Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does anyone have a Ricoh GR? I'm thinking about one as an everyday camera and for long backpacking trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Oh poo poo I just won an auction for a Fuji XE-1 with a 35mm 1.4. I've crossed over. There are no mirrors here. :ohdear:

Where we're going, we don't need mirrors...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I was actually arguing with someone on Facebook earlier who was being really stubborn that mirrorless cameras are just "gimmicks". Tribalism for sure...

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

The next 5-10 years of digital cameras are going to loving rule :hellyeah:

Leica might add electronic coupling to their M lenses so you can record the real aperture instead of guessing in software :frogsiren:

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Is that a picture of the 5d OG, pre-mirror fix?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Saint Fu posted:

Does anyone have a Ricoh GR? I'm thinking about one as an everyday camera and for long backpacking trips.

Several of us do. Landscape photos, and everyday snapshots are what it excels at, so you should be very happy with it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

change my name posted:

I was actually arguing with someone on Facebook earlier who was being really stubborn that mirrorless cameras are just "gimmicks". Tribalism for sure...

That's so weird to me. I see it on other camera forums and poo poo where people flat out deny mirrorless has anything worthwhile to offer and that its just a trend. Seems clear to me that eventually all cameras are going to ditch the mechanical parts and go full electronic at some point or another and really the only thing holding it up is Canon and Nikon not wanting to invest in moving that direction. These are also the people that are literally angry about having video capability on their DSLR for some reason so they're probably just idiots.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

These are also the people that are literally angry about having video capability on their DSLR for some reason so they're probably just idiots.

Yep, they're probably also the same people who frothed at the mouth over digital slrs vs film, autofocus vs manual, color film, the invention of the automobile, electricity and the discovery off fire. Some people just can't adapt to change very well.

That said, I quite like the implementation of video on my XPro1, it's there if I need it but it doesn't intrude on what is primarily a stills camera.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

It's the best camera I've ever owned. The only reason I've ordered an E-M1 to complement it is because I want a little more flexibility than the fixed focal length of the GR affords me. And weather sealing. But really, I can't praise the GR highly enough; it's also got the only non-frustrating camera interface I've ever used. I think it's peerless in its class (though the Nikon Coolpix A supposedly has a better JPEG engine; I wouldn't know).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I had a coolpix p100, are they still giant clunky pieces of poo poo?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

change my name posted:

Same IQ in a much lighter/more compact package? Well, I guess that's a gimmick...

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
It is known that you can't take good pictures unless you are carrying a 30lbs DSLR kit.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hey man, look, sometimes newer =/= better alright?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Turns out the whole "more lenses for m43" thing is more a curse than a blessing. Where the hell should I start for my E-M5? I like street photography and general happy snaps.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Digital Jesus posted:

Turns out the whole "more lenses for m43" thing is more a curse than a blessing. Where the hell should I start for my E-M5? I like street photography and general happy snaps.

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is probably your best option. I dumped mine when I got the 25mm f1.4 but it's not as useful for street photography.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Our favourite Nikon expert comparing the Df to the FE.

Rockwell posted:

No M90 position on shutter dial

The FE has a batteryless manual shutter position. It could fire at 1/90 or bulb without batteries.

I won't fault Nikon here; even if the shutter of the Df would fire without batteries, it wouldn't do us much good if the camera couldn't record what came off its sensor.

E: It's all good.
http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/df.htm

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 7, 2013

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

change my name posted:

A rather competent photographer friend of mine just posted on Facebook a story about Nikon and mirrorless and added his own commentary along the lines of "this new technology seems interesting - I'd watch for cool things in the next few years - might be able to replace a DSLR with one of these eventually".

:psyduck:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I met a local photog who has a co-op studio nearby. He asked if I shoot Canon or Nikon. I explained that I ditched DSLRs for a Fujifilm X-Pro system. He said he's staying with Nikon because "image quality is important to professionals. "

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

poopinmymouth posted:

Apparently the DOF equivalents puts the RX100 shallower on the wide end, but then the GM1 shallower at the long end (handy for portraits). The big thing I am seeing is that the sensor looks amazing, and when not needing a tiny walk around lens, one could get a travel zoom or something super long to pop on when on vacations, something not possible on the RX100.

