Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008
So, fun fact: I actually scored a date by reading Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar and writing a critique on it, including my own personal observations. The girl was so blown away that she agreed to see me after that, and we've gone on a few dates. Without directly asking her, I'm looking to find more books that may be in the realm of books she'd enjoy - for me to read and eventually decide whether or not to loan them to her.

So far I know she is very fond of:

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
The Devil and the White City - Erik Larson
On the Road - Jack Kerouac

She seems to really like the semi-biographical books, so I was thinking Charles Bukowski? I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Ignited posted:

So, fun fact: I actually scored a date by reading Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar and writing a critique on it, including my own personal observations. The girl was so blown away that she agreed to see me after that, and we've gone on a few dates. Without directly asking her, I'm looking to find more books that may be in the realm of books she'd enjoy - for me to read and eventually decide whether or not to loan them to her.

She seems to really like the semi-biographical books, so I was thinking Charles Bukowski? I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions?

Women by Charles Bukowski

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
An edition of Naked Lunch where you've highlighted the bits on women.
e: also how on earth does lit-crit game work?

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

barkingclam posted:

Any literary works from similar - or different - authors you might also like?

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Are there any decent books that discuss the evolution of personality? I'm interested in reading a non-emotional (or emotional, I don't really care so long as it approaches the subject with at least some professionalism) analysis of how some people become more interesting, others boring, some charismatic, others reclusive, etc.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ignited posted:

Betcha she likes DH Lawrence
Also Virginia Wolfe

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Ignited posted:

Any literary works from similar - or different - authors you might also like?

Get her like four or five books by Chuck Klosterman (any will do, just not the novels), Then ask her questions like "Do you think Radiohead can be both under- and over-rated at the same time?" I bet she'll love that

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

barkingclam posted:

Get her like four or five books by Chuck Klosterman (any will do, just not the novels), Then ask her questions like "Do you think Radiohead can be both under- and over-rated at the same time?" I bet she'll love that

Yeah, then put on some Kiss or GnR to seal the deal.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Ignited posted:

Special by Peter Sotos.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I remember seeing a book called "What the Papers Mean" a while ago, a non fiction book about why newspapers use words like "romp" etc that no one uses in everyday speech. I can't find anything about it now, definitely not by that name - does anyone recognise it or can recommend something similar?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I heard of a similar book and so crawled back through the archives of Radio 4's The Media Show and hit upon this: Romps, Tots, and Boffins: The Strange Language of News by Robert Hutton. Not read it, don't know if it's any good, but if it doesn't tell you what's the deal with "romp" then you can probably sue.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

I heard of a similar book and so crawled back through the archives of Radio 4's The Media Show and hit upon this: Romps, Tots, and Boffins: The Strange Language of News by Robert Hutton. Not read it, don't know if it's any good, but if it doesn't tell you what's the deal with "romp" then you can probably sue.

That's exactly it! No idea why I thought it had a different name, but thank you for your efforts :)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone read Dead Harvest by Chris F. Holm? Any good?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Ignited posted:

She's either in ninth grade English, or hasn't really read books since ninth grade English.

See this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/28-favorite-books-that-are-huge-red-flags?s=mobile

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
'Six "favorite" buzzfeed links that are actually giant red flags (that you might actually be a complete dildo)

I came into the thread to ask for a book on Chinese economic history starting in 1900 or so, can anyone recommend one after they make sure it's okay with the poster above me?

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 4, 2013

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Transistor Rhythm posted:

She's either in ninth grade English, or hasn't really read books since ninth grade English.

See this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/28-favorite-books-that-are-huge-red-flags?s=mobile

That article states that if your favorite book is The Great Gatsby, you stopped reading in the tenth grade.

e; what the gently caress is wrong with you?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Roughly 1/3 of the books on that list are indeed crap
1/3 are just kinda there, I have no strong feelings about them
And the last third are legit good books.

Bad list, written by someone who thinks they are far smarter than they are.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
gently caress lists like that. "I can summarize this book in a sentence in a way that is slightly insulting." Congratulations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Sharzak posted:

I came into the thread to ask for a book on Chinese economic history starting in 1900 or so, can anyone recommend one after they make sure it's okay with the poster above me?

