Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Hell, there's a Temple quest that sends you to the dungeon Dagoth Ur itself. There's nowhere sealed off from you based on quest progress, apart from the very final room of Dagoth Ur, a few locations at the end of the expansions, the Great House strongholds, and probably one or two places I'm overlooking.

All these years and I never knew. I don't think I ever did any temple quests or imperial cult quests. I thought both factions were kinda douchey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

All these years and I never knew. I don't think I ever did any temple quests or imperial cult quests. I thought both factions were kinda douchey.

Every faction in the game is run by opportunistic assholes that you want to usurp, that's the fun of them in the first place.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Temple is a cool faction, probably my favorite next to Telvanni, the first quest is a lot of work but then it gets going, and once you're high in rank a lot of NPCs will love you. IC is a little weird though and not very spectacular.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Tribunal Temple gives some great quests and has some awesome rewards, including the best armor in the game. It's probably the most unique faction in the game quest-wise (although Telvanni are still my favorite overall). The only thing that sucks about the Temple is having to kill my ol' vampire friends :( Oh and the pilgrimage quest can go suck a gently caress too, I'm betting a whole lot of people never realized how awesome the Temple is because they gave up during that poo poo.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cannot Find Server posted:

I swore there was also an egg mine or something that went under the Ghostfence, but I might be wrong.

I'm pretty sure you're right. Near ald ruhn?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Oh and the pilgrimage quest can go suck a gently caress too, I'm betting a whole lot of people never realized how awesome the Temple is because they gave up during that poo poo.

Amen to this. I've tried to do the Temple quests on half a dozen characters but I never made it through the pilgrimage until my latest one. It really is worth it once you get through that, though. The extra background it gives you on the Tribunal makes the main questline that much better.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Oh and the pilgrimage quest can go suck a gently caress too, I'm betting a whole lot of people never realized how awesome the Temple is because they gave up during that poo poo.

I was one of them.

I've been considering starting another character, though, so maybe I might try it again while I'm doing everything else.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I never really had any issues or complaints with the 7 pilgrimages quest, but there is another early quest where you must travel from basically southern Morrowind, all the way to the northern coast, without speaking to anybody. So that means no silt striders, boats, mages guild teleports, merchants, nothing for your cross-country trip.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I never really had any issues or complaints with the 7 pilgrimages quest, but there is another early quest where you must travel from basically southern Morrowind, all the way to the northern coast, without speaking to anybody. So that means no silt striders, boats, mages guild teleports, merchants, nothing for your cross-country trip.

If you have mark/recall and hilariously powerful jump spells (and you should :colbert:) then that quest isn't much of a problem.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Without modern "running doesn't deplete fatigue" mods that sounds like the biggest gently caress you player, ever. So much of vanilla Morrowind gameplay is so archaic or rear end backwards.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gobblecoque posted:

If you have mark/recall and hilariously powerful jump spells (and you should :colbert:) then that quest isn't much of a problem.

Yeah, last time I did it, I ended up just using the scrolls of Icarian flight to leap halfway across the main continent and land in the northern ocean.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Does anyone know a good "random bandit generation" mod? Like, in normal Morrowind you basically have the named caves with unique bandits, but outside of that it is :sigh: cliffracers. Ive found some mods, like MCA, but they have dumb requirements (must install my favorite dumb head pack) or random NPCs have hosed up leveled lists so you can be level 1 and meet NPCs who are in glass. I just really want to be able to battle it out with bandits in netch and chitin :(

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
I am attempting the grand bullshit task that is trying to get Morrowind Modded. The OP says "Download and install both .NET Framework 2.0 (make sure you get the right version)". What version do I get or how can I find out? I'm running windows 7 if that helps. Shrug.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Berke Negri posted:

Does anyone know a good "random bandit generation" mod? Like, in normal Morrowind you basically have the named caves with unique bandits, but outside of that it is :sigh: cliffracers. Ive found some mods, like MCA, but they have dumb requirements (must install my favorite dumb head pack) or random NPCs have hosed up leveled lists so you can be level 1 and meet NPCs who are in glass. I just really want to be able to battle it out with bandits in netch and chitin :(

I found this while looking at the Nexus the other day:

The Hostiles
"This mod adds generic enemies to the game world that randomly appear. The enemies are very diverse in race, class, gender and level."

Haven't tried it, though.

Edit: nm, that's not what you wanted

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I am attempting the grand bullshit task that is trying to get Morrowind Modded. The OP says "Download and install both .NET Framework 2.0 (make sure you get the right version)". What version do I get or how can I find out? I'm running windows 7 if that helps. Shrug.

