD to keep everything organized.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
What is the purpose of having elevator icons have a "?" on them?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Coq au Nandos posted:

drat YOU NIMBLEBIT.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Satisfaction at being one more step towards wiping out those miserable insurrectionists once and for all? That should be enough.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

FlashBangBob posted:

What is the purpose of having elevator icons have a "?" on them?

Pretty sure they are non-random riders that have a chance to trigger a cut scene if delivered to the right floor.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can I play TDS effectively/casually without IAP?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

TraderStav posted:

I think so (in my incredibly biased opinion). After 4 days of casual play I was up to 24 floors.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
How involved were you guys with development? Was it just them licensing your game for a star wars version, but then building it themselves with your source?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

retro sexual posted:

How involved were you guys with development? Was it just them licensing your game for a star wars version, but then building it themselves with your source?

Yes, but with a lot of input from us (and Lucas) along the way.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TraderStav posted:

I've always found Tiny Tower to be the easiest of the Tiny<whatever> games to play without any IAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

TraderStav posted:

NB is generally the fairest freemium developer with this. If you're patient, you're fine.

• Locked thread