A friend suggests Economic Growth in Prewar China by Thomas Rawski, but good luck finding it. I think Rawski has other books that may be relevant that are probably more available.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

DirtyRobot posted:

gently caress lists like that. "I can summarize this book in a sentence in a way that is slightly insulting." Congratulations.

Yeah, my feelings towards anyone who posts a list of books without more than 10 words regarding the topic.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

dokmo posted:

A friend suggests Economic Growth in Prewar China by Thomas Rawski, but good luck finding it. I think Rawski has other books that may be relevant that are probably more available.

I'm actually more interested in the postwar to present period, but I did find a book cowritten by Rawski that seems to sort of fit what I'm looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/Chinas-Balance-Influence-Security-Continuum/dp/0822959674
on the off chance anyone else is interested.

It seems light on history in favor of current policy recommendations but that might have to do--the most in depth thing I've been able to find has been a howstuffworks article. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit--would also like an exhaustive economic review on post imperial India too but I feel like that might be even harder.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 4, 2013

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Sorry for being a dick.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Ignited posted:

I feel like I'm contributing to a cliché (because I am, I guess), but an honest suggestion from me that happened to be mentioned last page (in an entirely different context) is Proust.

This is a cliché because Proust and his most well-known work In Search of Lost Time is seen by some (many?) as the archetypical Serious (Yet Sensitive) Young Man's go-to author-plus-Great-Work to show a girl that he's a deep thinker and/or romantic.

All that said, Proust and In Search of Lost Time is rightfully hailed as a great piece of literature, eminently worth reading, for this, or any other reason. It is long, however, and dense on top of it. It may not be practical in your precise situation.

That The Devil and the White City is in that admittedly short list of books she's fond of along with its company strikes me as a little out of place. But whatever. Reading Ted Hughes would keep you in the Plath/Hughes discussion orbit, which might be interesting conversational fodder. Birthday Letters is the latter-day collection which published a poem where he broke his silence on Plath. Of course, he also had an entire career's worth of content up to that volume.

I have some more recommendations of generally biographical (in some sense, anyway) fiction and poetry, but I'm not sure if you want to stay kinda within the categories that three-item list implies, or take wider suggestions as well.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 5, 2013

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

barkingclam posted:

I'm 15% in this book already... what the Christ, man. Please tell me there is more to it than just drinking-oval office-sex-puking-repeat.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It ends eventually.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

minidracula posted:

I feel like I'm contributing to a cliché (because I am, I guess), but an honest suggestion from me that happened to be mentioned last page (in an entirely different context) is Proust.

This is a cliché because Proust and his most well-known work In Search of Lost Time is seen by some (many?) as the archetypical Serious (Yet Sensitive) Young Man's go-to author-plus-Great-Work to show a girl that he's a deep thinker and/or romantic.

All that said, Proust and In Search of Lost Time is rightfully hailed as a great piece of literature, eminently worth reading, for this, or any other reason. It is long, however, and dense on top of it. It may not be practical in your precise situation.

That The Devil and the White City is in that admittedly short list of books she's fond of along with its company strikes me as a little out of place. But whatever. Reading Ted Hughes would keep you in the Plath/Hughes discussion orbit, which might be interesting conversational fodder. Birthday Letters is the latter-day collection which published a poem where he broke his silence on Plath. Of course, he also had an entire career's worth of content up to that volume.

I have some more recommendations of generally biographical (in some sense, anyway) fiction and poetry, but I'm not sure if you want to stay kinda within the categories that three-item list implies, or take wider suggestions as well.

minidracula,

Thank you so much for your well written, and thought-out response. I'll be reading both of these - now, if I can't stomach any more of Bukowski's Women. I'd always be interested in what you might think is an interesting read. Much appreciated.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Ignited posted:

Try Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson, which is a semi autobiographical story of a young lesbian girl growing up in a Pentecostal town. It also won the Whitebread Award. Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides is also pretty great. A pretty hipster-ish option is Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood.

Seems she reads a lot of American fiction, maybe branch out and introduce her to some amazing world literature? Yasunari Kawabata wrote the beautiful and amazing Beauty and Sadness and won the Nobel prize, or you could try the fiction of Jorge Luis Borges, one of the forefathers of magic realism.

