Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I kissed my black-and-white cat on his white neck this afternoon and left pink lipstick stains on him. They're on an area he can't reach to groom, and I tried to rub them off but they won't come off. I laugh every time I look at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So normally when me and my girlfriend are watching TV, Spenny will come and sit between us and demand rubs.
Last night, the TV is off, I'm lying on my side with my head in my girlfriend's lap, and she's idly stroking my hair.
Spenny walks in, looks disgusted at us, walks off.
A little later when I sit up, I notice he's loafed off to one side, just far enough to act like he's not watching, but still able to watch. The expression on his face is one of pure grump, we're talking claw trimming and a pill at the same time levels of grump.
He wouldn't even come when I started shaking a can of tuna at him.

Spenny is jealous.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I'm teaching my roommates puppy to howl with me because A) it is adorable and B) howling at her gets her attention like no other thing and she will do that head-cock thing pretty much indefinitely, at least until she feels the need to join in.

She's coming along nicely.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I screamed at my rats today. I had to clean their cage and they got out of the box I was holding them in. Then they knocked over their "litter box" until I got so fed up that I grabbed one of the poor guys and screamed at him.

I also favor one rat over the other, mostly because I only wanted one (but had to get another because the poor guy would leave his house even to eat or drink).

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Tristesse posted:

Ace is terrified of the word "pillow" for some reason. Sometimes I say it just to watch him scramble.

My childhood dog used to freak out anytime anyone whistled the Andy Griffith theme song or did an Arnold Schwarzenegger impression. These really bizarrely specific triggers were hilarious and constantly abused.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I left all my geckos, newt, and frog without provision for support to go to a wedding in Tahoe. I figure they will be ok :ohdear:

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.

Double Plus Good posted:

My childhood dog used to freak out anytime anyone whistled the Andy Griffith theme song or did an Arnold Schwarzenegger impression. These really bizarrely specific triggers were hilarious and constantly abused.

Andy Griffith used to come on at 5PM every day, and my dad would always be home at 5:15 or so. Whenever Andy Griffith's whistle would come on, Gypsy would go CRAZY and run to the door and get all excited. Whimpering and tail wagging like crazy. Anytime we'd whistle it any other time of day would set her off too. We called it dad's theme song. She'd get SO EXCITED to see dad we'd almost feel bad when we teased her with it. Almost.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
I'm sitting here home alone and I logged on to SA because I'm all scared. Why? Because one of my cats is sitting on the bed growling and hissing at nothing. He's so loud I can hear him from the other side of the house. My mind immediately jumps to the conclusion that we have evil ghosts, because I am crazy and easily frightened apparently.

cryingscarf posted:

Confession: after years of working in a kennel and talking to clients all the time, I do use the term "mommy" when pretending to talk in the point of view of the dog. Normally in "YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ME, MOM" phrasing.

Shoot me, I edge on furbabby talk.

I do this too. :( I talk to my dogs like they're kids and refer to my boyfriend as their dad. I know it's terrible but I can't help myself, and just try not to say it around anyone else.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

When my fiancee's cats fight with each other, I tell her "the kids are fighting again". :(

uptown
May 16, 2009
I had a bit more of a detailed post about calling my pets my kids, but it made me look even crazier than I normally look, rambling about my pets on the internet.

Long story short, I am the pet momma and my boyfriend is the pet daddy.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
I'm super creeped out because Abutiu just ran into the room I'm in carrying a steak knife in her mouth. I don't even know where she got it, we haven't used them recently. :ohdear: Between that and the scary growling cat I'm pretty sure an evil spirit has moved in.

On the plus side she handed it over to me immediately when I asked for it so I guess it can't be that evil of a spirit. Either that or my dog is just the best dog. (she is)

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I resent my boyfriend's family dog. She's a very sweet German shepherd with a lovely temperament, but she's got a skin infection that makes her scratch like mad and she gets dandruff and pulled-out hair everywhere and if I leave the bedroom door open, she goes and lays on my bed and gets it all gross, too. I vacuum and sweep and mop up dog hair and dandruff twice a day just because it bothers me so much. I want to like her, but I just can't.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I have a super whiny dog with a really low excitement threshold. Every time he starts freaking out I yell "YOU'RE UPSETTING THE BABY!" Which doesn't help. At all.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I call the foster cat Pookles or Poocat. Her real name is Pickles.

When she chases the original cat, I tell her off and chase her away, but when the original cat chases Pookles, I applaud and egg her on.

When they sit in the front room looking out over the front yard and the nature walk across the road and spot birds, or we get them to chase the laser pointer dot, they both make this creepy as gently caress noise/whine thing that reminds of Chatterer from Hellraiser and I can't wait for them to stop.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Bomrek posted:

she will do that head-cock thing pretty much indefinitely
This is a perfectly good reason to do anything.