Plus 20mm 1.7 would own.

drat, all interest lost. Max 1/50 Sync speed with flash. How the hell? Isn't it electronic shutter?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

drat, all interest lost. Max 1/50 Sync speed with flash. How the hell? Isn't it electronic shutter?

It has both a mechanical and an electronic shutter (with much higher speeds) from what I've read.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

also I was just totally forgetting it has no hotshoe, how would one sync with an external flash? Optical slave is lame cause I don't want that flash polluting the lighting of the scene. I bet there is some kind of solution by now with all the off camera flash hobbyists.

I am thinking of finally selling my 5D and lenses to finance a purchase. I only ever use my x100, save when doing portraits (most often with off camera flash) or when on vacation when I want some more lens flexibility.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

poopinmymouth posted:

also I was just totally forgetting it has no hotshoe, how would one sync with an external flash? Optical slave is lame cause I don't want that flash polluting the lighting of the scene. I bet there is some kind of solution by now with all the off camera flash hobbyists.
The amount of light hitting your scene falls off pretty dramatically based on the distance. It's an inverse square - double the distance and get 1/4th the light, triple it and get 1/9th the light. Between that and the low power of that flash, it would have a trivial (but admittedly non-zero) effect on the light in your scene. If you're really worried about it, I've heard IR filters can work?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I am not new to off camera flash work, but a raw bulb trying to expose for the necessarily darker scene settings of shooting with external flash (ie, way too dark for the room according to the camera's metering) it is going to try to pump the on board flash as high as it can. A diffuser or IR gel is most likely the way to go.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poopinmymouth posted:

I am thinking of finally selling my 5D and lenses to finance a purchase. I only ever use my x100, save when doing portraits (most often with off camera flash) or when on vacation when I want some more lens flexibility.

Get a Ricoh GR or X100.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Get a Ricoh GR or X100.

I own an x100, and I love 35mm and the x100, but there are times when I want A) some compression, or B) a travel zoom for vacations. I have a 5D and 35/50/85 but it's huge, and while the files are still pretty good, I much prefer the colors from the X100.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

poopinmymouth posted:

I am not new to off camera flash work, but a raw bulb trying to expose for the necessarily darker scene settings of shooting with external flash (ie, way too dark for the room according to the camera's metering) it is going to try to pump the on board flash as high as it can. A diffuser or IR gel is most likely the way to go.

Depending on the camera you can shoot in M and dial your flash power/compensation way way down. The on board flash won't show up much except for specular highlights. Still, it's less than ideal.

A camera with a hotshoe or a sync port seems like a necessity to me if off camera flash is a desired use case.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Dren posted:

Depending on the camera you can shoot in M and dial your flash power/compensation way way down. The on board flash won't show up much except for specular highlights. Still, it's less than ideal.

A camera with a hotshoe or a sync port seems like a necessity to me if off camera flash is a desired use case.

Yeah, agreed, but I have gotten so used to having the light weight and small package of the X100, anything bigger seems like a chore I know I'll rarely leave the house with. I will probably just wait longer to upgrade, as my current stuff is fine. I just have a trip coming up to Tasmania, and while I know the X100 will be great for landscapes, I would love to photograph some of the wildlife as well.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Digital Jesus posted:

Do you like primes? There's a very good set of Pana 20/1.7, 14/2.5 and Oly 45/1.8 that's fairly cheap. They're all very good quality for the price, and you should find stuff used, too. You can switch the 20/1.7 to the Pana-Leica 25/1.4 if you want to spend some more. (Also the set I'm aiming for, currently have the wide and the tele.)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Helicity posted:

A rather competent photographer friend of mine just posted on Facebook a story about Nikon and mirrorless and added his own commentary along the lines of "this new technology seems interesting - I'd watch for cool things in the next few years - might be able to replace a DSLR with one of these eventually".

