Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

*Almost* ready with the FT3D (finally).
Just need to do final fitting of servos and balance the prop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
How do you print out the plans for your planes? I'm having a hell of a time printing out the Duster and getting everything to line up... becoming very frustrating.

I'm to the point that I think I'm going to cut around all the parts and fit them individually rather than all the sheets as one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

rotaryfun posted:

How do you print out the plans for your planes? I'm having a hell of a time printing out the Duster and getting everything to line up... becoming very frustrating.

I'm to the point that I think I'm going to cut around all the parts and fit them individually rather than all the sheets as one.

Throw the full sheet plan (if available) on a thumb drive and bring it to staples/kinkos/etc and have them print it on their large format printer. I think I paid $2-3 for the last one I had printed, have them do it as an engineering drawing in black & white.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

rotaryfun posted:

Print out the tiled version, cut of bottom + side at the registration line. Line up with appropriate page, tack it with tape on the corners, flip around and a long strip of tape on the back seam.
In order to do it cleanly, you'll need a cutting mat, Xacto knife with fresh blades and at least 1 hour of undisturbed time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Picked up a fully assembled but looks like very low flight time Raptor 50 Titan Thursday afternoon for cheap, started tearing into it Friday after work. Removed the nitro stuff, fit a Align 600 510kv motor, YEP 100A ESC and chopped about an inch off the tail boom. 45 minutes ago I ran two packs through hovering my new electric raptor in the driveway. Tail belt drives everything and makes for a pretty quiet ship other than the horrible wood blades.

Will toss some pictures up at some point, likely lots of test flights and adjustments tomorrow. For now running 2x 3s 2200mah packs in parallel but there's space to fit all four so I may play with a series-parallel setup. Nice thing is now I'll have an eRaptor and can toss the OS50 in my old Raptor 30.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 27, 2013

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I've finally been able to start my Caipirinha build. Its coming along pretty well. The only thing I've done to really depart from the instructions is magnetising the winglets with some HK rare earth magnets.

Its my first flying wing and I'm looking forward to getting it flying. Of course I am still waiting on parts from China :negative:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Any recommendations for a decent, sub-$50 RC copter for a gift? This would be a first so something that is easy to fly would be good, but it's for an adult so it doesn't need to be super simple.

A video camera would be really cool. Able to get a little distance (so we can fly it outside) would be neat as well.

I was looking at the Syma RC Helicopter S-107C ($30, http://amzn.com/B0081VOEZM) as well as the UDI U13A 3 Channel 2.4GHz Metal RC Helicopter w/ Video Camera ($55, http://amzn.com/B0087SUH4Q) which both seem to have good reviews on Amazon, but I know nothing about these things.

-I- personally think a kit would be amazingly cool, but my husband tends to never complete projects he starts so I'd like to get him something he can actually play with right away. If this isn't the right thread to ask in, apologies.

EVG fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 29, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
They're both effectively the same thing. If you want to fly it outdoors, the larger one ($55) will be more stable outside.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Well I'm pretty much ready for the Caipirinha maiden. Hopefully I don't lawn dart it at mach 1 :ohdear:

Just have to balance the prop and do the servo limits and it should be good to go.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I spy 433. What system did you go with?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ease posted:

I spy 433. What system did you go with?

Just the orangerx 100mw flashed to openlrsng. I'll probably upgrade the tx to a 1w hawkeye or similar once I start going further. I made a simple sander style monopole for the rx antenna and I have a half wave whip on the tx.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Nice Caipi. Is that 2.3ghz video?

A couple local FPVers trolled an AMA field from 3 miles away :O

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20175-What-s-going-on-in-Colorado...&p=368560&viewfull=1#post368560

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

Nice Caipi. Is that 2.3ghz video?

