Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

foodfight posted:

Computer Chess went up today. I've heard good things.

As a :corsair: I can tell you that they got the flavor of those little early 80's computer get-togethers at small town hotels right on the nose. The character Papageorge is the archetype talented creep that you can probably still find at small town comic cons today. He should have wound up with the swinger couple instead. It got too Kafkaesque for me towards the end though, to the point it ruined the quirky feel for me. Credits and titles all done on a C64, it looks like.

tl;dr: if you don't like B/W flashbacks to the early 80's don't watch this

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
So, I finally watched John Dies At The End. It's...it's not very good, guys! What the hell?

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Also they (re?-)added That '70s Show, which is pretty sweet.

That 70's Show is one of those shows that got so bad by the end that it kinda ruined it for me. I mean, I know that every big name sitcom (Seinfeld, Frasier, etc) started to fall in quality a little bit in their final years, but the episodes of That 70's Show after Topher Grace leaves are kind of embarrassing.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
Spring Breakers is up on Netflix Canada.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Binary Badger posted:

As a :corsair: I can tell you that they got the flavor of those little early 80's computer get-togethers at small town hotels right on the nose. The character Papageorge is the archetype talented creep that you can probably still find at small town comic cons today. He should have wound up with the swinger couple instead. It got too Kafkaesque for me towards the end though, to the point it ruined the quirky feel for me. Credits and titles all done on a C64, it looks like.

tl;dr: if you don't like B/W flashbacks to the early 80's don't watch this

I love how it perfectly captures the profoundly boring, terminally uncharismatic early days of computing without really trying to be funny at all.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra is up on US Netflix. Amazing B-movie pastiche.

"Bring the meteor to the skeleton."
"Bring the meteor to Kro-Bar and Lattis."
"I must make a skeleton meatier using a crowbar covered in lettuce."

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)

A MIRACLE posted:

Comedy suggestions please. I feel like I've seen everything.

Don't Trust The Bitch in Apartment 23, it's really a great show.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

MeaningOfLife posted:

Don't Trust The Bitch in Apartment 23, it's really a great show.

Seconding this. It was created by one of writers from American Dad and it really shows

(in a good way, its a sitcom like Malcolm In The Middle thats not afraid to let the characters be unlikable or unrealistic when its funnier)

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 7, 2013

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

The comedy is awesome. Not exactly what u are looking for but I watched it twice in a row and was in tears ;) goons would like it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I Before E posted:

The Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra is up on US Netflix. Amazing B-movie pastiche.

"I must make a skeleton meatier using a crowbar covered in lettuce."

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra tends to try a little too hard in places, but there's a lot here that will ring true if you're an old MST3K fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BlqogvkOpI

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this is happening

http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_develop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event

quote:

Disney's Marvel and Netflix Join Forces to Develop Historic Four Series Epic plus a Mini-Series Event
Landmark deal brings Marvel's flawed heroes of Hell's Kitchen, led by 'Daredevil,' to Netflix in 2015
Posted Nov 7, 2013 9:15 am
Updated Nov 7, 2013 9:10 am
Disney's Marvel and Netflix Join Forces to Develop Historic Four Series Epic plus a Mini-Series Event Based on Renowned Marvel Characters
Landmark Deal Brings Marvel’s Flawed Heroes of Hell’s Kitchen, led by "Daredevil," to the World’s Leading Internet TV Network in 2015

Burbank, Calif. - Nov 7, 2013—The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel's most popular characters exclusively to the world's leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a mini-series programming event.
Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel's "The Defenders" mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.
Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.
"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty," said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

"Marvel’s movies, such as 'Iron Man' and 'Marvel’s The Avengers,' are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels," said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. "With 'House of Cards' and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we're thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude."
This new original TV deal follows last year's landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/...t#ixzz2jya5GObm

Let's hope for House of Cards quality and not Hemlock Grove quality.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Stupid-rear end superheroes!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Thank you for the recommendation of Olympus has Fallen. Cracked up during the entire thing, there are some great one-liners as well. Made my sick day a bit better.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

A MIRACLE posted:

Peep Show

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Just about to finish season 5 of Trailer Park Boys and I'm still really enjoying it.