It should be this one: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1639 which automatically installs the right version IIRC. I got a bit confused while looking for it on Microsoft's website.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
The Temple's popularity as a player faction isn't helped by the fact that--if you're aiming for a lore-friendly, roleplay-based playthrough and give a poo poo about faction dispositions--they don't really have any obviously great complimentary factions. The Imperial factions have this whole big web of interconnections; it makes sense to join a few of them if you're spreading your skills around at all. But the Temple pretty much stands alone (well Redoran traditionalism suits them obviously, and they get a +1 with lovely ol' House Hllalu I guess).

The Temple does loving rock, though; if you don't love Morrowind lore why are you even playing?

On my new character (that I haven't quite started yet because I've been dicking around with mods), I'm definitely going to make a Temple-based healer character and use pilgrimages as an excuse to go on my crazy robe-wearing staff-swinging adventures.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 6, 2013

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Tribunal Temple gives some great quests and has some awesome rewards, including the best armor in the game. It's probably the most unique faction in the game quest-wise (although Telvanni are still my favorite overall). The only thing that sucks about the Temple is having to kill my ol' vampire friends :( Oh and the pilgrimage quest can go suck a gently caress too, I'm betting a whole lot of people never realized how awesome the Temple is because they gave up during that poo poo.

On Xbox I remember just levitating and taping my analog stick for half an hour.

This time on PC I think I'm going to do it legit, on foot. :getin:

Edit: seems like a good time to ask: is there a good alchemy storage mod other than Alchemy Storage Helper? The version I can get on Nexus which mostly does what I want is really glitchy, which I've come to think is because the mod has no masters defined in the ESP. Not even Morrowind.esm. :psyduck:

Also, and kind of related, is there an FNVedit style program for Morrowind? None of the programs I've found are as usefully as that on.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 6, 2013

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-90-13583

maybe this?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Just make sure you get this: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2. It will work with both 32 and 64 bit operating system installations.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 6, 2013

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Agents are GO! posted:

On Xbox I remember just levitating and taping my analog stick for half an hour.

This time on PC I think I'm going to do it legit, on foot. :getin:

Edit: seems like a good time to ask: is there a good alchemy storage mod other than Alchemy Storage Helper? The version I can get on Nexus which mostly does what I want is really glitchy, which I've come to think is because the mod has no masters defined in the ESP. Not even Morrowind.esm. :psyduck:

Also, and kind of related, is there an FNVedit style program for Morrowind? None of the programs I've found are as usefully as that on.

It has no masters because it was created in the MWSE editor. This is not why it's glitchy. It's because it's the first script of its kind and never got updated when people found better ways to script that kind of thing. I have an alchemy sorter script in the Uvirith's Legacy MWSE add-on that solves a lot of ASH's problems (like not being able to load the last ingredient in the list), but it's tied to the desk in the Tel Uvirith lab. I have yet to perfect my own alchemy storage helper that adapts my scripts to a portable container. I still need to work out the write-to-file problems when dealing with multiple saves, as my current cludgey alchemy sack only stores the last ingredient list loaded into it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Without modern "running doesn't deplete fatigue" mods that sounds like the biggest gently caress you player, ever. So much of vanilla Morrowind gameplay is so archaic or rear end backwards.

Restore fatigue enchantments are super cheap. Seven points or so are enough to never run out again :colbert:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I have this sitting in my manager, but I wasn't using it from my last playthrough. I can't really recall, but I probably ran into a dude in adamantium armor in Seyda Neen and immediately turned it off or something. That Hostiles mod sounds kind of good though?

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010

Extra posted:

Just make sure you get this: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2. It will work with both 32 and 64 bit operating system installations.

Yep turns out I already have it installed which is why I was having problems. I got it running though! I can't believe it I've been wanting to do this for years but was so put off by the techno babble. I'm so pleased. Thanks OP for making this thread awesome.

A few more idiot questions. If I install a new mod am I still able to play a load file or do I have to make a new character every time I install a mod? How do I install mods anyway? I have the overhaul 3.0 MGSE thing it works great what an amazing program I could never do all that poo poo manually. I'm also having framerate issues outdoors. I went through the OP but couldn't really figure it out. Any easy things I can do to help this? Like do the in game options matter?

Thanks everyone and especially the OP for always making awesome game threads and the first post is amazing what an effort for such an old game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If I install a new mod am I still able to play a load file or do I have to make a new character every time I install a mod?