A couple local FPVers trolled an AMA field from 3 miles away :O

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20175-What-s-going-on-in-Colorado...&p=368560&viewfull=1#post368560

2.4ghz. Its this cheap HK vtx http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__26830__2_4Ghz_4_Channel_AV_Transmitter_500mW_FPV.html. They were out of stock of the lawmate when I ordered so I thought for $17 its cheap enough to give it a go. I'll get the lawmate or something else if it isn't great. Its nice and clear though from 10m away in my living room :shepface:

I bet the AMA loved that :allears:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So it was a double maiden: Mashed got his Caipirinha in the air and it looked real good, even if the space was a little constricted.
I had a mixed bag with my FT3D. Power was sufficient, but rudder authority was minimal at low rates and even at high rates it was a bit meh. Had to land it straight away which it did as smoothly as conditions allowed.
I changed all the rates to have 100% rudder and launched it again, but even then it was certainly not as crisp as I would have liked.
Then got my self into a bit of trouble and dragged the tail at speed and tore the elevator. Fairly easy fix, but overall performance (power aside) was a let down. Pitch authority was also sluggish.
I just tested and the control rods (2mm carbon) will bend if I lock down the rudder, which could be part of the issue, so I will re-enforce those.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah it was good to get the Capiriniha flying. I was finding it needed a good bit of sky to fly though and with trees and light towers everywhere at the park I want to go somewhere more open to get used to it. I haven't flown a fixed wing RC in over 10 years so its going to take a bit of getting used to. It looks really promising though :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The successor to the mqx was released. Blade 180qx. Comes with a camera and the SAFE technology, but otherwise is an mqx

http://www.bladehelis.com/180QX/

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The successor to the mqx was released. Blade 180qx. Comes with a camera and the SAFE technology, but otherwise is an mqx

http://www.bladehelis.com/180QX/

No, It's much better, it comes with a good looking body. :-) The whole reason I wouldn't buy a mqx is that ugly freaking body.

ugh, here goes another $150

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Replace MQX body with SOLO cup cut in half, get a better looking body and less parachute effect on top of it.

I do like the new FC that the 180QX comes with, since its basically the same one out of the nanoQX

I still love flying my MQX, I have replaced every part on it except the FC and the motors, and it still flies like a champ. Its the perfect pick up and fly aircraft.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is pretty cool
http://flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

jonnies
Dec 29, 2003
be particular, boy
Hi goons, I'm new to this thread, but this is a big hobby of mine. More than a hobby even. I actually sell these things. I only have relations with one manufacturer right now, DJI, but I am looking into others as well. I don't want to promote my site too heavily, but since this is a thread devoted wholly to this hobby, here it is (if this is against the rules I of course have no problem removing the link):

http://quadcoptercameras.com

I'd be happy to answer any questions about these products, take feedback on the site (which is relatively new), as well as offer a SECRET GOON DISCOUNT if there is sufficient interest.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
This is the best video from the NEFPV/TBRC meetup in NY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9aa9b2XoM

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ease posted:

This is the best video from the NEFPV/TBRC meetup in NY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9aa9b2XoM

That is really awesome. Love the launch at 0:15. After breaking my Caipirinha's prop with a bad launch I need a lot more practice at that.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A buddy of mine 3d printed me a bracket to mount the uhf antenna for my openlrs. It seems to work pretty well.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Nice, I just ordered the cables to mount my DTF UHF into a case I'm going to print. I'm going to drill a hole into the 9xr chasis and have the antenna come out near the top ports.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Cool. I designed this one to be easily swappable between my 2.4 module and antenna. I messed up my measurements for that antenna though and it doesn't quite fit through the channel in the center I left for it. I'll have to do another revision with a bit more clearance.