I'm interested in some anthology series since watching the Twilight Zone. I going to give Alfred Hitchcock Presents a try but I'd love any other recommendations. I'm also thinking of watching Kolchak as a prelude to watching The X-Files. Am I in for a good time?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I never watched Alfred Hitchcock Presents but the answer to your other question is definitely yes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Alfred Hitchcock Presents rules.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Miami Vice (the TV show, not the 2006 movie) is on Netflix in full and fuuuck it's good

Like, I have no clue why it's been dismissed as 80s kitsch for the past 20 years, it's basically Manhunter or Thief as a TV show.

It had a lot kitsch in what I would say a majority of the episodes. Most of the kitsch, admittedly, is due to the 80's style of television/film making which it never completely separated itself from.

Around season 2-3 and onwards the touch of the 'hot thing' infected the show for far too many episodes. You'd have 'rumored up and coming director #1' crap episode where there were too many god drat close-ups, and then 'fancy director #2' episode where crane shots were abused.

And most of the acting was over the top. Luckily, that was from the extras/guest stars. Most characters were caricatures and just off the god drat wall. gently caress Phil Collins as a guest star and gently caress his character and gently caress that retarded god drat 'Rat Race' game show bit.

Then there was the criminal overuse of stock footage. There were whole episodes where it might as well have been a drat clip show with the over use of the Daytona driving fast at night on a 4 lane road, and grounding for a second making sparks.

Switek and Zito were awesome and criminally underused- but you really only notice that in retrospect. Rodriguez was a sham as a lieutenant, and Olmos as Castillo upped the loving game in that series by like a million (even though his desk was always empty)... until they had his goofy top secret revengeman episode.

It sucks that Gina and Trudy were also underused, and given more to do than be raped or used as hookers. Although, an episode about rape was a big deal back then. As a sexist pig, 80's fashions were also very unfortunate for Saundra Santiago, as she's still got a rockin' body to this day. Shoulderpads and boxy, shiny polyester dresses don't do much to flatter figures.

Finally, yea, Miami Vice upped the game considerably, but it had a lot of crap too. Looking back, its hard not to see the kitsch. For me at least. It really was one of the defining cultural markers of that decade.

I can't wait until its on streaming, but Crime Story was by Mann as well, and that was leagues better than Miami Vice, IMO. It only lasted two seasons, but only watch the first season.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 7, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Comedy suggestions? How about Natural Selection?

But seriously, has anyone seen Natural Selection, it was awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I really want them to get That Mitchell And Webb Look back. It's one of the best sketch comedies I've ever seen. I don't even usually like sketch comedy that much.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Whoever recommended Don't Trust the B- In Apt 23, thank you. Just finished the episode where Chloe goes on a bender and dates a retarded Thomas Lennon, and I haven't laughed this hard since Community season 1.

Also I tried to watch Peep Show, but it made me nauseas.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Flython posted:

I'm also thinking of watching Kolchak as a prelude to watching The X-Files. Am I in for a good time?

The first two episodes are keepers, the third suffers from having no budget and seems more like a Lost In Space episode.

The ones you should give priority to other than the first two are The Vampire (good sequel to the first episode,) The Spanish Moss Murders, Horror in the Heights, Demon in Lace, and The Energy Eater just for the viewpoint on 70's dating. These episodes have the best mix of humor / horror / social commentary IMHO.

All through the series, there is a solid group of background characters that gives you a sense of family, with Vincenzo taking the role of the boisterous boss/father figure to all at the scrappy little news agency. The producers shamelessly flaunt their love affair with Chicago as a city almost as well as First Edition did.

A shame it didn't get better writers/ratings.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

You're missing out. If it's from the POV shots just look away or get some dramamine 'cause the show's worth it. There's less of that later on in the series anyway.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Why can't DC Comics do smart stuff like this? :(

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

A MIRACLE posted:

If you like cringe humor, Peep Show is a Michelin star five course banquet.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

A MIRACLE posted:

Just finished the episode where Chloe goes on a bender and dates a retarded Thomas Lennon, and I haven't laughed this hard since Community season 1.