You can install 99% of mods at any time in your playthrough, its removing them mid-way through that can cause problems.

quote:

How do I install mods anyway?
Oh wow there's a big one. Well. It depends on what you want to add in, really. Googling someones verbose description would probably be best, as "How do I install morrowind mods" pulls up a thousand pages. If it's something simple that doesn't affect other mods or leveled lists (most things like weapons/armor/land don't), put all assets from the mod .zip (textures, meshes, and the .esp file) into your morrowind\data files folder, merging your existing meshes and textures folders with the mod's. Then click on morrowind launcher.exe or whatever it's called now and make sure the mod you want is checked. Then you're good to go.

quote:

I'm also having framerate issues outdoors. I went through the OP but couldn't really figure it out. Any easy things I can do to help this? Like do the in game options matter?

Use the MGEXE.exe in your morrowind folder and tweak the settings there. Simple things like reducing draw distance can help a ton. MGSO also has a low option you can use if you just want to automate the process.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Is MGE worth getting? Does it work alongside MWSE? Are some older mods requiring it just not worth the hassle?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

Is MGE worth getting? Does it work alongside MWSE? Are some older mods requiring it just not worth the hassle?

Yes, but I'd recommend getting MGE-XE instead, which is fully independent nowadays and is a much more efficient and powerful version of MGE. The only thing MGE has on it (still) is a broader range of shaders to choose from, but the ones included with MGE-XE are good enough to satisfy most people (the usual SSAO, HDR, DoF, etc.) Both work alongside MWSE, and both have their own internal versions of MWSE, but for the most part, you don't have to meddle with enabling or disabling external/internal MWSE versions, because they should work together right off the bat.

I guess the only reason not to get MGE/MGE-XE is if your PC is absolute garbage and can't take advantage of any of the graphical features either utility provides. Otherwise, I'd consider it to be a requirement of any Morrowind installation. It's completely configurable so you can even keep a short draw distance and maintain the perpetual fog that made the original Morrowind feel so much larger than it actually was.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MGEXE is certainly worth getting, unless you want Morrowind to look like 1400x900 rear end.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
I'm reinstalling Morrowind for the 4th time I think? Jesus Christ, this game.

Speaking of MGE-XE, what shader setups do people use? I've been tweaking with the ones built in, and have yet to get something that I really like. I have no patience and want to get to playin, so what other people have been rolling with would be awesome.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yes, but I'd recommend getting MGE-XE instead, which is fully independent nowadays and is a much more efficient and powerful version of MGE. The only thing MGE has on it (still) is a broader range of shaders to choose from, but the ones included with MGE-XE are good enough to satisfy most people (the usual SSAO, HDR, DoF, etc.) Both work alongside MWSE, and both have their own internal versions of MWSE, but for the most part, you don't have to meddle with enabling or disabling external/internal MWSE versions, because they should work together right off the bat.

I guess the only reason not to get MGE/MGE-XE is if your PC is absolute garbage and can't take advantage of any of the graphical features either utility provides. Otherwise, I'd consider it to be a requirement of any Morrowind installation. It's completely configurable so you can even keep a short draw distance and maintain the perpetual fog that made the original Morrowind feel so much larger than it actually was.
Derp, Im dumb. Not MGE, I meant MWE. I run mgso and im pretty sure that comes with MGE XE and MWSE. I am curious of a block assigned to button mod, but it requires MWE which to my initial impression is MWSE's jankier older brother.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

Derp, Im dumb. Not MGE, I meant MWE. I run mgso and im pretty sure that comes with MGE XE and MWSE. I am curious of a block assigned to button mod, but it requires MWE which to my initial impression is MWSE's jankier older brother.

Oh, MWE as in Morrowind Enhanced? I've never use it, so I have no idea about that one, unfortunately.

smokyprogg posted:

I'm reinstalling Morrowind for the 4th time I think? Jesus Christ, this game.

Speaking of MGE-XE, what shader setups do people use? I've been tweaking with the ones built in, and have yet to get something that I really like. I have no patience and want to get to playin, so what other people have been rolling with would be awesome.

I generally use SSAO (Fast), DoF, Sunshafts, and Eye Adaptation HDR. I've edited SSAO to only run indoors (which helps in grass-heavy exteriors) and Sunshafts to only run when the sun is actually out (not sure if this yields any performance gains, but whatever). The shaders that come with MGE-XE are pretty simple, and I don't think you'll produce anything similar to the dramatic custom shaders that are compatible with MGE.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Berke Negri posted:

Straight from the OP:

quote:

Recommended Mods:
Note: DO NOT use Morrowind enhanced. It's incredibly buggy and can cause in-game crashes.

