Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

y_3 posted:

Pretty good in the restaurants too since it lasts until you finish all the battles.

It actually doesn't last through all the battles. The effect wears off after 3 minutes but the thing to tell you it has worn off can't play until you finish the Restaurant Gauntlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Malamar seems like king poo poo of gently caress You Mountain but nobody ever seems to talk about him.

It's pretty great as an Anti-metagame pokemon, but against "A big dude" it gets put down fairly easily. It's pretty slow and can't do much about that, and its physical bulk is questionable before using Superpower. Its special defense is lower and can't be boosted.

Bug type attacks kind of ruin its day, so if they have a fast pokemon with U-turn, Bug Bite, Megahorn or especially Bug Buzz, Malamar becomes sad.

That can all be solved by playing smart, but the same can be said for Aegislash, who is made a total chump by Taunt, but otherwise is a murder train that wishes it has Pain Split and one more move-slot.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

It actually doesn't last through all the battles. The effect wears off after 3 minutes but the thing to tell you it has worn off can't play until you finish the Restaurant Gauntlet.

Returning the game asap

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is this a thing now?

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-60814721

Not mine, but I like this video.
The lengths people will go to, to get Cosmic Power on Shuckle...

SkuttyB
Nov 5, 2010

I fished up a shiny Luvdisc earlier, just to see if I could, took 40-something tries I think. Then I tried to get a Zoidberg as soon as I picked up the good rod, but the chain broke at 20-something, which was annoying

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

I don't think this is accurate. I get 16k and change from the last 3 battles in Le Wow (doubles, not sure if the amounts change) using lv 2. I don't think that's the default amount

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

myron cope posted:

I don't think this is accurate. I get 16k and change from the last 3 battles in Le Wow (doubles, not sure if the amounts change) using lv 2. I don't think that's the default amount

I get 24k and change from the last 3 battles (also doubles) with the Amulet Coin but I get 60k from the first 2 with Prize Money level 3.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

I get 24k and change from the last 3 battles (also doubles) with the Amulet Coin but I get 60k from the first 2 with Prize Money level 3.

Do they all give the same base money? I just assumed that the owner dude gave more. But you could be right. I'm also using the coin (but lv 2, like I said)

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

The owner of the restaurant pays out significantly more than the servers do, and I've done it with just the amulet coin plenty of times. I can assure you that the Prize Money O-Power works for all of the fights.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So what's the consensus? Does it last for the entire course?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Plasbad posted:

The owner of the restaurant pays out significantly more than the servers do, and I've done it with just the amulet coin plenty of times. I can assure you that the Prize Money O-Power works for all of the fights.

Cool. I had thought they all gave out the same base amount of money since I never went in there without Money Powers or my Amulet Coin. :whatup:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

If I have two Pokemon with the same nature, moves, and IVs, is there any chance of getting babies with a different IV spread? Specifically it's perfect HP, Attack, Special Attack, and Speed IVs, and I'd like one with HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed IVs maxed out instead. This is for an Adamant Breloom BTW.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If I have two Pokemon with the same nature, moves, and IVs, is there any chance of getting babies with a different IV spread? Specifically it's perfect HP, Attack, Special Attack, and Speed IVs, and I'd like one with HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed IVs maxed out instead. This is for an Adamant Breloom BTW.

Yes because at most the offspring can have only 5 of the parents IVs.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Why not just use Shell Smash? It gives similar boosts and you can still use a Focus Sash. Hell, if your opponent is bad enough you can even pass multiple Shell Smashes, even the most incompetent player won't let you do that with Geomancy.

Because Geomancy is NEW. :colbert:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Is it worth breeding both spikes and stealth rock onto a ferroseed or is just one fine?

If just one, does it really matter which?

I was leaning toward this:

Spikes
Gyro Ball
Leech Seed
Protect

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-60822501
Featured in this replay: 100% skill

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes because at most the offspring can have only 5 of the parents IVs.

