Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Lana is Hipster Jesus. She was crucified by her own people for violating their arcane authenticity laws, only to be resurrected more powerful than before in the hearts and minds of gentile teenage girls, easily converted from the false idols of Bieber and Ke$ha.

Oh and this owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge0suUwoz-M

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Say Lou Lou have another wonderful track called Maybe You from a while ago (when they were known as Saint Lou Lou). I'm really looking forward to an EP or album from them but I don't know if anything is really happening

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Is this the thread for posting about MATANGI because I want to talk about MATANGI, it's great and I can't wait to blast it out of car windows this summer. Such a palate cleanser after MAYA.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Say Lou Lou is awesome, Matangi is awesome, 2/3 of Artpop is awesome. I can't wait for the new Britney CD next month.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Atma McCuddles posted:

Is this the thread for posting about MATANGI because I want to talk about MATANGI, it's great and I can't wait to blast it out of car windows this summer. Such a palate cleanser after MAYA.

I saw her play live last night playing mostly from MATANGI. It was awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nyquil hangover posted:

Lorde is a false prophet

Might as well mention, there's something curiously entertaining about seeing people whinge about how Lorde is "ruining" pop music. She's had one song out, for goodness' sake. I remember people were complaining about Gotye and fun. ruining pop music last year, and how Adele was ruining pop music the year before that.

Pop music can never die even if it does change its face from time to time. Why is this difficult to understand?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
The way I've heard it, a lot of it stems from the discussion of authenticity and it's place in music. Lorde is perceived as being sort of a fake product because she has a clear marketing campaign behind her, the same as Lana last year, so a certain category of music listeners feel like they can't listen to her any longer. In my experience these people are also the ones who can't shut up about being completely outside of the influence of commercials and marketing, which is stupid.

Who gives a poo poo about authenticity in pop though, I literally couldn't care less as long as the music is catchy.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 11, 2013

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Well Lana was designed to appeal to the indie/hipster/whatever they're called crowd so when they found out they'd been duped they went apeshit. Lorde obviously has some backing behind her but I've not seen quite as many meltdowns over her. Any dicey details on her that I don't know of?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Might as well mention, there's something curiously entertaining about seeing people whinge about how Lorde is "ruining" pop music. She's had one song out, for goodness' sake. I remember people were complaining about Gotye and fun. ruining pop music last year, and how Adele was ruining pop music the year before that.

Pop music can never die even if it does change its face from time to time. Why is this difficult to understand?

People think she's ruining pop music because its not a super upbeat song. Whatever man most pop music on the radio sucks anyway and these people should just be ignored. IMO Lorde is ok I guess, but I always thought Lana sucked and was an obvious cashgrab for that hipster indie audience.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Who's actually saying Lorde is ruining pop music? I've seen criticisms here and elsewhere, of course, but nothing close to that kind of histrionics.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Brits seem to have a real problem with Lorde for some reason. Almost all the UK Pure Heroine reviews were dismissive and brought up the authenticity issue which is bizarre to me given how autobiographical the album is and also how personally involved with her own aesthetic she is.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
I don't really care about authenticity, I just think Royals sounds like a Lana del Rey b-side.

Metal Loaf posted:

I keep hearing it the other way around - people are talking about how great and original Lorde's song is, and why can't every singer be like her, blah blah blah.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Apart from 'female with a low singing voice' and similar tempos maybe they don't really have much in common. LDR is riffing on being a cinematic Nancy Sinatraish sexpot, singing James Dean film scripts and with lush strings everywhere. Lorde is doing introspective, minimalist synth pop inspired by hiphop, electronic music and literature.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nyquil hangover posted:

I keep hearing it the other way around - people are talking about how great and original Lorde's song is, and why can't every singer be like her, blah blah blah.

I guess one reinforces the other.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Lily Allen is back!

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this song/video. But I'm glad she's making music again :)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

nyquil hangover posted:

Lily Allen is back!