I used it ages ago, and it didn't seem horribly buggy... but nowadays even a bog-standard Morrowind install has been altered drastically (MWSE, MGE-XE, Code Patch, FPS Optimizer, 8GB compatibility, possibly Steam...).

The best bet for that is probably to wait for OpenMW, when such additions should be trivial to add.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
What's the quickest way to break the game? I've seen the speedrun video and I get how alchemy is broken but aside from all that stuff. What's a good way to get mad cash? IIRC you need golden saint soul gems to perma enchant, where do I grab these easy? How do I manipulate custom spell building?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What's the quickest way to break the game? I've seen the speedrun video and I get how alchemy is broken but aside from all that stuff. What's a good way to get mad cash? IIRC you need golden saint soul gems to perma enchant, where do I grab these easy? How do I manipulate custom spell building?

You can easily grab a soul trapped golden saint with no penalty during an early mages guild quest when a character upstairs in balmora walks away from her desk, it has a ridiculous value so sell it to either creeper in caldera or the talking mud crab, which is a pain in the rear end to find.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Steal the alchemy set at the Caldera mages guild and make potions. All the potions, doesn't matter what they do, then hop down the street to the orc manor and sell them to the scamp.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Go to the Mages guild in Wolverine Hall, one of the people there sells infinitely restocking ingredients to make restore fatigue potions, spend most of your money on that, make as many potions as you can. Then go to the Creeper and sell them all, take the money back to Wolverine hall and repeat. Whenever the Creeper runs out of money, just wait 24 hours.

Edit:If you buy a stack of something the merchant restocks, then exit out of dialogue, then enter dialogue again and sell it back, they'll restock the larger amount.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 6, 2013

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Don't forget the custom "Fortify Personality 100 Points for 1 Second on Self"/"Charm 100 Points for 1 Second on Touch" spells so you can make the max amount of money from merchants--though if you're selling to Creeper, it doesn't matter, since creature merchants don't take those into account.

If you want to break alchemy and grind it at the same time (for levels, the INT boost, whatever), start with a "Fortify Intelligence 100 Points for 1 Second on Self" spell and the master set from Caldera. Go to the Balmora mage's guild and buy Ajira's restocking ingredients (mudcrab meat, etc). Cast the spell, mix 10 or so potions, sell them to Ajira, have Ajira train you a few ranks in alchemy to replenish her gold, open up her shop and buy the restocking ingredients again. Repeat until you've shamed Ajira at her own craft.

Oh, and don't forget, adding "Soul Trap 1 Second on Target" to the end of any buff/conjuration spell and casting it at your feet makes those buffs permanent.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Shibawanko posted:

You can easily grab a soul trapped golden saint with no penalty during an early mages guild quest when a character upstairs in balmora walks away from her desk, it has a ridiculous value so sell it to either creeper in caldera or the talking mud crab, which is a pain in the rear end to find.

Or you can use it to create an absorb health enchantment, which you then put on a weapon. Or any constant effect enchantment for armor.

There's also tons of good equipment just lying around in quite a few places. The Starting Out page on UESP has a list of some of it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Actually, I believe the soul gem you're talking about is a Winged Twilight,:spergin: which is less valuable, although still worth a fuckton.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Also if you're just starting out a good trick is to make one spell for each magic skill that's as weak as possible and cast it over and over when you're trekking around the countryside. And don't underestimate mysticism, its got all the teleport spells and absorb health is just flat out better than anything in the destruction school.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Does anyone know of a good Alchemy calculator? The ones on UESP are either total poo poo or don't work.

Also, I remember hearing that high Personality and Speechcraft trivialize the game, but I'm pretty new to the game, so I guess I can't really see what makes it so overpowered. Can anyone shed some light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Does anyone know of a good Alchemy calculator? The ones on UESP are either total poo poo or don't work.

Also, I remember hearing that high Personality and Speechcraft trivialize the game, but I'm pretty new to the game, so I guess I can't really see what makes it so overpowered. Can anyone shed some light?

A lot of quests allow the option to perform a Speechcraft check that makes the quest a lot easier to complete. A high Speechcraft/Personality obviously makes those checks a lot easier, and it also dramatically increases the success rate on Taunt (for when you have to kill someone in town without getting arrested) and Compliment/Bribe (if 100+ Personality isn't enough to get them to love you on the spot). Finally, a high Personality improves your Mercantile skill, so you get better rates when buying and selling items (not to mention the bonus you're already getting from their increased disposition).

Still not nearly as broken as Alchemy, though.