So is it just pure luck? Hoping for the RNG to go the way I want?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, I did it. Thanks to a lot of help from the kind folks in #Pokegoons, I have now seen every Pokemon in the Kalos Dex and the Oval Charm is MINE! :dance:

Now I can breed up a storm! So excited. :D

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So is it just pure luck? Hoping for the RNG to go the way I want?

The 6th IV that isn't grabbed and sent to the baby is pretty much RNG yeah.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Yeah, I'm thinking Blaziken will go straight back on the Uber pile when they actually start tiering poo poo.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

jerichojx posted:

So what's the consensus? Does it last for the entire course?

Alright I just ran through the rotation course twice, once with just amulet coin and once with amulet and prize money 3:

Amulet only:
20,160 x2
8,064 x3
+ 23 mushrooms (skillz 2)

Amulet + Prize Money:
60,480 x2
24,192 x3
+ 25 mushrooms (pay da billz)

So there you go.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I really REALLY wanna love Banette as his Mega is one of my favorites in terms of design but everywhere I looked said that he's total garbage and his mega is even more of a joke. Is there anyway to make him not a (literal) ragdoll?

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?
So I'm new to doing any sort of EV training, but I know that there's some equation to it that makes it so that 4 EVs = 1 stat point at level 100 and it's some amount less at lower levels depending on the level. Does that recalculate on level up or did I just waste 45 minutes super training my lower level Pokemon and I'll have to redo it later to get optimized stats from EVs?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The three star restaurant is frontloaded on prize money. You do in fact get more for the first two battles against the owner than the next three against his staff.

If you want a better test of whether boosts last the entire meal sequence, try the Exp Power with a pokemon that isn't traded. If the Exp Power is active it will say "[x] gained a boosted [#] experience!" and it will say that throughout all of the fights. The restaurant absolutely is the best place to exploit O-Powers for exp/money because it artificially extends the length of them to the entire series of fights, no matter how long in real time it takes you.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

WrightOfWay posted:

Why not just use Shell Smash? It gives similar boosts and you can still use a Focus Sash. Hell, if your opponent is bad enough you can even pass multiple Shell Smashes, even the most incompetent player won't let you do that with Geomancy.

Probably because Shell Smashing into a Baton Pass leaves you open for a -1 defense move from the opponent. Geomancy, on the other hand, is like two Calm Minds from a Speed Boost Ninjask. Only with half the turn investment and more embarrassing losses to Smeargle.

Also a Stored Power afterwards has 140 base power, making it like a Psychic-type Boomburst. This makes Mega Gardevoir even scarier than usual.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I really REALLY wanna love Banette as his Mega is one of my favorites in terms of design but everywhere I looked said that he's total garbage and his mega is even more of a joke. Is there anyway to make him not a (literal) ragdoll?

Prankster is still a really good ability and he does get things to make use of it. He also has a massive attack stat and learns Sucker Punch. He's not awful as far as Pokemon go, he's just not up to the level of the other megas.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

khysanth posted:

Is it worth breeding both spikes and stealth rock onto a ferroseed or is just one fine?

If just one, does it really matter which?

I was leaning toward this:

Spikes
Gyro Ball
Leech Seed
Protect

Generally speaking, if you only have one hazard on a team it should be Stealth Rock. If you have a teammate with SR then go with Spikes on Ferrothorn since it has the bulk and typing to set up multiple layers. Having both SR and Spikes on Ferrothorn is good, especially since SR has pretty limited distribution right now and it's more important than ever with Talonflame running amok.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
What exactly can I do with all these tiny mushrooms? There were collectors last gen that'd pay big for the things, but do they still exist in this game? Do they serve any special purpose or should I just sell them at the Pokemon Center?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Geostomp posted:

What exactly can I do with all these tiny mushrooms? There were collectors last gen that'd pay big for the things, but do they still exist in this game? Do they serve any special purpose or should I just sell them at the Pokemon Center?