I personally hate Bukowski (no offense to those who love him - he tends to be polarizing) so I don't fault you for not really wanting to read Women.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

Poutling posted:

Try Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson, which is a semi autobiographical story of a young lesbian girl growing up in a Pentecostal town. It also won the Whitebread Award. Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides is also pretty great. A pretty hipster-ish option is Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood.

Seems she reads a lot of American fiction, maybe branch out and introduce her to some amazing world literature? Yasunari Kawabata wrote the beautiful and amazing Beauty and Sadness and won the Nobel prize, or you could try the fiction of Jorge Luis Borges, one of the forefathers of magic realism.

I personally hate Bukowski (no offense to those who love him - he tends to be polarizing) so I don't fault you for not really wanting to read Women.

I just Primed Beauty and Sadness to my front-door, as well as Ted Hughes' Birthday Letters. I expect to see her after Thanksgiving - so hopefully I'll be done with these by then. Bukowski is being shelved for the time being.

Ignited fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 5, 2013

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Ignited posted:

I just Primed Beauty and Sadness to my front-door, as well as Ted Hughes' Birthday Letters. I expect to see her after Thanksgiving - so hopefully I'll be done with these by then. Bukowski is being shelved for the time being.
Yeah, I feel like the suggestions of Women by Bukowski and drat near anything by Peter Sotos were at least quasi-"joke" recommendations for your purposes. Not that they're not necessarily good, depending...

A short read that I'm fond of and that's written from a first-person "biographical" point of view (but not really biographical fiction in the way The Bell Jar or On the Road is), and that I think would be good conversational fodder is The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. I'll also second Poutling's recommendation of The Virgin Suicides.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 6, 2013

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I'm interested about something in which the character develops as a person. I feel I'm in period of personal growth in my life myself and this kind of reading interests me. Overcoming one's flaws, becoming better, that kind of stuff. Something inspirational and not depressive.

Japanese literature has also started to interest me lately, so if these two birds could be killed with one stone it'd be awesome.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

Rurik posted:

I'm interested about something in which the character develops as a person. I feel I'm in period of personal growth in my life myself and this kind of reading interests me. Overcoming one's flaws, becoming better, that kind of stuff. Something inspirational and not depressive.

Japanese literature has also started to interest me lately, so if these two birds could be killed with one stone it'd be awesome.

While short, it definitely amused me - Kurt Vonnegut's Basic Training.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Rurik posted:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Disregard the hippy-dippy title and connotation, it's legit good and covers exactly what you're looking for.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

Rurik posted:

Shogun is a pretty epic story about a British sailor who is shipwrecked in Japan in 1600 and has to learn to adapt to an alien culture. Its pretty great if you can get past the liberties Clavell takes toward history and his occasionally outdated "orientalism".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KingAsmo posted:

Shogun is a pretty epic story about a British sailor who is shipwrecked in Japan in 1600 and has to learn to adapt to an alien culture. Its pretty great if you can get past the liberties Clavell takes toward history and his occasionally outdated "orientalism".

Shogun was my first thought also but it's probably not the sort of uplifting narrative he's looking for.

I would recommend some fantasy novels, especially the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander and maybe the first three Earthsea books by Ursula K. LeGuin.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Just read Black Prism, Blinding Light (Can't wait for the third book), and now the hunger games. Anyone have any recommendations for me?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I dunno who was asking for it, but whoever is looking for something similar to The Devil in the White City I've just read The Inventor and the Tycoon by Edward Ball and it is fantastic and quite similar.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

I dunno who was asking for it, but whoever is looking for something similar to The Devil in the White City I've just read The Inventor and the Tycoon by Edward Ball and it is fantastic and quite similar.

That was me, I'm guessing Tesla / Edison?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Ignited posted:

That was me, I'm guessing Tesla / Edison?

Eadweard Muybridge, Leland Stanford, and the "birth of moving pictures."

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

Just read Black Prism, Blinding Light (Can't wait for the third book), and now the hunger games. Anyone have any recommendations for me?

Anthony Ryan's Blood Song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RisqueBarber posted:

Have you read the Night Angel trilogy that Brent Weeks wrote before Black Prism?