Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Crap I forgot that was last night! Anyone know if they're going to have it up for folks to watch online? Having no luck finding anything searching, at least in English maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Yeah, I'm disappointed that I clicked it and it said it was all over. At least, I think it did.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
Anyone here doing NaKniSweMo this year? I started a day late and did knit enough to make up the difference (& then some).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sorta! I started a week ago on what was supposed to be a gauge swatch, but it worked so I just kept going. I'm not doing it officially on any forums or anything. I probably won't get a chance to work on it over the last week of November, so I don't care too much about the deadline either. I just want to make my first real sweater this fall. We'll see!

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I'm too busy not doing the writing I am supposed to do for NaNoWriMo to come up with a whole other set of excuses to procrastinate not doing the knitting for NaKniSweMo.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

ackapoo posted:

Anyone here doing NaKniSweMo this year? I started a day late and did knit enough to make up the difference (& then some).

I wish it wasn't so close to the holidays. I already have like six things that I'm trying to knit for Hanukkah and Christmas.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Hi thread. I recently decided to learn to knit, and that I should start with a scarf. Which had to have diagonal stripes. My friends figured out a pattern for me, picked out the right yarn and needles, and supervised me heavily through the early stages, including reworking parts that I hosed up. It's been like five months, I have a little over half a scarf (I didn't realize they're supposed to be so long), and my needles are so bent that they won't roll at all on a flat surface. Though that part can be sort of handy.

Recently I've learned to loosen up a bit, so it's been going much faster and better. Click for gigantic:

It's longer now, but of course it looks pretty much the same. I'm not too put out over the obvious issues since I knew going in it wasn't going to be perfect and allegedly blocking is magic.* It's gotten cold enough now that I really just want to have the scarf.

The yarn is chunky superwash merino from Sweet Georgia in 'slate' and 'silver'. I know nothing about fibres, but knitting people fawn over this stuff without my saying what it is. Also my friend works there, so I'm plugging it.

*I was put out over adding five stitches and not noticing for seventeen rows, but I ripped back and fixed that. :black101:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Male knitgoon checking in. Long-time reader, first time poster.

So I've decided it's time to try knitting socks. I went and got some sock yarn and some teeny tiny double-pointed needles and a book of knitting socks, and cast on last night. How hard can it be? I made myself a pair of fingerless mittens and the only difference here is that everything is so insanely tiny, and also I will need to learn short rows.

I'm expecting the leg of the sock will take forever because holy gently caress is this yarn fine and also sweet Jesus these needles are delicate and I'm afraid I'm going to ruin them. Fortunately it's a fairly small project so it easily fits in my man-purse, but now I'm worried that something in said man-purse will snap my little size 1 needles.

This will sound weird but is there some device I can put this project in so my needles won't break in transit?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I have a couple of these and they're awesome. They just secure around your DPNs and keep them nice and safe. They're expensive but very nice, and there's other people who make cheaper ones out of plastic or cardboard. I believe KnitPicks sells one.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I just bought a 40" metal circular needle to do magic loop socks. Haven't started on them yet, though. :shrug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think for anything below a 2, you want to go with metal. Maybe something newfangled like the carbon-fiber ones, but definitely not just plain bamboo, because they're going to snap like the toothpicks they are. Susan Bates has a small needles set, I think it's four different sets of DPNs from 00 to 2, and it's got to be under $10. Worth it. Although be aware that the hazard will change from breaking to stabbing.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Re: needleholders, I've used the cardboard ones a lot and they've held up great for me, going on 4 years with 'em. May not look as nice, but will do the trick on a budget!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I've gotten by just fine with size 1 bamboo DPNs, but I have smaller hands and I'm usually pretty careful with my stitches. I am still always afraid for the first few minutes I work on a project that one of them might suddenly snap, though.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

On the other end you can get these for much cheaper than Knitzi's. I found some at a LYS and bought a pack of three--they're just cardboard. Pretty great.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I usually just wrap the needles thoroughly with the working yarn to keep them together, and once the knitting is long enough wrap that around too. If you're not jangling everything around too much it should work.

If you're not actually working on projects, old ram cases work really well for storing DPNs. They usually hard plastic, so you don't have to worry about your needles getting broken at all, and you can store a bunch of them in one case.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Probably not super helpful but I just assume a certain level of attrition and buy several sets :shrug: but then I really love wood/bamboo

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

MarsDragon posted:

I usually just wrap the needles thoroughly with the working yarn to keep them together, and once the knitting is long enough wrap that around too. If you're not jangling everything around too much it should work.