Yeah, I already love Krysten Ritter but that episode cemented my love for her and the show too. I was dying at her slow-mo stumbling into the club all doped up. It's nice to see someone who looks like a cliché of a fashion model with physical comedy chops like that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Why can't DC Comics do smart stuff like this? :(

Arrow is doing amazing things.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If you like cringe humor, Peep Show is a Michelin star five course banquet.

This is from season 8, so I guess it is kind of a spoiler, but if you enjoy this clip then the show is for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbLMqGo9MQ

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Chichevache posted:

This is from season 8, so I guess it is kind of a spoiler, but if you enjoy this clip then the show is for you.

I think this is both the funniest bit the show ever did and kind of out of character. It rarely goes that far.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

crispyseaweed posted:

Spring Breakers is up on Netflix Canada.

This is my favourite movie I saw all year easily (it only came out in the cinema where I live in 2013)
It's an incredible piece of cinema. Soundtrack, cinematography and editing are all masterful.
A real experience.
If you like the films of Gaspar Noe, you'll like this.

Also Peep Show is amazing, it and CYE are the best comedies going. The paintballing episode from the latest season was so so funny.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Chichevache posted:

That's great, it kind of reminds me of Klown which is an absolutely hilarious flick from Denmark. It had a pretty polarizing view from people in this thread for some reason though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mod sassinator posted:

That's great, it kind of reminds me of Klown which is an absolutely hilarious flick from Denmark. It had a pretty polarizing view from people in this thread for some reason though.

Klown is decent, but I got a very different feel from it than Peepshow. Klown feels a lot darker and almost malicious, while Peepshow felt a bit more lighthearted and caring.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

What do you guys think of Lillyhammer? I searched for a thread in TVIV but didn't find anything

I haven't watched it yet and I think I'm going to give it a shot tonight

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

What do you guys think of Lillyhammer? I searched for a thread in TVIV but didn't find anything

I haven't watched it yet and I think I'm going to give it a shot tonight

Underwhelming.

It's not terrible or anything, but it's not notably good either. Even though are only a few episodes you probably won't finish it. Its just one of those shows where you watch an episode, say "that was okay," and plan on watching some more later. But you'll always end up in a mood for something else until one day long after you'll be reminded of it and go "oh yeah, I should probably finish that." Maybe you watch another episode, although you probably won't, but either way you say "that was okay" and plan on watching some more later...

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Underwhelming.

It's not terrible or anything, but it's not notably good either. Even though are only a few episodes you probably won't finish it. Its just one of those shows where you watch an episode, say "that was okay," and plan on watching some more later. But you'll always end up in a mood for something else until one day long after you'll be reminded of it and go "oh yeah, I should probably finish that." Maybe you watch another episode, although you probably won't, but either way you say "that was okay" and plan on watching some more later...

The viewing data for HEMLOCK GROVE indubitably backs this model, with maybe the first three high, tick on the fourth, nada, then a slight rise on the last episode of the season.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

soapgish posted:

The viewing data for HEMLOCK GROVE indubitably backs this model, with maybe the first three high, tick on the fourth, nada, then a slight rise on the last episode of the season.

Hemlock Grove has some of the most amazingly bad dialogue and acting, but not quite bad enough to keep me watching.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mysterious frankie posted:

Hemlock Grove has some of the most amazingly bad dialogue and acting, but not quite bad enough to keep me watching.

STUPID rear end BIRDS!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Rhyno posted:

STUPID rear end BIRDS!

"People see Peter as just a flying piece of paper they can put everything they’re afraid of on."

wut

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"She is who she says she is like a Mexican hates fireworks."

How do you write that, look at it on the page and not realize it's word salad?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

"She is who she says she is like a Mexican hates fireworks."

How do you write that, look at it on the page and not realize it's word salad?

"Word salad" is a much better use of language than simply stating fact, and though strange metaphors may be lost on many, creative comprehension is about the most lacking skill the learned have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

soapgish posted:

"Word salad" is a much better use of language than simply stating fact, and though strange metaphors may be lost on many, creative comprehension is about the most lacking skill the learned have.

Get a load of this word salad.

• Locked thread