Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

LateToTheParty posted:

I feel that Hellfirecomms is pretty underrated LP group that needs more love.

This is the Sonic Colors blunder he mentions at the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlKhfyoxzu4

I've never seen so many lives lost so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Has anyone ever wanted to see 3 hour sessions of combat-focused Minecraft at a time? YouTube Superstar Woody's GamerTag has you covered

There's a lot to say about Woody, none of it very good. In more recent months he's been focusing on diversifying his gaming portfolio to include YouTube's favorite thing: Minecraft, an lots of it. Don't watch that video I linked by the way, it is not interesting at all. Woody started his own Minecraft server and it is basically a session focused PVP thing where he and a bunch of other idiots hit each other with swords that seem to do no damage for five minutes until they are all dead and then they start over again. They then repeat that for three hours.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of Minecraft, I figured this was the best place to ask, but how the hell did the Yogcast ever get popular? I tried to watch some of their stuff because everyone can't stop singing their praises but it felt unbearably unfunny, obnoxious, or flat out boring. What exactly am I missing here?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

HGH posted:

Speaking of Minecraft, I figured this was the best place to ask, but how the hell did the Yogcast ever get popular? I tried to watch some of their stuff because everyone can't stop singing their praises but it felt unbearably unfunny, obnoxious, or flat out boring. What exactly am I missing here?

Aspergers, probably.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HGH posted:

They did something different with Minecraft that wasn't simply "build a thing, go caving, die to a creeper" and incorporated a storyline, characters and some pretty impressive builds into their videos.

Today they just do the occasional adventure map or mod and sort of dropped the storyline thing they were doing, which appeared to be completely running out of steam and their desire to continue on with it just wasn't there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HGH posted:

They originally made casual gameplay videos, and were kinda funny, in a subdued, dry way. Then the catch-phrases started to pile up, they began over-playing their characters, and instead of just playing the game with some narrative elements thrown in, they started inventing contrived, tedious plotlines that lacked any wit and dragged on forever.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
If you can't get enough of Minecraft videos, they do constantly put out new content that's at least relatively well edited. But if you're as burnt out on Minecraft in general as I am, there's not much there other than a couple of quirky YouTube personalities.

That moment when their original Minecraft series suddenly turned into a bizarre RPG adventure was legitimately great though, just because neither of them seemed to have any idea of what was going on.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

HGH posted:

I'm not a fan of Yogscast but I can respect what they've done with the game and furthermore I can respect that they admitted when they were sick of it. They had a whole team of people write and create very elaborate stories and maps that they would be relatively blind to, and they would adventure through it so there was a nice mix of unscripted and scripted stuff and they do appeal to a much younger audience.

I don't find them all that funny but I do feel they're on par with the likes of Game Grumps in terms of how I see their videos, which is just background noise and bite-sized bites of hit or miss entertainment while I'm eating or whatever. I don't watch either often but they have their merits despite not necessarily meeting the standard of quality that forum goers might expect.

I find it hard to really criticize them. They've made a pretty successful job of being entertaining personalities for kids. I know my nephews love them and I'd sooner want them watching Yogscast over Pewdiepie or someone like that.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

HGH posted:

Basically they did some interesting videos a long time ago, where someone got a hold of their server password and built a bunch of crap, made it into a storyline, and then soared in popularity. Then the catchphrases started and nowadays they're what you've seen. They play an adventure map, Lewis attempts and fails to be funny, and Simon spits out some catchphrases and screeches like a banshee with it's balls caught in a vice. Still though, I can't hate them for that, I believe they earn at least a six digit salary from what they do, and if you offered me that kinda money to yammer into a mike for 20 mins I'd happily do that.

Also, I believe at least one of them is a goon, if not both of them.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's both, YOG stands for Ye Old Goon.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Fun fact - YouTube is now forcing you to make a Google+ account to reply to comments on your favorite YouTube LPs. And unless they fix it, you also can't reply to any old comments made by someone who was posting using the old comment system - so 99% of previous comments are now effectively archived.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

unfair posted:

Fun fact - YouTube is now forcing you to make a Google+ account to reply to comments on your favorite YouTube LPs. And unless they fix it, you also can't reply to any old comments made by someone who was posting using the old comment system - so 99% of previous comments are now effectively archived.

So youtube comments are effectively useless. What else is new?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Testekill posted:

So youtube comments are effectively useless. What else is new?