If you're not actually working on projects, old ram cases work really well for storing DPNs. They usually hard plastic, so you don't have to worry about your needles getting broken at all, and you can store a bunch of them in one case.

I have to ask a stupid question: What is a ram case? (or am I reading that wrong and it is cases sticks of RAM come in?). Also, is there a place you can buy ram cases?

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

I've been trying to get into sock making for a while (I think I've been working on the leg on and off for like a month because I'm terrified of having to do the heel).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to have both socks match and be the same size (and also appease my OCD demons). Do most people achieve uniformity by keeping track of the number of rows/rounds that they knit, or do they go by measurement?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Patterns often just give measurements, figuring everyone's row gauge will be a little different. If I'm doing things that match (mittens, socks, sweater fronts), I definitely keep track of the number of rows. You could also do them two at a time.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Does anyone know of a good simple pattern for gloves with fingers? There's all of 3 on knitty and they all have a bunch of colorwork. Failing that I'll just make something up, do finger gloves take about the same amt of yarn as a pair of socks probably?

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Follow up question about socks: I'm currently working through the "Silver's Socks" basic pattern (basic sock using 4 DPNs). When I get to the part where the leg is finished and the heel is to begin, it starts talking about knitting a certain pattern on the "right side" and a certain pattern on the "wrong side". I get "right side" versus "wrong side" for flat knitting, but how does that work for knitting in the round? Is there an assumption that you will turn the sock inside out at the end, or are you knitting is as it is to be worn? If I've got the sock still on the DPNs about the start the heel and looking at what I've got on the needles, is the "right side" the "inside" or the "outside"?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Anything in the round can be knitted inside-out or outside-out. You can knit the same piece both ways, however you feel like it that day -- just stuff it through the hole. So part of your question depends on how you've been knitting it so far. But they might be talking about the heel flap, which could be knit flat. Can you copy and paste the part you mean?

Fuzzy_logic, go on ravelry.com and search for free glove patterns (which will also list yardage). The Ravelry database is the most amazing resource.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

wodan22 posted:

Follow up question about socks: I'm currently working through the "Silver's Socks" basic pattern (basic sock using 4 DPNs). When I get to the part where the leg is finished and the heel is to begin, it starts talking about knitting a certain pattern on the "right side" and a certain pattern on the "wrong side". I get "right side" versus "wrong side" for flat knitting, but how does that work for knitting in the round? Is there an assumption that you will turn the sock inside out at the end, or are you knitting is as it is to be worn? If I've got the sock still on the DPNs about the start the heel and looking at what I've got on the needles, is the "right side" the "inside" or the "outside"?

You're knitting it as it's going to look when it's worn. When you start the heel part you're going to be leaving some stiches out of it. The right side is indeed the outside in this situations, and the wrong side is the inside. I believe they use the terms right and wrong side because this part is a lot more like knitting flat until you get to the later part after where you complete heel flap, heel, and gusset parts.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

fuzzy_logic posted:

Does anyone know of a good simple pattern for gloves with fingers? There's all of 3 on knitty and they all have a bunch of colorwork. Failing that I'll just make something up, do finger gloves take about the same amt of yarn as a pair of socks probably?

You should be able to find something here.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

This is the pattern I'm making Christmas presents from. It's quite simple, although I personally found that the gloves were too small when I used the suggested size of needle, so I went up to 3mm and 3.5mm instead. But you may disagree.

There is also the same pattern, adapted for women. Or small-handed men, of course.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Cheapest cat toy ever - small plastic m&m pottle with some stitch markers in it. Also, I love those little m&m pottles, they're great for keeping stitch markers and blocking pins in.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Anything in the round can be knitted inside-out or outside-out. You can knit the same piece both ways, however you feel like it that day -- just stuff it through the hole. So part of your question depends on how you've been knitting it so far. But they might be talking about the heel flap, which could be knit flat. Can you copy and paste the part you mean?

Fuzzy_logic, go on ravelry.com and search for free glove patterns (which will also list yardage). The Ravelry database is the most amazing resource.

Much Thanks Dead Cow and Anne Whately. I think I figured out at least that part due to your explanations. Still dreading that heel turn and gusset bit, but hopefully I'll figure it out.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

wodan22 posted:

Much Thanks Dead Cow and Anne Whately. I think I figured out at least that part due to your explanations. Still dreading that heel turn and gusset bit, but hopefully I'll figure it out.