When my dog was a puppy, the thing that sent him into perpetual head-tilt mode was fake chicken noises. Various members of my family would randomly start going "a-bok bok bok PERCACK" to confuse and aggravate him. I feel it made him into the man he is today.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Avshalom posted:

This is a perfectly good reason to do anything.

When my dog was a puppy, the thing that sent him into perpetual head-tilt mode was fake chicken noises. Various members of my family would randomly start going "a-bok bok bok PERCACK" to confuse and aggravate him. I feel it made him into the man he is today.

Um, he's pretty clearly trying to figure out if any of you have ever even heard a chicken before.

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 6, 2013

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Pew! Pew! posted:

When my fiancee's cats fight with each other, I tell her "the kids are fighting again". :(

:( my parents refer to our cats as their "grandkitties"

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Um, he's pretty clearly trying to figure out if any of you have ever even heard a chicken before.

I've long since come to terms with the fact that my dog is smarter than I am.

My other dog's puppy pet peeve was having raspberries blown at him so of course we did it all the time. It just made him fly into a whirlwind of teeth and destruction, though, because cattledogs are like that.

Confession: Annoying my dogs is my #1 pleasure in life. :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Tamarillo posted:

:( my parents refer to our cats as their "grandkitties"

My sister in law calls my cats her "niece and nephew." so loving weird.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Yeah my mom calls my dogs her granddogs, and her dogs are my dog's uncles. Her dogs are my "little brothers." She spent 30 years raising 3 kids and the last of us (my little sister) moved out last year and she's ~coping.~

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Avshalom posted:

Confession: Annoying my dogs is my #1 pleasure in life. :(

Yeah, I pretty much live to annoy my bird. It's even better when she gets worked up into a tiny adorable rage because I can restrain her with one hand easily.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Sometimes when skyping with my mom I call the rats her "grandkids" but it's only because it's hilarious how horrified she gets at the thought.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Wallace screams in his sleep and when he wakes himself up, bewildered and confused, I only laugh in his face.

Nth'ing the "grandpets" thing. I only just recently asked them to stop because it was seriously creeping me out. Sure I compare the cats to perpetual two-year-olds, but I don't view them as my loving children. Gross.

You'll get your stupid grandchildren when I'm good and ready, fuckdammit.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Ugh, my mother refers to my cats as her "grandbabies" and it creeps me out as well.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:ohdear: Gettin in on the grandpets train.

Except my mom sing-songs hellos to them when I talk to her, which is sort of cute because she does it in the happiest voice ever and it clearly makes her happy. And sometimes one of them will hear it and come trotting over with their goofy ears way too high.

Confession: Sometimes I hold the phone up to the dog and let them listen to my mom. Sometimes Amy whines and moans back at her.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My folks joke about the granddogs thing, but I don't think they really view any of my sister's and my pets as their surrogate grandchildren. My dad likes dogs better than kids and would be just fine if all we ever had was dogs.

Then again, they have an insta-grandchild, just add water - I married a man with a teenaged son, who is now an adult. My dad seems pretty happy with the arrangement; Mom loves babies and is very sad that we won't be having any. I'm sure my sister and her husband will have a whole litter of little ginger kids, though.

Confession time: every time I look into Garrus' cage and he's on his side not moving, I briefly hope he's died in his sleep. It's not that I particularly want him dead - cleaning out the second, smaller cage isn't much of a hassle, and he's actually much nicer now that he's on his own. It's just that he's reached an age where dying in his sleep painlessly is the best I can hope for, and I really don't want to deal with the misery of watching him go downhill.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I don't do the whole "furbaby" thing, but my dad has started calling Indy his "grandcat". I've told my parents I don't plan on having kids, so I'm hoping this means he's come to accept that grandcats are the closest they're going to get to grandchildren from me.

Oh, and a confession: Lately Indy has been waking up around 6:30 (and since the time change, 5:30) and knocking stuff off of my bookshelf. I keep old schoolwork there, and she's been ripping up my class notes out of boredom. The papers aren't really important, but it wakes me up and she's persistent about it until I get up and pay attention to her. I live in a studio so I can't just lock her out of the room, so instead I've been getting up, locking her in the bathroom, and then going back to bed. She cries pitifully but I want my sleep, dammit.

On a related note, if anyone has suggestions on how to keep a cat from destroying your belongings when you're trying to sleep, I'd appreciate it.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Robo Kitty posted:

On a related note, if anyone has suggestions on how to keep a cat from destroying your belongings when you're trying to sleep, I'd appreciate it.

Just lock everything unfortunately :( Decoy attacked multiple pairs of shoes and raked his claws down a $450 dress before I learned this lesson.

To contribute: The cats are now used to Da Bird, and Decoy is especially spastic over it and every night since the toy arrived I have psyched him up with it until the point of exhaustion - not because he needs the exercise, but because when he's pooped he lies flat on his stomach with his legs sprawled and pants like he's just run a marathon, complete with his silly little pink tongue hanging out.

