Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Training them to music is the best. I got Emily the seahorse and started playing it while she nursed to sleep when she was a couple weeks old, now I can put her in the cosleeper with the seahorse wedged between the bed and bassinet and she'll paw at it until she falls asleep. My only gripe is that it doesn't play very long so I have to hang out and keep firing up it every 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lyz posted:

Training them to music is the best. I got Emily the seahorse and started playing it while she nursed to sleep when she was a couple weeks old, now I can put her in the cosleeper with the seahorse wedged between the bed and bassinet and she'll paw at it until she falls asleep. My only gripe is that it doesn't play very long so I have to hang out and keep firing up it every 5 minutes.

I was sick of having to sneak into Sydney's room every 45 minutes to reset her white noise giraffe thing so I rigged up an old Android phone with this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mizusoft.relaxandsleep&hl=en

that seems to work well. You can set a timer and there's tons of different sounds that you can mix and match.

Does anyone have one of these YBikes? I'm thinking of ordering one for Sydney as she'll hit 9 months right at Christmas.
http://www.amazon.com/Pewi-Ybike-Ride-Walking-Buddy/dp/B004M0PSKG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Oh, and obligatory halloween photo:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I hit the kiddo jackpot, both of my kids are great sleepers, and both started sleeping though most of the night (6 hours at least, usually 11pm to 5am minimum) by 12 weeks old. In fact they turn into little punks if they don't get their beauty sleep even now.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We've been using cloth diapers for 9 or so months now. On vacation this last week we've used disposables. It was pretty nice. Not one leak all week. Finding it a bit hard to get excited about cloth again. Anyone want to remind me how good it is to use cloth and tell me all those leaks I remember will be gone now that we're back home.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
What kind of leaks are you having? Is the insert soaked when it happens? If so, you need to change more frequently or add more absorbency. If not, you might need to strip them. Also, think about how much those disposables cost you and multiply that by 9 months and consider how much money you've saved. And your kid probably won't be potty trained for over a year, so you've got a lot of diapers left to change.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Knowing the kind of leak matters. We don't really have leaks anymore except for occasionally at night. What kind of cloth are you using?

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
The only times I got leaks with cloth was when I used them overnight after Adeline started sleeping 6+ hours. Now I use a disposable for night time but the day is all cloth and I don't have any problems with leaks. What type are you using?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you like disposable there's no shame in it. They are so loving convenient.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We use two liners in our cloth 'night diaps' (both bamboo) which seems to prevent most leaks, though an occasional heavy piss night sometimes happens. I can't think of the last time we had a leak during the day.

Disposables really are convenient and we use them when we go out for a long day or up to the cottage where we don't have access to laundry (at least not every second day which we'd need for cloth diapers). I'd say we go through maybe 10-15 disposables a month this way, which is a number I'm fine with.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hdip posted:

We've been using cloth diapers for 9 or so months now. On vacation this last week we've used disposables. It was pretty nice. Not one leak all week. Finding it a bit hard to get excited about cloth again. Anyone want to remind me how good it is to use cloth and tell me all those leaks I remember will be gone now that we're back home.

Cloth diaper wearers potty train earlier and easier. That's going to be really awesome when the time comes.

Although you shouldn't be having leaks. Like others said, the only time we have leaks is when he occasionally stays in one diaper for the entire night, and even then the leak is usually just onto his clothes.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Yay. Thank you guys. Just what I wanted to hear. Plus I do think I need to strip the diapers. I'll try that later today after work and hopefully be reinvigorated.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
How early is socialization a good idea?

For various medical reasons my wife can't be an active mom right now so at times I'm doing just about everything (groceries, food, wake up, naps, changing, bath time, reading, cleanup, dishes, laundry, etc), though fortunately I work from home and we pay her sister to come clean once a week. Some days we're a two parent household at near 100%, some days I'm a single dad (almost literally).

Rudy is 10 months old now but he basically spends all his time here at home. We do try to take him places but often the only time I get out of the house is to grocery shop at night after he's asleep and other times I'm just too exhausted. He plays by himself no problem, though we both try to talk to him and interact with him as much as possible given her medical constraints and my workload.