Don't be scared of short rows, it's just turning the work without finishing what you were doing and coming back to it later. Once you have them down you can do really cool stuff in three dimensions too. For picking up stitches for gussets I recommend dropping all the needles you're not using and using one hand to manually twist the fabric to get the needle through to pick up stitches, if that makes any sense.

edit:

Jollity Farm posted:

This is the pattern I'm making Christmas presents from. It's quite simple, although I personally found that the gloves were too small when I used the suggested size of needle, so I went up to 3mm and 3.5mm instead. But you may disagree.

There is also the same pattern, adapted for women. Or small-handed men, of course.

Awesome, thank you. I'm going to try to tailor this one, I think. My boyfriend has Marfan's and told me rather glumly the other day that he's never owned a pair of gloves that fit his hands, so his christmas gift should be pretty easy if I can get my head around the gauge changes and stuff.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 10, 2013

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

wodan22 posted:

The heel turn is the best part, it is literally my favorite part of making socks.
Picking up stitches for the gusset is easier if you have a small crochet hook, and don't stress out if you don't get them evenly spaced because you won't notice if they are a bit off.

So there's some future advice!

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah sorry, you can do a hat using magic loop on a very long circular. If you're using one hat-sized circ, that's when you have to switch to DPNs anyway.

I think loop knitting almost always ends up faster than dicking round with dpns. For a hat project I usually start with a 16" and when reduced down to ~70 stitches slip everything onto a 29 inch needle. The minute lost in slipping is regained within 2-3 rows.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Well, I think I've set some kind of record for weirdest knitting project. I have a friend who does WW2 re-enactment. He's ethnically Finnish, and the Finns were allies of Germany, so they contributed a battalion of SS to the war effort. (side note: the Finnish battalion was the only battalion in the SS to never be accused of any war crimes, so at least they were the "nicest" SS I guess?) He has collected many original and reproduction SS uniforms and Finnish battalion insignia. For the record, he's a vocal anti-racist and has personally physically ejected several white supremacists who are into SS stuff for the wrong reasons from events because, as he puts it, they ruin everything for the people who are there to preserve history, and they also tend to not know anything and have lovely reproduction or handmade costumes, not actual uniforms. I also like to point out to people that WW2 re-enactment battles wouldn't be very fun if nobody did the Axis side.

Anyway, Finland wasn't the most industrialized country at that time, so while their standard issue socks would have been machine made, the soldiers soon would have needed socks sent from home, hand knitted by family members. I decided to knit him a pair of reproduction home front socks in a manner consistent with what a Finnish soldier would have received in a care package from home. That's right, I'm knitting him Nazi socks.

So first I needed to find a pattern, and I managed to hunt down some sperg who made a comprehensive post about Wehrmacht socks and how to tell if your socks are original or reproduction, and about the style and color variations throughout the war. He posted what looked like a magazine article telling you how to knit socks for your sweetie in the Wehrmacht, so I emailed him and managed to get a high-res scan of the original knitting instructions. In German. I don't speak German and I've knitted one pair of socks ever (and poorly, at that). So then I had to find someone on Ravelry to translate it for me, which was a touchy business because I understand that Germans can perhaps be sensitive about the whole Nazi thing, but she ended up being super chill about it and sharing some family stories about the war from the German side. So now I have a pattern, and all I have to do is hunt down 150g of brownish-grey 100% wool fingering weight yarn. Oh, and there's special breeds of sheep in Finland and so I'm looking for yarn made of that wool because then it's ~extra authentic~ or something.

What a weird project. The re-enactors think I'm a nerd for giving a gently caress about how the socks were made, and the knitters think I'm some kinda freak because NAZI SOCKS. Literally hitler socks.

edit: yeah, I've seen that crocheted Panzer slippers pattern, but I showed it to him and he was like THAT'S NOT THE COLOR PANZERS CAME FROM THE FACTORY IN because he's a nerd and nerds ruin everything.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

That sounds completely awesome and I love that story, and I would love to see that pattern. I'm sure the socks are very plain, but still. I'll see if I can find the yarn for it too.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

Well, I think I've set some kind of record for weirdest knitting project. I have a friend who does WW2 re-enactment. He's ethnically Finnish, and the Finns were allies of Germany, so they contributed a battalion of SS to the war effort. (side note: the Finnish battalion was the only battalion in the SS to never be accused of any war crimes, so at least they were the "nicest" SS I guess?) He has collected many original and reproduction SS uniforms and Finnish battalion insignia. For the record, he's a vocal anti-racist and has personally physically ejected several white supremacists who are into SS stuff for the wrong reasons from events because, as he puts it, they ruin everything for the people who are there to preserve history, and they also tend to not know anything and have lovely reproduction or handmade costumes, not actual uniforms. I also like to point out to people that WW2 re-enactment battles wouldn't be very fun if nobody did the Axis side.

