Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So BBRY...

Curious what everyone thinks about the bomb being dropped today re: replacement CEO and no more for sale sign.

I am just glad I sold when it was in the $15 range.

For a company with little to no debt and a large cash reserve, they sure are shooting themselves in the foot over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you FN for another absurd quarter.

Wish I owned more :(

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah.. I keep having to roll my covered calls on csiq, I've been holding since 12. Like, another 8% today, what the hell.

How do you like $CSIQ going into earnings?

Lightning Zwei fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 5, 2013

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
TSLA actually citing non-GAAP revenue. Oh boy

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

fougera posted:

Holy poo poo, down 10%. :laffo:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

quote:

By Joachim Dagenborg
OSLO, Nov 5 (Reuters) - Norway's opposition Labour Party has proposed banning the country's $800 billion wealth fund from investing in coal producers, a motion that may gain traction as several outside backers of the minority government expressed support.
"We believe that humans are responsible for climate change so we must also see what we can do to reduce emissions," Labour Party finance spokesman Jonas Gahr Stoere said in a statement.
The fund, the world's largest sovereign wealth fund, is a major shareholder in some of the biggest coal miners on the planet, including global giants BHP Billiton , Vale and Anglo American, as well as China's top producer, China Shenhua .
The fund, also known as the oil fund, cannot invest in companies that produce nuclear weapons, landmines, cluster bombs, tobacco or firms involved in severe environmental damage, gross corruption, or systematic human rights violation.
The finance ministry on several occasions instructed the fund to divest from specific companies. Among miners, these include Rio Tinto because of alleged environmental damage and Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan for alleged ethical violation.
"This is something we have been working on quite independently of the Labour Party," Terje Breivik, deputy leader of the Liberal Party, said. "We believe it is possible to go further and consideration should be given to divest all investments related to fossil fuels."
The Christian Democrats also said they sympathised with the motion.
"I think there's a good chance this motion could pass," Christian Democrat parliamentarian and finance committee chair Hans Olav Syversen said.
Prime Minister Erna Solberg rules in a minority and relies on the Liberals and Christian Democrats for support, so her government lacks enough votes to block a motion supported by all other parties.
However, no action is imminent as Labour said it would bring its proposal to the table in the spring, during regular review of the fund.
Norwegian public broadcaster NRK estimates that the oil fund holds close to $10 billion of assets in coal miners.
An exclusion would put the government in a difficult position as it owns a coal mine and coal-fired power station in Norway's Arctic Svalbard islands, and the fund itself was built from surplus revenues on oil and gas production.
The finance ministry could not immediately comment. It will present a report on ethical investment by the fund on Nov. 11. (Writing by Balazs Koranyi; Editing by Dale Hudson)

"We believe that fossil fuels contribute to global warming, so we plan to not invest socialized profits from our oil and gas industry in coal producing companies"

:norway:

Do what I say, not what I do I guess...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fougera posted:

Most tech companies do.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Cheesemaster200 posted:

"We believe that fossil fuels contribute to global warming, so we plan to not invest socialized profits from our oil and gas industry in coal producing companies"

Couldn't they just sell it off pretty easily if it mattered?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Economist had a pretty good article on that thing (the fund) a couple weeks ago.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

koolkal posted:

Couldn't they just sell it off pretty easily if it mattered?

It is a fund for the people of Norway and it is supposed to have a decent return. Limiting it in its investments and then forcing it to sell off physical assets is not going to help its bottom line.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Lightning Zwei posted:

How do you like $CSIQ going into earnings?

I mean, I have more than 100% gain, so I'll probably sell that poo poo beforehand.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

EBAY running on possible announcement tweet of an Icahn bump :swoon:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

TSLA not having a happy morning.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Mills posted:

TSLA not having a happy morning.

I knew it would be bad when the usual boosters weren't giving us a daily recap of their paper gains. :allears:

But, man, what a haircut.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Stifel Nicolaus put out a piece this morning suggesting it was a good sell too.

Edit: Actually they talked it down but called it a hold.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to find a 'getting started in options' book, but the one in the OP is pretty drat expensive. I found this one which some people recommend, anyone read it and is it worth my 15 bucks? Any other good options fundamentals books that aren't over 50 bucks? Or is Options as a Strategic Investment that good that I just shouldn't muck around and bite the bullet?

edit: alternate is the 1992 edition of Options as a Strategic Investment is like 15 bucks, some have said the newer version just has a paper tacked onto the end about the 2008 downturn. The core of the theory is the same in the new and old editions, would just buying the old one make sense?