Basically should I be trying to find some kind of dad/mom groups so he can see other kids? Is there anything like an SA parents group for different cities? (Now that I think about it, it would be nice to chat with another adult for a few minutes outside the house.)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Hey full time stay at home dad here. Find a gym in your city that offers "child watch" or some kind of baby sitting service while you exercise. Places like the YMCA generally have it. You can show up whenever and drop your kid off in a supervised environment with other kids for as long as they can handle. Short times at first.

Most libraries have "story time" which isn't super interactive but might let your baby get used to other kids and stuff.

In general I find it kinda difficult to interfere myself into things, might just be because I live in the heart of the Midwest but even things like the PTA are so woman dominated I feel weird being there. Those things I listed served me well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I Bjorn my five month old just about everywhere I go on the weekends so he gets to see a ton if things and a ton of people talk to him. We're putting him in day care soon which will have plenty of socialization.

For some reason he almost always falls asleep in grocery stores. Maybe the bright lights and ton of visual stimulation bonk him out.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Papercut posted:

Cloth diaper wearers potty train earlier and easier. That's going to be really awesome when the time comes.

Yeah, I remember reading this. Awesome, I thought. Ah, but there's a catch; they have to actually care that they are wet or soiled. Yes, they can feel it more than in disposables, and that sensation and awareness can lead to earlier training, but they have to give a poo poo. Every kid is different. :j:

My oldest was cloth diapered until he started nursery school (at 2) and didn't fully potty train until 4. He never cared if he was wet; pee could be running down his leg and not slow him down. Liam is 2.5 and is basically the same way. He cares if he's dirty, but could not care less if he is wet. That diaper could literally weigh two pounds with pee, and he doesn't care. We're working on peeing in the potty before bath (when he's already naked) and in the morning during clothes change (again, when he's already naked.)

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Ender.uNF posted:

How early is socialization a good idea?
Basically should I be trying to find some kind of dad/mom groups so he can see other kids? Is there anything like an SA parents group for different cities?

I don't know how necessary socialization is at that age, but it can't hurt and it would be a good way for you to get some interaction with other adults.

I would second the recommendation for library story time. If you are able to go a little early or stay a little late, you can usually chat with the parents waiting for it to start or letting their kids playing around after. Plus it is a good place to find a "new parent friend" that you can meet with outside of story time.

Two other things you might try are going to playgrounds/parks. Even with a kid under 1 you can find other parents with similar aged kids out playing. And finally many towns/cities have a listserv (frequently yahoo) for parents.

Good luck Ender!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
At that age, I did a ton of stuff with my kid. I don't work from home, I'm a stay-at-home mom so I have the time to find stuff for my kids to do.

I was taking him to lots of indoor playgrounds. They are more intimate than parks and you end up talking to more parents since you are in confined quarters. They work better before kids are walking, anyway, because the floors are clear to crawl on and there is less stuff for kids to randomly shove in their mouths (ie leaves, sand, etc). I took him to museums on free days, I took him to libraries for storytime, I took him to the zoo and I took him to lots of restaurants. My theory was that being exposed to lots of different sights, sounds, people and experiences would give him a good foundation of confidence on which he could expand as he got older. And it would expose him to lots of germs to strengthen his immune system. And the whole socialization thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh god a friend of mine with a two year old says he is having such a screaming fit any time they try to put him to bed he is vomiting. Then he goes to sleep with basically no protest after they clean it up.

That sounds a mix of actual anxiety and the attention seeking. Anyone dealt with anything like that? He apparently does this at bathtime too (he was vomiting at bathtime before but now seems to save it for bed, he just cries and wails during bath now).

I hope to god my kid doesn't do this. He already gets super mad putting his five month old self to bed (but he sleeps through the night at least)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

greatn posted:

Oh god a friend of mine with a two year old says he is having such a screaming fit any time they try to put him to bed he is vomiting. Then he goes to sleep with basically no protest after they clean it up.

That sounds a mix of actual anxiety and the attention seeking. Anyone dealt with anything like that? He apparently does this at bathtime too (he was vomiting at bathtime before but now seems to save it for bed, he just cries and wails during bath now).