Anyway, Finland wasn't the most industrialized country at that time, so while their standard issue socks would have been machine made, the soldiers soon would have needed socks sent from home, hand knitted by family members. I decided to knit him a pair of reproduction home front socks in a manner consistent with what a Finnish soldier would have received in a care package from home. That's right, I'm knitting him Nazi socks.

So first I needed to find a pattern, and I managed to hunt down some sperg who made a comprehensive post about Wehrmacht socks and how to tell if your socks are original or reproduction, and about the style and color variations throughout the war. He posted what looked like a magazine article telling you how to knit socks for your sweetie in the Wehrmacht, so I emailed him and managed to get a high-res scan of the original knitting instructions. In German. I don't speak German and I've knitted one pair of socks ever (and poorly, at that). So then I had to find someone on Ravelry to translate it for me, which was a touchy business because I understand that Germans can perhaps be sensitive about the whole Nazi thing, but she ended up being super chill about it and sharing some family stories about the war from the German side. So now I have a pattern, and all I have to do is hunt down 150g of brownish-grey 100% wool fingering weight yarn. Oh, and there's special breeds of sheep in Finland and so I'm looking for yarn made of that wool because then it's ~extra authentic~ or something.

What a weird project. The re-enactors think I'm a nerd for giving a gently caress about how the socks were made, and the knitters think I'm some kinda freak because NAZI SOCKS. Literally hitler socks.

edit: yeah, I've seen that crocheted Panzer slippers pattern, but I showed it to him and he was like THAT'S NOT THE COLOR PANZERS CAME FROM THE FACTORY IN because he's a nerd and nerds ruin everything.

Is there anyway you could link Nazi socks or crochet Panzer slippers...for science?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

....you're all insane.

Here's the translated pattern:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-QaeZI5ohAOB7AZ2jEzjucTTJChaeOWrgPXiqxtufhhHqe71jvSOO-dyHg9Q/edit?usp=sharing

And here's the original images:

HEIL WOLLSOCKEN! :cripes:

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 16, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

That's so neat, thank you! It's obviously a super plain sock but I love the pictures.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I suddenly feel a bit better about my own Christmas knitting.

Sure I might have to knit two dog sweaters, but at least I don't have to knit nazi socks.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Pile of Kittens posted:

By far the easiest kind of Finnish sheep to track down wool from would be the Finnsheep. This lady has natural coloured and naturally dyed Finnsheep yarn, if that helps.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

By far the easiest kind of Finnish sheep to track down wool from would be the Finnsheep. This lady has natural coloured and naturally dyed Finnsheep yarn, if that helps.

I haven't been able to find any fingering weight (8 st/inch) Finnsheep yarn, and I'm not too worried about the sheep being of the correct breed. I think just plain 100% wool will do for me.

edit: and yes I did consider getting Finnsheep wool and spinning it but my wheel doesn't do thin yarn well at all.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
After singing the praises of circular needles, I just started a project with straight needles. (My first.) They're long and wobbly and weird and I feel like a goof. When I've seen ladies doing it, some seem to keep one needle under their arm and just work with the other, so that's what I'm trying to do, but it's still really clumsy. And my boyfriend laughed at me. Are there any tips I can try to make it more comfortable, or do I just need to practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

I think loop knitting almost always ends up faster than dicking round with dpns. For a hat project I usually start with a 16" and when reduced down to ~70 stitches slip everything onto a 29 inch needle. The minute lost in slipping is regained within 2-3 rows.
It's just an individual thing. I think DPNs move fluidly and dicking around with loops takes forever. Whatever works for you.

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

After singing the praises of circular needles, I just started a project with straight needles. (My first.) They're long and wobbly and weird and I feel like a goof. When I've seen ladies doing it, some seem to keep one needle under their arm and just work with the other, so that's what I'm trying to do, but it's still really clumsy. And my boyfriend laughed at me. Are there any tips I can try to make it more comfortable, or do I just need to practice?
That's a specific style usually used for speed knitting (and I think they usually use a leather cup/belt, too). If you go to a knitting group or anything in the US, nobody will be doing it. I think it's a huge pain and (for me) not worth whatever increase in speed. If it's not clicking for you, feel free to try holding the needles normally at first. There are like a million videos on YouTube.