I also trail it between the two cats because it sends them into literal hissy fits at each other because HIGH VALUE TOY OTHER CAT IS TOO CLOSE TO IT.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Yup, I get the "grandcat" thing too, and my parents get way too excited when I go away (or come home for the holidays) and Lille stays at their house, particularly since my dad isn't allergic to her. It's cringeworthy but I can't really complain about free catsitting. I caught my mom hand-feeding her bits of turkey on the couch around this time last year.

My cat lady sin is putting a litter box on the black marble floor in my bathroom. It's in a high-sided pan inside of one of these nightstand things, but a part of me dies inside whenever I hear litter getting kicked around, because I know it's all over that high-maintenance floor and I'm going to have to go vacuum it up for the fifth time today. I have to stifle my rage because it's better than having her piss all over my stuff.

I'm also stupidly looking at leather sofas despite the guy at Resto laughing in my face when I asked how well they hold up to cat nails. This is a hell of my own making.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

My nicknames de jour for my dogs are "fartface" and "fuckface". They're interchangeable, and can be applied to either dog.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I call my mom's dog "Dummy" and "Idiot head" all the time. Hes 5 years old and they adopted him from the shelter about 2 months back. It seems almost like he's never had a caretaker before who loves and plays with him. Or even any siblings to play with. You throw a toy and he stares after it bewildered. He doesn't know any commands either, though my parents are working on it. I know he can't really help it but whenever I dogsit and try to play with him he just doesn't understand and I always end up saying "Oh poor little dummy dog. You just don't know anything :3:"

Mom hates it.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Eh, my fiance' folks call his dog their "granddog." I think it's cute, since it's not like they're actually furbabby people. They just think it's funny, since they're probably not aware of the creepy people who call their pets furkids and poo poo.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
As someone who gets really creeped out by furbaby nonsense (skinkids and furkids and the like), I don't object at all to "granddog." I think it's kind of cute.

I also don't mind when someone at the vet's office or the pet store refers to us as "mommy and daddy" because people do that all the time and it seems like more of a headache to ask them to stop. I do not, however, really think of myself as my dog's mommy. I guess my lack of rage on the subject counts as a confession.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
My parents are "Mommy and Daddy" to the cats but I think it's more due to the fact those are their names now.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Ginny Field posted:

As someone who gets really creeped out by furbaby nonsense (skinkids and furkids and the like), I don't object at all to "granddog." I think it's kind of cute.

Yep, pretty much. If I ask the dogs 'Where's Grandma?' they run off to find my mum :3:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fraction posted:

Yep, pretty much. If I ask the dogs 'Where's Grandma?' they run off to find my mum :3:

Oooooh poo poo. Asa ~loves~ my mother more than any other human. Period. She spoils the beast rotten.
And refers to her as the grand-dog.
And when the wife got a new job that necessitated a 2000 mile move...I called my mom to tell her. First words out of her mouth?

"I'm going to miss your dog...I have to call you back" while in tears.

Gee, thanks mom.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
We have the whole "grandcats" thing here as well.

My parents have decided that since it looks like they are not getting grandkids from my husband and I OR my brother and his GF, that our cats are the next best thing. My mom and dad will call and ask how the grandcats and grandchickens are doing, and they all get presents on birthdays and holidays. Santa even sends them gifts thru the post as well.

It's almost sad.....my mom forgets our anniversary sometimes or birthday, but she has NEVER forgotten one of the cat's birthdays :) She even calls them on the day and asks to speak to them. I swear my cats all know her voice and start purring and making adorable noises when she calls.

Shame they have her already under the mind control...oh if she could only see them as the fuzzy overlords they truly are.

I really want to come back as one of our cats. They are terribly spoiled!

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
When I called home to tell my parents my plans for visiting for the holidays and mentioned I'd be bringing the cat with me, my dad was way more excited about that than the prospect of seeing me. And yes, Indy always gets presents for her birthday and holidays from my parents. But we've always done that for our pets; we're crazy pet people.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'm jealous of you with parents who love your cats. My mom prefers dogs, therefore she feels compelled to treat my cat ownership like some kind of rebellion. Any time I mention them she rolls her eyes and cuts me off with as if I was a 15 year old talking about getting a navel piercing.

When she was helping me look up ads for places to rent when i decided to leave my old apartment she kept finding nice houses that didn't allow cats. She'd "joke" that I should just get rid of them and kept reading aloud all the really nice features of the places I couldn't rent until finally I left the room. She still makes comments about how she doesn't understand why I keep pizza because he's so unfriendly. Well mom he's only unfriendly to scary loud strangers, this is how he is with me:

For content, before dinner time I sometimes purposefully make trips to the dinner half of the apartment just to work the kitties into a screaming frenzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

My bird pooped on my bedsheets and a visitor was like, wow that's gross. I told them, get used to it. What have I become?

• Locked thread