I hope to god my kid doesn't do this. He already gets super mad putting his five month old self to bed (but he sleeps through the night at least)

That really sounds like something they should see a pediatrician about. At two years, the kid shouldn't be constantly vomiting.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Have any of you used that fisher price rocking giraffe? Target has a good deal with coupon stacking, so I was thinking of getting it for C but I'm not sure if he'll be tall enough for it at Christmas (10 months) or should wait until February and give it for his birthday.
Edit: he's almost 30 inches right now at almost 9 months.

What stocking stuffers do you get for a 10 month old? We're not going too crazy, I think he's gonna end up with 10 or so toys (most being small), but I'm lost as to what to put in his stocking.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lullabee posted:

Have any of you used that fisher price rocking giraffe? Target has a good deal with coupon stacking, so I was thinking of getting it for C but I'm not sure if he'll be tall enough for it at Christmas (10 months) or should wait until February and give it for his birthday.
Edit: he's almost 30 inches right now at almost 9 months.

What stocking stuffers do you get for a 10 month old? We're not going too crazy, I think he's gonna end up with 10 or so toys (most being small), but I'm lost as to what to put in his stocking.

Put the leftover wrapping paper into his stocking. By my experience this is the best possible gift for a toddler, as per how much each part of the gift gets played with.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My kids cared more about the paper and the boxes at that age than the actual toys. We don't really get our kids much for Christmas anymore, we have a pretty large extended family, and they tend to go overboard since we don't live close and they don't see them that often.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Boxes and wrapping paper were a huge hit last year at 5 months and I'm betting it'll be the same this year.

Maybe you could look into a membership somewhere? Babies love looking at stuff. We have ones to the zoo and botanical garden and we're joining the aquarium as a gift. This way it gives something to do year round and there is less clutter (until grandma visits and you leave with a good portion of the gift shop).

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Does enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) work as well on barf odors as it does on pet odors? If not, what works best for you? My toddler's had a tummy bug this week, throwing up mostly at night, and he sleeps with us, so he barfs on us (read: me. all the time), and we all smell just terrible. :(

I'm sick myself, and was so tired last night I just Febreezed the mattress and pillows, laid down extra towels, and went to bed, but the smell...it has defeated Febreeze.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Chicken McNobody posted:

Does enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) work as well on barf odors as it does on pet odors? If not, what works best for you? My toddler's had a tummy bug this week, throwing up mostly at night, and he sleeps with us, so he barfs on us (read: me. all the time), and we all smell just terrible. :(

I'm sick myself, and was so tired last night I just Febreezed the mattress and pillows, laid down extra towels, and went to bed, but the smell...it has defeated Febreeze.

Yes, enzyme cleaners work great on anything that comes out of a baby, vomit and poop. We're expecting our second, and we're stocking up for the invariable poopsplosion.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's good for breast milk stains? I have a few on the couch from where my wife fell asleep without having pads in.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Thanks for the membership suggestion - I think well do something like that.

We do a good amount of presents because we don't really have extended family who buy for us/him. Were 1700 miles away, so they won't be buying for any of us. So, were his main source of everything. My mom and his sister have given us a few things, but it's mostly just clothes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

greatn posted:

What's good for breast milk stains? I have a few on the couch from where my wife fell asleep without having pads in.

I don't know if there's some equivalent in an american store, but this thing is great for pet, breast, and vomit stains.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0436270P/no-bissell-little-green-compact-multi-purpose-cleaner-reviews/reviews.htm

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

greatn posted:

Oxyclean. I use it for everything. Stains on the floor (pet messes, spills), I sprinkle it on the use one of those small Bissel rug cleaners to scrub/rinse. Milk, puke, poop, I soak the clothes in a bowl with oxyclean water until I remember that it's still there (a few hours,a few days) and everything - everything - comes out in the wash. Smooth surfaces I use a washrag dampened with oxy/water.

Amazon sends me a five pound box every other month, and it's my go-to baby shower gift.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chicken McNobody posted:

BioKleen BacOut. 2 years ago, I did a road trip across country with my kid. At one point, he had a sippy cup failure that resulted in 12 ounces of milk spilling all over the carseat and the back seat and carpet of the car during a nationwide heat wave. The next morning, I opened the car door and the smell was so awful I threw up on the street. I had to drive to a health food store with my head sticking out of the open window to buy some BioKleen (thank god we had reached my grandmother's house by that point and I could leave him with her!). Got to the store, bought the stuff, sprayed it all over the seat and 1 minute later it was like there had never been a spill. It's pretty awesome on stains too.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
E is 12 and a half months now. He has had a dairy and egg allergy. My wife is breastfeeding and cut dairy and eggs out of her diet. She reintroduced dairy into her diet last month and he has been fine for a month.