Old YouTube comments are useless. New YouTube comments are now slightly less useless due to some new moderation tools available to video uploaders, if they actually start to use them.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

unfair posted:

Have they made changes to the way playlists work too? It might just be me, but as of last night, they don't seem to be auto-playing. Between each video it now asks "play" or "play all", clicking either only plays the next video in the list before asking again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Onean posted:

Old YouTube comments are useless. New YouTube comments are now slightly less useless due to some new moderation tools available to video uploaders, if they actually start to use them.

If anything, they are even less useful because every popular comment section seems to be full of random people just reposting the video on Google+, and their friends replying "Lol funneh". In the past you could at least find few funny comments in the top rated section.

Unless you have a Google + acco... HAHAHAHA

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

DWK posted:

Have they made changes to the way playlists work too? It might just be me, but as of last night, they don't seem to be auto-playing. Between each video it now asks "play" or "play all", clicking either only plays the next video in the list before asking again.
It's been there for a while. A few weeks, maybe.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009
Really!? It only appeared for me when I got home from my shift at ridiculous o'clock and decided to catch up on some Simon's Cat to unwind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sundowner posted:

I'm not a fan of Yogscast but I can respect what they've done with the game and furthermore I can respect that they admitted when they were sick of it. They had a whole team of people write and create very elaborate stories and maps that they would be relatively blind to, and they would adventure through it so there was a nice mix of unscripted and scripted stuff and they do appeal to a much younger audience.

I don't find them all that funny but I do feel they're on par with the likes of Game Grumps in terms of how I see their videos, which is just background noise and bite-sized bites of hit or miss entertainment while I'm eating or whatever. I don't watch either often but they have their merits despite not necessarily meeting the standard of quality that forum goers might expect.

I find it hard to really criticize them. They've made a pretty successful job of being entertaining personalities for kids. I know my nephews love them and I'd sooner want them watching Yogscast over Pewdiepie or someone like that.

I generally like their 'let's achieve this big goal in minecraft' series, they tend to have a lot of dumb filler but they do have a fairly good group dynamic going, and as stupid youtube entertainment goes you can do a lot worse.

Probably most of the entertainment comes from the silly things that end up happening when you stick them all in a game together, and some of it is pretty funny, though a lot of it is hit or miss.

For a very popular youtube group they are pretty good I'd say, it could always be pewdiepie after all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"At least they're better than PewDiePie" is the very definition of damning someone with faint praise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

"At least they're better than PewDiePie" is the very definition of damning someone with faint praise.

True, but it's also actually quite valid praise given what we have to pick from on youtube.

"Not part of the illimitable tide of poo poo" is, while not difficult, at least a comparatively rare comment you can make.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Kai Tave posted:

On the other hand, if anyone can tell me exactly what PewDiePie's appeal is, that he's gotten so much attention and popularity, I'd appreciate it. I watched one of his videos once and I didn't even get to any explicitly offensive parts, he was just so incredibly unfunny I couldn't stand to listen to him

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It's because you're not in the 12-18ish demographic that makes up the majority of his subs and has the kind of time to spend doing nothing but watching the 20 videos he puts out every day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Buttass posted:

On the other hand, if anyone can tell me exactly what PewDiePie's appeal is, that he's gotten so much attention and popularity, I'd appreciate it. I watched one of his videos once and I didn't even get to any explicitly offensive parts, he was just so incredibly unfunny I couldn't stand to listen to him

I tend to think of him as funny for the same reason the Swedish Chef is funny. Silly noises and a silly face = funny.

Except I actually like the Swedish Chef.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

OwlFancier posted:

I tend to think of him as funny for the same reason the Swedish Chef is funny. Silly noises and a silly face = funny.

Except I actually like the Swedish Chef.

I would watch Cooking With PDP. Though it would mainly be in the hopes of some horrible catastrophe.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Vicas posted:

It's because you're not in the 12-18ish demographic that makes up the majority of his subs and has the kind of time to spend doing nothing but watching the 20 videos he puts out every day

Imagine a world where PewDiePie got big enough that adults watched and liked his videos. You're walking down the hall at work and you can hear two people quoting his latest episode and you just want the world to burn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Imagine a world where PewDiePie got big enough that adults watched and liked his videos. You're walking down the hall at work and you can hear two people quoting his latest episode and you just want the world to burn.

Christ I get that when I hear people saying 'lol' in real life...