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this song/video. But I'm glad she's making music again :)

This is the best news! And after listening a time or two, her new song has grown on me.
Strangely enough, Ellie Goulding music always ALWAYS starts the same. I hear it - hate it - don't mind it - love it.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Spiteski posted:

This is the best news! And after listening a time or two, her new song has grown on me.
Strangely enough, Ellie Goulding music always ALWAYS starts the same. I hear it - hate it - don't mind it - love it.

Have you heard Ellie's new song for the Catching Fire soundtrack? http://elliesjoy.tumblr.com/post/66779099911/mirror-ellie-goulding-from-the-hunger-games

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Man that's really nice. My morning radio show I listen to on the way to work played just a snippet from what I think was the middle, couldn't get a lot out of the vibe, a drop like that is nothing without the buildup.

They also played Lorde's cover of Tears for Fears which I thought was...
Well, it isn't as good as Ellie's one now I have heard the whole thing.
- Could only find the snippet that the radio show played. Seems like this is all there is. Might be a lot better in full.

The Ellie Goulding song that took the longest for me to come around to, is actually her latest one to be on the radio over here in NZ.
Burn - Ellie Goulding

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

nyquil hangover posted:

Lily Allen is back!

I watched that real drowsy last night and decided I hallucinated most of that.

Um… right. Regardless, I'm happy she's back.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

nyquil hangover posted:

Lily Allen is back!

I love this line

“Don’t you want to have somebody who objectifies you/ Have you thought about your butt, who’s gonna tear it in two?”

Which I am going to hypothesize the last part is a reference to this part from Blurred Lines:

Yeah, I had a bitch, but she ain't bad as you
So hit me up when you pass through
I'll give you something big enough to tear your rear end in two

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 13, 2013

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I love this line

“Don’t you want to have somebody who objectifies you/ Have you thought about your butt, who’s gonna tear it in two?”

Which I am going to hypothesize the last part is a reference to this part from Blurred Lines:

Yeah, I had a bitch, but she ain't bad as you
So hit me up when you pass through
I'll give you something big enough to tear your rear end in two

That, and the un-subtle parody of his "Robin Thicke has a big dick" balloon wall with her "Lily Allen has a baggy pussy"

E: I swear this isn't a derail

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Spiteski posted:

That, and the un-subtle parody of his "Robin Thicke has a big dick" balloon wall with her "Lily Allen has a baggy pussy"

It also takes a swipe at Miley Cyrus - namely, the bit where Lily attempts twerking because her (old, white, male) manager tells her to.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Spiteski posted:

Why would this be a derail? it's discussion of pop music, that's sort of what we're going for here. Thank you and keep contributing!

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
The tracklist for the new Britney album is out!

The titles are really intriguing. I'm excited to hear Alien and Don't Cry. The demo for Passenger leaked about a week ago and it's really good.

Bummed that she's doing another song with will.i.am, I hope It Should Be Easy isn't just Scream and Shout 2.0.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the new Lily Allen song; pop music has moved forward since she did "Smile" and "The Fear" and she's acknowledging that progression while putting her distinctive spin on it.

Does anybody think her lyrical approach is influenced by Ian Dury? I've seen the comparison before.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

nyquil hangover posted:

The titles are really intriguing. I'm excited to hear Alien
I hope it's about James Franco's character in Spring Breakers. After all, there is a scene in that movie in which James Franco's character (named Alien) and the girls that hang around him go on a crime spree set to Britney's "Everytime".

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I tried to listen to the Sky Ferreria album but it just sounds like noise to me. I feel like I'm missing something

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
gently caress Ke$ha.

Seriously, whoever writes her stuff needs to be shot for creating the most earwormy poo poo on the planet. I cannot count the number of times this week I have gotten "timber" out of my head just to get it promptly stuck back in it again.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So, uh, McBusted? Apparently this isn't the first time they've appeared together, and I had no idea.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

AA is for Quitters posted:

gently caress Ke$ha.