:psyduck:
What does he usually shoot and what with? If he's a sport or wildlife photographer, "eventually" is not an unfair statement; autofocus has and still does limit the ability for mirrorless cameras to live with the standard set by DSLRs. Especially if you shoot using a 1DX or D4 and bulk is a low rating factor.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pablo Bluth posted:

What does he usually shoot and what with? If he's a sport or wildlife photographer, "eventually" is not an unfair statement; autofocus has and still does limit the ability for mirrorless cameras to live with the standard set by DSLRs. Especially if you shoot using a 1DX or D4 and bulk is a low rating factor.

I have both a DSLR and a mirrorless body, and they're both good, but both get used for different things. It's not exactly a choose-only-one thing.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SoundMonkey posted:

I have both a DSLR and a mirrorless body, and they're both good, but both get used for different things. It's not exactly a choose-only-one thing.
Well there are financial and philosophical reasons why somebody might prefer to be a one system photographer, rather than living with multiple systems. I'm not writing off CSCs, I was just pointing out that for some people, they're still don't quite make the most sense out of all the options.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Well there are financial and philosophical reasons why somebody might prefer to be a one system photographer, rather than living with multiple systems. I'm not writing off CSCs, I was just pointing out that for some people, they're still don't quite make the most sense out of all the options.

Oh yeah totally. The mirrorless lives in my backpack most of the times I leave the house and as a backup on shoots, the DSLR pretty much only gets hauled out for paid stuff or some edge case where I absolutely need AF on one of my Nikon lenses.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

You can kind of have either fast auto-focus or lighter and compact lenses with Sony's NEX system since they have adapters for their A-mount lenses that adds the (semi-translucent) mirror box from their A-mount cameras. So you can use smaller and lighter E-mount lenses when you want something easy to carry around or bigger A-mount lenses when you absolutely need that fast and accurate auto-focus while using the same body.

Unfortunately, the NEXs don't use IBIS so hand shooting with A-mount lenses in low light isn't viable at long focal lengths. There is also some light loss from the semi-translucent mirror. In addition, you're stuck buying two lens systems and having to weigh which focal lengths want for either system.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hey what camera bag do you guys use for your x100s/xe-1/xpro1 or similar sized cameras. I want something that doesn't look like an rear end like those lowepro bags and preferably doesn't scream that it is a camera bag.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

keyframe posted:

Hey what camera bag do you guys use for your x100s/xe-1/xpro1 or similar sized cameras. I want something that doesn't look like an rear end like those lowepro bags and preferably doesn't scream that it is a camera bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-LC-X100-Leather-Finepix-Digital/dp/B004NROYUI :smug:

Fake edit: poo poo, I didn't know the new version had a flap for battery/memory card which is soooo much more convenient

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/camera_cases/

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Cacator posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-LC-X100-Leather-Finepix-Digital/dp/B004NROYUI :smug:

Fake edit: poo poo, I didn't know the new version had a flap for battery/memory card which is soooo much more convenient

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/camera_cases/

It is like I asked for snowboard pant advice and you linked a g-string. :colbert:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

keyframe posted:

I use this Think Tank bag. It's a little big (it's a holdover from my DSLR days), but it's a nice size for general purpose use outside of just photography.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I have a Crumpler Haven S that I then put inside of other bags (backpacks, manbags, etc). Very versatile and discreet, while also being easy to pack for trips. The Haven S is a little tall for my equipment (GX7 + 25mm with a bunch of room to spare) and it's a bit pricey, but there's a bunch of similar containers out there.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 8, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

keyframe posted:

I use a blackrapid strap. Or the same kata-3n1 bag that I used for my p67.

:geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Do you like primes? There's a very good set of Pana 20/1.7, 14/2.5 and Oly 45/1.8 that's fairly cheap. They're all very good quality for the price, and you should find stuff used, too. You can switch the 20/1.7 to the Pana-Leica 25/1.4 if you want to spend some more. (Also the set I'm aiming for, currently have the wide and the tele.)

Thanks man, I do love primes... you've drawn my eye to the PanaLeica 25/1.4. Looks really nice!

Edit: and with that, I have bought the E-M5!

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 8, 2013