This only makes me want a 3d printer more now :allears:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Some formation flying with my brushless gimbal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfRqD-3t9E

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, Mashed found a nice big unused field within 30 mins driving range, so we went out there today to check it out. It's rather close to the approach to YVR, but otherwise perfect. Lots of mid length/short foilage, making it perfect to do less than perfect landings in.
I finally got the FT3D flying reasonably. Still not happy with the rudder authority on it at all, but elevator is now decent and roll rate is insane...and it can do some mean tumbles.
It's on the limit of what my cheapo-non-Nanotech Turnigy 1300mAh 4S lipos can handle, but I still got almost 5 minutes out of them.
I then stuck my 2200mAh 3S Nanotech on it. It needed a little more help when hand-launching, but actually flew nicely, if a little underpowered for 3D (The extra weight gave it some stability, I guess).
I then tried another pop-top (tumble), didn't quite go as I expected, but it no longer had the power to pull me out of trouble and while I did get the nose to horizontal, it still pancaked rather hard.
Only casualty looked to be one of the rubber bands holding the landing gear. Re-launched and it was way more stable, which I attributed to the lack of landing gear, but it would not hold knife edge!.
I then noticed a bit of dihedral to the wings, pulled in into a loop and yep, it got worse.
Landed it and the main balsa spar is broken. May be repairable...

Unless I can get the rudder issue sorted out, I don't think it's worth rebuilding, but I still wanted to do a handful more flight before buying then next one (Which will now probably be a Skywing 48" Edge or MX2). It did however prove that I can (apart from when trying to do underpowered tumbles), control the larger plane.

Also emailed one of the clubs, as they seem a bit more relaxed about 'rules' and they apparently have a decent group of 3D pilots, so I'm planning to check that out too.

Mashed's new wing looks awesome and is fast. He did have a bit of crash at the end, but came out of it unscathed. It just about flies forever, even at WOT.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Nice vid as usual VJ. Gimbal on a plane is pretty cool.

I finished this up today, besides FPV gear that needs to be mounted.

It's a Hoverthings FPV frame, converted to PVC tube arms using 3d printed mounts.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

Some formation flying with my brushless gimbal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfRqD-3t9E

That is really cool. Looks like some nice terrain to fly around. The gimbal gives an interesting effect on a fixed wing.

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......
Can anyone in the Denver area recommend some good spots for FPV flights?
I'm not looking to go super far, just want to try out a hobbyking setup on a tricopter and a bixler.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

LurkingAsian posted:

Can anyone in the Denver area recommend some good spots for FPV flights?
I'm not looking to go super far, just want to try out a hobbyking setup on a tricopter and a bixler.
Hey dude, not sure if you're a member but check out this thread of FPVLab.com
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20175-What-s-going-on-in-Colorado...

There's about 75 of us FPVers in Colorado registered on that site, the Denver area crew gets together regularly, sometimes every weekend depending on our schedules. We post in that thread when we're flying so keep an eye if you want to come check out our gear and learn some more about FPV.

Here's a compilation of some good flying sites we've found in the Denver area:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20175-What-s-going-on-in-Colorado...&p=358912&viewfull=1#post358912

Basically you gotta just read city/park/county rules and spend a lot of time on google earth. Douglas County allows RCs in any of their open space areas which is awesome, but horse people use them a lot and always complain...I hate horse people.

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......

Vitamin J posted:

Hey dude, not sure if you're a member but check out this thread of FPVLab.com
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20175-What-s-going-on-in-Colorado...

There's about 75 of us FPVers in Colorado registered on that site, the Denver area crew gets together regularly, sometimes every weekend depending on our schedules. We post in that thread when we're flying so keep an eye if you want to come check out our gear and learn some more about FPV.

Here's a compilation of some good flying sites we've found in the Denver area:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20175-What-s-going-on-in-Colorado...&p=358912&viewfull=1#post358912

Basically you gotta just read city/park/county rules and spend a lot of time on google earth. Douglas County allows RCs in any of their open space areas which is awesome, but horse people use them a lot and always complain...I hate horse people.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I downloaded the list from the site and a lot of those sites say(ranger warning), is it because flying is not allowed there? It seems like Aurora and Jefferson Country ban RC in all their parks/open space.