My inner mind has just gazed over the precipice of hell, thanks for that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lazyfire posted:

Actually, this did happen to me. One lunchtime, a woman I used to work with (I think she was about 25-26ish) was talking to people about PDP. She brought out her phone and tried showing people one of his 'funniest' vids, while everyone around her had this weird look of confusion and disgust. Someone wound up coming over to her and asking her to turn the screeching noise down.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Actually, this did happen to me. One lunchtime, a woman I used to work with (I think she was about 25-26ish) was talking to people about PDP. She brought out her phone and tried showing people one of his 'funniest' vids, while everyone around her had this weird look of confusion and disgust. Someone wound up coming over to her and asking her to turn the screeching noise down.

I really hope she got some HR complaints considering she just exposed everyone to human rights abuses.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lazyfire posted:

I really hope she got some HR complaints considering she just exposed everyone to human rights abuses.

I wanted her tried in front of the Hague, but you know what HR's like.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

OwlFancier posted:

Christ I get that when I hear people saying 'lol' in real life...

My inner mind has just gazed over the precipice of hell, thanks for that.

lol at people who have not accepted the word lol as a real-rear end part of the english language

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vicas posted:

lol at people who have not accepted the word lol as a real-rear end part of the english language

I've no objection to it in text or online, but saying it in real life is literally saying 'I am laughing now' instead of actually laughing.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah there's a buncha people in the early-to-mid-twenties demographic that loving love PDP, just...not any that me or my friends know personally, so we're all completely mystified about the appeal of unfunny voices and the atonal shrieking of a diseased gibbon. We have no one who can explain it to us. We can only wonder.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
This one is a little weird, It's runescape, (the bad outdated MMO) but it's a challenge series that avoids all the typical MMO stuff and I feel someone with no experience of the game could enjoy watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEiVaIZfQ0w&list=SP03BA3AD3CF3EF913

Essentially they're already near max level characters in the game, but they start with 0 items whatsoever and can't do any kind of player trading, so they have to go get raw resources and craft useful items and then use these crafted items to take on one of the hardest bosses in the game. They cut out all the grindy bits and I personally enjoy their commentary.

If you have played the game in the past 5 or 6 years you'll appreciate the challenge even more, because the game really is "kill this 1 thing for money then buy everything else" which means a lot of players have never even crafted an item or used a none combat skill for personal use before in their account's history because it's "inefficient", so it's refreshing to see it done.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Powerfrog posted:

This one is a little weird, It's runescape, (the bad outdated MMO) but it's a challenge series that avoids all the typical MMO stuff and I feel someone with no experience of the game could enjoy watching.

Essentially they're already near max level characters in the game, but they start with 0 items whatsoever and can't do any kind of player trading, so they have to go get raw resources and craft useful items and then use these crafted items to take on one of the hardest bosses in the game. They cut out all the grindy bits and I personally enjoy their commentary.

If you have played the game in the past 5 or 6 years you'll appreciate the challenge even more, because the game really is "kill this 1 thing for money then buy everything else" which means a lot of players have never even crafted an item or used a none combat skill for personal use before in their account's history because it's "inefficient", so it's refreshing to see it done.

That's bizarre. I remember when I played Runescape about eight years ago crafting of one sort or another was just about all that anyone ever did other than PvP.

This is reasonably entertaining, though that may just be nostalgia speaking. Thanks for the recommendation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Powerfrog posted:

See when I played runescape last, it was a bunch of weird cone people with sphere heads and it ran at 10fps in a browser.

That doesn't look like runescape to me.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

I know I'm a little late, but this post by General Ironicus is pretty great.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Jazerus posted:

That's bizarre. I remember when I played Runescape about eight years ago crafting of one sort or another was just about all that anyone ever did other than PvP.

This is reasonably entertaining, though that may just be nostalgia speaking. Thanks for the recommendation.

I definitely remember that aspect of the game. Chopping trees for hours and shouting the same ads over and over...

It felt like a more accomplished form of treadmill, though.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

It really was an evil, evil game. Watching those videos got me feeling all nostalgic for those wasted hours mining and fishing and cooking and crafting.

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Competitive player of a dead game.

OwlFancier posted:

I've no objection to it in text or online, but saying it in real life is literally saying 'I am laughing now' instead of actually laughing.

"lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

People actually type/say "lol" when they are actually laughing? I thought it was just a way of telling someone that you acknowledge they made a joke (even if it wasn't necessarily enough to make them literally laugh).

• Locked thread