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 6, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
You want to trade options but don't want it to cost you any money

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

lightpole posted:

Yeah that's exactly what he said.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lightpole posted:

I'm looking to maximize the return on my investment.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Tony Montana posted:

I'm looking to maximize the return on my investment.

The orders I put in for options carry commissions of at least $50, and usually closer to $60 or $70 per order. I usually run at least two such orders each month. If you can't drop that kind of money on a book to learn what you're doing, option investing is probably not for you. The book, at least, is a sure thing.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hey I'm pretty sure the guy just wanted to know if it is worth it to pay for the newer version or if the older version would be good enough. Why spend 3 times the money on a new edition if the older one is almost the same?

Jumping on him for not instantly paying for the most expensive book is pretty silly.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
May have been a joke, I have noticed people making jokes on this message board before.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Uranium 235 posted:

Hey I'm pretty sure the guy just wanted to know if it is worth it to pay for the newer version or if the older version would be good enough. Why spend 3 times the money on a new edition if the older one is almost the same?

Jumping on him for not instantly paying for the most expensive book is pretty silly.

I appreciate value as much as the next person, but I think the real point is that if you theoretically couldn't afford the time/money to read/buy a few editions of a $12 kindle book and then decide which was the best, then you probably shouldn't even be considering executing an actual options trade.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 7, 2013

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
This looks like the stupidest thing in the world, and I don't quite know how they can "almost guarantee" a 300% rise in the stock. Maybe I'll throw a $100 at it to say that I lost $100?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Leviathan posted:

I appreciate value as much as the next person, but I think the real point is that if you theoretically couldn't afford the time/money to read/buy a few editions of a $12 kindle book and then decide which was the best, then you probably shouldn't even be considering executing an actual options trade.

I was just asking if anyone wanted to share with me any insight into the book recommended in the OP. I have plenty of money and plenty of time. Has anyone that has responded to me read the book?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Sorry, I haven't read the book.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 7, 2013

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Josh Lyman posted:

Most tech companies do.

Tesla sells cars not software or web views. I drat sure want to know what the depreciation and or impairment on the PPE is. It would probably be nice to know the car buy back liability also.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

Tesla sells cars not software or web views. I drat sure want to know what the depreciation and or impairment on the PPE is. It would probably be nice to know the car buy back liability also.

No no you see, Tesla has invented a new form of car, wherein you download it onto a USB drive and then fairies happen because something something. :buddy:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Looks like it's stabilizing around where you would have been able to get it on the first trade. The question is, since this is a lot better outcome than the FB IPO, do we throw a little gambling money TWTR's way?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Josh Lyman posted:

Looks like it's stabilizing around where you would have been able to get it on the first trade. The question is, since this is a lot better outcome than the FB IPO, do we throw a little gambling money TWTR's way?

I would not but as I pointed out elsewhere when people compared market caps of places like Best Buy, Tesla, Whole Foods, Macy, Schwab, and the Gap all of those business use Twitter to some degree to drive sales and engage with customers.

I wonder how you really should think about Twitter. Is it Internet or a core services company or both?

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013
TWTR priced higher than FB? Get the gently caress out of here. I'll buy it next year at $18 like I would've done with FB if I had the money back then.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Lightning Zwei posted:

TWTR priced higher than FB? Get the gently caress out of here. I'll buy it next year at $18 like I would've done with FB if I had the money back then.

Market cap

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Lightning Zwei posted:

All your posts in this thread are even more terrifying with this as context.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lightning Zwei posted:

TWTR is currently valued at roughly 21.4% of FB. Are you really just comparing stock price and making inferences on the market cap from that?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lightning Zwei posted:

You uh... you should probably stay away from investing until you understand what you've actually said.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tesla owner crashes into a trailer hitch, fire ensues, driver leaves uninjured: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101180014

How the hell do you crash into a trailer hitch? What are the chances a normal car would have caught fire? And now the NHTSA wants to open an investigation into the safety of the Model S? The fact that the driver wasn't hurt is completely overlooked and I think I might have to dump my shares just because people are stupid and markets are stupider.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'm blaming TSLA for all the growth stocks vomitting these past two days

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Small caps and emerging markets have been getting annihilated...

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
Today's action in $TWTR was not pretty at all.

Opening and closing in the same price is just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Sanky Panky posted:

Today's action in $TWTR was not pretty at all.

Opening and closing in the same price is just terrible.

Except that the closing price is 70% above IPO price