We tested giving him an ounce of whole cow's milk in a bottle on Friday. He basically refused it. We tried again on Saturday in a straw cup. Both times he drank a few mouthfuls but mostly refused it. Last night he sounded a bit congested. Today he sounds much more congested. He has no other symptoms that I can notice. No rash, no blood in diaper. He also doesn't seem to have any being sick symptoms. No fever, no drop in energy or mood.

He's just stuffy. Your thoughts on this being a reaction to milk? Or did he get sick from our airplane flights and traveling last week? If he still sounds congested tomorrow we'll take him into the doctor. (EDIT: The internet is scary to read when you're worried about a baby. I called doctor's line and they said monitor tonight and take him in tomorrow if he still sounds congested)

Sidenote: I stripped our cloth diapers with blue dawn and I think it helped. He still leaked last night but overnight is a long time to go. I'll try to add a bamboo insert along with the microfiber and see if that helps overnight. I'm using kawaii pocket diapers and the leaks seem to be coming out the leg gussets so the sides of his onsie where it snaps between legs is wet.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 10, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I'd say it's most likely to be from the traveling or just grocery shopping. My little guy took a long time to really like cow's milk. I think he only really started liking it around 19 or 20 months.

edit: does he have a dairy allergy or a dairy intolerance?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

greatn posted:

Our eldest is two and he hates the very concept of sleep. He wails and cries when we try to put him to sleep and cries whenever he wakes up in the night. Some kids just aren't good sleepers. He usec to cry and vomit while fighting sleep, but that was mainly when he also had a cold and the crying would trigger the vomiting.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We ended up going to the emergency room last night for peace of mind. LittleDip had "croup". It's real sad when he cries :) He sounds a bit better today though.

Mom has been using an Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump. It was fine until recently. She's gone back and forth with tech support from the Ameda a few times now. Replacing different parts even getting a new unit sent out. One side of the pump will not have the suction the other side has. She's basically over this pump now as she'll only pump about 1 ounce per pumping session. We've gone through all of our frozen milk and she goes back to work again tomorrow.

She wants a new pump. Should we just buy the Medela Pump In Style? Is there a better option? Planning on nursing for 6 more months. He get's 2 bottles while she's at work.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hdip posted:

We ended up going to the emergency room last night for peace of mind. LittleDip had "croup". It's real sad when he cries :) He sounds a bit better today though.

Mom has been using an Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump. It was fine until recently. She's gone back and forth with tech support from the Ameda a few times now. Replacing different parts even getting a new unit sent out. One side of the pump will not have the suction the other side has. She's basically over this pump now as she'll only pump about 1 ounce per pumping session. We've gone through all of our frozen milk and she goes back to work again tomorrow.

She wants a new pump. Should we just buy the Medela Pump In Style? Is there a better option? Planning on nursing for 6 more months. He get's 2 bottles while she's at work.

If she wants super efficient but not portable, renting a Medela Symphony can be cheaper than buying another pump. Personally, I wasn't a fan of the Pump in Style and got more with the Freestyle, but nothing compared to the Symphony for comfort and quantity.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Yeah, seconding renting a Symphony. From the hospital near me, it was $30 a month and everyone who I know who used it said it was worth every single penny.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Are you in the states? Her health insurance should cover one if so. Mine covered a medela pump in style advanced. It not then renting might be cheaper depending on how long she wants to pump. It's $75/mo here.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah renting varies. It's like 50 here. It's possible the lovely Ameda pump was already free, that's what my wife got and it's garbage.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
My wife is due with our second on December 9th. I'm starting to freak out a tad...with the 2.5 year old slamming doors at 6am, running around everywhere.

I feel like this is a whole new dimension I'm not ready for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Compared to your 2.5 year old the baby will be easy, especially when it isn't mobile.