LurkingAsian fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 22, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Spar got repaired. I also got a new servo-reversal cable, so I could mount my ASX gyro.
Launched it, flew it around on low rates to get it trimmed out and was very happy. Super-stable (gyro, Yay!) and did a couple of loops and rolls. Flicked to high rates, picked up some speed, pulled back hard and...both wings decided to depart the fuselage.
Basically my spar repair just made it too inflexible and it broke cleanly on either side of the repair.
I still got some foamboard left and know a dude with a laser cutter, so I'll build a new one, this time using carbon fiber tubes for the main spar.
The actual build only takes a couple of hours...it was the printed covering that made this one take so long.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Flicked to high rates, picked up some speed, pulled back hard and...both wings decided to depart the fuselage.

It was pretty awesome. The fuselage kept going up for a couple of seconds :black101:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mashed_penguin posted:

It was pretty awesome. The fuselage kept going up for a couple of seconds :black101:

In hindsight, I should have tried to hover it back down..might have been able to save the prop!

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

So I'm building the Duster from the Flitetest planes and am in the process of putting the foam together. I ordered the electronics package called "the beef" from their lazertoyz.com site and got all that in.

I'm confused though as I'm looking at the "y" adapter only it doesn't look like a "y" adapter. To be honest, I've never seen one but I have a pretty good idea of what it should look like. It basically looks like they just sent me a servo extension. But just to make sure I'm not wrong, how do I hook up the y adapter for the ailerons?

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

rotaryfun posted:

I'm confused though as I'm looking at the "y" adapter only it doesn't look like a "y" adapter. To be honest, I've never seen one but I have a pretty good idea of what it should look like. It basically looks like they just sent me a servo extension.

This Y adapter, can you plug two servo wires into it on one end? It should be bigger than usual. Like this? http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Servo-Y-Cable-with-Inline-End-Receptacle.html.
If not, then yeah, they sent you an extension.

Either way you can make your own if you have a soldering iron and some shrink-wrap or electrical tape (plus have extra servo leads laying around). They are pretty low tech. Just solder the same 3 color wire ends together, for each of the 3 different colors. Make sure you have two female ends and one male when you're done. Beer seems to be the point of failure when I've messed this up in the past.

rotaryfun posted:

But just to make sure I'm not wrong, how do I hook up the y adapter for the ailerons?

In case you've never done this before with a Y adapter, just plug the wires coming from the servo into your adapter wherever they fit. Then plug the end that's left over into your Rx.
You may say, "well great, but now the servos move in the same direction, they're supposed to go in opposite directions".
Just mount them on the plane so they move in opposition to each other.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Here is a flight of mine from yesterday. Nothing special except for the crash at the end. No damage luckily. The Caipirniha seems pretty tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjy3CuuPltU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Widdershins posted:

This Y adapter, can you plug two servo wires into it on one end? It should be bigger than usual. Like this? http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Servo-Y-Cable-with-Inline-End-Receptacle.html.
If not, then yeah, they sent you an extension.

Yup, definitely an extension. I'll have to contact them and see if they can send the right cable.

I guess otherwise I'll just pick up the cable you linked. I'm not great with solder and don't have a helping hand thing. Plus it's not a terrible price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

rotaryfun posted:

I'll just pick up the cable you linked.

I only linked that as an example, you can find Y cable connectors for cheaper. Generally they look like the letter Y. Get a few as they come in handy!

rotaryfun posted:

I'm not great with solder and don't have a helping hand thing.

Seems like you're enjoying this hobby, so it wouldn't be a terrible idea to buy some helping hands and get some practice with the iron. I've seen those hands at dollar stores before. They don't have to be fancy. You'll save yourself money in the long run by being able to make your own cables.
It's not all that hard to solder a few wires together and it's not like the fate of thousands of dollars of equipment (or people's lives) rests in your ability to solder... these are foam board planes.

You can do it!