Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Numero6 posted:

Now I want to see Chikara booking a compelling feud between Jerry Flynn and Glacier.

By this you mean they'd give him Kane pyro and a palette-swap yellow Glacier suit, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ChampRamp posted:

Okerlund looks really good after all the dogshit interviewers we've had for the past decade.

Renee Young is great and a Canadian hero

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Okerlund always looked like he took the job deadly seriously, which made promos from borderline-insane characters like Macho Man twice as good.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Cactus Jack posted:

There is no way the Beast Incarnate Brock Lesnar would ever use a compu-

I will never not laugh at nerdy Brock

Just the idea of someone trying to bully him, then winding up with his head punched off

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Carlton Banks posted:

I will never not laugh at nerdy Brock

Just the idea of someone trying to bully him, then winding up with his head punched off

The idea of Brock Lesnar punching someone in an upright position is pretty funny to me too

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Paulocaust posted:

The idea of Brock Lesnar punching someone in an upright position is pretty funny to me too

Heath Herring and Randy Couture aren't laughing.

They also weren't exactly top-level fighters when they faced him, but still! :v:

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
I quite like the idea of someone picking on Nerd Brock, getting punched 50,000 times and then looking like a total hero when they throw a single punch in return and he instantly turns into the Cowardly Lion. OH poo poo GOTTA GO CANADA GAVE ME POOP PROBLEMS GUYS.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That's doubly funny since Heath Herring *did* punch him 50,000 times. He punched him so much he got tired, then Brock choked him to death with his own arm.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

sticklefifer posted:

By this you mean they'd give him Kane pyro and a palette-swap yellow Glacier suit, right?
What about Jerry Flynn as Johnny Cage?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

That's doubly funny since Heath Herring *did* punch him 50,000 times. He punched him so much he got tired, then Brock choked him to death with his own arm.

I'm not really an MMA fan, so I can't really comment on the veracity of this statement, but I've heard Brock was basically to MMA as Homer Simpson was to boxing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No, Brock had a lousy chin for a heavyweight and never developed good striking because of it. His other weakness was a lack of jiu-jitsu experience.

jfjnpxmy posted:

POOP PROBLEMS GUYS.
Oh, and that.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Brock's chin was fine, he was just literally scared of getting hit. He got rocked a lot because his striking defense was very bad, but he wasn't like Kimbo Slice or whatever.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Counterpoint:

Remember that time Brock Lesnar was in WCW

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

david carmichael posted:

Brock's chin was fine, he was just literally scared of getting hit. He got rocked a lot because his striking defense was very bad, but he wasn't like Kimbo Slice or whatever.

Did Kimbo replace Bob Sapp as the standard for glass-jawed monsters?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

david carmichael posted:

Or King Mo who must have an off switch hidden in his beard.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Did Kimbo replace Bob Sapp as the standard for glass-jawed monsters?

I don't think he had a glass jaw, he just sucked. Like for a backyard brawler, he actually had great technique, head movement, etc... But "great for a backyard brawler" doesn't mean poo poo against actual trained fighters. I always thought he had a good understanding of striking for someone who didnt train. Maybe he could have been a good boxer had he not started his career so late. Also Bob Sapp isn't so much a glass jawed monster as he is a diving coward.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I was never an MMA guy but I did watch those PPV's when Brock was fighting and I remember the heat he got from "MMA Fans®" when he was winning was absolutely hilarious. I watched the Brock PPV's at a co-workers house which was full of hardcore UFC fans that were completely disgusted a "pro wrassler" was even competing in this legitimate contest. He then cut that famous heel promo after winning the belt and the dudes went even more crazy. They truly were the biggest marks.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Brock Lesnar was really talented he just started to late. His chin was actually quite good but when he go hit he did not have the reaction you would want a pro fighter to have which is just ignore it, instead he would seem to panic. This doesn't make him a pussy, it takes a long time to get used to being hit and he didn't have that much striking experience, plus there were always rumors floating out of his training camp that his sparring partners weren't allowed to hit in the head.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I was never an MMA guy but I did watch those PPV's when Brock was fighting and I remember the heat he got from "MMA Fans®" when he was winning was absolutely hilarious. I watched the Brock PPV's at a co-workers house which was full of hardcore UFC fans that were completely disgusted a "pro wrassler" was even competing in this legitimate contest. He then cut that famous heel promo after winning the belt and the dudes went even more crazy. They truly were the biggest marks.

No one with more than half a brain thought like this. Brock was dominant in combat sports well before he was a pro wrestler and unless you were a "just bleed" moron, you knew he had the tools to be great if he dedicated himself, which he did for the most part.

E: also the bud light promo was after he walked through Mir, beat Herring and knocked out Couture. If your friends thought he didn't belong in "legitimate competition" at that point they have brain damage.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 7, 2013

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
willing to dedicate himself 100% to a new sport called "not in the face NOT IN THE FACE"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
like the main issue wasn't that he reacted poorly after he got hit (which was a problem) it was that when he thought he was going to get hit he closed his eyes and flinched instead of attempting to not get hit. you will never get over the flinch reflex if you don't practice getting hit, and he didn't want to let people hit him in the face in training so he never got over it. its not like these were rules imposed by some "mysterious training camp", brock owned the facility and ran the fight team.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yeah, stop closing your eyes when a punch is coming is like one of the first things I learned in boxing. It's honestly not that hard to learn, and once you do not only do you get hit less but you learn how to wait for the other guy and counter.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Brock's diverticulitis was causes by Pat Barry repeatedly kicking his stomach until his own poo poo leaked in it because he wasnt allowed to punch him in the face

E: but then I remember its because he was literally too stupid to eat a vegetable and I laugh even harder

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 7, 2013

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Shut up about Brock Lesnar in the WCW thread god drat.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

joshtothemaxx posted:

How 'bout that Tank Abbot?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

joshtothemaxx posted:

Oh no, an actual conversation in a thread that gets like two posts a day. Shut up loser.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Zack_Gochuck posted:

:pulls out knife: I could loving kill you right now, you know that, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IronCladBurrito posted:

:pulls out knife: I could loving kill you right now, you know that, right?