Seriously, whoever writes her stuff needs to be shot for creating the most earwormy poo poo on the planet. I cannot count the number of times this week I have gotten "timber" out of my head just to get it promptly stuck back in it again.

Speaking of Ke$ha, I just read that Lipsha, her collaboration with the Flaming Lips, won't be released after all, which makes me sad. 2012 (You Must Be Upgraded) was great.

By the way, most of her stuff was co-written with Dr. Luke, and apparently they've had a huge falling out over the way her second album, Warrior, came together.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 15, 2013

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Probably because Warrior was such a flop.

She's a good writer and her first 2 CDs were really awesome. But Warrior was generic and about 2 years out of date. Hopefully she comes back strong with her best album :)

Has anyone heard her unreleased tracks? I recommend Booty Call, I Hate You (Don't Leave Me), and U Better Know.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I thought he falling out came about because Ke$ha actually DID want to go into a different direction, at least in parts, and both the label and Dr. Luke pressured here to stick with the established sound?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
The rumor is she wanted, and wants, to be a rock star and hang with the Flaming Lips and Iggy Pop or whatever but Dr. Luke has her under a really draconian contract for a really long time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Krangdar posted:

The rumor is she wanted, and wants, to be a rock star and hang with the Flaming Lips and Iggy Pop or whatever but Dr. Luke has her under a really draconian contract for a really long time.

She totally could, too. Gold Trans Am is such an awesome hair metal song, and Dirty Love is the best Riot Grrl song of the new millennium (that I've heard, anyway). She's a good enough songwriter and performer that she could easily spend the rest of her career doing the same kind of Dr. Luke pop that she's been doing, but god she should be doing so much more, and clearly she recognizes that.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Gaga killed it on SNL last night and R Kelly dry-humped her on stage. It was cool

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Gaga killed it on SNL last night and R Kelly dry-humped her on stage. It was cool

Hail Empress Beyoncé!
Seriously, those sketches she was featured in was quite funny and now I wish she was to be featured in more shows/movies.
But is there any swedes/norwegians or scandinavians in general that has heard Veronica Maggio's newest album, Handan i fickan fast jag bryr meg?
I don't think it was as catchy or "good" as Satan i gatan, but it was quite entertaining and I've been listening to a few songs repeatedly lately. For you non-scandinavian goons, I would actually recommend her album Satan i gatan because I think the music in general is quite good :3:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I've never been let down by Scandinavian pop, I'll have to check it out. You have some catchy songs over there!

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

nyquil hangover posted:

The titles are really intriguing. I'm excited to hear Alien and Don't Cry. The demo for Passenger leaked about a week ago and it's really good.

Bummed that she's doing another song with will.i.am, I hope It Should Be Easy isn't just Scream and Shout 2.0.

God, that hardly even looks like her. Why doesn't it look like her?

And guess which pop artist is People's new Sexiest Man Alive?

Someone please tell me what part of that ratface is in any way sexy

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 20, 2013

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Wildeyes posted:

And guess which pop artist is People's new Sexiest Man Alive?

haha was literally EVERY OTHER MAN unavailable?

What about Idris Elba? He's been in the public eye a lot and had a bunch of movies come out this year. If they wanted a musician they could've at least gone with Justin Timberlake or Kanye or something. Or the guy who performs with Macklemore all the time (Ryan Lewis?).

I'm putting too much thought into this

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wildeyes posted:

I'd wager it's that sexy, sexy Auto-Tune screech.

Anyway...

In other news, it looks like Artpop has had a somewhat sluggish start. It sold about 260, 000 copies, which is good, but well below what Gaga shifted last time (Born This Way debuted with sales of 1, 000, 000; even if you factor in that about 400, 000 were sold for $0.99 as part of an Amazon one-day discount, that's still about three times what Artpop managed in its first week). I've seen this soft landing attributed to the failure of "Applause" to go straight to number one, but that hardly seems fair, because it's stayed in the Top 10 since it was released.