You can get them in the battle resturants and they exist to be sold.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Really all it has going for it is priority Destiny Bond and Substitute/Pain Split. It has Flareon syndrome where it would be so much better if its stats weren't in the wrong place. It can't really take advantage of its monster attack because it has probably the worst physical movepool in the game, with a grand total of like four viable physical attacks, and its defenses are just barely good enough to use Prankster.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think every mega evolution has a lot potential Banette included. You can run something like shadow force, shadow sneak/sucker punch, priority destiny bond, and taunt. Banette's movepool is kind of poor, but priority destiny bond with prankster might be good enough to earn him a spot on a team by itself.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I have a rather technical question: If a transformed ditto uses Hidden Power/Nature Power does it use the hidden power of the pokemon ditto is transformed into, or a hidden power specific to ditto?

When my ditto used hidden power on an exeggutor it was not very effective, then he used hidden power on me that same turn and it was super-effective. :tinfoil:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sorry for all the questions guys. I want a doubles Hippowdon as a tanker. I'm looking at a moveset that includes both Ice Fang and Slack Off. However, I look on bulbapedia and apparently he has like 7 start moves. How does the game prioritize the hatched moveset? Is there any way to manipulate it so that even if I don't get Ice Fang, at least Slack Off is retained?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I need to get some Pokemon up to the mid 60's for the Elite 4 finally, after being distracted by breeding and such, the battle house is full of lovely level 20ish people and Victory Road doesn't have enough people, any other good places to level up some dudes from 50ish?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Sanctum posted:

I have a rather technical question: If a transformed ditto uses Hidden Power/Nature Power does it use the hidden power of the pokemon ditto is transformed into, or a hidden power specific to ditto?

When my ditto used hidden power on an exeggutor it was not very effective, then he used hidden power on me that same turn and it was super-effective. :tinfoil:
Sounds like it used Ditto's Hidden Power type. (Nature Power turns into Tri-Attack in link battles, dunno why you brought it up.)

Fox of Stone posted:

Sorry for all the questions guys. I want a doubles Hippowdon as a tanker. I'm looking at a moveset that includes both Ice Fang and Slack Off. However, I look on bulbapedia and apparently he has like 7 start moves. How does the game prioritize the hatched moveset? Is there any way to manipulate it so that even if I don't get Ice Fang, at least Slack Off is retained?
The game remembers what moves the Pokémon hatched with, so you can just go relearn whatever egg moves got bumped off the list if that happens. Your concern is misguided, anyway, because it's not going to hatch as a Hippowdon - it's going to hatch as a Hippopotas, who has only two starting moves.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Does Ditto transform into mega pokemon and if so does it count as your one allowed mega?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Yes, no.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

horchata posted:

So there's a pokemon tournament at my old college tomorrow night and I need opinions on my team. There's gonna be an item clause so I can't have any repeat items and some other silly rules so I tried and constructed the best team I could.

Mamoswine@Focus Sash
Oblivious/Jolly
252 atk/252 speed
-icicle crash
-ice shard
-stealth rocks
-earthquake

Nidoking@Life Orb
Sheer Force/Timid
252 sp.atk/252 speed
-flamethrower
-earth power
-sludge wave
-ice beam

Rotom-w@Leftovers
Levitate/Modest
232 hp/56 sp.atk/220 speed
-hydro pump
-volt switch
-hidden power ice
-will-o-wisp

Talonflame@Sharp Beak
Gale Wings/Adamant
125 hp/252 atk/132 speed
-brave bird
-flare blitz
-roost
-sword dance

Azumarill@Choice Band
Huge Power/Adamant
168 hp/252 atk/84 speed
-superpower
-waterfall
-play Rough
-aqua jet

Scizor@Assault Vest
Technician/Adamant
248 hp/196 atk/64 sp.def
-bullet punch
-pursuit
-brick break
-u-turn

any comments/criticisms are welcome but otherwise I'm pretty confident in my team.

wouldn't mind more opinions before I lose in the first round

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I need to get some Pokemon up to the mid 60's for the Elite 4 finally, after being distracted by breeding and such, the battle house is full of lovely level 20ish people and Victory Road doesn't have enough people, any other good places to level up some dudes from 50ish?

An hour or so in that two star restaurant will get you to 65 in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
just picked up a japanese 6 IV ditto for the low, low price of my Xerneas. poo poo's awesome, and I'm slowly making my Torchic's maxed. :getin:

• Locked thread