He just wants to give you a shave.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I always loved Tank Abbot's resume:
1. Can bench 600 pounds
2. Beats up drunk fratboys in bars

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I heard he was the original Huntington Beach Bad Boy.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 7, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Tank beat a man until he was twitching on the mat and then mocked him for it. That is a hell of a heel promo.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

People who live/lived in the NYC region, do any of you remember some WCW show being on CBS on friday afternoons? It wasn't WCW Pro. I cannot remember for the life of me what show it was.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My favourite thing about Tank Abbott is that incredible book he wrote about a bar brawler.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Cena posted:

People who live/lived in the NYC region, do any of you remember some WCW show being on CBS on friday afternoons? It wasn't WCW Pro. I cannot remember for the life of me what show it was.

WCW's syndicated show was Worldwide, so it was likely that. Everything else was on TBS/TNT.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

John Cena posted:

Around what year? You're right that it can't be Pro because Pro and then Worldwide were on Saturdays, but no other WCW show is coming to mind as having aired on CBS.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Did Worldwide do a lot of recaps of what happened on Saturday night? I have a vauge recollection of a WCW show on the NBC affiliate my cable company carried around 1994 or 1995, and I remember watching it because Hulk Hogan was on it, but I can't imagine Hogan would have been on Worldwide.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
If I found myself with access to the time portal from Stephen King's book 11/22/63 I wouldn't gently caress around preventing murders and banging a big titty librarian who likes swing dancing, I'd hang around Georgia for 40 years and fuckin' make Tank Abbott take those singing lessons.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

MassRafTer posted:

WCW's syndicated show was Worldwide, so it was likely that. Everything else was on TBS/TNT.
On the wikipedia entry for Pro, it says there were two syndicated versions of Pro, one in Chicago which aired on WGN, and one in New York which aired on WPIX.

quote:

In 1990, WCW Pro Wrestling was picked up by WPIX-TV in New York City and WGN-TV in Chicago. These two shows were localized versions of the show, with Tony Schiavone and veteran Chicago Cubs broadcaster Jack Brickhouse hosting WGN's WCW Pro Chicago, while Jim Ross and Paul E. Dangerously hosted WPIX's WCW Pro New York. These local versions featured the same matches as the national version of the show, with local spots inserted. In mid-1991, the New York version moved to WCBS-TV where the show aired in a late-night Saturday slot. However, after only a few weeks, the show was replaced by WCW WorldWide, which stayed on WCBS for the next five years.
Sounds like what the dude is talking about, since it aired on a CBS affiliate.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 7, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Retro Observer posted:

The plan to make the Horseman look like jobbers wasn't the original angle, but a revised angle came up with by Hogan which has caused at least a few of the wrestlers to complain once again Hogan is booking for his own ego rather than for business. The original plan was to create a situation where the Horsemen would be involved in a scenario where they would jump and run off Hall and Nash, and about that time Hogan would arrive and be by himself. As he was being beaten on, then the Giant would come out for the finishing touches on Hogan, but instead Giant would choke slam all the Horsemen. However, Hogan refused that scenario and came up with the one that was used.

:ughh:

edit:

quote:

Several sources indicate that despite stories to the contrary, Bret Hart will return to the WWF to wrestle Steve Austin on the Survivor Series PPV show on 11/17 from Madison Square Garden.

Hart was originally scheduled to return for the 9/22 Mind Games PPV to do an interview segment which would lead to an angle to build up his match with Austin. However, that has yet to be announced for the show and we've received unconfirmed reports that Hart will still be in South Africa filming the new "Sinbad" television show. Whether the originally planned angle will take place on the 10/20 PPV to build up for Survivor Series isn't confirmed, but it would make sense that things would happen that way.

Apparently when Hart and McMahon reached a verbal agreement for Hart to return, after McMahon flew to Calgary to meet with Hart in the days following the Vancouver International Incident show, the scenario the two agreed on was for a match with Austin at Survivor Series, followed by appearances at the December and January PPV shows. Hart would go back on the road full-time sometime in January to build up for Wrestlemania. The apparent sketchy plan would be that they would shoot an angle at the Royal Rumble to lead to the Hart-Michaels return match at next year's Wrestlemania. It would make sense that the title switch would take place at that show for several reasons. First off, Hart had made it clear he wouldn't return unless the belt was in the cards and he was unhappy enough at having to put Shawn Michaels over last year and it's doubtful he'd agree to come back if it meant putting him over a second time. Second, Michaels has apparently made it clear that he would put Hart over in a title match provided he was promised to get the belt back at a specific time in the future.

Hart had told business friends that he was offered substantially more money by WCW (he had told one person it was triple what he had made in WWF) but felt that going to that company would be a step down.

double edit: Also some Olympic wrestler named "Kurt Angle" got offered a contract by Linda? But Dave isn't sure if this guy is going to go to Japan instead.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What actually happened that was worse than The Giant beating up all of the Horsemen by himself?